ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1101 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm

No real surprised in McGinn's OL grades. Here is Spriggs:

Made minimal, if any progress in his second season after an awful rookie year. This second-round draft choice needs to avail himself of his third-year chance or that will be all she wrote. Spriggs missed nine games with a hamstring injury suffered blocking for an extra point on his first play of the season. Upon his return he couldn’t have played worse in 22 snaps off the bench Nov. 19 against the Ravens. Went the distance at RT in Games 11-14 before suffering a season-ending dislocated kneecap in Game 15. After displaying some improvement in Games 11-12, he was terrible in Cleveland and fell apart in the fourth quarter in Carolina. It’s as if the athleticism that he had coming out of Indiana is in remission. He bends at the waist, loses his balance and can’t seem to protect the inside. As a run blocker, he’s inconsistent coming off the ball, following assignments and sustaining. Spriggs finished with 17 pressures, three more than last year, and seven “bad” runs, one-half less than in 2016. Grade: F.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#1102 » by sdn40 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:I'm interested in the reasoning as to why people aren't behind the Pettine hire. I don't get it.

Yep. Nothing like signing up a guy who has done nothing but run dominant defenses after being one of the worst defenses in the league and still having people who are upset about it. Makes sense.

There are valid reasons to be cautiously optimistic. Google the depth chart of the Jets and Bills defenses he coordinated. Those teams were loaded on that side of the ball and didn't have a 30m QB salary to contend with. We could spend every single draft pick on defense for the next 5 years and not accumulate the talent he had on that Jets team. Actually, we wouldn't even come close. Yea we can sign some free agents. Ball park guess is we would need to spend about 90m to get the equivalent of Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Taylor, Scott etc etc. I have no problem with being optimistic, but let's not be blind
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#1103 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:57 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Balls2TheWalls wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:I'm interested in the reasoning as to why people aren't behind the Pettine hire. I don't get it.

Yep. Nothing like signing up a guy who has done nothing but run dominant defenses after being one of the worst defenses in the league and still having people who are upset about it. Makes sense.

There are valid reasons to be cautiously optimistic. Google the depth chart of the Jets and Bills defenses he coordinated. Those teams were loaded on that side of the ball and didn't have a 30m QB salary to contend with. We could spend every single draft pick on defense for the next 5 years and not accumulate the talent he had on that Jets team. Actually, we wouldn't even come close. Yea we can sign some free agents. Ball park guess is we would need to spend about 90m to get the equivalent of Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Taylor, Scott etc etc. I have no problem with being optimistic, but let's not be blind

The issue I am having is not with people being cautious, but with people having no possible outcome of them being pleased or even "cautiously optimistic". How are people going to cry for Capers' head, claim that anything is better, and then, when we sign arguably the best defensive coordinator available, going to find a way to complain about that too before he has even gotten to give a press conference about accepting the job?

I would contend that he has done more than enough in his history to think that we are going to improve as a defense going into next year. The team doesn't need a top 5 defense to be great. We need a team that isn't a bottom 5 defense.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1104 » by crkone » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Huh?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1105 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm

crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh?

I mean, if Rodgers is healthy and the defense makes an improvement, the Packers have as good of a shot as anybody.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#1106 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am

Always have a shot with AR. Anxious to see what our new GM/DC can do.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1107 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 am

crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh?

Ummm yeah. If Rodgers never gets hurt we'd stand a good chance of playing this week so yeah. And that's with Dom Capers coaching the defence.

Don't fall for the narrative that this team needs at least 2 unbelievable off-seasons to be in the discussion. A healthy Rodgers with even just a marginally improved D and this team is probably the front runner in the NFC

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,354

Post#1108 » by M-C-G » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 am

RRyder823 wrote:
crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh?

Ummm yeah. If Rodgers never gets hurt we'd stand a good chance of playing this week so yeah. And that's with Dom Capers coaching the defence.

Don't fall for the narrative that this team needs at least 2 unbelievable off-seasons to be in the discussion. A healthy Rodgers with even just a marginally improved D and this team is probably the front runner in the NFC

Yup. Even with Capers we were on track for a 13-3 season with a healthy ARod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1109 » by crkone » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh?

Yup. Even with Capers we were on track for a 13-3 season with a healthy ARod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more that I'm surprised at Vegas.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#1110 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

A healthy Rodgers means the Packers will and should be the favorites to win the division again. The surprising thing to me is that Vegas would give the Vikings equal odds as both the Packers Eagles.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,742

Post#1111 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:A healthy Rodgers means the Packers will and should be the favorites to win the division again. The surprising thing to me is that Vegas would give the Vikings equal odds as both the Packers Eagles.

The Vikings are really good, really young, and I'd absolutely have them as the favorites in the division next year.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1112 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm

I'll take elite/consistent QB play as the greater indicator of future success. The last time the Vikings won the division we were all told that it was a "changing of the guard" too. QB's win you championships.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#1113 » by Balls2TheWalls » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:A healthy Rodgers means the Packers will and should be the favorites to win the division again. The surprising thing to me is that Vegas would give the Vikings equal odds as both the Packers Eagles.

The Vikings are really good, really young, and I'd absolutely have them as the favorites in the division next year.

Not same. They have no quarterback under contract for the future, and their OC is one of the favorites to take a job elsewhere and take the QB they rode to the NFC Championship with him.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1114 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Not same. They have no quarterback under contract for the future, and their OC is one of the favorites to take a job elsewhere and take the QB they rode to the NFC Championship with him.

Yep -- look how far the Falcons offense fell when they lost Shanahan. Granted the Vikings are also going to be getting Cook back next year, but losing Shurmur could be quite a loss for them on offense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1115 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Ya'll forget about the Franchise tag? If they want Case back he'll be back. Or they could go with one of the two previous starters who both did well for them.

They'll still have one of the two or three best defenses, elite playmakers on the outside and Cook returning at runningback. The Vikings are the clear class of the division.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1116 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm

"Clear class of the division?" C'mon man.

They were an 11-5 team by estimated average point differential. Their passing offense was hovering around league average and their rush offense was at points abysmal (23rd in YPC). That defense slips even a little bit and they're right back in that 7-8 win range like they were last year. I'd take Zimmer as a coach over McCarthy 10 times out of 10, but you're putting a lot of faith in Case Keenum continuing his best Alex Smith impression and a rookie RB coming off an ACL tear.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1117 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:32 am

Ron Swanson wrote:"Clear class of the division?" C'mon man.

They were an 11-5 team by estimated average point differential. Their passing offense was hovering around league average and their rush offense was at points abysmal (23rd in YPC). That defense slips even a little bit and they're right back in that 7-8 win range like they were last year. I'd take Zimmer as a coach over McCarthy 10 times out of 10, but you're putting a lot of faith in Case Keenum continuing his best Alex Smith impression and a rookie RB coming off an ACL tear.

Our backup QB was able to barely beat the very worst teams in the league. Their backup QB won 11 games and is in the NFC Championship. They've got one of the most talent laden teams in the league, the Packers have one All-Pro player outside of Rodgers.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#1118 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Ya'll forget about the Franchise tag? If they want Case back he'll be back. Or they could go with one of the two previous starters who both did well for them.

They'll still have one of the two or three best defenses, elite playmakers on the outside and Cook returning at runningback. The Vikings are the clear class of the division.

They are looking to pay Case Keenum 24 million dollars next season? I don't think so. He might have had a good season, but he was not a play making quarterback. He didn't turn the ball over. That would actually be nuts. Any of them are going to cost real money with the exception of Bridgewater, who could easily not be a great player anymore. I agree their defense is good, and they have 1 more season before they have to start paying it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1119 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:"Clear class of the division?" C'mon man.

Our backup QB was able to barely beat the very worst teams in the league. Their backup QB won 11 games and is in the NFC Championship. They've got one of the most talent laden teams in the league, the Packers have one All-Pro player outside of Rodgers.

Our backup QB was the worst QB in the league and their back up was better then their starter

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,387

Post#1120 » by Profound23 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 am

Sportsradio 105.7: "Green Bay Packers safety Morgan Burnett is set to be a free agent. Sportrac sets his market value at $11.4 million per season. Would you bring him back at that price? If not, what is a reasonable contract for Morgan Burnett?"

Return to Green Bay Packers