ImageImage

Game 7: Saints @ Packers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Re: Game 7: Saints @ Packers 

Post#361 » by TankWilson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I guess you give hundley another start with a more open attack but id be quick to put in joe call. That kid is the guy who can keep you afloat. he's like a young magic man, anyone remember magic man!? :nod:
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#362 » by Mags FTW » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#363 » by FAH1223 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#364 » by Profound23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 pm

I guarantee we won't lose next week.
dools644
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#365 » by dools644 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:41 pm

I shouldn't but I'm giving another game to say much of anything. The defense is awful but there was something about this whole game that was just odd.

I need to see what happens when Hundley takes some shots. He had a few nice throws. I don't know. Maybe the play calling wasn't there. I just didn't see enough to say he stinks. I didn't see anything at all, that's the issue.

The stat line for the receivers is just bizarre. Hundley can't possibly be THAT bad. Our receivers weren't even thrown to.

I think McCarthy realizes his game plan was terrible. They ran well but it didn't complement the pass at all.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#366 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:47 pm

This one was dead on arrival in the second half. McCarthy was clearly terrified and his testes were sucked up into his belly. His obvious strategy was run the ball as if you're up and trying to seal the game, and hope you don't have to throw a pass.

The deal is, you've committed to Hundley as your QB. Right or wrong you have to roll with him and take the gloves off, sink or swim. If you're not going to allow him to actually play the QB position then go get someone you're comfortable with. Playing this BS middle ground guarantees you results like today.
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Re: RE: Re: Game 7: Saints @ Packers 

Post#367 » by humanrefutation » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's also covering for Hundley, which is what he should do.

These next fifteen days will give them an opportunity to work on timing. Hundley was hectic out there - a combination of a pass rush and a lack of comfort with where his receivers were going to be. His lack of experience was extremely evident. Two weeks should give them some time to get better.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#368 » by Jollay » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 pm

I was never as anti-MM as some of you guys, but the last 2-3 years he has just been generally awful. Literally almost Rhodes-esque with cluelessness.

He is a poor coach right now. The schemes on both sides of the ball are mind-boggling.

And of course, injuries will be used as a perpetual excuse.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#369 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm

dools644 wrote:I shouldn't but I'm giving another game to say much of anything. The defense is awful but there was something about this whole game that was just odd.

I need to see what happens when Hundley takes some shots. He had a few nice throws. I don't know. Maybe the play calling wasn't there. I just didn't see enough to say he stinks. I didn't see anything at all, that's the issue.

The stat line for the receivers is just bizarre. Hundley can't possibly be THAT bad. Our receivers weren't even thrown to.

I think McCarthy realizes his game plan was terrible. They ran well but it didn't complement the pass at all.

This sums up pretty well how I feel. Nothing definitive about this game. It's very possible that this is roughly as good as Hundley will ever be, but I don't think you can say that now.

The run not setting up the pass was a feeling I got too. Nothing much made sense- agree it was a just a weird game. I have a lingering feeling that we left a lot on the table (or on the practice field or in MM's office) offensively that didn't show on the field today. That ought to make fans feel slightly hopeful about future improvements.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#370 » by LUKE23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:17 pm

MM is a bum.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#371 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Jollay wrote:I was never as anti-MM as some of you guys, but the last 2-3 years he has just been generally awful. Literally almost Rhodes-esque with cluelessness.

He is a poor coach right now. The schemes on both sides of the ball are mind-boggling.

Generally, I'm still pretty pro-MM. He's not above criticism, certainly, but I think he's waaaay more good than bad. I feel like he's responsible for a lot of good stuff that we all take for granted or as given (and would only be conspicuous by it's absence, were he to leave).

Dom can go. Even if sh*ts not his fault (personnel is clearly clearly an issue), he can still go.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#372 » by Jollay » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Jollay wrote:I was never as anti-MM as some of you guys, but the last 2-3 years he has just been generally awful. Literally almost Rhodes-esque with cluelessness.

Generally, I'm still pretty pro-MM. He's not above criticism, certainly, but I think he's waaaay more good than bad. I feel like he's responsible for a lot of good stuff that we all take for granted or as given (and would only be conspicuous by it's absence, were he to leave).

Dom can go. Even if sh*ts not his fault (personnel is clearly clearly an issue), he can still go.

You're right that he doesn't get enough credit, but he's been living off that for a while now.

Having everyone go deep at the end of the half when we needed 8-12 yards for a solid FG attempt is simply stupid and going way, way, way against the odds. It's just unacceptable in a close game by any standard.

At least he blamed himself instead of going into arrogant MM mode. That helps. But when I'm seeing Bennett and Cobb run flies within two feet of each other, I have to highly, highly, question MM's perception of reality when he describes this week as "the best practice week we've had."

Still--agree with most everything said--need much, much more to assess Hundley. Just a shame we put no stock in a guy this game we've held onto so rigidly and praised so much the last three years.

Dom--just baffles me now. The soft zone and wait for the slightly below average pass rush strategy to maybe do something strategy is baffling.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#373 » by zmanishere11 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I would like to highlight one of the many reasons Mike McCarthy is gutter trash.

When you think of really good offenses who compare well with ours from a QB / overall talent perspective, NO and NE come to mind.

One of the most obvious matchup nightmares for opposing defenses is the RB vs LB.

It's especially dangerous in the passing game, as it's high percentage (80% completion rate), generally bypasses one entire line of defense (the DL), and RB's win this battle in the open field 6 / 10 times. As an added bonus, it keeps everyone on D guessing.

Today, NO targeted RB's 13 times out of the backfield, which is dead nuts what they average per game.

NE is about 12.

We average about 6.

Now forget this week for a second - so far for the year, here's what each teams average yardage per target to a RB gets you:

GB: 4.5 (198 yards on 44 targets)
NE: 6.125 (343 yards on 55 targets) (doesn't count this week)
NO: 5.5 (404 yards on 73 targets)

To be clear, this is PER TARGET. If I were calling the plays for an NFL offense, I think I go with the stats and dial this up a little more often, don't you?

Now it's not just about targets - This just proves the point with facts. If you watch the games and pay attention, MM couldn't design a pass play for a RB WITH A FRICKING WR AS RB. 3 of our 7 targets to RBs today were thrown into the ground on purpose.

We literally cannot properly execute a screen pass to a RB.

I could go on and site the number of times we have WR's and TE's running routes right on top of each other, making them completely useless and easy to defend, but an easier way to say this and apply it to the entire team would be this:

Every thing about this team is stale.

The offensive play calling. The defensive game plan. The last couple of drafts.

Normally when this happens there's massive action - but these dudes won a Super Bowl!! And in Green Bay unfortunately that's meant a free pass for life.

This team has talent, but I don't see a scenario where we win another Super Bowl with MM and Capers calling the shots, and to an extent, Ted Thompson.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#374 » by Profound23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

I really get this perplexing feeling when MM does something dumb and it doesn't come back to haunt him.

Going for two against Dallas at the end was one of those things. If we lose everyone is pissed about that because kicking the ep puts us a fg away from OT after Dallas scores. Garrett was too dumb to run the clock down and bailed him out.

Today kicking a fg with 6 seconds in the half and a timeout from 60 yards out was weird. If nothing else run up the middle and call timeout or spike the ball and run a couple of seconds out. If the Saints convert on a hail Mary everyone sees how dumb it is, because Sean Payton was just as stupid with his play calling it goes unnoticed.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#375 » by Ron Swanson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm

This team can win with Hundley under center. They can't win with this defense and Fat Mac's clock management.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#376 » by zmanishere11 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm

I'd also like to remind everyone that Rodgers audibled out of A LOT of MM's play calls.

What we're getting here is McCarthy at his purist.

Should we start a billboard?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#377 » by Ron Swanson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Don't really get the play-calling stuff. I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well and we had almost 200 yards rushing for the game. The defense just literally couldn't get off the field. Allowing 500+ yards of offense and nearly doubling our time of possession is awful. Fat Mac's management of the clock and timeouts was pretty awful though. Just moronic at times.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#378 » by Profound23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Don't really get the play-calling stuff. I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well and we had almost 200 yards rushing for the game. The defense just literally couldn't get off the field. Allowing 500+ yards of offense and nearly doubling our time of possession is awful. Fat Mac's management of the clock and timeouts was pretty awful though. Just moronic at times.

He called a timeout when the Saints were about to get a delay of game then used all his others with 5 minutes left when the Saints weren't even running the clock out yet.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#379 » by trwi7 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Don't really get the play-calling stuff. I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well and we had almost 200 yards rushing for the game. The defense just literally couldn't get off the field. Allowing 500+ yards of offense and nearly doubling our time of possession is awful. Fat Mac's management of the clock and timeouts was pretty awful though. Just moronic at times.

We had 260 yards of offense on 50 plays. We had 110 yards of offense on 40 plays without our TD drives. The defense was terrible but so was the offense. And I have no idea how you could watch that play calling and say it was fine and that we were moving the ball. Part of the reason the Saints had the ball so much was because of MM's BS play calling on offense. Didn't even give the offense a chance on most possessions.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,372

Post#380 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Almost half of our rushing yards were on the first drive though.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Green Bay Packers