ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1041 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Have you guys even heard or read the **** Dorsey's said since becoming GM? The guy is a meathead.

Are you talking about since he became a GM period or the stuff he has said while in CLE?

Haven't paid attention to him in KC, just the stuff since he's gone to Cleveland.

Yeah, I know he said some stuff to basically dis the previous front office pretty harshly, beyond that, I have no idea.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,934

Post#1042 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Have you guys even heard or read the **** Dorsey's said since becoming GM? The guy is a meathead.

Yeah, he definitely rubbed me the wrong way with how he presented himself after he was hired in Cleveland. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good GM.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Post#1043 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm

David Bakhtiari is the best LT in the game.

Pass Protection: 22/25
Run Blocking: 16/20
Power: 16/20
Agility: 20/25
Position Value: 9/10
Overall Grade: 83/100

Green Bay's David Bakhtiari emerged as an elite pass protector in 2016, and despite missing four games in 2017, he still turned in an All-Pro-caliber 2017 season. Bakhtiari gave up just one sack on the season per our charting and used sound technique and agility to open lanes in the running game. His stellar campaign is easy to overlook with the lack of overall success for the Packers and the Aaron Rodgers injury, but Green Bay has a franchise left tackle it can continue to build around as it shuffles personnel not only on the field, but in the front office as well.

—NFL1000 OT Scout Duke Manyweather

A fourth-round pick in 2013, Bakhtiari was pressed into service as Green Bay's starting left tackle in his rookie campaign, and he's been there ever since. The technique fixes he's undergone since then show up on tape, and they make him the NFL's most consistent pass-blocker right now. Bakhtiari comes off the snap very quickly with efficient footwork.

His arc isn't always pretty in a Joe Thomas sense, but he's strong and athletic enough to make it work. And given that he's blocked for two highly mobile quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley, Bakhtiari's insistence on not giving up sacks and pressures is even more impressive, as is the fact that he does this in a limited passing offense that forces its quarterbacks to hold the ball longer than they'd like.

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#1044 » by Dandridgefav » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

TEAM NEEDS
2 or 3 pass rushing OLB – (draft one 1st or 2nd)
1 CB – need veteran
1 TE – (perhaps draft 1st or 2nd)
1 OT – (release Bulaga) 2nd tier older vet plays both OT - like QB critical to have reliable backup LT
1 WR – (release Cobb OR Nelson – probably Cobb) (perhaps draft 2nd or 3rd)

OLB
Move Matthews inside permanently.
Return Perry, Biegel, Gilbert
Draft 1st or 2nd
Sign 1 FA 2 if possible
Based only on stats and salary – without essential injury, attitude or leadership info - I like these guys:
Player - Age-team-GP-tack-sack-QB hits – 2017 salary

I’d steal one of Chicago’s guys
Sam Acho 29 – chi –16-42-3-17 855
Lamarr Houston 30 – chi –10-17-5-9 900
Junior Galette 29 –was–16-20-3-13 800

one of these youngsters
Devon Kennard ---- 26 -nyg - 15-42-4-7 - 581
Marquis Flowers --- 25 – ne –16-30-4-4 - 574
Cassius Marsh ------ 25 – sf – 15-27-3-6 - 672

I’d consider either of these guys if failed getting any of those above
Connor Barwin ----- 31 – la – 14-34-5-12 - 3.5m
Barkevious Mingo - 27 – ind –16-44-2-7 - 2mil

(FYI - Ahmad Brooks - 33 – gb – 16-24-1-4 - 3.5m)

DEF. 2NDARY
Keep Burnett strictly at SS alongside Dix
Sign FA vet CB if possible – use FA, King, Randall, House as primary CBs.
one of those 4 as Nickel.
Try Jones as dime & in the box near LOS
with the experience from last season - lots of youngsters to develop - Brice, Evans, Hawkins, etc.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#1045 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:28 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:David Bakhtiari is the best LT in the game.

Pass Protection: 22/25
Run Blocking: 16/20
Power: 16/20
Agility: 20/25
Position Value: 9/10
Overall Grade: 83/100

Green Bay's David Bakhtiari emerged as an elite pass protector in 2016, and despite missing four games in 2017, he still turned in an All-Pro-caliber 2017 season. Bakhtiari gave up just one sack on the season per our charting and used sound technique and agility to open lanes in the running game. His stellar campaign is easy to overlook with the lack of overall success for the Packers and the Aaron Rodgers injury, but Green Bay has a franchise left tackle it can continue to build around as it shuffles personnel not only on the field, but in the front office as well.

—NFL1000 OT Scout Duke Manyweather

A fourth-round pick in 2013, Bakhtiari was pressed into service as Green Bay's starting left tackle in his rookie campaign, and he's been there ever since. The technique fixes he's undergone since then show up on tape, and they make him the NFL's most consistent pass-blocker right now. Bakhtiari comes off the snap very quickly with efficient footwork.

His arc isn't always pretty in a Joe Thomas sense, but he's strong and athletic enough to make it work. And given that he's blocked for two highly mobile quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley, Bakhtiari's insistence on not giving up sacks and pressures is even more impressive, as is the fact that he does this in a limited passing offense that forces its quarterbacks to hold the ball longer than they'd like.

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar

Yeah but he's way overpaid. Can't believe we gave him that extension.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1046 » by bizarro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:32 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

Yeah, he definitely rubbed me the wrong way with how he presented himself after he was hired in Cleveland. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good GM.

For the lazily inclined in this department, can anyone give some snippets of what rubbed the rhubarb the wrong way? :D
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1047 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I really don't think we need to, nor should we, cut Cobb or Jordy. Jordy has already said he's willing to take a pay cut, and I think Cobb is still a pretty decent WR too as long as #12 is healthy. Jordy's done after next year anyway, so the WR situation will set itself out as is without having to get rid of one of them. I would also like to draft another WR, but I wouldn't spend our first round pick on that position.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1048 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm

bizarro wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

For the lazily inclined in this department, can anyone give some snippets of what rubbed the rhubarb the wrong way? :D

This is the only comment that I recall, but I think he is straight up correct

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns new GM John Dorsey didn't hold back on his assessment of the previous regime, one that was 1-27 when Sashi Brown was fired last week.

"You know what? You've got to get (Hue Jackson) players,'' Dorsey told the "Really Big Show'' with Aaron Goldhammer on WKNR 850, the radio home of the Browns. "And you know what? I'll come straight out with it. The guys who were here before, that system, they didn't get real players."

It was a strong condemnation of the analytics-based front office, one that didn't have an experienced evaluator on the executive team.

"As Bill Parcells would always say, 'you are your record' and you know what? There it is, so that's the truth-teller in this thing,'' said Dorsey. "And I'm going to do my darnedest to get Hue players.

"And that's all I can ask for, and that's all I'm going to do. I like the man.''

Dorsey also refused to guarantee that Jackson will be back in 2018.

"I live in the present and I build for the future,'' he said. "Right now the sun's out, the tarps are coming out, we're practicing outside, we're getting ready to play the Baltimore Ravens and that's my sole focus. And then it's also getting familiar with the whole layout and the organizational structure.''
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1049 » by crkone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Again, WTF is an NFL1000 Scout? If I start a blog can I become an NFL2000 Scout?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1050 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

crkone wrote:Again, WTF is an NFL1000 Scout? If I start a blog can I become an NFL2000 Scout?

Doug Farrar is really good at his job.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1051 » by crkone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
crkone wrote:Again, WTF is an NFL1000 Scout? If I start a blog can I become an NFL2000 Scout?

Ah so I could only be an NFL500 scout. :oops:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1052 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 pm

crkone wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Ah so I could only be an NFL500 scout. :oops:

Maybe you could be NFL100O
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,183

Post#1053 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I don't cut Cobb unless we have a better option in place. If there is a free agent we can get who is as good/better at a good price great. Otherwise it's Cobb's last year anyway so keep him. Rodgers needs receivers. I don't see Ty (if he moves back), Davis, Allison, Clark, etc... as being more than fringe players.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1054 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm

The Green Bay Packers will not play in London in 2018.

The NFL announced three games scheduled for London in the coming season. It did not announce plans for a game in Mexico City, but the Packers aren't expected to go there, either.

The London schedule includes Seattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders, Tottenham stadium, Oct. 14; Philadelphia Eagles vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28; Tennessee Titans vs. Los Angeles Chargers, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.

The Eagles, Titans and Seahawks are playing their first overseas games. Only the Packers and Carolina Panthers have not played a foreign game since the NFL began this initiative in 2007. The Packers did play a preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs in 1998 in Tokyo.

Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy has said the Packers are willing to play overseas, but they will not give up a home game to do so. Green Bay is the smallest market in the NFL and the loss of a home Packers game would have a disproportionate effect on the local economy.

But teams hosting the Packers have been equally reluctant to give up a home game because Green Bay travels exceptionally well and usually fill stadiums.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1055 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't cut Cobb unless we have a better option in place. If there is a free agent we can get who is as good/better at a good price great. Otherwise it's Cobb's last year anyway so keep him. Rodgers needs receivers. I don't see Ty (if he moves back), Davis, Allison, Clark, etc... as being more than fringe players.

Cobb's cap hit is 12M this year and I believe 3M if you cut him. I would much rather pay any of the following on a 2 to 3 year deal which I suspect will be about 1/3rd the cost

Kendall Wright
Ryan Grant
John Brown
Marquis Lee
Donte Moncrief
And maybe Jarvis Landry, who won't make what Cobb makes but will be more than the guys I listed. Any of those guys are likely locks to produce what Cobb has put up at a fraction of the cost.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1056 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
The Green Bay Packers will not play in London in 2018.

The NFL announced three games scheduled for London in the coming season. It did not announce plans for a game in Mexico City, but the Packers aren't expected to go there, either.

The London schedule includes Seattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders, Tottenham stadium, Oct. 14; Philadelphia Eagles vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28; Tennessee Titans vs. Los Angeles Chargers, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.

The Eagles, Titans and Seahawks are playing their first overseas games. Only the Packers and Carolina Panthers have not played a foreign game since the NFL began this initiative in 2007. The Packers did play a preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs in 1998 in Tokyo.

Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy has said the Packers are willing to play overseas, but they will not give up a home game to do so. Green Bay is the smallest market in the NFL and the loss of a home Packers game would have a disproportionate effect on the local economy.

But teams hosting the Packers have been equally reluctant to give up a home game because Green Bay travels exceptionally well and usually fill stadiums.

This should be so cut and dry, if you have one of the worst 5 home attendances in the previous season and did not play overseas the previous year, you are hosting a home game overseas.

If teams don't like it, get more fans to show up at your games, simple as that, if you can't, tough ****, you will likely be making more money then playing overseas
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1057 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Yeah those are some good alternatives. Chemistry is important though. Familiarity with the offense and (especially) with Rodgers. If we do make WR changes I hope it's done early in FA, give the new guy(s) the whole off season.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1058 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I don't cut Cobb unless we have a better option in place. If there is a free agent we can get who is as good/better at a good price great. Otherwise it's Cobb's last year anyway so keep him. Rodgers needs receivers. I don't see Ty (if he moves back), Davis, Allison, Clark, etc... as being more than fringe players.

Cobb's cap hit is 12M this year and I believe 3M if you cut him. I would much rather pay any of the following on a 2 to 3 year deal which I suspect will be about 1/3rd the cost

Kendall Wright
Ryan Grant
John Brown
Marquis Lee
Donte Moncrief
And maybe Jarvis Landry, who won't make what Cobb makes but will be more than the guys I listed. Any of those guys are likely locks to produce what Cobb has put up at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not saying Cobb is a top 10 WR or anything ridiculous like that, but he's better than those guys. Pretty easily too, IMO.

The cap shouldn't be a concern, even with three WR's making $10 million plus next year. It's a one time thing, that will drop as soon as Jordy is a FA/retires after 2018. I'm hesitant cutting a good player, all to save a little bit of money, when you're not really in a position where you have to save money. And like I said earlier, I think Jordy would agree to restructure his deal, worse comes to worse.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1059 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Kendall Wright
Ryan Grant
John Brown
Marquis Lee
Donte Moncrief

I'm not saying Cobb is a top 10 WR or anything ridiculous like that, but he's better than those guys. Pretty easily too, IMO.

The cap shouldn't be a concern, even with three WR's making $10 million plus next year. It's a one time thing, that will drop as soon as Jordy is a FA/retires after 2018. I'm hesitant cutting a good player, all to save a little bit of money, when you're not really in a position where you have to save money. And like I said earlier, I think Jordy would agree to restructure his deal, worse comes to worse.

Cobbs last "good" season was in 2015. Maybe he is better than those guys, but when factor in cost, and more importantly the opportunity cost (that is 10M you could use to give yourself a respectable defense), it is a no brainer that he has to go. And Jordy has to restructure, his ability to play WR without Rodgers makes him about a 3M-4M a year WR.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1060 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Cobb would be fine at his price tag if McCarthy wasn't coaching.

Return to Green Bay Packers