Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#181 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:01 pm

sdn40 wrote:I'm confident because I'm not making things up
In order to trade back into the third, near we were, it takes about 210 'points' per the value chart. Per the value chart it takes both 4ths and all 3 of our 5ths to accomplish 210 'points'

Why do we have to get near where we were to get back into the 3rd? We could go to pick 90 which would cost us our two 4ths value wise.

Like someone else said, we could trade down from our 2nd to pick up a 3rd. For example we could trade 45, 138 and 172 for 60 and 92.

Personally I don't really see the need to move back into the 3rd with the first pick in the 4th but there are several ways we could do it if we wanted to.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#182 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Ayt wrote:
sdn40 wrote:I'm fine with the Alexander pick.

Getting a first next year sucks. Just ask Ron Wolf. It's devalued a full round, so could end up being actually worth a late second.
Worse yet, we have to give up a 3rd this year. In case you are wondering 56 players will come off the board between our pick at 45 and our pick at 101. Totally unacceptable. Gute seems to like collecting garbage picks at the end of the draft just as much as TT. Good luck filling the numerous holes on the roster with late round picks.

And before you say we can just trade back into the 3rd, it would take all of our 4ths (2) and 5ths (3) to get us back to near our original pick and you have to find a team willing to fall for it. That leaves us with a 6th and (2) 7ths.

On the surface, it seems like a win, but I think the trades were horrible

What does that even mean?

When GM's make trades, any future picks are downgraded one full round (at least) in value. Call it interest for having to wait to use it. Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson have both made it clear they don't like trading for future picks very often. Other GM's as well
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,659

Post#183 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:04 pm

A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick. I don't know what weird analytic semantics people are getting into when they say otherwise. You wanna know who else blindly "trusts what the chart says" over divergent thinking and evolving logic?

trwi7
RealGM

Post#184 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Ayt wrote:
sdn40 wrote:I'm fine with the Alexander pick.

Getting a first next year sucks. Just ask Ron Wolf. It's devalued a full round, so could end up being actually worth a late second.
Worse yet, we have to give up a 3rd this year. In case you are wondering 56 players will come off the board between our pick at 45 and our pick at 101. Totally unacceptable. Gute seems to like collecting garbage picks at the end of the draft just as much as TT. Good luck filling the numerous holes on the roster with late round picks.

And before you say we can just trade back into the 3rd, it would take all of our 4ths (2) and 5ths (3) to get us back to near our original pick and you have to find a team willing to fall for it. That leaves us with a 6th and (2) 7ths.

On the surface, it seems like a win, but I think the trades were horrible

When GM's make trades, any future picks are downgraded one full round (at least) in value. Call it interest for having to wait to use it. Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson have both made it clear they don't like trading for future picks very often. Other GM's as well

This is so dumb.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#185 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick. I don't know what weird analytic semantics people are getting into when they say otherwise. You wanna know who else blindly "trusts what the chart says" over divergent thinking and evolving logic?

32 GMs ?
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,766

Post#186 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:11 pm

And for the record, I am guessing the trade value chart has no basis in math, economics, or reality. But it's what GM's use for the most part.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#187 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm

trwi7 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Ayt wrote:

This is so dumb.

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. Would you rather have a 2nd round pick tonight or a 2nd round pick next year ?
trwi7
RealGM

Post#188 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:13 pm

sdn40 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

This is so dumb.

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. Would you rather have a 2nd round pick tonight or a 2nd round pick next year ?

I'd rather have a 1st round pick next year, which is what we have.

GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#189 » by GBPackers47 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:13 pm

trwi7 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Ayt wrote:

This is so dumb.

We still had a first round pick this year though. The only way I can understand this logic is if we traded our first this year for a first next year straight up.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#190 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:14 pm

The Browns didn't actually use the 4th overall pick from the Texans last night. It's actually a 2nd round pick tonight.

sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#191 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Make fun of it all you want. You guys are the ones that had no clue about a trade value chart that all GM's have used for years. And they are the fools ?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#192 » by emunney » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Finn wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:If a chart or whatever is telling you that a 1st round pick is actually worth a 2nd because reasons, that's a really good indicator of huge flaws in logic. Enough that I would never take it seriously.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sure you're right. Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson are wrong

Still waiting for my explanation please.

It is true that in trades, future picks are worth less. I think where you're coming from is that their actual value is a lot more than what their trade value is, which is absolutely true. I'd trade a 2nd for a future first every damn year and you probably could find a taker every damn year, because football is still full of **** cavemen.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#193 » by Reddeye » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 pm

LittleRooster wrote:I see McGinn’s crotchety attitude has rubbed off

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dorsey (and Wolf) took Ward at 4 and he is under 6 ft
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#194 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:32 pm

sdn40 wrote:Make fun of it all you want. You guys are the ones that had no clue about the trade value chart that all GM's have used for years

Perhaps. It's still faulty logic. Twirlz drew this out for you previously: the value of the pick is a 1st round pick next year. That's 2 first round picks. Even if New Orleans wins the Super Bowl (which they most likely won't), the value is in our favor. Offering some type of arbitrarily defined decay or half-life on next year's 1st round pick because it isn't now is just plain a faulty system if that is indeed what they are using.

Let's put it another way: What if Aaron Rodgers suffered a Peyton Manning like neck injury this season? Hmmmmmm. I sure as hell would like 2 1st round picks - most likely the Packers being in the top half again. There are just so many reasons to like the trade.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#195 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 pm

emunney wrote:
Finn wrote:
sdn40 wrote:I'm sure you're right. Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson are wrong

Still waiting for my explanation please.

It is true that in trades, future picks are worth less. I think where you're coming from is that their actual value is a lot more than what their trade value is, which is absolutely true. I'd trade a 2nd for a future first every damn year and you probably could find a taker every damn year, because football is still full of **** cavemen.

Yes and no. Most GM's and head coaches have a 4 year deal. Waiting a year for the pick, and then waiting another year or two for the pick to reach his potential, is not something they are interested in for obvious reasons. New Orleans gave up a first, but got a guy they would never have gotten at their original pick, and have him for a full year before having to pay the price. One year is 25% of their contract time. Put a price on that
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#196 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:37 pm

bizarro wrote:
sdn40 wrote:Make fun of it all you want. You guys are the ones that had no clue about the trade value chart that all GM's have used for years

Perhaps. It's still faulty logic. Twirlz drew this out for you previously: the value of the pick is a 1st round pick next year. That's 2 first round picks. Even if New Orleans wins the Super Bowl (which they most likely won't), the value is in our favor. Offering some type of arbitrarily defined decay or half-life on next year's 1st round pick because it isn't now is just plain a faulty system if that is indeed what they are using.

Let's put it another way: What if Aaron Rodgers suffered a Peyton Manning like neck injury this season? Hmmmmmm. I sure as hell would like 2 1st round picks - most likely the Packers being in the top half again. There are just so many reasons to like the trade.

Fans can choose to view it any way they like. I'm just telling you how GM's and coaches, who have 4 year contracts view it. And for fans to strut around like they know what the Packers should do, but not know about the value chart, and then make fun of it when they do find out, as if it should be disregarded because of their own ignorance, is hilarious to me. And typical all at the same time
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,766

Post#197 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Gutekunst has a five year deal.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#198 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:44 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Gutekunst has a five year deal.

Hence the word 'most'
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Re: RE: Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#199 » by Aaron It Out » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:44 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:If a chart or whatever is telling you that a 1st round pick is actually worth a 2nd because reasons, that's a really good indicator of huge flaws in logic. Enough that I would never take it seriously.

I'm sure you're right. Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson are wrong
LOL. This literally made me spit out water. Thanks for that.

EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#200 » by emunney » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm

bizarro wrote:

I think you're going too far in this argument, though. It would certainly be better to have the pick this year. It's like buying a bond that you know is going to mature in a year with an insane yield. You'd rather have the insane yield now if possible, but still, that yield is insane.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Green Bay Packers