ImageImage

Game 13: Pack at Browns - Noon Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Re: Game 13: Pack at Browns - Noon Fox 

Post#301 » by th87 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't consider hoping for wins to be a homer. Hoping for losses on the remote chance it would lead to a coaching or GM change seems odd. To each their own.

And an impact player in the draft, which can propel us to *more* Super Bowls.

If the belief is that you're not going to win a SB, why not maximize for next season and beyond? Why would this be difficult to understand?
th87
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Game 13: Pack at Browns - Noon Fox 

Post#302 » by th87 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I don't give a crap who we beat. Two exciting overtime wins in a row is fun to watch. It's why I love football. Those that dismiss the wins because of who we played would be crying the loudest if we lost.

Not just who we played but we barely beat both teams. I will stop being Debbie Downer, I just really wanted to get a top 10 draft pick and get a difference maker. I really don’t want to end up 9-7 where we miss the playoffs but also miss out on a blue chip prospect.

I’m done rooting for losses now and hoping for a miracle finish.

I get it. I personally just don't think draft position is nearly as important in the NFL. I'll take wins anyway I can get them with a hope n a prayer of making a run versus moving up a few spots in the draft

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

It's the difference between drafting Revis vs. Harrell. Or JJ Watt vs. Christian Ponder.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,423

Post#303 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Anyone can cherry pick players to make a point about draft position. I'll cherry pick one. The last time we were in the top 5 we chose Hawk at 5. Greenway went 17 to the Vikings. Greenway was far better (shrug)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Game 13: Pack at Browns - Noon Fox 

Post#304 » by RRyder823 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm

th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Not just who we played but we barely beat both teams. I will stop being Debbie Downer, I just really wanted to get a top 10 draft pick and get a difference maker. I really don’t want to end up 9-7 where we miss the playoffs but also miss out on a blue chip prospect.

I’m done rooting for losses now and hoping for a miracle finish.

I get it. I personally just don't think draft position is nearly as important in the NFL. I'll take wins anyway I can get them with a hope n a prayer of making a run versus moving up a few spots in the draft

It's the difference between drafting Revis vs. Harrell. Or JJ Watt vs. Christian Ponder.

Come on that's just cherry picking. Can I just name every All Pro selected either late in the 1st round or after to prove my point?

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#305 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Yup top 5 was Hawk. We also took Jamaal Reynolds at 10. Draft position just isn't as important in the NFL. We can all pick players who were better or worse than players taken earlier or later. It's pointless because it would be endless.

I'll stick to wanting wins as long as there's a shot. It's not the NBA. In the NFL every playoff team has a shot
th87
General Manager

Post#306 » by th87 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Anyone can cherry pick players to make a point about draft position. I'll cherry pick one. The last time we were in the top 5 we chose Hawk at 5. Greenway went 17 to the Vikings. Greenway was far better (shrug)

Your chances increase the higher you go. Not a novel concept.
th87
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Game 13: Pack at Browns - Noon Fox 

Post#307 » by th87 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:57 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:I get it. I personally just don't think draft position is nearly as important in the NFL. I'll take wins anyway I can get them with a hope n a prayer of making a run versus moving up a few spots in the draft

Come on that's just cherry picking. Can I just name every All Pro selected either late in the 1st round or after to prove my point?

Your odds of selecting an All Pro increases considerably the higher you go.

People rationalize the Packers not being able to field a good defense because they're never in position to draft impact players, but now people say draft position doesn't matter.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#308 » by vital_signs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:57 pm

th87 wrote:

If the belief is that you're not going to win a SB, why not maximize for next season and beyond? Why would this be difficult to understand?

Sounds like you are advocating for the majority of the league to tank because realistically they don't have a shot in hell at the super bowl. To me, if theres a shot you go for it. We aren't eliminated, we can get Rodgers back, we have a shot to make some noise. SB or not, its worth going after for most fans. Throw in the idea of hoisting the trophy in minny, absolutely lets go for it.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
th87
General Manager

Post#309 » by th87 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm

vital_signs wrote:
th87 wrote:

Sounds like you are advocating for the majority of the league to tank because realistically they don't have a shot in hell at the super bowl. To me, if theres a shot you go for it. We aren't eliminated, we can get Rodgers back, we have a shot to make some noise. SB or not, its worth going after for most fans. Throw in the idea of hoisting the trophy in minny, absolutely lets go for it.

I personally agree in the Packers case. We're in a position to go for it.

But I don't begrudge others for having a contrarian viewpoint on this matter. There is a lot of good that could happen if we lost out.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#310 » by RRyder823 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:00 am

th87 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Anyone can cherry pick players to make a point about draft position. I'll cherry pick one. The last time we were in the top 5 we chose Hawk at 5. Greenway went 17 to the Vikings. Greenway was far better (shrug)

Yes but not a prerequisite nor a guarantee.

You're talking about how you'd rather sacrifice any and all chance at a championship, no matter how remote you feel it to be it still exists, on the mere chance you select a All Pro caliber player when there's still a chance to get an All Pro player 10 picks later

(I know I said "you" a lot there. I'm not trying to call u out by any means I simply disagree with the mindset)

bcl20
Starter
And1: 166

Post#311 » by bcl20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 am

The other aspect of tanking is that losing could happen with the lack of development of players. It’s hard to get the right mix of developing the right players but still getting losses in a tank situation.
Go Packers, Go Bulls, Go Cubs, Go Hawkeyes, Go Blackhawks
th87
General Manager

Post#312 » by th87 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:13 am

RRyder823 wrote:
th87 wrote:

Yes but not a prerequisite nor a guarantee.

You're talking about how you'd rather sacrifice any and all chance at a championship, no matter how remote you feel it to be it still exists, on the mere chance you select a All Pro caliber player when there's still a chance to get an All Pro player 10 picks later

(I know I said "you" a lot there. I'm not trying to call u out by any means I simply disagree with the mindset)

And that's fair. Everyone does their analysis on what would be best for the team.

I just don't agree with people talking down on them like they're invalid opinions. There's a strong case to be made for them.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#313 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 am

MickeyDavis wrote: Draft position just isn't as important in the NFL.

Yep. There are so many really good players out there most drafts if you know what you are doing. We sort of knew what we were doing up until 2011.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#314 » by neiLz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Yup top 5 was Hawk. We also took Jamaal Reynolds at 10. Draft position just isn't as important in the NFL. We can all pick players who were better or worse than players taken earlier or later. It's pointless because it would be endless.

I'll stick to wanting wins as long as there's a shot. It's not the NBA. In the NFL every playoff team has a shot

We also got Rodgers at 24
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#315 » by RRyder823 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:50 am

Seahawks lose. Just need them to lose once more, Carolina to drop one of the two they don't play us (assuming we beat them and win out of course) and we're in the POs.

With Philly potentially losing Wentz a deep run is a very real possibility if we run the table and oh how sweet it would be to knock the Vikings out of the POs

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#316 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 am

Tough road to be sure. Carolina is very good. Vikings too. And we always struggle in Detroit.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#317 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:08 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Tough road to be sure. Carolina is very good. Vikings too. And we always struggle in Detroit.

Does this not remind you of the Superbowl season just a little bit?
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#318 » by RRyder823 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:09 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Tough road to be sure. Carolina is very good. Vikings too. And we always struggle in Detroit.

I agree. The road is brutal. But I personally think Carolina is the rubber game. Win that one and theyll run the table.

Or rather past experience has taught me that with all the chips on the line our NFC North brethren tend to never rise to the occasion and keep us out.

I know none of that matters now but if they make it past the Panthers I'll believe the Vikings or Lions can keep us out of the POs the moment the clock strikes zero with them ahead

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#319 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:

Not at all.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#320 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:

The Super Bowl defense held opponents to 20 points or less twelve times, and 10 points or less six times.

Return to Green Bay Packers