ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,399

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Gutekunst/MM's Pressers Page 64 

Post#1281 » by M-C-G » Mon Mar 5, 2018 5:42 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Packers should see what Dolphins would want for Jarvis Landry. I'd give up a mid-round pick for him.

I'd probably have to find the article, but I believe the advanced stat guys from PFF think Landry is the most overhyped product of volume ever.

I also think there are some locker room issues with him, so if it is straight up for Cobb, maybe otherwise really not interested in parting with anything for him. Sounded like they wanted Jordan Howard for him in a swap, no way I give up anything of that value.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,261

Post#1282 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 5, 2018 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1283 » by bizarro » Mon Mar 5, 2018 6:16 pm

Say what you want about Wilkerson's recent history in NY, but, it's rare the Packers have a shot at a guy with this much track record and this much upside. Would love to add him to the D-Line rotation. We need to take shots like this.

EDIT: Just pondering a D-Line w/ Daniels, Clark, and Wilkerson. DO IT.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#1284 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Mar 5, 2018 7:28 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

The mutual interest has me thinking that the reason he didn't play well was because he was unhappy with the coaching/front office in NY.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,261

Post#1285 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:04 pm

Read on Twitter
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,008

Post#1286 » by BUCKnation » Mon Mar 5, 2018 9:23 pm

I think Bakh also had a bit of a recruitment tweet when rumors first started for Wilkerson.
BJ Sandered
Starter
And1: 1,800

Post#1287 » by BJ Sandered » Tue Mar 6, 2018 12:18 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

People were calling this since Pettine was hired, so no surprise there. I hope we get a deal done. If he can play like he did a few years back then he's a great piece to have on the D-line.
Baddy Chuck wrote:Some heroes wear headbands instead of capes.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,089

Post#1288 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:15 am

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1289 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:11 am

Wonder if we could get Jimmy Graham.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,179

Post#1290 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:24 am

Aaron It Out wrote:Wonder if we could get Jimmy Graham.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Either he signs with the Patriots catches like 80/7 and gets a ring.

Or he signs with the Packers and tears his ACL in week 3.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#1291 » by Jollay » Tue Mar 6, 2018 11:45 am

All for masking weaknesses by fortifying areas of strength, but don't like Wilkerson unless the contract is very, very reasonable.

On an alleged contender with so many positional weaknesses and limited $, you need to "make do" with guys like Daniels, Clark and Lowry. Yes, I get how you rotate the DL more, but you do that with guys like Ricky Jean Francois and Quinton Dial.

Hey, all for it if it's reasonable. And gotta give Pettine some of his type of personnel. But very, very wary of this.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,639

Post#1292 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:26 pm

Being a partial Jets fan (Yeah, I know) I would love Wilkerson. He clearly hates playing for a bad team and that character means he could be a diva going forward but him on a winning team would be great. Wonder if he would do a 1-2 year prove it deal or if he wants something longer term. Either way, not sure what he would want. Sign Mo and a top CB, cut Cobb and maybe sign a guy like Watkins or Lee or even a guy like Amendola
#FreeChuckDiesel
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1293 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:18 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:Being a partial Jets fan (Yeah, I know) I would love Wilkerson. He clearly hates playing for a bad team and that character means he could be a diva going forward but him on a winning team would be great. Wonder if he would do a 1-2 year prove it deal or if he wants something longer term. Either way, not sure what he would want. Sign Mo and a top CB, cut Cobb and maybe sign a guy like Watkins or Lee or even a guy like Amendola

I was thinking same thing about a 1 year deal. Wilkersons agent may have feelers out and feel like the longer deals might be below what he wants so go play for his old coach for a season and if he balls out he can get a huge deal next spring. Good little bet on himself type move with a team that can win.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#1294 » by crkone » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#1295 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:29 pm

Wilkerson is 28 going on 29. I doubt that he risks playing on a 1-year deal when he's smack in the tail end of his physical prime. Could be his last big multi-year contract. It's why I'm simultaneously excited about the possibility but also pessimistic about opening the wallet for him at a position of strength.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,185

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Gutekunst Press Conference Page 64 

Post#1296 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:50 pm

rilamann wrote:
crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This ladies and Gents is why I have been trying to explain since like 2009 that Mike McCarthy is **** joke of an NFL head coach.

And the worst part about McCarthy's comment is that 90% of our moronic homeristic brat eating fan base will eat it up like the guy is Lombardi. Yeah!!! McCarthy is sick of it!!!

I think I also heard someone mention (on the radio) that McCarthy came out the other day said Huntley wasn't ready last season.

Then why did you proclaim him as your guy and start him 10 games???? Especially when you consider Rodgers would have played down the stretch and into the playoffs had we snuk in.

You can't make this stuff up, Jesus Christ.

He's the absolute f***ing worst. Has been for a looooooong time. This is like the 30th year in a row he's proclaimed we won't have a sh*t defense. And regarding Huntley, remember when he got all FatMac-defensive after reporters asked him about potentially bringing in Kapernick or another QB? In typical McCarthy-mouth-breather-faux-tough-guy fashion he was condescending for like the 100th time to a reporter just doing his job. Maybe we go "outside the quarterback room," win a couple games, Rodgers comes back to save the day, and the entire season looks different. Maybe not. But at least you didn't completely waste yet another year with a first ballot HOF QB.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1297 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:52 pm

The connection between new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson will give the Green Bay Packers an inside track on signing the former New York Jets veteran.

But a lot must happen for that to become a reality.

The Jets announced Feb. 28 that they had released Wilkerson, but with the NFL scouting combine in progress in Indianapolis, the Jets didn’t get around to officially letting him go until Monday.

Wilkerson became a free agent and can negotiate with anybody in the NFL. According to a source, the Packers have a mutual interest in Wilkerson and will throw their hat in the ring fairly quickly.

How far it goes will depend on several things, not the least of which is how much money the Packers would be willing to pay a guy whose last contract averaged $17.2 million a year. The Packers have about $20 million in cap room heading into the start of the football year March 14 and might be looking for a bargain.

Pettine was the defensive coordinator for the Jets in 2011 when the team selected Wilkerson with the 30th overall selection and pushed hard for the Jets to draft him, according to accounts from “Collision Low Crossers,” author Nicholas Dawidoff’s behind-the-scenes account of the season.

Now coach Mike McCarthy’s defensive coordinator, Pettine saw Wilkerson develop into an impact player in the defense he and coach Rex Ryan oversaw together from 2009-12. Wilkerson, 28, can play any position on the defensive line and would provide Pettine with both pass rush and experience in the system.

“He has a ton of ability but is an underachiever of late, especially since he got paid,” one NFC scout said. “I do think he can still play and perform; he just needs to play with more consistent effort and energy. He still has the physical tools.”

Naturally, the Packers are interested given their desire for more pass-rush help, but they won’t be the only team kicking the tires on Wilkerson. General manager Brian Gutekunst said he would be aggressive in pursuing free agents, but he also said that didn’t mean the Packers would pay a lot for free agents.

In this case, Gutekunst and McCarthy are going to want to meet with Wilkerson, who signed a five-year, $86 million deal in 2016, $37 million of which he has already collected.

The Jets released Wilkerson after two down seasons in which he dealt with leg, shoulder and toe injuries. In ’16, he was still recovering from a broken leg suffered late the previous season and managed just 4½ sacks. Last season, he was banged up and managed just 3½ sacks in 13 games.

Wilkerson also was held out of the start of several Jets games in ’15, ’16 and ’17 as punishment for being late to meetings,
something McCarthy would have a problem with given the number of young, impressionable players he has on the defensive line. It is undoubtedly something the McCarthy would have to address with Wilkerson and Pettine.

Wilkerson has told people he desperately wants to play for a winning organization, and he might have been worn down in New York. In his seven seasons, the Jets were 46-66 and didn't make the playoffs.

At his best, the 6-4, 315-pound Wilkerson was a pass-rushing force, collecting 10½ sacks in 2013 and 12 sacks in ’15. He accomplished it playing just about every position in the hybrid 3-4/4-3 Pettine employs, including nose tackle.

Wilkerson would join Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels as front-liners in a 3-4 or 4-3 look and could potentially provide a big shot in the arm to the Packers’ pass rush. It would be much harder to double-team Daniels and Clay Matthews or Nick Perry with Wilkerson rushing the passer.

Wilkerson seemed to get over his habit in college of taking plays off, but the Packers would have to study his film carefully to make that assessment.

In 2013, Wilkerson was voted team MVP by his teammates after playing more than 1,000 snaps and compiling 63 tackles, 10½ sacks, an interception and two forced fumbles. In ’14, he missed three games, but had 56 tackles, six sacks, five pass breakups and a forced fumble.

He was voted to the Pro Bowl after his 12-sack season in ’15.

The Jets cleared $11 million in salary-cap space by cutting Wilkerson. He carries a charge of $9 million in dead money.

Jets coach Todd Bowles had nothing bad to say about Wilkerson upon announcing the move, saying, “Obviously it didn’t work out, but I have a lot of love for Mo. I think he’s still got a lot of football ahead of him, and he’s got some good football ahead of him. I just wish him the best.”
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,077

Post#1298 » by Wisky4life » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:27 pm

I could see us maybe giving a 2-3 yr 18-20 mil offer for Wilkerson

But on the free agent market, I am sure he could command 12-15 mil a year to a team with cap room.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,292

Post#1299 » by humanrefutation » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:51 pm

Well, it looks like we're definitely moving on from Morgan Burnett. No talk of an extension and his focus is on FA. That'll be a hole to fill next year.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1300 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:57 pm

We rarely let guys get to FA that we want to keep. I'm ambivalent about Burnett. I'm fine letting him walk but I wonder what the plan is for the defensive backfield.

Return to Green Bay Packers