ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: 2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1221 » by FAH1223 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:06 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:So any interest in Malcolm butler? Its pretty safe to say he won't be returning to NE.

Why not? We need any help at CB.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#1222 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:56 pm

From King

I voted for Jerry Kramer. Not saying I’m right, not saying I’m wrong. But I do believe when I enter the room I owe it to every candidate to have an open mind. Kramer was named as one of two guards on the NFL’s 50-year anniversary team in 1969 after an 11-year Packer career that ended that year. As many readers know, I’d been against Kramer’s candidacy. Two reasons: He had his case heard 11 times previously—10 times as a modern-era finalist, and once as a Seniors Committee nominees. He’d failed to get the 80 percent vote required to gain entry, ever. And now, 21 years after his last attempt, here came the former Packers guard who’d made the most famous block in NFL history, the pile-clearing block that allowed Green Bay quarterback Bart Starr to score the winning sneak in the Ice Bowl 50 years ago, as a Seniors Committee nominee again. Basically, I didn’t like that today’s 48-member committee was being asked to clean up the mess left by the committees of yesteryear. Maybe those committee members were right in spurning Kramer. How could we know? We could watch some highlights, and rely on old timers’ recollections of his play. But of the 48 current members of the voting committee, no one covered the Packers back then. At-large member Vito Stellino did see Kramer play. But we didn’t cover the man. Those who did never voted him in.

Two: Five-and-a-half years ago, I spoke to Starr and asked him if there was anyone he felt had been forgotten by the Hall of Fame over the years. Yes, he said; tackle Bob Skoronski. Anyone else, I wondered? Starr said no. In recent months, and particularly over the weekend, the weight of Kramer’s accomplishments, and theories about why he never made it (old AFL writers on the committee thinking the Hall was overstuffed with Packers, for instance, as well as pushback from players and media over his enlightening, not-quite-Ball-Four-book Instant Replay), made a dent on me. I just thought there was a good chance I was wrong. I’m still not certain I was, but I listened to those I respect on the committee and put an X in the “Yes” box when I voted. Glad I did. For more on Kramer, read Andy Benoit’s story after he spent much of the evening with Kramer on Saturday.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1223 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 5, 2018 6:53 pm

Among Kings 11 games to look forward to next season:

Green Bay at New England. Regular-season game of the year. I find this amazing: Assuming Tom Brady comes back in 2018 for his 19th season, this will be the second time Aaron Rodgers (34 on opening day) and Brady (41) will start an NFL game against each other. Rodgers played in relief of Brett Favre in a 2006 game … Rodgers missed the 2010 meeting with a concussion—his only missed start of that season … Green Bay won the 2014 meeting, the only head-to-head game between the greats, 26-21, at Lambeau Field. Each threw for two touchdowns and no interceptions that day. The 2018 game would normally be on FOX if played on Sunday afternoon, but the league might want it on Sunday night to get maximum ratings exposure. The networks could brawl over this game.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1224 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 5, 2018 7:02 pm

NFL offseason schedule 2018

FEBRUARY

Feb. 5: Waiver system begins for 2018.
Feb. 13: Beginning at noon ET, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2017 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2018 season or who have an option for the 2018 season are not eligible to be signed.
Feb. 20: First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.
Feb. 27-March 5: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Ind.

MARCH

March 6: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.
March 12-14: Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 14.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2018 on all players who have option clauses in their 2017 contracts.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2017 contracts who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.
March 14: Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4 p.m. ET.
March 14: All 2017 player contracts will expire at 4 p.m. ET.
March 14: The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4 p.m. ET. The first day of the 2018 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on March 14. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period.
March 14: Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4 p.m. ET and 11:59:59 p.m. ET on March 14.
March 14: Trading period for 2018 begins at 4 p.m. ET after expiration of all 2017 contracts.
March 25-28: Annual league meeting, Orlando, Fla.

APRIL

April 2: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2017 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.
April 16: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
April 20: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
April 26-28: 2018 NFL Draft, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas.

MAY

May 4-7: Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
May 8: Deadline for prior club to send “May 8 Tender” to its unsigned unrestricted free agents. If the player has not signed a player contract with a club by July 23 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a player contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4 p.m. ET, only with his prior club.
May 11-14: Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
May 14: Rookie football development programs begin.
May 17-20: NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited rookies (typically, first and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days and minicamps during this period.
May 21-23: Spring league meeting, Atlanta, Ga.

JUNE

June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned restricted free agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.
June 2: For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2019 league year.
June 15: Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Late June: Rookie transition program to be held at individual clubs. Attendance is mandatory for all rookies.

JULY

July 16: At 4 p.m. ET, deadline for any club that designated a franchise player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2018 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.
Mid-July: Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players. Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later. Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players. A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.
July 23*: Signing period ends for unrestricted free agents to whom a “May 8 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4 p.m. ET on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights. (*Or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.)
July 23: Signing period ends for transition players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4 p.m. ET on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

AUGUST

Aug. 2: Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio.
Aug. 2-5: Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton, Ohio.
Aug. 7: Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
Aug. 7: If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2018 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the draft in the 2019 league year.

SEPTEMBER

Sept.1: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the active/inactive list.
Sept. 1: Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of active/physically unable to perform or active/non-football injury or illness must select one of the following options: place player on reserve/physically unable to perform or reserve/non-football injury or illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the active list.
Sept. 2: Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at noon ET.
Sept. 2: Upon receipt of the personnel notice at approximately 1 p.m. ET, clubs may establish a practice squad of 10 players. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above personnel notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
Sept. 6: At 12 a.m. ET, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL clubs.
Sept. 6, 9-10: Regular season opens.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#1225 » by wichmae » Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:39 pm

We should also know what comp picks we'll get in the next 2 weeks.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1226 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:35 pm

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1227 » by Mags FTW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#1228 » by Mags FTW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 am

wichmae wrote:We should also know what comp picks we'll get in the next 2 weeks.

Everything I’ve seen says a 3rd and three 5ths.

https://overthecap.com/projecting-2018-compensatory-picks/
TJ_Ford_11
Rookie
And1: 907

Post#1229 » by TJ_Ford_11 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 am

Mags FTW wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m confused why the Packers don’t play Jones more. Not sure what I am missing.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Mags FTW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 am

TJ_Ford_11 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
Read on Twitter

Because of his mediocre 5.5 YPC.

/s

I saw a tweet after either the Dallas or Saints game that questioned the team’s ability to evaluate it’s own talent. Basically asking how the hell he started the season 3rd on the depth chart.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#1231 » by rilamann » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 am

Mags FTW wrote:
TJ_Ford_11 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
Read on Twitter

/s

I saw a tweet after either the Dallas or Saints game that questioned the team’s ability to evaluate it’s own talent. Basically asking how the hell he started the season 3rd on the depth chart.

The Packer's front office, particularly Mike McCarthy is incompetence personified.

Never mind Jones, how do you waive Taysom Hill and start Brett Hundley at QB in 10 games.

Even if you think McCarthy is a good NFL head coach (LMAO), he should be fired for the simple fact that he emphatically declared a QB as horrendous as Hundley his guy, then started him 10 times.

LMAO Mike McCarthy.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#1232 » by trwi7 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 am

Jamaal Williams will be the starter next year because MM likes him some good 'ole smash mouth footbaw.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#1233 » by rilamann » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:16 am

trwi7 wrote:Jamaal Williams will be the starter next year because MM likes him some good 'ole smash mouth footbaw.

Ty will return as the starter and Jones will be our #3 back, despite averaging more YPC than Ty and Williams combined.....lol.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#1234 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am

Mags FTW wrote:
TJ_Ford_11 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
Read on Twitter

/s

This goes back to Bishop not getting on the field because he wasn't "assignment sure". I would guess "pass blocking" is Jones' hurdle.

The organization has a tendency to err towards conservatism.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1235 » by M-C-G » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Jones was down on the depth chart because of pass pro. Thought that was really obvious a strength of Williams and widely known by fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Mags FTW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:15 pm

M-C-G wrote:Jones was down on the depth chart because of pass pro. Thought that was really obvious a strength of Williams and widely known by fans.

As mentioned by others, this is why MM is getting stale. You have an explosive back with a high YPC, yet you bench him because he doesn’t fit your game plan. How about modifying your game plan to try and get him more snaps instead?

Same with the passing game. The routes are designed for the receivers to simply beat their man 1-on-1, yet we have the slowest WR group in the league.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1237 » by RRyder823 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Jones was down on the depth chart because of pass pro. Thought that was really obvious a strength of Williams and widely known by fans.

As mentioned by others, this is why MM is getting stale. You have an explosive back with a high YPC, yet you bench him because he doesn’t fit your game plan. How about modifying your game plan to try and get him more snaps instead?

Same with the passing game. The routes are designed for the receivers to simply beat their man 1-on-1, yet we have the slowest WR group in the league.

His YPC and his ability to pick up the blitz are two completely different things. And picking up the blitz is a pretty big freaking part of a backs job. It's the reason why most young backs get taken out on 3rd downs to begin with regardless of their yardage averages

In any case he was seeing more playing time due to his production then he got hurt, got in trouble and then Williams started making plays. He'll see the field more next season assuming he stays healthy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1238 » by El Duderino » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:52 pm

RRyder823 wrote:

His YPC and his ability to pick up the blitz are two completely different things. And picking up the blitz is a pretty big freaking part of a backs job. It's the reason why most young backs get taken out on 3rd downs to begin with regardless of their yardage averages

In any case he was seeing more playing time due to his production then he got hurt, got in trouble and then Williams started making plays. He'll see the field more next season assuming he stays healthy.

Yea, both deserve to play. Best duo of backs the team has had in awhile and each has a different skillset.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#1239 » by rilamann » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 am

Mags FTW wrote:

Bingo.

I've been saying for years that a Mike McCarthy coached team will never be as good as its talent and that's the main reason why. The guy is either too stubborn or he simply doesn't know how to adapt and play to the strengths of his personnel.

Mike McCarthy is going to run his predictable mediocre offense his way, regardless of whether or not it plays to the strengths of his roster. I still haven't figured out if he's stubborn, or just an idiot. Probably both.

Mike McCarthy will never be a head coach who gets the most out of his roster. If you have a 13-3 conference contending team on paper, you're probably going 10-6 and not winning a playoff game if McCarthy is your head coach.

And Jones' pass blocking was nowhere near bad enough to keep him off the field and at the bottom of the depth chart when you take into account how explosive of an offensive play maker Jones is. Especially on an offense that was shut out twice in one season.

I would love to see a stat that backs up keeping Jones and his 5.5 YPC off the field and at the bottom of the depth chart due of his lack of pass blocking, I watched every game this season and I didn't see it. Sure, Jones could improve his pass blocking, but I saw an offense that was significantly more explosive and productive with Jones on the field.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1240 » by M-C-G » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm

It’s amazing how every post seems to confirm one of your thoughts about Mac. It’s an unprecedented streak, almost beyond belief some might say.

Keep in mind Jones didn’t stay very healthy and Williams was one of the top graded pass pros RB in the draft. Factor in Hundley had a pension for breaking down under pressure and I am not sure this holds up as one of the best burn Mac at the stake arguments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Green Bay Packers