ImageImage

2018 Badger Football Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Re: 2018 Badger Football Thread 

Post#61 » by Mags FTW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm

midranger wrote:Nelson and Cichy made a mistake. Could have been part of a really special year and bumped their draft status.

I’m not going to fault anyone for leaving after having a significant injury. I would be scared of having another one and losing any shot at the pros.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,863

Post#62 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
midranger wrote:Nelson and Cichy made a mistake. Could have been part of a really special year and bumped their draft status.

I’m not going to fault anyone for leaving after having a significant injury. I would be scared of having another one and losing any shot at the pros.

Yeah, tbd on Cichy I guess but I don't see how Nelson made a mistake at all. There's nothing wrong with being a 4th round pick.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#63 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Cichy did very well to get drafted too, it's pretty hard to not play a snap of football for a season and a half and still get picked. I think they both made the right call.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#64 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Bryson Shaw decommits for Ohio State. Says personal family decision to be close to home although Columbus isn't particular close to Potomac, Maryland.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#65 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:05 am

trwi7 wrote:Bryson Shaw decommits for Ohio State. Says personal family decision to be close to home although Columbus isn't particular close to Potomac, Maryland.

Wish these kids had more balls and would just say they prefer a different school. Like Herro with his “prayer and reflection” nonsense.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#66 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Bryson Shaw decommits for Ohio State. Says personal family decision to be close to home although Columbus isn't particular close to Potomac, Maryland.

Wish these kids had more balls and would just say they prefer a different school. Like Herro with his “prayer and reflection” nonsense.

You can drive 6 hours to go to your kid's games and to have him visit on holidays. You probably do not want to drive 12 hours to games.

I'm sure other reasons played in, but it's not completely illogical.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#67 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:

Yeah, just be straight up about it. No need for the extra BS.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,942

Post#68 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 1, 2018 2:58 pm

Stewart Mandel's top 25 for the Athletic has Bucky #4

4. Wisconsin
The Badgers went 13-1 last season and have fewer question marks going into this one. QB Alex Hornibrook, RB Jonathan Taylor and the entire starting O-line return, as do Butkus Award finalist LB T.J. Edwards and playmaking safety D’Cota Dixon. The D-line must replace three starters, but ends Isaiahh Loudermilk and Garrett Rand asserted themselves as replacements this spring.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#69 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 1, 2018 3:57 pm

I said it a few posts ago, I think they're going to be good/great. I'm always an optimist on their process. I think that the lack of depth/youth at corner coupled with the tougher schedule could doom them to a 9-3/10-2 type of result with a lower tier NY6 bowl.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,930

Post#70 » by BUCKnation » Wed May 2, 2018 12:02 am

CB is really the only weak spot or question mark on paper and with the crap at QB in the B1G, it can be somewhat masked until the freshman get more experience. The LB, DL and TE spots, despite losing great players, always figure themselves out at UW.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#71 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 2, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah, while Obisah, James, etc. were all solid as hell on the DL, I am not worried at all about that. And I'm even bullish on the guys they have at CB in the future. I do just worry that even late in their freshman/RS freshman years that we see a 2016 B10 title game-type performance where they're just getting torched on jump balls from NFL-caliber WRs.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,942

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 3, 2018 4:10 pm

McShay has three Badger offensive lineman going in the first round next year.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,647

Post#73 » by MikeIsGood » Mon May 7, 2018 12:14 pm

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals250-wisconsin-qb-commit-graham-mertz-gives-the-latest

Update on Mertz. All sounds good...

“I've had a lot of interest from other schools but Wisconsin is still my number one,” Mertz said. “I love the guys there, Coach Budmayr and coach Chryst. It's a great spot for me. I'm very solid right now.

“Notre Dame, Texas A&M, LSU, and Clemson are just a few of my recent offers,” he said. “It's definitely flattering going from not starting a game last year to this. I'm pretty solid in my commitment. My thing in this whole process is being completely honest with Wisconsin and we've done a great job of that building our relationship

“We're working on a couple guys like Spencer Lytle and Bryce Benhart,” said Mertz. “We're also trying to get a few more athletes in this class.

...and then you get to this part...

I'm going to stop by Ohio State on Monday and check it out,” Mertz said. “We're here for an extra day because that's how our flights worked out so we figured we should go over there and check it out. The coaches are excited. They've been pushing for a visit for a few months. I've never been there before. They've got Dwayne Haskins
this year so it'll be interesting to see how that works out because he's a lot like me. We kind of have the same pocket presence and can both make the same throws so it'll be good to see how they use him."

:blank:
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#74 » by chuckleslove » Mon May 7, 2018 2:11 pm

An extra day because that's how the flights worked out. I've flown a lot in my life and I've only ever had an extra day somewhere when I wanted to. Especially flying domestically.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#75 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon May 7, 2018 2:21 pm

To be fair, he did this and visited Georgia after a different camp in Atlanta. But it's annoying as hell, for sure.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,647

Post#76 » by MikeIsGood » Mon May 7, 2018 2:33 pm

chuckleslove wrote:An extra day because that's how the flights worked out. I've flown a lot in my life and I've only ever had an extra day somewhere when I wanted to. Especially flying domestically.

Exactly. This is not a thing.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#77 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon May 7, 2018 2:36 pm

I've been both in the pessimistic camp because it's the Badgers recruiting a quarterback camp, while in the optimistic camp, because a lot of the tea leaves still point to him sticking with UW, but I wonder if he can see through the bull with Urban. Maybe he's that good and plays, but there's a chance that he's buried on Urban's depth chart forever and Urban is just trying to stash a rival's recruit.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,212

Post#78 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 7, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah the "it just happened to work out that I'd have time to visit OSU" is bull. If he doesn't change his mind to OSU soon I think we're in good shape.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#79 » by wichmae » Mon May 7, 2018 9:05 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah the "it just happened to work out that I'd have time to visit OSU" is bull. If he doesn't change his mind to OSU soon I think we're in good shape.

For a kid who has pro aspirations changing to tOSU makes little sense. Wisconsin has more NFL QB's than they do.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#80 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon May 7, 2018 9:28 pm

wichmae wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah the "it just happened to work out that I'd have time to visit OSU" is bull. If he doesn't change his mind to OSU soon I think we're in good shape.

For a kid who has pro aspirations changing to tOSU makes little sense. Wisconsin has more NFL QB's than they do.

Urb has had this strange ability and affinity for working with guys that don't throw a good ball but are 5-star college talents.

Barrett is just mediocre with wheels and arm. Braxton Miller did not have a great arm. Tebow was good enough to be drafted round 1 but obviously trash in the NFL. Leak was adequate across the board. He had Alex Smith at Utah.

I get what you're saying, but give Meyer someone that translates better to the NFL and he'd probably do just as good of a job.

If you wanna go way back, the only QBs making a dent right now from Urban or UW/Chryst are Wilson and Alex Smith.

Return to Green Bay Packers