Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,283

Re: Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25 

Post#501 » by rilamann » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
rilamann wrote:If the Packer's defense is decent, they'll probably win the Super Bowl.If the Seahawks offense is decent, they'll probably win the Super Bowl.

If my best Toni Kukoc voice, we are same, but different....lol.

The Seahawks' offense IS decent.

Last year with a hobbled Wilson they were 18th (middle of the pack) in points/game.

The year before that, they were #4 in the NFL in points/game when Wilson was healthy. Lynch was on the team but was ineffective and was out for the season 8 games in. They were better than the Packers.

If they stay healthy I expect them to be somewhere in the vicinity of a top 10 offense.

I know Seattle's offense is decent.Any offense in which your QB is Russell Wilson is going to be at least decent.I was saying if they are decent they'll probably at go to the Super Bowl,I did pick Seattle to win the NFC the this season.

The Packer's defense being decent over 16 games is obviously a much bigger question,which is why even after yesterday's game I would still feel considerably more confident betting on the Seahawks to win the NFC than the Packers.Although yesterday's win puts us a leg up in the race for HFA (at least over Seattle) as long as the Packer's don't screw it up by doing something Packers-esque like losing to the Browns week 14.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#502 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

GB_Packers wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I'm not going to get too hyped about the D. Seattle's O-Line stinks, outside of Baldwin their receivers stink, and Graham is a shell of his former self.

A win is a win though.

From saying Seattle wins 30-17 to this. Amazing. Movin' them goal posts.

If they had a better coordinator that realized the strength of Wilson's ability to roll out and be a pass/run threat would mitigate the weakness of their horrible O-line, they could have put up more points.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#503 » by El Duderino » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 pm

rilamann wrote:

I know Seattle's offense is decent.Any offense in which your QB is Russell Wilson is going to be at least decent.I was saying if they are decent they'll probably at go to the Super Bowl,I did pick Seattle to win the NFC the this season.

The Packer's defense being decent over 16 games is obviously a much bigger question,which is why even after yesterday's game I would still feel considerably more confident betting on the Seahawks to win the NFC than the Packers.Although yesterday's win puts us a leg up in the race for HFA (at least over Seattle) as long as the Packer's don't screw it up by doing something Packers-esque like losing to the Browns week 14.

With our defense, so much resides on the health of Clay and Perry, both of whom have struggled to stay healthy.

I think Perry is a legit good upper tier OLB given he holds the edge vs the run and is a quality pass rusher. Clay even with his age, looked still really quick around the corner yesterday.

Brooks should help with depth, but we desperately need those two to play around 14 games and be reasonably healthy come the playoffs.

It also helped yesterday that the defense got a number of three and outs. Where depth gets tested at the pass rush on defense is not just health, but also on those 7-8-10 plus play drives, especially when an offense goes hurry up and starting pass rushers have to leave the field to rest. Can the backup OLB's and defensive lineman come into the game and avoid getting stopped in their tracks, leaving the secondary exposed.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#504 » by HKPackFan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 am

One thing hasnt been mentioned. We may actually have a good punter.

After what feels like a decade of average to below average to sucky punters. Vogel looks legit.

He saved our butt early in the game hitting a couple boomers when we were back up.

That's usually the time our crappy punters would whiff.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#505 » by HKPackFan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:02 am

I just realized something.... :o

If the Bucks Front Office was in GB, we'd have the two most highly paid guards in the NFL, and Eddie Lacy would be our starting RB with a fat 3 year contract looking bigger than Refrigerator Perry, making even OJ Mayo laugh at all the fat jokes.

I know I rip on TT at times, but I do think he's a top 10 GM, and making me think about some of the hard cuts made last offseason, I realize a bucks FO would not be able to make some of those moves.
#FreeChuckDiesel
TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#506 » by TankWilson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 am

HKPackFan wrote:I just realized something.... :o

If the Bucks Front Office was in GB, we'd have the two most highly paid guards in the NFL, and Eddie Lacy would be our starting RB with a fat 3 year contract looking bigger than Refrigerator Perry, making even OJ Mayo laugh at all the fat jokes.

I know I rip on TT at times, but I do think he's a top 10 GM, and making me think about some of the hard cuts made last offseason, I realize a bucks FO would not be able to make some of those moves.

TT is easily a top 10 GM and I put him way above that, just behind belichek. He's done his part, the team is always close which counts for a lot. Of course everyone wants more than 1 SB what a lot of luck goes into getting that swell. All in all in this day and age rodgers could easily have 4 more great seasons after this one and win 2 more sb's before he's done. I hope that happens so the TT haters finally have to eat crow once and for all!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,401

Post#507 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

John Schneider is considered a top GM and yet he pairs a top notch defense with a horrible OL.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: RE: Re: Game 1: Seattle at Green Bay - 3:25 

Post#508 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:John Schneider is considered a top GM and yet he pairs a top notch defense with a horrible OL.

And a lack of talent at the skill positions on offense don't forget.

Almost as if it's unbelievably hard to form a team stacked across the board

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Post#509 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

I always find the defensive snap counts interesting:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/11/defensive-snap-counts-in-week-1-show-packers-trust-in-nitro-package/

Kentrell Brice played almost every snap (47 of 49) at S alongside Clinton-Dix while Burnett slid down into effectively a cover LB spot while guys like Jake Ryan (5 snaps) and Joe Thomas(5 snaps) barely saw the field. Seems like they finally figured out that you need more guys out there that can cover.

Ricky Jean-Francois (6 snaps) and Dean Lowry (15 snaps) saw very limited time as well.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#510 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Several random comments on the halftime stuff:

1. I believe it was 2 years ago or maybe last year that McCarthy had like 4-5 games in a row where he called timeouts in this situation but the situation made more sense (2-3 minutes on the clock, 2-3 timeouts, opponent inside their own 20). He got burned every single time and the fans that love to think the coach is wrong no matter what ripped him even though it was the "right" way to go about it when you have Aaron Rodgers. For this reason alone I want to side with McCarthy because the idiots always come out in droves even when the right call goes wrong. This one was wrong but the risk seemed relatively low even though the reward was smaller.

2. There's an old adage "at least make them punt it" that I think McCulvers was trying to play. It's probably dumb in this situation.

3. With 2 being known, I still thought there was such a low risk, even if it was pretty clear the reward was even tinier. I walked upstairs to get another drink after 2nd down just assuming the half would be over. Came back down and the Seahawks were in the redzone. I'd say the chances of that, even with Dom's **** umbrella defense were less than 5% the way the game was going...but again...the reward was so small.

Yeah, to echo another post, I would've been ok with the timeout if they had 3 timeouts left. But because they were so close to the 40 second mark in the half, I didn't understand why MM called the first timeout when he did. There was no real reward IMO -- the only thing they potentially could have gotten out of that situation was a punt, a fair catch, and then a free kick from Crosby because at best, they would've had 3-4 seconds left in the half.

The timeout before the half fiasco was definitely last year too. I remember the Dallas game was in the middle of that stretch and he called a timeout with under 2 minutes to play in the half. Sure enough, Dallas hit a couple of big completions after that, scored a TD and helped put that game away relatively early because of that. I get putting the trust in getting #12 the ball back to get at least 3 points before the half, but you also have to realize that your strength isn't your defense.
dietac
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#511 » by dietac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:the only thing they potentially could have gotten out of that situation was a punt, a fair catch, and then a free kick from Crosby because at best, they would've had 3-4 seconds left in the half..

Ummmmm... we have like an 80% chance of a successful Hail Mary with Rodgers.

I'm not really sure if that should be in green or not.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#512 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Sean Payton last night called a timeout before halftime even though the Vikings had only 3rd and a yard to go. So Minnesota gets the first down and then proceeds to march down the field for a TD.

I get calling timeouts if your defense forces say a 3rd down and five or more yards to go, but other than that, if an offense is just trying to run the clock out before halftime, simply let them do it. Not worth pushing an offense to try and get a first down, then potentially giving them life to try and get points which they initially weren't intending to do.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#513 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I always find the defensive snap counts interesting:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/11/defensive-snap-counts-in-week-1-show-packers-trust-in-nitro-package/

Kentrell Brice played almost every snap (47 of 49) at S alongside Clinton-Dix while Burnett slid down into effectively a cover LB spot while guys like Jake Ryan (5 snaps) and Joe Thomas(5 snaps) barely saw the field. Seems like they finally figured out that you need more guys out there that can cover.

Ricky Jean-Francois (6 snaps) and Dean Lowry (15 snaps) saw very limited time as well.

For the flack that TT rightfully takes for some high round defensive misses he then deserves some credit for finding a guy like Brice as an UDFA. Brice looks like a legit NFL player. In retrospect it's a little surprising some team didn't take a 7th rd flyer on him simply because of his physical measurables; he tested out well athletically. Heck even Evans looks like he could be a solid player and if he was on a team with a weak safety group he could potentially start.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#514 » by Mags FTW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

El Duderino wrote:Sean Payton last night called a timeout before halftime even though the Vikings had only 3rd and a yard to go. So Minnesota gets the first down and then proceeds to march down the field for a TD.

I REALLY didn't like those TOs, because the Vikes were getting the ball back to start the 2nd half. I can see rolling the dice with timeouts if you are getting the ball after halftime. If the other team scores and gets momentum, you can still take it back after halftime if you are getting the ball and score out of the gate.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#515 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
El Duderino wrote:Sean Payton last night called a timeout before halftime even though the Vikings had only 3rd and a yard to go. So Minnesota gets the first down and then proceeds to march down the field for a TD.

I REALLY didn't like those TOs, because the Vikes were getting the ball back to start the 2nd half. I can see rolling the dice with timeouts if you are getting the ball after halftime. If the other team scores and gets momentum, you can still take it back after halftime if you are getting the ball and score out of the gate.

Plus, the Vikings had all three of their timeouts, so once they got the first down, there was incentive for them to push for trying to score points.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#516 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm

You have to know your team when making those TO decisions and when you have a defense prone to giving up big plays you just shouldnt test your luck in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers