Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Re: Round 6 - Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame 

Post#61 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I just realized that I watched a whole segment on Real Sports about this kid (and his family). They were being billed as the Ball family of the NFL. His two brothers are also talented. Their father and mother are both incredibly involved in their lives.

You can see a clip here:

Was linked on the page before. I don't see the Balls at all. I see a dad that is very involved, but I don't think that his kids learn to play the game the wrong way. I think that the amount of selfish you can be in football is very different than in basketball.

Ah, I didn't see it on the last page.

If you're an HBO subscriber, the whole segment is worth a look. It's amazing how much pressure their parents have placed on them. They only speak German with their mother. They've been multi-sport athletes since they were little kids. It's not unreasonable to say that they've been built in a lab. Though, I question how that kind of pseudo-militarized environment can prevent a kid from feeling, well, loved and valued for who they are.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#62 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 1, 2018 2:26 pm

Let's hope that he doesn't turn into another Todd Marinovich.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#63 » by IrishRainbow » Tue May 1, 2018 3:32 pm

I think it's wholly different in that Todd was a robot QB and Aquimini (I'll make it stick damn it) is a WR and subsequently dependent on others to extent(s) for success...plus WR has always been a position where personality quirks, if you will, are, if not just tolerated but, embraced. The added family scenario not withstanding isn't the same as say the Ball 'branding' agenda push.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using RealGM mobile app
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Re: RE: Re: Round 6 - Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame 

Post#64 » by emunney » Sat May 5, 2018 1:49 am

Balls2TheWalls wrote:McGinn:

NFC scout: “He has a ton of ability but I have a hard time hanging my hat on him. I can see him going as high as the second but to me he’s a later third or fourth round. He’s a height, weight, speed guy for sure. Tall, can run, good route runner, got ball skills. But he’s not very tough. He’s not very strong. He’s a good kid but he’s kind of strange. Little bit of a (Todd) Marinovich upbringing. His dad (John) groomed the kid. St. Brown’s dad is a former power lifter. Really involved with the kid. I like to see active fathers but the kid has some quirks that I think come from the dad. He refused to play special teams. He doesn’t stretch. He might end up butting heads a little bit with the weight coach. The kid’s not disrespectful. But if you draft the kid you’re getting the dad. He’s got upside, but I don’t think he should have come out.”

AFC scout: “I don’t really like him. His speed surprised the heck out of me. I estimated 4.65. He’s fourth or fifth round because he is big and he can catch. But he’s not quick. His dad sounds like the basketball Ball family. I guess he’s not as extreme as the Ball gang. He has height and hands. In 14 games he caught one touchdown pass. He wasn’t even the primary receiver there.”

NFC scout: “He needed to stay in school. Hell of a story the way his dad raised him and the intelligence but I didn’t think he was a very good player. Dad trained the kids and the mom (Miriam) taught them three to five different languages. Dad was Mr. Universe. All 4.0 students. Like genius kids. The dad put the St. in front of the name to make them stand out. As a player, he’s really just a guy.”

What is the AFC scout talking about with the one TD catch?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#65 » by emunney » Sat May 5, 2018 1:57 am

It's a good thing I'm not a scout because this dude looks like a stud to me. He must block like a total ****.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#66 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat May 5, 2018 4:41 pm

The 'he doesn't stretch' is the funniest line in the scouts breakdown.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Re: RE: Re: Round 6 - Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame 

Post#67 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sat May 5, 2018 8:48 pm

emunney wrote:What is the AFC scout talking about with the one TD catch?

No idea.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#68 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sat May 5, 2018 8:50 pm

emunney wrote:It's a good thing I'm not a scout because this dude looks like a stud to me. He must block like a total ****.

The knocks on him were that he didn't run super precise routes, he is rail thin, that he didn't play at his timed speed, and that he didn't have great production in his senior year. However, the QB change from Kizer to whatever his name is was a pretty major loss in thrower quality. His best highlight film is with Kizer.

In the 6th it is easy to take a bet on drafting him and saying that it is Notre Dame's fault for not using him well.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
emunney
RealGM

Post#69 » by emunney » Sun May 6, 2018 5:40 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The 'he doesn't stretch' is the funniest line in the scouts breakdown.

Not comparing them in any other way but this was a knock on Randy Moss forever.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#70 » by Aaron It Out » Sat May 12, 2018 10:54 am

Hopefully he's good enough to stick with at least the practice squad, so he can develop with Kizer and they can be the new Rodgers/Jordy after Rodgers retires in 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.

Return to Green Bay Packers