Proposal: Carson Wentz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#1 » by OGLife » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:22 am

Would you guys entertain such a trade?
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#2 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:32 am

I mean. I like Carson Wentz. But Weltz? Nah.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,051

Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#3 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:32 am

No.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#4 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:36 am

I think you'd have to. Your QB play has a slight drop off but you can sign every defensive free agent you want and reload in the draft. That would set them up for another dozen or so years potentially.
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:42 am

jakecronus8 wrote:I think you'd have to. Your QB play has a slight drop off but you can sign every defensive free agent you want and reload in the draft. That would set them up for another dozen or so years potentially.

Wentz is coming off an ACL. Hopefully he'll come back healthy, but his mobility is going to take a hit in the short term.

I think Rodgers plays here for another 5 years, at least. I don't think two late first rounders is enough to compensate for the gap from Rodgers to Wentz.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#6 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:46 am

humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I think you'd have to. Your QB play has a slight drop off but you can sign every defensive free agent you want and reload in the draft. That would set them up for another dozen or so years potentially.

Wentz is coming off an ACL. Hopefully he'll come back healthy, but his mobility is going to take a hit in the short term.

I think Rodgers plays here for another 5 years, at least. I don't think two late first rounders is enough to compensate for the gap from Rodgers to Wentz.

San Francisco offers the same package with Garoppolo. Do you do it then?
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#7 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:50 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Oof. I'd have to think about it. You'd get a top 10 pick this year and probably a top 20 pick next year. On the flip side, Garoppolo is about to become a very rich QB, so you're not getting the same kind of cap savings.

I'd need to watch the tape on him.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Re: RE: Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#8 » by OGLife » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:05 am

humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Oof. I'd have to think about it. You'd get a top 10 pick this year and probably a top 20 pick next year. On the flip side, Garoppolo is about to become a very rich QB, so you're not getting the same kind of cap savings.

I don’t care of the stocks of the picks. I care more so of the qb we get in return. We could always find gold if we draft right. The drop off between the qbs won’t make it work
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#9 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:12 am

sshle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:San Francisco offers the same package with Garoppolo. Do you do it then?

I don’t care of the stocks of the picks. I care more so of the qb we get in return. We could always find gold if we draft right. The drop off between the qbs won’t make it work

I'm not convinced that a Carson Wentz coming off an ACL tear is better than Jimmy G. He looked really good down the stretch for the 49ers. A few too many picks for a bad 49ers team, but I think his trajectory is high.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#10 » by OGLife » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:29 am

humanrefutation wrote:
sshle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Oof. I'd have to think about it. You'd get a top 10 pick this year and probably a top 20 pick next year. On the flip side, Garoppolo is about to become a very rich QB, so you're not getting the same kind of cap savings.

I'm not convinced that a Carson Wentz coming off an ACL tear is better than Jimmy G. He looked really good down the stretch for the 49ers. A few too many picks for a bad 49ers team, but I think his trajectory is high.

Wentz is coming off a mvp season. I guess you’re worried Rodgers isn’t the same
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#11 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:35 am

sshle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
sshle wrote:I don’t care of the stocks of the picks. I care more so of the qb we get in return. We could always find gold if we draft right. The drop off between the qbs won’t make it work

Wentz is coming off a mvp season. I guess you’re worried Rodgers isn’t the same

Garoppolo is coming off a 5-0 run with 67% completion percentage as the starting QB for a vastly inferior 49ers offense. He also isn't recovering from a significant knee injury.

I'm not worried that Rodgers isn't the same. I'm worried that he'll get hurt again. I'm worried about his concussion history. I'm worried about the escalating costs of QBs. And I'm worried about the dive this team is likely to take after he retires.

It's not a simple decision. If Wentz didn't get hurt, I'd consider him more. If Garoppolo had more experience, I'd be able to measure his abilities better. But in either instance, those teams probably don't trade them (and two firsts) for Rodgers.

I think it's a good question.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Re: Proposal: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#12 » by Profound23 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:45 am

If we were getting Wentz and two picks from a team like the Browns, sure. Rodgers is worth more than Wentz and two late firsts.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Re: Proposal: Carson Weltz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#13 » by th87 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 4:36 am

I'll need to see another year of Wentz before valuing him correctly. He also plays under what seems to be a GOAT offensive mind. Will that translate to MM's rudimentary offense?

Jimmy G.? We have no idea if he's good. Remember Prescott was spectacular in year 1 as well.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Re: Proposal: Carson Wentz + 2018 & 2019 1st Round Picks For Aaron Rodgers 

Post#14 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm ashamed for Packer fans everywhere that anyone would even entertain this.
Carioca
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#15 » by Carioca » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:11 pm

The risks of trading another HOF QB are high and the organization would certainly take a huge PR hit, but the ability to completely reset the franchise for another long run would be really tempting. Rodgers age, injury history and potential contract demands would be the driving force.

But I wouldn't touch a trade for Carson Wentz and some late first rounders.

If you're going to do something like this, you go after the Cleveland Browns for a boatload of picks and Myles Garrett. A deal like that could set us up for another decade-long run. You could get one of the top QB prospects (Darnold) and rebuild the defense easily over the next two drafts with picks.

I don't think Murphy or Gutekunst have the balls do something like this, and I don't think McCarthy would have the stomach for it. But it certainly would add another interesting tweak to an offseason of surprising change.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#16 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 5, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't think that Murphy or Gutekunst would have the mush brains to do it because that might literally go down as the dumbest trade in the history of pro sports.
Carioca
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#17 » by Carioca » Mon Feb 5, 2018 4:54 pm

Overexaggerate much? If it was a godfather-type offer--and it would have to be--it would be far from the "dumbest" trade in the history of pro sports.

I love ARod, but he's going to get a contract that averages about $30 million+ per year for about five years, including at least a $100 million guaranteed in the first three years. For as much as you guys bitch about having to rely on rookies and second-year players, it's only going to get worse if you sign him to a market contract--and he's not taking anything less.

Plus, why would he even mention playing somewhere else during Super Bowl week? Maybe he's thinking about pulling a Cousins to get to free agency and the open market in two years? Maybe HE doesn't want to be in GB anymore.

It's never going to happen. But if Dorsey and Green Bay South call and offer the farm, you at least listen. Anybody else you just hang up the phone.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 5, 2018 5:23 pm

No, I'm not "exaggerating" when I say that gifting another team the best QB in the league and maybe a Top-5 QB ever in the middle of his prime would go down as maybe the dumbest trade ever. He's 34, not 40. You pay Aaron Rodgers whatever he wants because there's no price that he isn't worth in the modern NFL.

I get that this is RealGM and people love to get cute with assets and theoretical value, but there's no amount of draft picks that makes any mentally competent GM go "You know I think I'd prefer X number of high draft picks over the proven best player at the singular most important position in sports".
Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,151

Post#19 » by Willie Colon » Mon Feb 5, 2018 6:13 pm

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Wentz is the real deal. Plays very similar to prime ARod and nearly a decade younger.
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#20 » by sdn40 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 6:29 pm

Further proof xbox is the demise of humanity

Return to Green Bay Packers