ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - No Progress on Rodgers Extension (pg 60)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Clay Breaks Nose, Surgery Upcoming 

Post#1101 » by neiLz » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:23 pm

I don't mind the opt out. If he's still the best player in the NFL let him opt out. Then you negotiate with him again. Just go yearly. If he's still the best he's worth it. The front office should then take it year by year and make first year of said contract guaranteed. If he sucks they can cut him. If he's still goat renegotiate and make first year again guaranteed with remaining ng'd years. That's the old Michael Jordan contract back in the day.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#1102 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:34 pm

It's simple. This gets used as a negotiating tactic. If you give him the opt out then you don't give him the scaling cap percentage based salary he wants.

If you give him one he doesnt get the other. It's all just negotiating. Not a whole lot to get worked up over at this point

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1103 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jun 4, 2018 11:40 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:I don't mind the opt out. If he's still the best player in the NFL let him opt out. Then you negotiate with him again. Just go yearly. If he's still the best he's worth it. The front office should then take it year by year and make first year of said contract guaranteed. If he sucks they can cut him. If he's still goat renegotiate and make first year again guaranteed with remaining ng'd years. That's the old Michael Jordan contract back in the day.

There's a zero percent chance Rodgers agrees to that. He's not going year-to-year unless he has an option he can exercise.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#1104 » by neiLz » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:49 am

humanrefutation wrote:
ArodpwnsFavre wrote:I don't mind the opt out. If he's still the best player in the NFL let him opt out. Then you negotiate with him again. Just go yearly. If he's still the best he's worth it. The front office should then take it year by year and make first year of said contract guaranteed. If he sucks they can cut him. If he's still goat renegotiate and make first year again guaranteed with remaining ng'd years. That's the old Michael Jordan contract back in the day.

There's a zero percent chance Rodgers agrees to that. He's not going year-to-year unless he has an option he can exercise.

You give him a multi year deal but only make the first year guaranteed but give him an opt out the first year. This gives him the opt out he wants and the packers have an option as well since the future years are non guaranteed and they can cut.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1105 » by M-C-G » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:52 am

Give him what he wants and then tell him why we are going back to draft and develop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Clay Breaks Nose, Surgery Upcoming 

Post#1106 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:55 am

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

You give him a multi year deal but only make the first year guaranteed but give him an opt out the first year. This gives him the opt out he wants and the packers have an option as well since the future years are non guaranteed and they can cut.

Well, all NFL contracts are pretty much non-guaranteed. The only think that's guaranteed is the signing bonus. I don't think we've had a fully guaranteed contract of that size in the league.

But besides that, there's no way that Rodgers signs a deal that only guarantees one year of salary. That's not going to happen. He might consider a year-to-year with a player option, but no way he signs one that has a team option like that.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1107 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jun 5, 2018 3:05 am

Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#1108 » by Lippo » Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:59 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ArodpwnsFavre wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Well, all NFL contracts are pretty much non-guaranteed. The only think that's guaranteed is the signing bonus. I don't think we've had a fully guaranteed contract of that size in the league.

But besides that, there's no way that Rodgers signs a deal that only guarantees one year of salary. That's not going to happen. He might consider a year-to-year with a player option, but no way he signs one that has a team option like that.

He's under contract for 2 more years, then we can franchise him for 2 more, that keeps him til 39 years of age for less than 125m and nothing is guaranteed past a year incase a career ending shattered collarbone ala Romo, lets just do that.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#1109 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:28 pm

We drafted 3 WR's. I don't see signing Dez.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#1110 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We drafted 3 WR's. I don't see signing Dez.
I'm not for signing Dez but drafting 3 WRs, (2 of which were late round guys), should have very little to do with it.

I'd be mildly surprised for 2 of them to both make the final roster and be active on game day. Much less factoring them into whether we should bring in a guy or not

TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#1111 » by TankWilson » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:13 am

RRyder823 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:We drafted 3 WR's. I don't see signing Dez.
I'm not for signing Dez but drafting 3 WRs, (2 of which were late round guys), should have very little to do with it.

I'd be mildly surprised for 2 of them to both make the final roster and be active on game day. Much less factoring them into whether we should bring in a guy or not

It is a factor tho, they like all 3 and still like yancey decently. Coupled with dez's decline and character that boy ain't coming and I say good!
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#1112 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:24 am

Ran into Mike Daniels today, just like I did last year around this time, as he's in LA again for E3. He's super pumped about the defense. Says the young corners were picking off Aaron a lot in practice. Seems very optimistic about the season, just as I'm super optimistic he'll hook it up with tix to the Pack/Rams game in LA. 8-)
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1113 » by M-C-G » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Ran into Mike Daniels today, just like I did last year around this time, as he's in LA again for E3. He's super pumped about the defense. Says the young corners were picking off Aaron a lot in practice. Seems very optimistic about the season, just as I'm super optimistic he'll hook it up with tix to the Pack/Rams game in LA. 8-)

I think it was Mike Klements on the fan that said Biegel was looking fantastic getting to the QB in the two minute drills...can't recall if he used the word unstoppable or the offense couldn't stop him from getting there, or something along those lines.

Lots of reasons to be excited about the defense this year. On offense, might take some time for Rodgers to get comfortable throwing to any of these young guys, I'd suspect we'll see Adams, Cobb, Allison as our first three WR.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#1114 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Adhering to recent tradition, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy excused a group of veterans from this week’s three-day minicamp beginning Tuesday at Ray Nitschke Field. It marks the third straight year he has done so.
McCarthy told reporters Tuesday that 16 veterans, including quarterback Aaron Rodgers, are exempt from camp and start their summers early.

“Well, the format for this camp is similar to the last couple of years and we have a vet-select opportunity,” McCarthy said.

“Sixteen veterans that have been excused from the camp and that’s really twofold: They deserve it, where they are particularly in their career, and as we all know, the second part is there’s only so many reps that you can accomplish throughout the offseason.

“So really focused on the veterans there through the (organized team activities) and now the focus will … be exclusively for our young players. So this is a huge opportunity and it’s really the same message I gave the players this morning and last Thursday is we’ve got to take a jump as a football team. You see it every year, young guys start to figure it out.”

Besides Rodgers, the other 15 veterans who have the required experience (entering their sixth season or more) to skip the otherwise mandatory minicamp are receiver Randall Cobb, tight ends Jimmy Graham, Marcedes Lewis and Lance Kendricks, offensive linemen David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Lane Taylor and Byron Bell, defensive linemen Mike Daniels and Muhammad Wilkerson, linebackers Clay Matthews and Nick Perry, cornerbacks Tramon Williams and Davon House and kicker Mason Crosby.
McCarthy said he and his coaching staff work together to decide which veterans should be excused from minicamp each year.

“Each and every year we take a look at the roster,” McCarthy said. “But the other part of the focus, and really the focus for myself, is what goes on in these four practices for our young players.”

While the decision to excuse the veterans is nothing new, the decision remains an interesting one in an era when McCarthy and his staff lament the practice restrictions of the league’s collective bargaining agreement. The Packers’ coaches and players routinely discuss the importance of each rep given the scarcity of allotted practice time, and allowing the veterans to miss the mandatory minicamp could be viewed as increasing that strain.

McCarthy, though, doesn’t view it that way.

“Well, I think you’re looking at it from the other side of the spectrum,” McCarthy said. “We are maximizing the reps and tailoring them to the group that probably needs them more. So that’s the theory behind it. It works. We’ve seen the improvement just after evaluating our team and our players.

“There’s things that these young guys need, and the most important thing these guys need is they need team reps, they need the opportunity in the classroom to speak up. You’ve got to tailor the lesson plans to them. You always tailor to the youngest guy in the room, but it gives us an opportunity to really, really focus in on going back to the base instillations.”

» One Packers veteran who was on the practice field Tuesday was safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who did not participate in the OTAs for what McCarthy called a "personal" reason.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,943

Post#1115 » by BUCKnation » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Ran into Mike Daniels today, just like I did last year around this time, as he's in LA again for E3. He's super pumped about the defense. Says the young corners were picking off Aaron a lot in practice. Seems very optimistic about the season, just as I'm super optimistic he'll hook it up with tix to the Pack/Rams game in LA. 8-)

What if Rodgers sucks now? :reporter:
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#1116 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:47 pm

BUCKnation wrote:

What if Rodgers sucks now? :reporter:

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1117 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm

So whats up with the winston moss vs the media fued I'm seeing on pack twitter today?

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1118 » by crkone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:So whats up with the winston moss vs the media fued I'm seeing on pack twitter today?

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

He never gives straight answers and acts like he doesn't want to be there. He's just a complete douche up there.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1119 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Haha complaining about a new contract is laughable. Save for one season, dude has been the definition of "just a guy" out there. Wouldn't blink an eye if they let him walk.
Do it for Chuck
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#1120 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Haha complaining about a new contract is laughable. Save for one season, dude has been the definition of "just a guy" out there. Wouldn't blink an eye if they let him walk.

Yes, him posturing like he did much last year is pretty sad. He looked like a shell of himself. If he proves it in Pettine's system, then I will be all for extending him.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.

Return to Green Bay Packers