Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Re: Lions Leadup Thread - RJF Released Again, Spriggs off of IR - pg 4 

Post#81 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:16 am

The fourth long snapper we've had this season
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#82 » by Tfence92 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:59 am

Profound23 wrote:For those who are paying attention we just paid RJF twice. His first contract, was guaranteed the day before we cut him and his next contract was also guaranteed.

Cap guru at his finest

They would have had have to pay someone regardless, not sure why it's a big deal?
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Re: ATL Week 8 

Post#83 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:14 pm

Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

So we're trying to tank then. Explains the play calling at least.

But I thought Brett Hundley was our quarterback? No need to bring in anyone else right?

Or is it just no need to bring in Kaepernick?

Hoyer is a pretty solid backup, IMO
#FreeChuckDiesel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#84 » by Profound23 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:03 am

Tfence92 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:For those who are paying attention we just paid RJF twice. His first contract, was guaranteed the day before we cut him and his next contract was also guaranteed.

Cap guru at his finest

They would have had have to pay someone regardless, not sure why it's a big deal?

They just paid a guy two guaranteed one year contracts for him to play less than half a season.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#85 » by Tfence92 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:37 am

Profound23 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:

Cap guru at his finest

They just paid a guy two guaranteed one year contracts for him to play less than half a season.

But you're implying they wouldn't have had to do that if they signed someone else? How?
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#86 » by Profound23 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:13 am

Tfence92 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:

But you're implying they wouldn't have had to do that if they signed someone else? How?

They signed him and cut him a week after his contract became guaranteed.

A couple weeks later they signed him again.

It's not about who they signed it's about being smart with your money. They could have cut him a week earlier the first time and they wouldn't be in this situation.

Can you imagine going into work, they fire you and tell you they are still going to pay you a year's salary? They then call you back a week or so later and ask you to come back, then fire you again and give you another year's salary?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: Bye Week + Lions Leadup Thread 

Post#87 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:38 am

bizarro wrote:Man oh man, I am just holding out hope this ****@@@ continues against the Lions and we luck our way into a top-shelf draft slot. It would do wonders for the organization. And, it's clear to me, picking in the late 20's every year is taking its toll.

Yeah I'm with you that a loss here and I'm going to have to root for losses. I really hate doing that but I agree that picking in the 20s every year for a decade is taking a toll. This team could use a blue chip type tallent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: Lions Leadup Thread - RJF Released Again, Spriggs off of IR - pg 4 

Post#88 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:47 am

Profound23 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

They signed him and cut him a week after his contract became guaranteed.

A couple weeks later they signed him again.

It's not about who they signed it's about being smart with your money. They could have cut him a week earlier the first time and they wouldn't be in this situation.

Can you imagine going into work, they fire you and tell you they are still going to pay you a year's salary? They then call you back a week or so later and ask you to come back, then fire you again and give you another year's salary?

I just did a little research on this and I don't think that second contract was guaranteed.

They did have to pay the $1.25m base that was guaranteed in the original contract because hes a vested vet on a roater week 1 and you're right that was a **** cap wise for sure. But after week 1 you can sign vets on a normal contract and its prorated weekly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Re: Lions Leadup Thread - Bennett might retire at end of season, pg 2. 

Post#89 » by Prickle » Mon Nov 6, 2017 9:21 am

humanrefutation wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was listening to the Dan Le Batard Show podcast and he has Jalen Ramsey on there. Dan asked him who he thought the best corners in the league were (other than him), and Jalen brought up Casey Hayward.

The truth is, though, Casey could still be on our roster and I wouldn't be surprised if he was still mediocre. I don't trust Capers to do the job right.

There may definitely be some truth to this. Even in Dom's system, it was apparent that Hayward had an innate ability to make plays. He was a ballhawk who had a knack for putting himself in the right position at the right time. That is stuff that can't be taught or coached.

Now, over Dom's entire tenure here, what has been the ONE saving grace that has kept his defense afloat? It's players like Hayward, who have the ability to transcend his tired defensive schemes. Woodson, Tramon, Collins, Matthews - these guys weren't products of Dom's system, Dom's system was a product of these players who could be great, regardless of the broken system they were in. Great players can cover up a lot of fundamental, systemic flaws. But what happens when you don't have those "great" players? This is when your coaching and schemes are really tested, and in our case....exposed.

The league is constantly evolving, so coaching needs to as well. Just because something worked in 1997, doesn't mean it's going to work today. Perhaps there are no "great" players on our current defense, but I have a hard time believing that ALL of our defensive players are as sh*tty as they seem, and there isn't some great talent and hidden potential in some of these players - they just need to be put in a position to succeed.

Maybe Dom's defense is great, and it just so happens that none of the players the team drafts are "getting" it. But isn't that still a problem? The last time we had a respectable defense, we won the Super Bowl. What more needs to be said? How many more years will the Packers accept a lousy defense before they decide to shake things up? When you've reached the point where your defense can literally "get no worse", what difference does it make who your D coordinator is? Do something! Do anything! Try! :banghead:

Return to Green Bay Packers