trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#241 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 am

DrWood wrote:
Ayt wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Because in a league where immediate results rule it's better to get that value now. It's not just the NFL. In any sport picks traded in future drafts inherently hold less value then picks in the current year when compared in a trade simply due to the fact that the value is kicked down the road.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

I'd like to see Gute take advantage of this broken logic every draft.

Great. I'd like you to give me $10,000, and I'll happily pay you back $10,000 in a year.

Umm, a 3rd and a 1st don't have the same value. A better analogy would be I'd like you to give me $7,500 and I'll happily pay you back $10,000 next year.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#242 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 am

DrWood wrote:
Ayt wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Because in a league where immediate results rule it's better to get that value now. It's not just the NFL. In any sport picks traded in future drafts inherently hold less value then picks in the current year when compared in a trade simply due to the fact that the value is kicked down the road.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Great. I'd like you to give me $10,000, and I'll happily pay you back $10,000 in a year.
That logic makes no sense.....

We still had a 1st round pick this year....

We did not trade a 1st this year for a 1st next year...

Does that make sense?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#243 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 am

Profound23 wrote:Look at the Saints draft history before this season:
2013-15
2014-20
2015-13
2016-12
2017-11

Last year, they caught lightening in a bottle. Atlanta had their Superbowl hangover and lost a lot of fluke close games, the Saints played out of their minds, and Tampa played the worst football they could possibly play. This pick can end up anywhere but using probability it ends up between 11 and 20.

Those were with Brees being healthy, imagine if Brees were to suffer a serious preseason injury and they had to roll with Taysom Hill or Tom Savage? In that division you are talking top 5 pick for sure, maybe #1. I am not counting on that (or wishing it), but you never know look at what happened to us.

I live in LA. When Brees got his big contract, it hamstrung the saints and they exacerbated it with some other bad decisions. It took them a while to right the ship, but barring significant injury or decline, they should still be very good next year.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#244 » by dbrodz7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:13 am

There is no time value of money with draft picks, this is a stupid ass argument. You cannot take a first round pick this year and invest it for a return over the year and get a better first round pick. A first round pick is a first round pick. You're just waiting a year for the player, there is no difference in the value of the potential player in my opinion.
Misery loves company
DrWood
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Packers 1st Round - Jaire Alexander 

Post#245 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:22 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Ayt wrote:

That logic makes no sense.....

We still had a 1st round pick this year....

We did not trade a 1st this year for a 1st next year...

Does that make sense?

I think you know it doesn't. The "currency" is draft pick value, as determined by the chart. The value the Packers ascribed to the N.O. 2019 pick is about the same as a mid-2nd round pick THIS season. I think that's an overvalue (It should be 8 slots lower or so).
You don't have to agree with me, but to think the packers were "big winners" absolutely boggles the mind.
In the context for the packers (Aaron Rodgers continuing excellence is a limited quantity going forward), I think it is IDIOTIC to defer receiving value to the future. That's what you should do when you know you won't be good for a few years or more.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#246 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:26 am

dbrodz7 wrote:There is no time value of money with draft picks, this is a stupid ass argument. You cannot take a first round pick this year and invest it for a return over the year and get a better first round pick. A first round pick is a first round pick. You're just waiting a year for the player, there is no difference in the value of the potential player in my opinion.

Your opinion would only be true if NFL picks are different than EVERY OTHER ITEM WHICH HAS VALUE.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#247 » by dbrodz7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:33 am

DrWood wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:There is no time value of money with draft picks, this is a stupid ass argument. You cannot take a first round pick this year and invest it for a return over the year and get a better first round pick. A first round pick is a first round pick. You're just waiting a year for the player, there is no difference in the value of the potential player in my opinion.

Your opinion would only be true if NFL picks are different than EVERY OTHER ITEM WHICH HAS VALUE.

You can sell other items that have monetary value. You can't do anything with a draft pick to increase it's value other than wait till the draft and use it.
Misery loves company
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#248 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:44 am

trwi7 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Ayt wrote:

Umm, a 3rd and a 1st don't have the same value. A better analogy would be I'd like you to give me $7,500 and I'll happily pay you back $10,000 next year.

Umm, you missed my point, which is that there is an opportunity cost for anything of value. Getting something now is more valuable than getting the same thing next year.

The Packers and the saints figured that a 2019 first round pick from N.O. was the same value as a mid-2nd-round pick in 2018. I think that is an overvalue, though I acknowledge we'll be sitting pretty sweet if Brees breaks a leg in preseason.

So, by their reckoning, it was a fair trade-- NOT that the Packers "won" the trade.

By my reckoning (that the value ascribed to the 2019 Saint's pick should be a 2nd round pick at the Saints current draft order), it was a bad trade.

But regardless of that, I think it's stupid to defer value now, when we will only have a limited number of Aaron Rodgers seasons.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#249 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:50 am

DrWood wrote:Getting something now is more valuable than getting the same thing next year.

I...I just can't. WE ARE NOT GETTING THE SAME THING. WE ARE GETTING A 1ST NEXT YEAR FOR A 3RD THIS YEAR.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#250 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 am

dbrodz7 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

You can sell other items that have monetary value. You can't do anything with a draft pick to increase it's value other than wait till the draft and use it.

Shares of the packers can be sold, and the value of future picks wold be part of that value.
But that's not essential, because you can ascribe a value to the quality of the team, and desire it to be run in a way that maximizes its value.Furthermore, your view is proven false by the behavior in every sports league in the draft era--a pick now is of more value than a pick in some future year.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#251 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:57 am

trwi7 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Getting something now is more valuable than getting the same thing next year.

I...I just can't. WE ARE NOT GETTING THE SAME THING. WE ARE GETTING A 1ST NEXT YEAR FOR A 3RD THIS YEAR.

But you know that's not true. There is also the value of dropping 4 slots.

You're not only arguing with me, you're arguing with the Packers and the Saints, whose deal set the value of the saint's 2019 pick as a mid-second round 2018 pick.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#252 » by tski1972 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:59 am

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#253 » by wichmae » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:30 pm

ESPN Analytics have the proper metric for pick values and adjusted values of future picks. YOure both kind of right. There is some diminished value in it being a future pick but that value aggregates positively every single day. Hard to justify its a full round anymore with how popular the specific move is becoming.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#254 » by BigDee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Solid pick
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#255 » by sdn40 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Forget I said anything about the Trade Value Chart. I made it up. It doesn't exist
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#256 » by Triple 7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 pm

sdn40 wrote:Forget I said anything about the Trade Value Chart. I made it up. It doesn't exist

A+
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#257 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:21 pm

wichmae wrote:ESPN Analytics have the proper metric for pick values and adjusted values of future picks. YOure both kind of right. There is some diminished value in it being a future pick but that value aggregates positively every single day. Hard to justify its a full round anymore with how popular the specific move is becoming.

Yes, future picks have less value than current year picks. Is that the correct way to measure value? Who knows. But that's how GMs treat future picks.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#258 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

DrWood wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

But you know that's not true. There is also the value of dropping 4 slots.

You're not only arguing with me, you're arguing with the Packers and the Saints, whose deal set the value of the saint's 2019 pick as a mid-second round 2018 pick.

And per the value chart, the packers still come out way ahead.
econniption
Rookie
And1: 1,123

Post#259 » by econniption » Tue May 1, 2018 12:16 am

I hope he plays well enough to stay with the Packers for a long time because he seems so likable. I think his attitude is gonna be great on the field and in DB room/locker room.

Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#260 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue May 1, 2018 12:24 am

If you want to fall in love with this kid, watch his 2016 film. It is ridiculous.

Highlights:

Against Clemson in particular:

Syracuse:
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.

Return to Green Bay Packers