ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1181 » by rilamann » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:24 am

RRyder823 wrote:
rilamann wrote:And before I get the ''It's hard to win a Super Bowl'' line.

The biggest reason why it's hard is because you usually need a great QB and great QBs are very hard to come by.

Yet the Packers have arguably the greatest QB of all time and can't seem to get to one.

Hell, never mind 2 Super Bowls, the Packers have had Aaron Rodgers for 10 seasons as a starter and have only gotten the playoff bye 2 times.

That's insane, oh wait we play in the NFC North and have to play the Bears and Lions twice a year, no wonder we never get the playoff bye.

Should we just count the number of great QBs with one or less championships?

And no there's a multitude of reasons why it's so damn hard to win a championship. A great QB gives an advantage no doubt but so does fielding an elite D. Or not having injuries at key positions. I could go on but you get the point

Yo RealGM mobile app

But none of those great QBs are as great as Aaron Rodgers.

And just because other great QBs only won one or didn't win one at all doesn't make it acceptable, at least to not me. It will be a travesty if Rodgers retires having only played in 1 Super Bowl.

Plus a lot of the other greats have better excuses. Peyton Manning only won one with the Colts, but he had to go through the Patriots in the AFC, how many Super Bowls would he have played in if not for the Pats? Not to mention the Steelers have been pretty damn good and consistent over the past 10+ seasons. Plus Manning at least played in 2 Super Bowls with the Colts. Dan Marino only played in 1 Super Bowl, but he played in the same division as the Buffalo Bills who were an AFC power during a big chunk of Marino's prime. Brett Favre played in 2, won one, but he had to face the 90's Cowboys a bunch of times in the playoffs when he had a really good defense.

The teams that have prevent Aaron Rodgers and the Packers from playing in more than 1 Super Bowl are teams that no one barley remembers even now. The 2011 Giants being the only exception, but they humiliated us at home in the playoffs after a 15-1 regular season.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1182 » by BUCKnation » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:09 am

Eh, Packers faced some short lived buzzsaws. There was a stretch were every team we lost to made the Owl.

After the SB win:
11/12 - Giants - won SB
12/13 - SF - lost SB in very close game
13/14 - SF - 8-6-1 team, with Rodgers fresh off injury. SF barely lost to SB champs SEA
14/15 - SEA - choked SB
15/16 - AZ - flawed team, made it close. AZ lost to heavy SB favorite CAR
16/17 - ATL - choked SB

Sure we were favorites in some of those, but its not like we lost to a 'cupcake', when we were expected to win like the Steelers losing to the Jags at home.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,511

Post#1183 » by th87 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:48 am

rilamann wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:
rilamann wrote:As a Mike Pettine skeptic I came away pretty impressed watching his press conference. I've heard him speak before obviously, but he came across as a confident no nonsense guy in the presser. Def doesn't seem like a bumbling idiot who the game has passed by.

If Mike McCarthy wasn't still around I would be extremely optimistic about the Packer's future. As long as fat mac is around the Packer's end result is never going to change.

You know he's won a super bowl right? He's not like Marvin Lewis or Marty Schottenheimer were he's been somewhere 10 years and never won anything. If they give him more talent on the roster like we used to have, I have no doubt he can coach another super bowl team. I'm not a huge McCarthy fan either, but he's definitely above average and has shown the ability to get over the hump that other great coaches could not.

I think it's a good scenario that he's on the hot seat with a one year prove it year. If the team underachieves he's gone.

No, Aaron Rodgers won McCarthy a Super Bowl....7 **** years ago.

In 10 seasons with Aaron Rodgers as his starting QB, McCarthy has gotten the Packers to 1 Super Bowl. That's hilariously terrible.

Especially when you consider that the NFC has been pretty mediocre in that time period. Where's the dominant consistent year in and year out team in the NFC? There hasn't been one, every season it's a new flash in the pan team that wins the NFC. If there was an NFC version of the Patriots knocking us out every year I could live with that. If we had gone to another Super Bowl or 2 and lost to the Patriots I could live with that.

What I have a hard time with, is Aaron Rodgers playing in 1 Super Bowl in 10 seasons because the Packers can't win in the playoffs against teams lead by all time greats at QB like Colin Kaepernick and Carson **** Palmer.

And yes, I don't expect to reach the Super Bowl every season, but 1 appearance in 10 seasons with Aaron Rodgers as your starting QB?

If someone froze me in like 2009 when Rodgers was only his 2nd season as starter but had played enough for me to know he was really really good, then thawed me out right now in 2018 and told me the Packers have only been to 1 Super Bowl I would think they were **** with me.

Then if they told me Mike McCarthy was still the head coach I would be like ok, now I KNOW you're **** with me.

As for Marvin Lewis and Marty Schottenheimer, I would love to see what they would do over a 10 year period with Aaron Rodgers as their starting QB.

Marty Schottenheimer did more or at least just as much as McCarthy with Steven Bono as his QB....lol.

If, by medical miracle, you came out of a 9-year cryogenic coma successfully, the conversation you'd choose to have is the Packers' record in the intervening years?
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,511

Post#1184 » by th87 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:52 am

rilamann wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
rilamann wrote:And before I get the ''It's hard to win a Super Bowl'' line.

The biggest reason why it's hard is because you usually need a great QB and great QBs are very hard to come by.

Yet the Packers have arguably the greatest QB of all time and can't seem to get to one.

Hell, never mind 2 Super Bowls, the Packers have had Aaron Rodgers for 10 seasons as a starter and have only gotten the playoff bye 2 times.

That's insane, oh wait we play in the NFC North and have to play the Bears and Lions twice a year, no wonder we never get the playoff bye.

Should we just count the number of great QBs with one or less championships?

And no there's a multitude of reasons why it's so damn hard to win a championship. A great QB gives an advantage no doubt but so does fielding an elite D. Or not having injuries at key positions. I could go on but you get the point

Yo RealGM mobile app

But none of those great QBs are as great as Aaron Rodgers.

And just because other great QBs only won one or didn't win one at all doesn't make it acceptable, at least to not me. It will be a travesty if Rodgers retires having only played in 1 Super Bowl.

Plus a lot of the other greats have better excuses. Peyton Manning only won one with the Colts, but he had to go through the Patriots in the AFC, how many Super Bowls would he have played in if not for the Pats? Not to mention the Steelers have been pretty damn good and consistent over the past 10+ seasons. Plus Manning at least played in 2 Super Bowls with the Colts. Dan Marino only played in 1 Super Bowl, but he played in the same division as the Buffalo Bills who were an AFC power during a big chunk of Marino's prime. Brett Favre played in 2, won one, but he had to face the 90's Cowboys a bunch of times in the playoffs when he had a really good defense.

The teams that have prevent Aaron Rodgers and the Packers from playing in more than 1 Super Bowl are teams that no one barley remembers even now. The 2011 Giants being the only exception, but they humiliated us at home in the playoffs after a 15-1 regular season.

Exactly. Modern era rankings go:

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Montana
4. Manning

Rodgers has been the least successful.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1185 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:26 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22285473/aaron-rodgers-miffed-green-bay-packers-bring-back-qb-coach-alex-van-pelt

Aaron Rodgers was as surprised as anyone to see his quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt leave the Green Bay Packers last month.

And he doesn't sound too happy about it.

Appearing on ESPN Radio's Golic & Wingo from the Super Bowl in Minneapolis on Thursday, Rodgers said some of the Packers' offseason coaching changes were "a little strange."

"Well, my quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said when asked for specifics. "I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision."

EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1186 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:07 pm

That article is such #FakeNews, lol. He later went on to say that he's excited with the Philbin hire and thinks the offense can get back to where it was when he was last here.

I don't blame him for being upset, because it did seem like Van Pelt was/is a friend of his. But someone had to take the fall for Hundley looking as incompetent as he did this year.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1187 » by Bernman » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:49 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:That article is such #FakeNews, lol. He later went on to say that he's excited with the Philbin hire and thinks the offense can get back to where it was when he was last here.

I don't blame him for being upset, because it did seem like Van Pelt was/is a friend of his. But someone had to take the fall for Hundley looking as incompetent as he did this year.

That's become the most overused phrase, now bumping out "conspiracy theory", which are both censorship/brainwashing tactics of course and have arbitrary applications.

It was fact news. He was miffed that he lost his quarterback coach. People can read into it what they like, but it doesn't help his morale, and that's something that should be considered when he's this important to the team and the supporting cast has been disappointing since the Super Bowl victory (which he alluded to with his comment the defense needs to raise its level). He's not on the verge of leaving, but we don't need to continually give him reasons.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,220

Post#1188 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:53 pm

Sounds like Van Pelt wanted to leave. He wanted to be an OC. He let his contract run out to be a "free agent". And he didn't get an OC job anyway. So sure, Rodgers is miffed but it doesn't sound like Van Pelt was let go, he left. Although CIgnetti was hired 1/10 and Van Pelt was hired by the Bengals on 1/12. So who knows.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#1189 » by humanrefutation » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:05 pm

I honestly DGAF about Aaron's opinions on AVP. The Packers shouldn't focus on hiring his buddies - they need to focus on hiring coaches that will make them better. It doesn't really matter who Aaron's QB Coach is - he's a HOFer regardless. But those backups need to show progress, and Hundley wasn't good last year.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1190 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:22 pm

Bernman wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:That article is such #FakeNews, lol. He later went on to say that he's excited with the Philbin hire and thinks the offense can get back to where it was when he was last here.

That's become the most overused phrase, now bumping out "conspiracy theory", which are both censorship/brainwashing tactics of course and have arbitrary applications.

It was fact news. He was miffed that he lost his quarterback coach. People can read into it what they like, but it doesn't help his morale, and that's something that should be considered when he's this important to the team and the supporting cast has been disappointing since the Super Bowl victory (which he alluded to with his comment the defense needs to raise its level). He's not on the verge of leaving, but we don't need to continually give him reasons.

He's not on the verge of leaving because he's about to become the richest man in the history of the sport. I have a feeling once he agrees to the extension this spring or summer, this whole thing with Van Pelt will be a complete after thought.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#1191 » by GB_Packers » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:49 pm

“It’s not Fake News!”

*proceeds to show exactly why it is Fake News*
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#1192 » by ak7 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 12:37 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sports/football/ct-aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-packers-super-bowl-20180201-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D&i10c.ua=1

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers wants to take the same path as Tom Brady, still flinging footballs and chasing championships at age 40.

He knows he might have to leave Green Bay to do that.

The 34-year-old acknowledged Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press that he may have to play for another team like Brett Favre did at the end of his Hall-of-Fame career.

Rodgers said he doesn't think Favre ever fathomed leaving Green Bay before the Packers dealt him in 2008 to the Jets to make room for Rodgers. Favre finished his career in Minnesota.

"I think you have to be humble enough to realize if it could happen to Brett, it can happen to you," Rodgers said.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1193 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:02 am

ak7 wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sports/football/ct-aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-packers-super-bowl-20180201-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D&i10c.ua=1

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers wants to take the same path as Tom Brady, still flinging footballs and chasing championships at age 40.

The 34-year-old acknowledged Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press that he may have to play for another team like Brett Favre did at the end of his Hall-of-Fame career.

Rodgers said he doesn't think Favre ever fathomed leaving Green Bay before the Packers dealt him in 2008 to the Jets to make room for Rodgers. Favre finished his career in Minnesota.

"I think you have to be humble enough to realize if it could happen to Brett, it can happen to you," Rodgers said.

That's true, but only on the Packers terms. If the Packers wanted to keep Favre back in 2008, they could have done so. They decided not to.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#1194 » by Profound23 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:36 am

humanrefutation wrote:
ak7 wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sports/football/ct-aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-packers-super-bowl-20180201-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D&i10c.ua=1

That's true, but only on the Packers terms. If the Packers wanted to keep Favre back in 2008, they could have done so. They decided not to.

I mean it could happen to anyone. Probably will happen to Aaron too if:

1.) He decides to publicly contemplate retirement every year
2.) A #1 ranked QB falls in the draft all the way to us
3.) He then gets mad that we drafted this #1 ranked QB and wants to stick it to us

As long as those things don't happen, I think the chances of Aaron playing elsewhere are pretty slim.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1195 » by El Duderino » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:19 am

Profound23 wrote:
3.) He then gets mad that we drafted this #1 ranked QB and wants to stick it to us

As long as those things don't happen, I think the chances of Aaron playing elsewhere are pretty slim.

Mostly agree. The only other scenario is we keep putting garbage defenses out there and he gets frustrated enough that he finally wants out.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1196 » by RRyder823 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:24 am

Profound23 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Truth be told #3 will happen litteraly the moment we draft a QB higher then the 4th round.

Guys are human and don't want to give up their jobs. And when you bring in a guy high that's exactly what your doing.

I remember a interview with Steve Young where he was talking about how Montana gave him the cold shoulder constantly and how he thought it was probably similar to the Rodgers/Favre thing. He also went on to talk about how he ended doing the same type of stuff when the 49ers started to bring in successors to him

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Pettine New DC (pg 46), Wolf to CLE (pg 49) 

Post#1197 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:25 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:That's true, but only on the Packers terms. If the Packers wanted to keep Favre back in 2008, they could have done so. They decided not to.

Truth be told #3 will happen litteraly the moment we draft a QB higher then the 4th round.

Guys are human and don't want to give up their jobs. And when you bring in a guy high that's exactly what your doing.

I remember a interview with Steve Young where he was talking about how Montana gave him the cold shoulder constantly and how he thought it was probably similar to the Rodgers/Favre thing. He also went on to talk about how he ended doing the same type of stuff when the 49ers started to bring in successors to him

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Just saw the same beef between Brady and Jimmy G.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#1198 » by dbrodz7 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:32 am

He won't be going anywhere unless the Packers want him to. He's such a good player and so important to this team that they could franchise tag him the unprecedented three times in a row and he would still be worth the $40 million or whatever it would be at that point in time.
Misery loves company
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#1199 » by Dandridgefav » Fri Feb 2, 2018 10:51 am

well the good news is .. um ..er .. oh yeah ... we could be wasting this season having given TT one more year. Instead we will be wasting this season giving MM one more year ... so ... um .. Pack has reduced its wasting seasons from 2020 to 2019???
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,938

Post#1200 » by stillgotgame » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:32 pm

If the new GM is dumb enough to draft a QB in the higher rounds before Rodgers gets an extension he should leave.
Why haven't we locked him up for more years yet? The market is only going to go higher.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Green Bay Packers