ImageImage

Bucky @ Cats - Horni OUT, Coan IN

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bucky @ Cats - Horni OUT, Coan IN 

Post#41 » by Bernman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Coan has to work on that throw just over the top of the linebackers. He keeps it on a line, instead of using touch. Missed a pretty easy TD there.

There it looked like he took something off it and it was completed in traffic to Pryor for the TD.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#42 » by Lippo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 pm

trwi7 wrote:Lippo sure can pick QB's.

Coan is nothing special but at least he's not Horni, I want Mertz to start as a true freshman. Horni would have thrown 2 pick 6s already.
Coans 1st start ...on the road against the big ten leader...vs Hornis 25th start is not fair either, Coan already show better arm strength and mobility and has only looked like Horni on the one laughable fumble.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#43 » by Bernman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:19 pm

They gave us none of those PI calls all day. Very hometown reffing.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#44 » by Wisky4life » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Paul Chryst = Mike McCarthy.

We are pretty bad, only caught parts of it. Next year can't come soon enough.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
ahagen87
Junior
And1: 4

Post#45 » by ahagen87 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Since Mertz is Jesus in the flesh when he struggles will people be calling for his back up?
ahagen87
Junior
And1: 4

Post#46 » by ahagen87 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I mean Mertz has stepped foot on campus but I swear we would be undefeated and win the championship if he was our QB
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#47 » by midranger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:28 pm

I wish I could say that I didn't see a boat race coming 3 weeks ago, but....
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#48 » by El Duderino » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Bernman wrote:Chryst kicks a 51 yard field goal on 4th and 5 at the end the 3rd quarter with the team down 14. He's insanely conservative in game management.

Not just that, on our drive after Baun got the interception. Chryst had the offense in the huddle and snapping the ball with under 10 seconds on the play clock. He's dome this before when scoring faster was needed.

For all of the problems on offense,the defense desperately needs some pass rushers. When Leonard doesn't blitz, pressure is non-exisistent.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#49 » by Bernman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:59 am

El Duderino wrote:
Bernman wrote:Chryst kicks a 51 yard field goal on 4th and 5 at the end the 3rd quarter with the team down 14. He's insanely conservative in game management.

Not just that, on our drive after Baun got the interception. Chryst had the offense in the huddle and snapping the ball with under 10 seconds on the play clock. He's dome this before when scoring faster was needed.

For all of the problems on offense,the defense desperately needs some pass rushers. When Leonard doesn't blitz, pressure is non-exisistent.

Yeah, tempo definitely needs to improve when down. They show little urgency.

There were times when Baun and AVG got pressure on the QB. I'd say pass rush was mediocre. And it was compounded by the delayed blitz because you're just going to reduce numbers in coverage while not harrying the QB until it's too late. Never understood that concept in football, or if that was even the intent. Blitz or don't blitz. Don't do some hybrid that's neither in practice.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#50 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 am

trwi7 wrote:I hope we're not accused of expecting too much from the Wisconsin Crimson Badgers.

Someday, maybe you’ll understand what I meant.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#51 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:13 am

Chryst is a fine coach but is definitely way too conservative and it’s showing now that he’s having his first down year.

Even in dominant past years, they’d struggle for a half against a bad/mediocre team and be down in the 2nd half. You’d be yelling at the TV to hurry up slightly so that you get more possessions as the superior team. Luckily for him, until BYU, his team would be insanely dominant in the 2nd half. We’ve seen a few this year where there is no urgency when they’re down/tied.

The 4th down decisions are brutal. I usually assume the best in people and hope someone talks to him in the offseason.

Defense is the concern next year. Didn’t reload as expected and lose even more. They could easily have some impact players pop up but that side of the ball needs to be great to get back to where we have been the past 5 years. They’ll be fine going forward, though.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#52 » by MAC1987 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Chryst is a fine coach but is definitely way too conservative and it’s showing now that he’s having his first down year.

Even in dominant past years, they’d struggle for a half against a bad/mediocre team and be down in the 2nd half. You’d be yelling at the TV to hurry up slightly so that you get more possessions as the superior team. Luckily for him, until BYU, his team would be insanely dominant in the 2nd half. We’ve seen a few this year where there is no urgency when they’re down/tied.

The 4th down decisions are brutal. I usually assume the best in people and hope someone talks to him in the offseason.

Defense is the concern next year. Didn’t reload as expected and lose even more. They could easily have some impact players pop up but that side of the ball needs to be great to get back to where we have been the past 5 years. They’ll be fine going forward, though.

I am a fan of Paul Chryst. I really am. But, I will say this over and over. Where is the creativity on offense? When you 'typically' have a great running game. Everything else becomes easier. Thus the Jet sweeps and miss direction plays will work.

I asked this in previous games. How many jet sweeps were ran during the game? I didn't watch the game.

Pryor 2 rush for 7 yards. Long of 15.
Davis III 1 rush for 19 yards.

That works. You can't over use it. But more than 1-3 times is a good idea especially with Coan.

Didn't know we fumbled 3 times. Thats a big deal. Balanced attack 32 rush 31 pass. Surprising but we were down so Chryst probably made him pass more down the stretch.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#53 » by Mags FTW » Thu Nov 1, 2018 12:26 am

MAC1987 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Chryst is a fine coach but is definitely way too conservative and it’s showing now that he’s having his first down year.

I am a fan of Paul Chryst. I really am. But, I will say this over and over. Where is the creativity on offense? When you 'typically' have a great running game. Everything else becomes easier. Thus the Jet sweeps and miss direction plays will work.

I asked this in previous games. How many jet sweeps were ran during the game? I didn't watch the game.

That works. You can't over use it. But more than 1-3 times is a good idea especially with Coan.

Didn't know we fumbled 3 times. Thats a big deal. Balanced attack 32 rush 31 pass. Surprising but we were down so Chryst probably made him pass more down the stretch.

I wish they would do more running out of 3-4 wide.

Get more DBs on the field so you have fewer LBs crashing the line to stop the run. Would also make pass plays less obvious.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#54 » by MAC1987 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 11:17 am

Mags FTW wrote:
MAC1987 wrote:

Get more DBs on the field so you have fewer LBs crashing the line to stop the run. Would also make pass plays less obvious.

Exactly. And when you do 3-4 WR sets I wonder if they would elect to keep LBs in? If that is the case you might have a miss-match. Thats what all sports is about miss-matches.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#55 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Nov 1, 2018 1:32 pm

MAC1987 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
MAC1987 wrote:

Exactly. And when you do 3-4 WR sets I wonder if they would elect to keep LBs in? If that is the case you might have a miss-match. Thats what all sports is about miss-matches.

I get this and they probably do need to be a bit more creative, but we're still at #4 in the nation in yards per attempt rushing the ball. I think S&P ranks them as the #2 rushing offense in the country.

As always, I'm the "Hornibrook isn't that bad" guy, but I think teams have figured out more and more how to challenge him to throw it deep, which has made his passing this year a bit worse (numbers are actually the same as 2017 but just a bit less effective).

Return to Green Bay Packers