ImageImage

Saints Lead Up: Burnett, Brooks, Thomas OUT, Taylor DOUBTFUL, pg 6.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Re: Saints Lead Up 

Post#81 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Jerome Boger is the ref for our game.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
dools644
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#82 » by dools644 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Not directly related but it sure looks like Thompson made the right call on TJ Lang. I know our line is in shambles but that would have been a big pay day for a guy whose back is looking more and more like a major issue.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#83 » by crkone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Woooooooo

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#84 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Bulaga practicing today. Didn't he have a concussion? Seems super fast to be cleared. Makes me wonder if it was the ankle that knocked him out Sunday and Fox had it wrong. Good news either way, they need him this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#85 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being cleared from concussion protocol that fast. Then again maybe Bulaga's baseline brain results are the same as a regular person with a concussion. I kid, I kid.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#86 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Biegel practicing, love to see that.

After more than a five-month absence, Green Bay Packers rookie outside linebacker Vince Biegel will return to the practice field Wednesday afternoon, coach Mike McCarthy said.

Biegel, drafted in the fourth round this spring out of Wisconsin, has not practiced since breaking a bone in his foot during the second day of rookie orientation in May. After missing all of training camp, he was placed on the physically unable to perform list, preventing him from practicing for the first six weeks of the season.

McCarthy said Biegel will be a full participant Wednesday, the first time the Packers are on the practice field in Week 7. There’s still work to do before he’ll be activated on the team’s 53-man roster.

“I look at any player’s initiation into the practice structure,” McCarthy said. “I think it’s like a lot of things in training. He’s been training at a very high level to prepare to go practice football. So with that, where he is right now, as far as the way his body feels and his approach, he needs to get beat up. He needs to get scarred up a little bit, lean on people, go through the padded practice and kind of go through that natural cycle of getting back into it.

“I think it’ll obviously be important that he practices today and tomorrow, and we’ll work through that process. But I know he’s excited to get back on the field.”

McCarthy said cornerback Demetri Goodson will not be on the practice field Wednesday. Goodson was placed on the physically unable to perform list while recovering from a torn ACL last November.

The Packers have three weeks to activate Biegel and Goodson from the PUP list. If they are not activated before Week 10, they will miss the remainder of the season.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#87 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm

I'll feel a lot more confident if Bulaga can go on Sunday. I honestly think Hundley can have a solid day if he's kept upright.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#88 » by crkone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Everyone practiced besides Aaron Rodgers (collarbone) Lane Taylor (ankle/knee) Morgan Burnett (hamstring) Joe Thomas (ankle)

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#89 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 am

Well, if all goes to hell, at least the Packers have an All-Star backstop.

Mr Anonymous
Junior
And1: 431

Post#90 » by Mr Anonymous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 am

James1980 wrote:It seems like there are more injuries after the cba lowered the number of padded practices.

Mickey Davis wrote:There are many who think this. The theory was less wear and tear in practice allows the body to hold up during the season. Anytime someone got injured in practice there was a call to limit contact. And so they did. But the flip side is your body isn't ready for the in game contact. Fighters don't just hit the bag when preparing for a bout. They have to spar and take some hits too.

We have a Bingo!

You can't practice flag football year round and then play one of the world's most violent sports for 3 hours, 16-20 days of the year total and have bodies prepared for brutal contact. You need to hit and hit often to ready the body for Sundays in the NFL. In an attempt to decrease the toll on the body they've made it more susceptible. And McCarthy takes it to an extreme
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Saints Lead Up 

Post#91 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Mr Anonymous wrote:
James1980 wrote:It seems like there are more injuries after the cba lowered the number of padded practices.

Mickey Davis wrote:There are many who think this. The theory was less wear and tear in practice allows the body to hold up during the season. Anytime someone got injured in practice there was a call to limit contact. And so they did. But the flip side is your body isn't ready for the in game contact. Fighters don't just hit the bag when preparing for a bout. They have to spar and take some hits too.

We have a Bingo!

You can't practice flag football year round and then play one of the world's most violent sports for 3 hours, 16-20 days of the year total and have bodies prepared for brutal contact. You need to hit and hit often to ready the body for Sundays in the NFL. In an attempt to decrease the toll on the body they've made it more susceptible. And McCarthy takes it to an extreme

AJ Hawk was talking about this and called it BS from an injury prevention standpoint. I tend to agree with him. Now I 100% think less contact in practice has made tackling and blocking worse because guys just aren't getting the reps. But from an injury standpoint its not like having more contact in practice would have made rodgers collar bone stronger, prevented hamstring injuries, or made guys less susceptible to concussions. I really think its more of a thing that as players get bigger and faster the collisions have more force causing more injuries. Thats simple physics. One could also theorize as guys use PEDs they are building more mass than their bodies naturally can support and that causes injuries too.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
dools644
Sophomore

Post#92 » by dools644 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Not sure who read the recent piece on Eddie Lacy where he talked about getting teased for being fat. I think it was from ESPN.

In part of the piece he talks about being shellshocked by NFL practices vs. Alabama. He couldn't believe this was all you had to do in the NFL at practice. He has his own issues obviously, but seems like an obvious reason for some of them. I get that a pro athlete should be able to stay in shape, but he was probably one who needed to be run into the ground by coaches to be fit. And he wasn't at all in GB.

If he thought they were easy I imagine to most players they are a cakewalk.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#93 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 pm

dools644 wrote:Not sure who read the recent piece on Eddie Lacy where he talked about getting teased for being fat. I think it was from ESPN.

In part of the piece he talks about being shellshocked by NFL practices vs. Alabama. He couldn't believe this was all you had to do in the NFL at practice. He has his own issues obviously, but seems like an obvious reason for some of them. I get that a pro athlete should be able to stay in shape, but he was probably one who needed to be run into the ground by coaches to be fit. And he wasn't at all in GB.

Practicing hard doesn't necessarily mean beating the hell out of each other though. I do think more of a focus on fundamentals could help NFL players but because of the limited hours they get because of the cba this is tough because that time is needed to install packages and gameplan opponents.

NFL and college are apples and oranges. You are allowed more practice time in college, you have way bigger rosters, you have more bye weeks and less games giving them more time to practice, and you only have guys for 3-4 years in college.

And when taking about Alabama specifically there is a theory that some of their guys have had their NFL careers hurt by being too beat up from college. Not sure I 100% agree with that but its out there.

jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#94 » by jazzfanWA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Lombardi would have gone nuts with modern day practice rules.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#95 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 pm

dools644 wrote:Not sure who read the recent piece on Eddie Lacy where he talked about getting teased for being fat. I think it was from ESPN.

Part of the difference is that college rosters are much bigger, so you have more bodies to rely upon, and teams don't have millions of dollars invested in their talent as they do in the NFL. Another significant difference is that college coaches are essentially the dictators of their programs and are overseeing teenagers and young men. NFL coaches are overseeing a unionized group of professional adults, and they can write in protections to stop a dictatorship from demanding needless physicality.

That's where the transition for some coaches and players to the NFL can be a challenge. Several of Nick Saban's former Dolphins players bristled at the fact that he treated them like children, and he lost that locker room. Players like Lacy might benefit from a coach that busts their ass, but while they exist in the NFL, players are expected to be self-motivated as well.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#96 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 pm

jazzfanWA wrote:Lombardi would have gone nuts with modern day practice rules.

Maybe but Lombardi was a pretty progressive guy who would have adapted to the times.

Also Lombardi was coaching olineman who weighed 250 lbs and linebackers who ran 5.0 40s. Again the physics of the collisions is just so much different today. Then factor in that guys had offseason jobs and often came into camp out of shape and its just a completely different situation that he coached in.

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,122

Post#97 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Silverstein nails it:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2017/10/18/silverstein-best-way-packers-help-brett-hundley-play-aaron-jones/776324001/

Frustratingly predictable to watch Ty Montgomery get the start last week and the Packers go 3 and out on their first drive. I understand McCarthy and the coaching staff probably logged many hours transforming Montgomery into a running back. But simply put, Aaron Jones is better. Give him 1st and 2nd down carries, and figure out other ways to get the ball to Montgomery. Play the better player.
dools644
Sophomore

Post#98 » by dools644 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 pm

McCarthy isn't dumb. There is going to be a lot rushing this weekend, permitted that they can get it to work at all. Them running the ball is the best thing they can do for this defense above being good for Hundley. The Saints defense is awful. It's awful against the pass and only looks marginal vs. the run because nobody has to run against them.

It's every bit as bad as ours. They couldn't have asked for a better opponent this week at home. If you need your offense to gel this is who you want.

If the offense really struggles this weekend, like if they score 13 points, we are heading for 5-11.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:48 am

Read on Twitter
Mr Anonymous
Junior
And1: 431

Post#100 » by Mr Anonymous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Mr Anonymous wrote:

We have a Bingo!

AJ Hawk was talking about this and called it BS from an injury prevention standpoint. I tend to agree with him. Now I 100% think less contact in practice has made tackling and blocking worse because guys just aren't getting the reps. But from an injury standpoint its not like having more contact in practice would have made rodgers collar bone stronger, prevented hamstring injuries, or made guys less susceptible to concussions. I really think its more of a thing that as players get bigger and faster the collisions have more force causing more injuries. Thats simple physics. One could also theorize as guys use PEDs they are building more mass than their bodies naturally can support and that causes injuries too.

But see, it's not simple physics. People overlook the way a body can be trained to protect itself in collisions. Ever hear how people sleeping through a car wreck often come out unscathed? Their bodies are relaxed, not tensed like someone who sees it coming an instant before. When you lessen the amount of hitting in practice your mind and body are less prepared for it on game day meaning a more tense body with the added bonus of lack of aggression. A body that is accustomed to that level of physical contact be more relaxed and much more muscularly capable of protecting itself. And being the aggressor means bringing force rather than being the one absorbing force.

Less hitting and less practice in pads means a tenser body during collisions, more susceptibility to injury, and also results in less aggressive players whose bodies take punishment rather than doling it out. And as mentioned before, it's why boxers spar. Taking hits programs the muscles and tissues to relax, absorb, and protect rather than tense and take punishment.

Sound like a team we know?

Return to Green Bay Packers