Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,423

Final Preseason Game: Rams at Pack - 6:00 pm 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 pm

PACKERS (2-1) vs. RAMS (2-1)

When: 6 p.m. Thursday.

Where: Lambeau Field.

Broadcast: Radio - WTMJ AM 620. Television – Channel 4 in Milwaukee, NBC 26 in Green Bay and the Packers Television Network across the state.

Injury report: Packers – OT Bryan Bulaga (ankle), LB Nick Perry (ankle) LB Clay Matthews (groin tightness), OLB Jayrone Elliott (back), DT Montravius Adams (foot), LB Jordan Tripp (concussion) and OL Don Barclay (ankle) are not expected to play; S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (knee), S Jermaine Whitehead (ankle), C/G Lucas Patrick (concussion) are questionable. Rams – Rams TE Temarrick Hemingway (broken leg), WR Tavon Austin (hamstring) and DL Dominique Easley (knee) won’t play.

5 things to watch

1. Get your program: The Rams are expected to hold out most, if not all, of their starters for a second straight game. The Packers are expected to sit a large portion of their starters. So, make sure you have a roster or program nearby because there will be a lot of players you won’t be able to identify.

2. Edgar’s influence: Coach Mike McCarthy is turning over the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett for this game. McCarthy typically does that in the fourth game for two reasons: It gives his coordinator experience at calling a game and it allows him to focus on evaluating personnel during the game.

3. Turnover time: The defense has caused six turnovers in three games, which isn’t bad, but as defensive coordinator Dom Capers pointed out, there could have been many more. Opponents have fumbled nine times yet the defense has recovered only three. There have been two or three opportunities for interceptions that were dropped. This should be a game where turnover opportunities will be abundant.

4. Crosby, Vogel and Goode: They’re not a classic rock group, but they need to be heard from this season if the Packers are going to go anywhere. Assuming Vogel makes the team as the punter, they will be the three legs of the kick-scoring team. Goode won the long-snapping job from Derek Hart and so there’s stability in the operation. McCarthy may want to test them from long distances.

5. Many happy returns: Special teams coach Ron Zook has his punt returner in Trevor Davis and likely his kickoff returner in Jeff Janis. But he probably would like to see more production with Janis and some return potential from Aaron Jones or Devante Mays so he has backup options. Randall Cobb is likely to be the backup to Davis on punts.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Final Preseason Game: Rams at Pack - 6:00 pm 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Here are 10 players who figure to be on the spot against the Rams:

Michael Clark, wide receiver: Perversely, the Packers might not mind if Clark struggled against the Rams. At 6-5½, 215 pounds and with remarkable leaping ability, Clark is the ideal practice-squad project for wide receivers coach Luke Getsy. But if Clark shows too much against the Rams, general manager Ted Thompson will have to consider putting him on the 53-man roster amid an already deep receiving corps. Clark's name has generated significant buzz during training camp, and the Packers don’t want to lose him on the waiver wire. Clark has four catches for 34 yards and a touchdown through three exhibition games.

Malachi Dupre, wide receiver: Dupre could feel sorry for himself entering this preseason finale. He was starting to find his stride early in camp when a devastating hit from Philadelphia Eagles safety Tre Sullivan resulted in a concussion, knocking him out for two weeks. In the middle of camp, it was an inopportune time to be absent. Yet Dupre has shown potential when healthy. He’s a smooth route runner, and adjusting to NFL speed hasn’t been too difficult for the former LSU receiver after spending three seasons against pro-caliber corners in the SEC. Dupre could benefit from a year on the practice squad to get stronger, and that’s his most likely destination this season. With Geronimo Allison starting the season serving a one-game suspension, Dupre’s chances at cracking the 53-man roster can’t be discounted with a big night against the Rams.

Reggie Gilbert, outside linebacker: It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t like Gilbert’s ability. He has made significant strides after spending last season on the Packers' practice squad, gaining more confidence as an outside linebacker after being a college defensive end at Arizona. Clay Matthews said Gilbert made the biggest improvement of any player on last season’s practice squad. Outside linebackers coach Winston Moss said he has seen Gilbert’s growth from last season carry onto the field this preseason. Gilbert had a sack in each of the past two exhibitions, though he lost gap control on a touchdown run in Denver. Ahmad Brooks’ signing could mean a second straight appearance on the practice squad for Gilbert, but the Packers are unlikely to have rookie Vince Biegel to start the season. If the Packers keep an additional, sixth outside linebacker, Gilbert figures to be the top candidate.

Taysom Hill, quarterback: It’s likely Brett Hundley will start the game, but don’t be surprised if Hill is in there after a series or two. In practice this week, Hill worked with the third team, moving ahead of Joe Callahan in the pecking order. Everything is set up for him to make a move for the No. 3 quarterback spot. He will have to be so good that the Packers feel he will be claimed if they waive him. So far, he has been pretty impressive, completing 10 of 16 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown. His 105.7 passer rating leads the team. In seven series, Hill has produced touchdown drives of eight plays and 82 yards and seven plays of 65 yards and eight first downs. He ranks second on the team in rushing with eight carries for 52 yards and a touchdown.

Brian Price, nose tackle: At 6-3, 318 pounds, Price is a load inside. His pass rush remains raw, but Price has proven to be a strong run defender on the interior. He’s the top backup behind Kenny Clark at nose tackle, and even though the Packers rarely play their base 3-4 defense, coordinator Dom Capers said he still values the nose tackle position. “You still need a big guy in the middle of that defense,” Capers said Tuesday. Price, likely battling Christian Ringo for one roster spot on the defensive line, figures to get a lot of snaps against the Rams. If the Packers want to ensure they have more than one true nose tackle on their roster, their preference might be Price.

Christian Ringo, defensive end: A sixth-round pick in 2015, Ringo played only 75 snaps last season and failed to force a pressure. He flashed better pass-rush ability than his rookie year but lacked the type of consistency to get him on the field each week. Now, with two years under his belt, Ringo is playing better and had solid performances in Washington and Denver the last two weeks. But the bottom line is that Price (6-2½, 318) plays nose tackle with a presence the undersized Ringo (6-0½, 300) can’t match. If it comes down to those two, Ringo might be on the outside looking in without a killer performance against the Rams.

Jason Spriggs, tackle: The second-year tackle has become a lightning rod after giving up sacks in each of the first three exhibition games. The coaches decided to go with Kyle Murphy ahead of him despite the fact Spriggs was drafted in the second round to be a swing tackle and started two games last season. His loss of confidence has been pretty apparent. Even in practice, he has suffered hiccups in one-on-one pass rush and team drills, making it imperative that he work himself back to a more positive place. The coaches need to be completely confident in him backing up left tackle David Bakhtiari. Spriggs won’t have to face the best the Rams have to offer but he needs to start somewhere.

Justin Vogel, punter: As long as he doesn’t engage in a shank-fest, his chances of making the team are pretty solid. His numbers have been good — 45.2 gross average, 42.6 net, seven inside the 20 and one touchback on 17 attempts — but of late his kicks have been a little shaky. He could really help his confidence and the coaches’ confidence in him by launching some high hangers that swing field position in the Packers’ favor. In the game against Denver, he averaged a modest 44.0 gross and 38.3 net with a high-altitude advantage at Sports Authority Stadium at Mile High. Vogel hasn’t had competition in camp, but he is competing against all those punters who will wind up on the street after 3 p.m. Saturday.

DeAngelo Yancey, wide receiver: Regardless of what he accomplished in training camp, Yancey always was going to benefit from being a fifth-round pick. Thompson hordes draft picks like Halloween candy, and the notion of cutting a fifth-round pick is somewhat foreign in these parts. In other words, Yancey has a clearer path to the roster than fellow rookie Dupre, a seventh-round pick. Yancey lost 13 pounds between minicamp in June and training camp in late July and quickly regained the big-play explosiveness that defined his career at Purdue. He looked terrific in the first exhibition against the Eagles but has cooled off. A groin injury sidelined him for a week of practice prior to the trip to Washington. He’s squarely on the fence.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,696

Post#3 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm

Would love to keep Clark but we're already stacked at WR and TE. Jordy, Cobb, Davante, Davis, and Allison are pretty much your locks there. Janis, Dupre, Yancy, McCaffrey, Crockett, and Clark are all battling for that 6th WR spot. Don't think we keep 7 with 3 TE's (Rodgers, Bennett, Kendricks).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I just don't think you can so easily risk losing a guy with Clark's physical ability. The guys he's competing for a spot are just that. Guys. I don't think it's any great loss if Janis, DuPre, Yancy, etc. get lost to waivers. But it'd hurt to lose someone who by all accounts is a jump ball monster. I'd keep him on the 53.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

I agree. It's always tough for a GM to keep a FA over a draft pick but in this case I'd keep Clark and cut one of the others. I think DuPree or Yancy have a better shot of clearing waivers and being on the PS than Clark does.

Jordy is 32, Cobb may be gone after this year. We need to keep the WR position loaded.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#6 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 pm

LOL at the media hyping up Clark like he has a real chance at the 53. 0 percent chance. Same with Dupree and the thinking we can trade one of them

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Final Preseason Game: Rams at Pack - 6:00 pm 

Post#7 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I agree. It's always tough for a GM to keep a FA over a draft pick but in this case I'd keep Clark and cut one of the others. I think DuPree or Yancy have a better shot of clearing waivers and being on the PS than Clark does.

Jordy is 32, Cobb may be gone after this year. We need to keep the WR position loaded.

You're falling way to much into the hype. If you read JS you would think miles white would be in the hall by now. The WR group of Yancy, Dupree, Mcaffery and Clark is not that good to warrant keeping over 6 on the roster. Not to mention the amount of times the TE group will be split out wide

DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,142

Post#8 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I just don't think you can so easily risk losing a guy with Clark's physical ability. The guys he's competing for a spot are just that. Guys. I don't think it's any great loss if Janis, DuPre, Yancy, etc. get lost to waivers. But it'd hurt to lose someone who by all accounts is a jump ball monster. I'd keep him on the 53.

Agree. I'd be more than happy to trade a guy like Randall Cobb to keep him, too. Just don't see the need/targets for Cobb with our TE additions.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Final Preseason Game: Rams at Pack - 6:00 pm 

Post#9 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:09 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I agree. It's always tough for a GM to keep a FA over a draft pick but in this case I'd keep Clark and cut one of the others. I think DuPree or Yancy have a better shot of clearing waivers and being on the PS than Clark does.

You're falling way to much into the hype. If you read JS you would think miles white would be in the hall by now. The WR group of Yancy, Dupree, Mcaffery and Clark is not that good to warrant keeping over 6 on the roster. Not to mention the amount of times the TE group will be split out wide

Nah. Clark's size and athleticism separates himself from the rest of the rooks. Theres no way he makes it to the practice squad if left off the 53.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Final Preseason Game: Rams at Pack - 6:00 pm 

Post#10 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:35 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:

Nah. Clark's size and athleticism separates himself from the rest of the rooks. Theres no way he makes it to the practice squad if left off the 53.

Sounds like a bet. 4 week self ban sound like a deal?

DanoMac wrote:

JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#11 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 pm

4 week self ban? :lol:

Nah. I'm good on that. Down for a gentleman's bet however. So...

I win if:

1) Clark makes the 53
2) Clark gets cut and doesn't make it back to the Packers' practice squad due to being on another team's 53

You win if:

1) Clark gets cut, no other team picks him up, and he ends up on the Packers' practice squad, or completely out of the league.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Clark could get "injured" and spend the year on IR
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#13 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Clark could get "injured" and spend the year on IR

Can't practice though, right? He is a guy that 1000% percent needs practice. This all guys being cut at once because they don't trim down the rosters any more is the reason why he could make it on to the practice squad.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#14 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Clark could get "injured" and spend the year on IR

Can't practice though, right? He is a guy that 1000% percent needs practice. This all guys being cut at once because they don't trim down the rosters any more is the reason why he could make it on to the practice squad.

That's a good point, but at this point in the season your entire scouting team has been around the building the last 3 to 4 weeks scouting other teams. They should have their list of players they want to go after in the event they get cut.
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#15 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 pm

With their being a 90 man roster compared to the 75 man roster last year for game 4, those who have a big forth game has to be taken with a larger grain of salt. A lot more ditch diggers playing in game 4 this year than last year. With that said I still this is best option, I think i remember last year because of numbers Joe Thomas had to play the entire game before week 1 because of depth. Won't be an issue this year.
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#16 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 pm

What i'm watching.

Hill-I don't see a reason to carry 3 QB's this year but we have carried in the past guys like graham harrel & Callahan. Hill's 27 and in 2 or 3 years he could improve to be a solid qb 2, but by then his wheels will have fallen off. A good 2 quarters for Hill could make MM push TT to waste another roster spot this year

Jones/Mays-Jones has the upper hand so far this preseason, but I don't think he's done anything that really stands out. This is a spot where we could get a guy off another roster.

McCaffrey/Yancy-I have the Packers carrying 6 WR's on the final 53 on the final roster and possibly 7 when Allison gets back. Also had Yancy as a no way last week, but I was undervaluing TT giving up that quickly on a 5th rounder.

Patrik/Kofia-Patrik's only shot at the roster is A) being healthy B)Barclay not not being healthy C) Lights out performance D) No other back up center gets released. On Kofia if Barclay is hurt theirs no way he makes the roster, but if Barclay is injured and with his potential then he could make a push for the Packers to carry 9 OL.

CB/ILB/S/TE/FB I think those spots are set, only thing I could see is a low level trade for one of the CB's/S

Gilbert-Really needs to have a good start, because I'm sure the Rams back up Tackles are awful. I think he makes the roster, but again could easily be replaced by finding another guy on cut day.

Ringo/Price-While a good performance from either would help both are vastly different players and will rely on how long Adams is out. Also wouldn't be shocked if they go at the DL when they activate Allison.

Vogel-Don't BJ Sander it and you're in.
DanoMac wrote:

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#17 » by bizarro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm

I want nothing short of complete and utter dominance. Yardage records. TD records. Sack records. Broken Pass records.

Clark will simultaneously catch a fade pass for his 4th TD while setting a high jump record (per vue cam data). I want Spriggs to find his inner Tony Boselli. It's clearly there - it's simply dormant...like cryogenically dormant. Taysom Hill...he's going to rush for 200 yds and throw for 1,000. Mike McCarthy; he'll shave. Ted Thompson; he'll wear a Hawaiian shirt.

The path to another Super Bowl victory starts tonight. I predict said Super Bowl route will be forecasted, tonight, by the collective playing performances of the sneaky Calvin Heurtelou and the ever mysterious (if unrecognizable) Josh Letuligasenoa.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#18 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Goodbye Lucas Patrik. McGray now with a long shot to make the roster.
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#19 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Reported Hundley playing the entire half. If that happens they're not keeping 3 qb's. That's actually really good news for the WR's.
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#20 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Awful idea playing House and Rollins, eve worse sending Rollins back at punt return.
DanoMac wrote:

Return to Green Bay Packers