2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Jordy Out/Jimmy & Mo In 

Post#1941 » by Prickle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 am

TankWilson wrote:
Prickle wrote:Everyone has complained for so long about how the Packers haven't been players in free agency. They finally do it, and fans are like "Yeah, but not like that." Sorry, there is a price to pay when you play the FA game. Can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, there were times in years past where the Packers had an abundance of cap space, and wouldn't have needed to dump salary in order to make a move, and it was frustrating that TT was unwilling to even explore this. But that's not where we're at currently. It was very apparent that this team needed to address some areas of need with FA acquisitions this offseason, and that it would also come with consequences.

I hate to see Jordy go too, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the greater good. Let's be honest, Jordy is on the decline, and MUCH more is being made out of this only because he is a fan favorite. Why is he a fan favorite? Well....yes, he's been a great player, but he also fits the mold for what Wisconsinites typically root for: A white, hardworking, country farm boy who's made good for himself. I mean, the reaction I've seen on social media from the moms and grandmas of rural Wisconsin has been ridiculous, and downright embarrassing.

It's sad, I get it, and I'm right there with a lot of those who hope that he signs a new deal with the Pack. The difference is, I don't want him back because he's cute, or a good guy, or because I just bought his jersey for my daughter. I think he could still be a big part of this offense, but it has to be at the RIGHT PRICE. The team made a business move, and it was a good one as far as I'm concerned.

My only thing is and i'm not coming from a fan boy perspective is why not let cobb walk and shift nelson to the slot. Larry fitzgerald slowed down and made that move and he's been dynamite. Also Jordy has played there and crushed it. I'm not too heartbroken tho because I get cobb is the younger man, the more explosive man and the more experienced slot man. I think it was about 65-45 for me leaning to keep jordy. His uncanny connection with rodgers was a big reason to me too.

He may not be great anywhere else but due to that connection with Arod I feel like he'd come through with a lot of big plays. Also I wonder how important a slot receiver is now with graham. Why not cut cobb as well and sign a guy like john brown to be the burner on the outside opposite adams. That frees even more cap to improve that little thing called defense.

I can't answer that question. I agree that Jordy probably provides his highest value to the Packers (as opposed to any other team), if only because of his chemistry with Rodgers. That is something that can't be quantified, and is the only reason you could expect continued success from him, despite his age and regression.

As far as moving him to the slot? Who knows? Maybe it could work. My only argument would be that the Packers offense has greatly underutilized the slot position for quite awhile now, which is why I feel that Cobb's talents have been essentially wasted, and in turn, greatly under appreciated and undervalued by fans. Cobb has always had the talent to be a stud in the slot, but the offense has never really taken advantage of his skills, in my opinion.
TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#1942 » by TankWilson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am

Prickle wrote:
TankWilson wrote:
Prickle wrote:Everyone has complained for so long about how the Packers haven't been players in free agency. They finally do it, and fans are like "Yeah, but not like that." Sorry, there is a price to pay when you play the FA game. Can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, there were times in years past where the Packers had an abundance of cap space, and wouldn't have needed to dump salary in order to make a move, and it was frustrating that TT was unwilling to even explore this. But that's not where we're at currently. It was very apparent that this team needed to address some areas of need with FA acquisitions this offseason, and that it would also come with consequences.

I hate to see Jordy go too, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the greater good. Let's be honest, Jordy is on the decline, and MUCH more is being made out of this only because he is a fan favorite. Why is he a fan favorite? Well....yes, he's been a great player, but he also fits the mold for what Wisconsinites typically root for: A white, hardworking, country farm boy who's made good for himself. I mean, the reaction I've seen on social media from the moms and grandmas of rural Wisconsin has been ridiculous, and downright embarrassing.

It's sad, I get it, and I'm right there with a lot of those who hope that he signs a new deal with the Pack. The difference is, I don't want him back because he's cute, or a good guy, or because I just bought his jersey for my daughter. I think he could still be a big part of this offense, but it has to be at the RIGHT PRICE. The team made a business move, and it was a good one as far as I'm concerned.

My only thing is and i'm not coming from a fan boy perspective is why not let cobb walk and shift nelson to the slot. Larry fitzgerald slowed down and made that move and he's been dynamite. Also Jordy has played there and crushed it. I'm not too heartbroken tho because I get cobb is the younger man, the more explosive man and the more experienced slot man. I think it was about 65-45 for me leaning to keep jordy. His uncanny connection with rodgers was a big reason to me too.

He may not be great anywhere else but due to that connection with Arod I feel like he'd come through with a lot of big plays. Also I wonder how important a slot receiver is now with graham. Why not cut cobb as well and sign a guy like john brown to be the burner on the outside opposite adams. That frees even more cap to improve that little thing called defense.

I can't answer that question. I agree that Jordy probably provides his highest value to the Packers (as opposed to any other team), if only because of his chemistry with Rodgers. That is something that can't be quantified, and is the only reason you could expect continued success from him, despite his age and regression.

As far as moving him to the slot? Who knows? Maybe it could work. My only argument would be that the Packers offense has greatly underutilized the slot position for quite awhile now, which is why I feel that Cobb's talents have been essentially wasted, and in turn, greatly under appreciated and undervalued by fans. Cobb has always had the talent to be a stud in the slot, but the offense has never really taken advantage of his skills, in my opinion.

If we could utilize jimmy and cobb like the pats did with welker and gronk back in the day that would do wonders. Might be a good blue print to follow. Receiving skill wise I think that comp matches up decent enough.
TankWilson
Sophomore

Post#1943 » by TankWilson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am

Would it be worth cutting cobb and signing pryor to fill the jordy void outside. Slide monty into the slot, take money saved add for more D?? Pryor is a 4.3 guy at only 28 and big as hell. I'd like to think he could run by some guys or atleast out jump them. I wonder how cheap we could get him for. Looked bad last year but was interesting in CLE.
TankWilson
Sophomore

Post#1944 » by TankWilson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

Can we bring Julius peppers back for one last dance, hes old yes but he looked fresh last year. Guys a freak!
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,073

Post#1945 » by Wisky4life » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm

I think I would still either make Cobb take pay cut or cut him outright.

People to target potentially.

CB: Tre Boston, EJ Gaines, Rashaan Melvin
S: Kenny Vacarro,
LB: Navarro Bowman, Avery Williamson, Zach Brown
DT: Dontario Poe, Shelden Richardson, Beau Allen
G: Justin Pugh
TE: Ed Dickson
WR: Terrell Pryor

If the deals are cheap I would like us to sign.... TE Dickson, S Vacarro/Boston, LB Brown/WIliamson and maybe WR Pryor?

That would make us signing like 6 guys in free agency which is unheard of but makes drafting a little easier.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,146

Post#1946 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm

TankWilson wrote:

Right. I love the Graham and Mo Wilkerson signings. Love the fact that the Packers were active on the first day. Realize you have to pay to be a player on the first day. My only beef with yesterday is Jordy cut instead of Cobb. I understand this is the way the Packers do business, rather cut a guy a year too early than late, but its Super Bowl or bust until Rodgers is gone. Why take away his security blanket? Cobb's production/role in the offense is easier to replace, imo.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#1947 » by Jollay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Graham signing is a little much but I still take it and willing to bet production way exceeds someone like Perry at 12 a year.

Hey, it might blow up in our faces. There are risks. But at least we're taking risks. Don't fault TT one iota for trying with Bennett last year. And if it blows up not like we're particularly hamstrung.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,146

Post#1948 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Wisky4life wrote:I think I would still either make Cobb take pay cut or cut him outright.

People to target potentially.

CB: Tre Boston, EJ Gaines, Rashaan Melvin
S: Kenny Vacarro,
LB: Navarro Bowman, Avery Williamson, Zach Brown
DT: Dontario Poe, Shelden Richardson, Beau Allen
G: Justin Pugh
TE: Ed Dickson
WR: Terrell Pryor

If the deals are cheap I would like us to sign.... TE Dickson, S Vacarro/Boston, LB Brown/WIliamson and maybe WR Pryor?

Yeah, I hope they still cut Cobb to free up more money. I won't have nearly the same problem if they were always going to move on from both WR's.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#1949 » by LUKE23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Are there any cornerback meetings scheduled by GB?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#1950 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:38 pm

If they would have cut Cobb instead of Jordy, this off season would be gold. I think the struggle for people is coming to the realization that our evaluation process of the two players may not line up with the organization that gets to see these guys every day and we are still left here thinking we know m.ore because, hey, Larry Fitzgerald did it.

In reality this was probably a Gute, Big Mac and Philbin discussion on how they could best reshape the offense yet. Yeah, it sucks to not have number 87 out there, but if we just replace Jordy's name with "really overpaid soon to be 33 year old receiver who lost his wheels is cut, and a quality TE and DE were brought in" people would be pretty stoked.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1951 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Are there any cornerback meetings scheduled by GB?

Were there any meetings announced other than Mo?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1952 » by LUKE23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I think the Randall/Kizer trade was a poor move, personally. Would have cut Cobb over Nelson, and would have put more resources into signing a veteran corner (especially after the trade). I think they are gambling on a position you cannot gamble on in the NFL (corner).
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1953 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I think the Randall/Kizer trade was a poor move, personally. Would have cut Cobb over Nelson, and would have put more resources into signing a veteran corner (especially after the trade). I think they are gambling on a position you cannot gamble on in the NFL (corner).

Look, man. I literally spent the last 2 offseasons ripping Ted for basically riding the pile of garbage we had going into the season.

I think you are putting way too much credit into Randall. I wanted to keep him around for his vast potential the last few offseasons, but he's been not good for the most part. Even his nice stretch last year was not that great and he had several lucky bounces for picks to fall into his arms.

I understand that Randall kinda played NFL caliber corner 50% of his time here, but if we're relying solely on that, we're probably screwed. We'll either replace it or Demarious Randall probably wasn't the difference for us anyways.

I totally understand the idea. We need as many NFL corners as we can get. Like I said, I pretty much officially was done with TT the past 2 offseasons when he went into the season with Gunter as his #3, essentially. Let's let this thing play out. They saved $1-1.5 million trading Randall and it probably will be used in their final move of the offseason to get a corner.

A lot of the corners got a ton of money. I would have taken almost all of them, but it's possible that they couldn't get the top tier and now have a plan to fill it out with draft picks and a vet or two.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1954 » by LUKE23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:51 pm

I have no doubt we put significant draft resources into secondary, yet again. Just don't think fielding rookies, a second year guy, and then some UDFA is the recipe for a SB defense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#1955 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 pm

We don't need a star CB, we just need someone competent. Randall wasn't that.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1956 » by LUKE23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:We don't need a star CB, we just need someone competent. Randall wasn't that.

Well, I'd say we need two more starting caliber guys, and that's assuming no injuries. It's King and.........

Even if we run a true 3-4 this year with our DL, you're still putting 3+ corners on the field the majority of snaps. Several of our corners outside of King would be on practice squads on other teams. Just saying, we have a ton of work to do there. Maybe we get it done, but they left it a glaring hole heading into FA/draft.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - D. Randall Traded to Browns for DeShone Kizer (pg 68) 

Post#1957 » by wichmae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Cousins deal is only 3 years so they can restructure down the road rather easily if they need some space.

Cant restructure fully G'd money. They'd have to extend him and move that money to other years.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1958 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I have no doubt we put significant draft resources into secondary, yet again. Just don't think fielding rookies, a second year guy, and then some UDFA is the recipe for a SB defense.

Let's wait and see what they do and who we get. I just don't think Johnson was nearly as good as you believe he was and I don't think Butler was a difference maker.

I personally don't have a problem if we say invested in Ward, Jackson or Hughes early in the draft, resigned House or something similar and then threw some darts in the mid-late draft on guys like Meeks, Holton, Tolliver, Donte Jackson, Tony Brown and let a bunch of young guys battle it out with the young guys we have.

Just get Pettine the kind of guys he actually wants at the position.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1959 » by LUKE23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm

I think the young guys we have are pretty poor, so I think you have to supplement with at least a FA who would be a #2 DB on most teams outside of the draft. I mean Pipkins, Hawkins, Rollins, Goodson, Waters? How many of these guys are on other rosters even as 4/5 guys?
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#1960 » by mlloyd10 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I think the Randall/Kizer trade was a poor move, personally. Would have cut Cobb over Nelson, and would have put more resources into signing a veteran corner (especially after the trade). I think they are gambling on a position you cannot gamble on in the NFL (corner).

There are still plenty of guys out there - You only need elite CB's when your not getting pressure upfront. Now that we have three guys that can do that, you need OK corners.

Return to Green Bay Packers