Post#41 » by BUCKnation » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:48 pm

He had that one catch against Dallas which was pretty cool
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,999

Re: Bears Lead Up - Bennett Released, Page 2 

Post#42 » by humanrefutation » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:52 pm

dools644 wrote:The only word coming to mind is sadness.

I thought this signing was key to getting back to the Super Bowl. I thought he'd help out in the run a lot, and be a giant red zone target. I was really hoping to see a lot of 2TE hurry-up drives with Montgomery, rolling the same personnel group and totally changing up the formations play-to-play with the same guys.

Had such big expectations for this year. I was more optimistic than I'd been in a long time. It's just been a complete dumpster fire. Yeah Rodgers is hurt, but this is starting to feel like 2005, a year after which they really blew things up and started over.

Starting to feel like that's about to happen. Just doesn't feel like the Super Bowl is even close with this group. Radical changes are needed and you just hope they get it right before Rodgers is done.

I've said this before, but if I'm AR I am in no rush to re-sign here.

Thing is, unlike 2005, this team is relatively young all over. Look at that defense - outside of Clay and Burnett (who was hurt) - who was even on the roster the last time the Packers went to the Super Bowl?

On offense, you've got Rodgers and Jordy. Cobb and Bulaga are other long-term pieces to the offense. Otherwise, you've got youth all over.

There isn't much of a reset they can do with the roster. They can reset the coaching staff and front office.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#43 » by LittleRooster » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:54 pm

Meanwhile, Jared Cook is doing pretty well in Oakland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dools644
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#44 » by dools644 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:54 pm

It may be young, but it is largely extremely bad. 2005 was a reset of the F.O., Thompson had just gotten there, let Sherman lame duck for a year and then fired him. He signed a bunch of scrubs to fix the financial problems (Adrian Klemm anyone?), then started over.

If Thompson retires I think you will see a very different roster.

At the very least, I will be shocked if Capers is still coaching next year. I think McCarthy is safe.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#45 » by Mags FTW » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:59 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I wonder what condition he failed to disclose - his inability to catch passes?

Manus Lapis
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,382

Post#46 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:17 pm

I thought Cook did great last year but I was fine with the Bennett signing. Obviously 20/20 hindsight.

I wonder if Bennett has become a locker room problem since Rodgers went down.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,534

Post#47 » by Profound23 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:38 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I thought Cook did great last year but I was fine with the Bennett signing. Obviously 20/20 hindsight.

Yeah, I can't be mad. I have been a Martellus fan his entire career.
dools644
Sophomore

Post#48 » by dools644 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:08 am

Cook has been given ridiculous status by Packers fans.

The guy was replacement level with one incredible catch that won a game. This idea that they dropped the ball by getting rid of him is silly.

Rodgers is and always has been the reason for the team's success. Kendricks and Cook are practically the same guy.
dools644
Sophomore

Post#49 » by dools644 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:14 am

The Packers need to be careful about going after Bennett's $8mm. That will look awful to players around the league.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#50 » by El Duderino » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:03 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I thought Cook did great last year but I was fine with the Bennett signing. Obviously 20/20 hindsight.

I think they preferred Bennett because he'd actually try to block in the running game, while Cook was pretty much a large receiver.

The problem on the field at least besides all of the drops, Bennett looked quite a bit slower than Cook and thus couldn't stretch a defense down the middle. I noticed it early on that Bennett wasn't near the downfield threat i was expecting.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#51 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:01 am

Yeah, R.Rodgers looked like a burner next to Bennett.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bears Lead Up - Bulaga Tore ACL, pg 1 

Post#52 » by Bernman » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:39 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I don't think even Bennett's biggest detractors could've predicted that signing would turn out this poorly. TT will probably never sign a FA again after this mess.

TT probably won't be in the job to sign another fa after this mess. I think between the calamitous handling of FA this offseason, recent drafts not bearing enough fruit, and the clamor from national media for Aaron to leave Green Bay; that he won't survive. Someone needs to be blamed and there has to be changes to keep Aaron optimistic for the near future. TT is the guy at the top, culpable one way or another. Most likely all those underneath go down with him.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,999

Post#53 » by humanrefutation » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:36 am

Thompson was rumored to retire soon, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the offseason. Someone like Wolf, Ball, or Gutekunst gets his job. John Dorsey is out there, too.

And if Thompson goes, Mac is likely to follow.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#54 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:55 am

Not to be that guy but this season has been a good example why vet fas are usually fools gold. Older players get hurt more often and with the way the league is set up with tags guys teams really don't want to lose never hit the market. Guys are available for a reason.

Personally I've always liked the draft and develop method as a strategy for team building i just don't think they've done a good enough job of it recently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#55 » by Mich3006 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:49 am

dools644 wrote:The Packers need to be careful about going after Bennett's $8mm. That will look awful to players around the league.

I doubt they´ll get out of his contract.

He passed every medicine check, so the Packers have to blame their medical staff. Bennett could/will claim he didn´t know anything about his bad shoulder...
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#56 » by Prickle » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:11 am

Something definitely smells fishy about this whole Bennett situation. The timeline is just weird. In the matter of a couple weeks....AR gets hurt, Bennett says he's gonna retire, and now the Packers cut him, claiming there was an undisclosed injury? I feel that these things are all related somehow, but I'm not sure we'll ever find out the truth. How quickly this team went from contenders in the NFC, to an absolute dumpster fire, is beyond comical at this point.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,275

Post#57 » by HKPackFan » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:44 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Not to be that guy but this season has been a good example why vet fas are usually fools gold. Older players get hurt more often and with the way the league is set up with tags guys teams really don't want to lose never hit the market. Guys are available for a reason.

Personally I've always liked the draft and develop method as a strategy for team building i just don't think they've done a good enough job of it recently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

I agree with your point, but I still think when you have a glaring whole at a critical position in the offseason and don't feel the rookies are up to the task, I'd rather find a reasonable free agent then decide to go forward with a scrap heap non NFL player or undrafted rookie free agent (who will be back to washing cars in 6 months), and just hope for the best.

I still think free agency has its place, but yes draft and develop 75-80% of the roster.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#58 » by Wisky4life » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:31 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
dools644 wrote:The Packers need to be careful about going after Bennett's $8mm. That will look awful to players around the league.

He passed every medicine check, so the Packers have to blame their medical staff. Bennett could/will claim he didn´t know anything about his bad shoulder...

Was it for his $8 mil? I thought it was for the future money he is owed beyond this season. Figure they pay him this year and try to cut the losses for the next 2.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
dools644
Sophomore

Post#59 » by dools644 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:47 pm

Prickle wrote:Something definitely smells fishy about this whole Bennett situation. The timeline is just weird. In the matter of a couple weeks....AR gets hurt, Bennett says he's gonna retire, and now the Packers cut him, claiming there was an undisclosed injury? I feel that these things are all related somehow, but I'm not sure we'll ever find out the truth. How quickly this team went from contenders in the NFC, to an absolute dumpster fire, is beyond comical at this point.

The JS reported a rumor that he quit on the team when Rodgers got hurt. I suspected that, as I think many did, but seeing it reported by them makes one think it is almost definitely the case.

Honestly, I can't really blame him. The money is mostly immaterial to him at this point, he's north of 30, has won a Super Bowl and has plenty of it. He has a lot of off-field interests. He's not really cut out for the Green Bay community. I imagine at that point it's really difficult to get fired up for 5-11.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#60 » by Mich3006 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:10 pm

Wisky4life wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:

Was it for his $8 mil? I thought it was for the future money he is owed beyond this season. Figure they pay him this year and try to cut the losses for the next 2.

I think they´ll try to get all his money back because he didn´t inform them regarding his shoulder injury... Bennett´s isn´t the type of player who put up with everything, this is going to be ugly if they really try to get their money back.

Return to Green Bay Packers