Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:03 pm

TEAMS: Green Bay Packers (0-0) vs. Seattle Seahawks (0-0)

WHEN: 3:25 p.m. Sunday.

WHERE: Lambeau Field.

TELEVISION: Fox.

RADIO: AM-620 in Milwaukee, AM-1360 in Green Bay; Packers Radio Network

SERIES: Packers lead, 10-7 regular season, 2-1 postseason.

LINE: Packers by 3.

WEATHER: Low 70s.

SURFACE: DD GrassMaster.

COACHES: Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy (124-69-1) vs. Seattle’s Pete Carroll (113-79-1).

5 THINGS TO WATCH

THE EARL OF CENTER FIELD: When the Packers beat up the Seahawks 38-10 last December at Lambeau Field, Earl Thomas was not at his familiar free safety position. He was lost for the season with a broken leg. Aaron Rodgers had a masterful day, posting a 150.8 passer rating. Thomas’ replacement, Steven Terrell, was no match for the Packers’ receivers. Now, Thomas is back to patrol the middle of the field. He has been described as the heart and soul of Seattle’s defense. “He’s a monster controlling sideline to sideline,” receiver Davante Adams said. Thomas is still looking for his first interception against Rodgers.

FOUR SQUARE: The Seahawks have had some solid front fours in their time under coach Pete Carroll, but trading for talented defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson raises the bar. If Carroll can get the underachieving Richardson to buy in to what the Seahawks are doing, Seattle will have one of the best fronts in the league. “He is such a unique three-technique and run and pass defender, pass rusher,” Carroll said. “He has a chance to really help us, to get confident with what Michael Bennett can do and what Cliff Avril can do and Jarran Reed and Frankie Clark. I think it has a real big upside.”

MIND YOUR MATTERS: Last year, the Packers did an OK job of keeping their cool against the Seahawks, who like to push the limits when it comes playing beyond the whistle. Randall Cobb managed to stay calm after Jeremy Lane took a shot at him as the Packers kneeled down at the end of the half. Adams almost lost his cool when Richard Sherman popped him in the back away from the play. Datone Jones had the only roughness penalty for the Packers. “We know what kind of players they are and some of the plays they’ve made and things they’ve done after the whistle,” Cobb said. “You prepare for that.”

NEXT MAN UP: Ty Montgomery can’t play the entire game, so one of the rookies is going to fill in for him at some point. Jamaal Williams has been the No. 2 all camp, but Aaron Jones finished strong and led all backs with a 5.5-yard average. Jones has made strides in pass protection but is it enough? “It’s like most of the time he’s been in there, particularly when we do one-on-ones with the linebackers, it’s been first rep, he doesn’t strike like he wants,” running backs coach Ben Sirmans said. “But one thing about him, he’s extremely coachable. Then I throw him right back in there he stones the linebacker because he does exactly what you want. One thing about him is he has the heart to step up and pass block. He’s not afraid at all.”

SET, HUT: By now you would think the Seahawks would be on to Rodgers. His hard count has gotten them to jump offside more times then they would like to admit. In the last two games at Lambeau Field, Seattle was called for offside five times. They also were called for 12 men on the field twice. Rodgers knows he has to keep the front four off balance with his cadence. “The key is trying to slow them down a little bit,” Rodgers said. “We’ve done a decent job at home the last couple times against them, against the pass rush. But it’s using the cadence, it’s using the backs and tight ends and different protection schemes to try to slow them down.”

- Tom Silverstein
OUR PREDICTIONS

TOM SILVERSTEIN

Home-field advantage didn't mean much for New England on Thursday night, but it may be just what the Packers need to get off to a fast start. Packers 24, Seahawks 20

PETE DOUGHERTY

Seattle’s already-stout defense got even better with last week’s trade for Sheldon Richardson, but his impact probably will be greater later in the season. The guess here is that home field and Aaron Rodgers’ assortments of weapons will be just enough to carry the day. Packers 24, Seahawks 20

RYAN WOOD

There's a reason the Packers scurried to address their edge rush late in the preseason. Barring injury, it might be the one thing that keeps this team from the Super Bowl. Whatever issues they have rushing the passer, it shouldn't matter against Seattle. The Seahawks offensive line is poor, ripe for pressuring quarterback Russell Wilson. Packers 27, Seahawks 23

MICHAEL COHEN

The combination of off-season additions and the natural evolution of players already here has left Aaron Rodgers with more toys than FAO Schwarz. Even the Legion of Boom is poorly equipped to stop the Packers. Rodgers and Co. should win comfortably to open the season on a high note. Packers 31, Seahawks 20

AARON NAGLER

The Seahawks defense has grabbed plenty of national headlines this week, for good reason. It should be one of the league's best this season. But Aaron Rodgers' use of cadence and ability to manipulate the game at the line of scrimmage in the friendly confines of Lambeau Field once again will be the difference. Packers 30, Seahawks 23
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Re: Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25 

Post#2 » by Marley2Hendrix » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:15 pm

No Bulaga is frightening. We'll see how things shake out. Otherwise, I feel pretty good. I think GB takes this. MB looks good in his GB debut, though I worry how our DBs fare if the pressure doesn't show up on Wilson. Jimmy Graham could be poised for a big day. Not worried about Lacy.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#3 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Bulaga being out is brutal. I guess semi optimistic view is durring the fail mary game bulaga played one of the worst games ive ever seen a takle play and the pack still won if not for incompetent reffing.

If the ankle is still real sore not playing him is the right move. Id rather him not hurt it worse and miss extended time plus if he can't move right I'm not sure he would even be effective. Its a long season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#4 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:03 pm

This is the exact scenario where having Spriggs as a reserve was supposed to a huge boost. His rapid descent into unplayableness has been brutal.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Money is on Seattle. Line down to 2.5. It takes a lot of action to move a line off 3.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#6 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Bulaga being out is brutal. I guess semi optimistic view is durring the fail mary game bulaga played one of the worst games ive ever seen a takle play and the pack still won if not for incompetent reffing.

If the ankle is still real sore not playing him is the right move. Id rather him not hurt it worse and miss extended time plus if he can't move right I'm not sure he would even be effective. Its a long season.

I'm not sure how you have any optimism from a game played five years ago. I bet 2/3 of the players from that game are even on the team
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Dean Blandino on Fox lol
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:43 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Bulaga being out is brutal. I guess semi optimistic view is durring the fail mary game bulaga played one of the worst games ive ever seen a takle play and the pack still won if not for incompetent reffing.

I'm not sure how you have any optimism from a game played five years ago. I bet 2/3 of the players from that game are even on the team

And the offense was terrible in the fail mary game. Needless to say, I don't think we're going to win if we have 268 yards of offense and 12 points like the fail mary game.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#9 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:39 pm

We have a lot of new players on O and I think it will take 3, 4 games before MM/Rodgers have our new TE weapons (and the RB situation) fully-integrated, running smoothly and playing to potential. I think we'll see guys not on the same page as Rodgers, as well as potential blown protection-assignments and blocking-assignments.

All that plus the O-line, a bad D, and a super-motivated SEA team feels like good potential for a loss. Not ready to predict one, but I think people looking forward to our super-dangerous-on-paper offense will be disappointed (at least for a couple more weeks)
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#10 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Quinton Dial apparently not going to play today. I know he just got here but you'd think he could handle at least a handful of snaps.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#11 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

#Packers inactives:

CB Josh Hawkins
RB Aaron Jones
CB Lenzy Pipkins
OL Lucas Patrick
OL Bryan Bulaga
DL Montravius Adams
DL Quinton Dial
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#12 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Also Murphy starting

Surprised Gunter is up over Hawkins, Mays is ahead of Jones and dear god we're one linsley injury away from McCray coming in.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#13 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Rawles is also out, lots of lacey today
DanoMac wrote:

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25 

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:00 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Very true these are much different rosters. My overall point is the pack have found ways to stay in games when they've had some suspect line play.

The d needs to play well today.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#15 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:02 pm

The offensive line depth chart is terrifying. We're one in game injury away from total disaster up front.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Mildly surprised they went mays over jones. Maybe it's special teams related. Also a little surprised its dial sits instead of odom.

Gunter up doesnt surprise me. Its going to be a physical game and hes the biggest most physical of the 3 cbs.

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#17 » by BUCKnation » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Can't wait to see "Lacey" instead of his proper name "Lacy" here and on twitter today
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#18 » by BUCKnation » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Did Murphy play well this preseason? Don't know what to expect from him.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#19 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:36 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Did Murphy play well this preseason? Don't know what to expect from him.

I would say he had a solid over all training camp. But he's the top back up more so because of how awful spriggs played against back ups.
DanoMac wrote:

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

A tree stump played better than Spriggs. Murphy is better than a tree stump. If any OL go down were ****.

Return to Green Bay Packers