ImageImage

ATL: The 2018 NFL Offseason - DeMarco Murray Retires (pg 86)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: ATL: Garoppolo Signs for 5/$137.5 million 

Post#1041 » by trwi7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Packer People is a legit thing and I'm glad about it.

Colt Lyerla = Packer People
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: RE: Re: ATL: Garoppolo Signs for 5/$137.5 million 

Post#1042 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

The pack had their share of guys get in trouble. Sometimes its unpredictable but other times there are signs and with fosters tallent it was pretty clear several teams had major concerns with him.

This is true but it seems like other than that douche Guion it's been awhile since they've held onto anyone with anything serious on their rap sheet, unless I'm forgetting someone

Jolly

Every team will have guys that step out of line but you gotta try and limit it and recognizing red flags is a part of it

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#1043 » by neiLz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 am

The garrapolo deal is crazy but the niners did a great job structuring it. The first year is a whopping 37 mil hit. But after the second year the niners can cut him and save 22 mil. They frontloaded the guarantee in case he busts. Gives them a ton of wiggle room in the future for restructuring or out right releasing.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1044 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah, sometimes red flags are just too much to overlook despite talent. Violence, guns and drugs, this guy is a triple threat.

Report: 49ers’ Reuben Foster arrested in domestic violence case
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 11, 2018, 7:14 PM EST

Getty Images
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster has reportedly been arrested in a domestic violence case.

Foster was booked at the Santa Clara County Jail and is currently being held without bail, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

The 23-year-old Foster is coming off a good rookie season and was expected to be one of the 49ers’ defensive building blocks. But he has a history of off-field issues, and this is the second time this offseason that he’s been arrested. He was previously arrested in Alabama for marijuana possession.

Last year Foster submitted a diluted urine sample at the Scouting Combine, which the NFL considers the same as a positive drug test, and he was sent home from the Combine because he had a run-in with a worker at an Indianapolis hospital while he was getting a medical evaluation.

The NFL will conduct its own investigation any time a player is accused of domestic violence. If Foster is found to have committed domestic violence, the typical punishment for a first offense is a six-game suspension.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1045 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

M-C-G wrote:Yeah, sometimes red flags are just too much to overlook despite talent. Violence, guns and drugs, this guy is a triple threat.

Getty Images
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster has reportedly been arrested in a domestic violence case.

Foster was booked at the Santa Clara County Jail and is currently being held without bail, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

The 23-year-old Foster is coming off a good rookie season and was expected to be one of the 49ers’ defensive building blocks. But he has a history of off-field issues, and this is the second time this offseason that he’s been arrested. He was previously arrested in Alabama for marijuana possession.

Last year Foster submitted a diluted urine sample at the Scouting Combine, which the NFL considers the same as a positive drug test, and he was sent home from the Combine because he had a run-in with a worker at an Indianapolis hospital while he was getting a medical evaluation.

The NFL will conduct its own investigation any time a player is accused of domestic violence. If Foster is found to have committed domestic violence, the typical punishment for a first offense is a six-game suspension.

I thought he was just had injury red flags. I didn't realize he had character red flags as well. Second offseason arrest, how many games does he lose? 4? 6?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1046 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Not that this excuses anything that he's allegedly done, but Reuben Foster had a terrible upbringing:

His dad was arrested on the day he signed with Alabama, after 16 years on the run. He was wanted for assault, shooting into an occupied dwelling, and escape.

Foster had escaped from the Randolph County jail in December 1996. The people he shot that year, according to police? His estranged wife, Inita Paige, and their 18-month-old son, whom she held in her arms—Reuben Foster.

I mean, WTF?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1047 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Yeah, sometimes red flags are just too much to overlook despite talent. Violence, guns and drugs, this guy is a triple threat.

Getty Images

I thought he was just had injury red flags. I didn't realize he had character red flags as well. Second offseason arrest, how many games does he lose? 4? 6?

Probably gets 6 for the domestic violence and then maybe more for the gun charge. Another possible 4 for the weed depending where he was in the program.

Honestly if the legal stuff looks real bad he might get cut.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#1048 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

Probably gets 6 for the domestic violence and then maybe more for the gun charge. Another possible 4 for the weed depending where he was in the program.

Rileman is awfully quite

yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ATL: Garoppolo Signs for 5/$137.5 million 

Post#1049 » by yellowknifer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 am

humanrefutation wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
I hear you, and yet I'm fairly certain that he would have signed for at least that much if he went onto the open market. Garoppolo is widely considered to be a really intriguing young talent - so much so that Belichick didn't want to trade him and was conceivably willing to cut bait with Brady in the near future to turn the franchise over to Jimmy G.

Couple that with the fact that it is exceedingly rare that top QB talent is available in free agency, and that he's young, and it makes sense that the Niners would splurge. There are an assortment of teams that would have backed up the brinks truck to lock him up.

I get that. It just seems absurd to me.

Like we gave Rodgers a new contract when we shipped put a HoFer but it was near league leading. Granted he wasn't about to hit the market in a few months but still.

That was ten years ago, though. The market is different now. Alex Smith just got $70M in guaranteed money, and he's older and less talented.

I mean, think of it from SF's perspective. They could low ball him, and he could leave for nothing after they traded a #2 for him. Then, they're stuck without a QB and have to consider whether to draft one and hope like hell that he'll be as good as Garoppolo is right now, let alone what he could be if he keeps developing.

They could tag him, paying him a big salary for one season. Maybe he crashes and you save money. But if he's good, he's going to command an even bigger contract extension then he just got paid. Or another tag for even more money. You're stuck in the same position Washington was with Cousins - an unenviable one which lead to the Smith trade and contract.

If they were convinced that Garoppolo was going to be a good QB - and there are plenty of signs that he will be - this was pretty much the safest option.

It's a ton of money for a relatively unproven commodity. I get that. But that is what the market dictated.

The Niners also have the cap space now to front load it and be players for talented free agents. They also wanted to send a message that they wont be low balling players so much anymore imo.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#1050 » by neiLz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1051 » by M-C-G » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

Rileman is awfully quite

Profound was the one burning down the building because we didn't draft him. Posters such as myself suggested Rubuen had too many injury and off field red flags, will have to go back to those threads and see the specifics of what he posted, but it was a lot of posts re: Foster
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1052 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 pm

The schedule strengths/weaknesses are so overblown, IMO. It doesn't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things because everyone in the division has an extremely similar schedule in the first place. And secondly, the league changes so much from one year to the next that a schedule that looks daunting before the season starts, could actually be a breeze.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#1053 » by Gianstoppable » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:

The schedule strengths/weaknesses are so overblown, IMO. It doesn't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things because everyone in the division has an extremely similar schedule in the first place. And secondly, the league changes so much from one year to the next that a schedule that looks daunting before the season starts, could actually be a breeze.

Quick glance looks like the Vikings have a harder schedule and thats the 1st team I looked at. That said, you are right. these are way too early projections. Free Agency is still a month away and we still have the draft. Lots can change
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,676

Post#1054 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Gauging strength of schedule in the NFL in February is the most pointless thing and means absolutely nothing. Hell, it means nothing even a week before the regular season given the annual variance and parity of the sport.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#1055 » by rilamann » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am

I predict Foster gets suspended half the season, and still makes more plays than King and Biegel combined....lol.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#1056 » by rilamann » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 am

trwi7 wrote:

Colt Lyerla = Packer People

And don't forget about Packer people like Ahmad Brooks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ahmad-brooks-charged-with-sexual-battery-ray-mcdonald-indicted/
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#1057 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:11 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
The pack had their share of guys get in trouble. Sometimes its unpredictable but other times there are signs and with fosters tallent it was pretty clear several teams had major concerns with him.

This is true but it seems like other than that douche Guion it's been awhile since they've held onto anyone with anything serious on their rap sheet, unless I'm forgetting someone

Jolly

Every team will have guys that step out of line but you gotta try and limit it and recognizing red flags is a part of it

Maybe I'm rationalizing but wasn't jolly a livable teammate with an addiction problem? On a scale of 1-10 of bad acts, I put that at like a 2 when comparing to wife beaters and guys with associations to murders.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Re: 2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1058 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 am

Some speculation that Cousins' first year could be $60M fully guaranteed, or even that his entire contract could be fully guaranteed.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: 2018 Off Season - Jerry Kramer Finally Gets Into The HOF (pg 61) 

Post#1059 » by chuckleslove » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 am

That's just crazy talk if true.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1060 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 am

Andrew Luck says he's feeling optimistic about his shoulder, and that the ship has sailed on more shoulder surgery.

I'd hate to be a Colts fan right now, wondering if his shoulder surgery was botched and whether he'll ever be back. I seem to recall they had similar issues with Peyton Manning's neck surgery, too, which ultimately ended his career there.

Return to Green Bay Packers