ImageImage

Seattle Lead Up

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Re: Seattle Lead Up - Jordy Might Retire 

Post#21 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Not sure I believe the Jordy rumor yet. It came from a fan-minded site and the guy has since deleted his tweet and tweeted instead that it is his own speculation. Maybe that makes it even more likely it's insider info and he had his hand slapped. I dunno.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#22 » by Mags FTW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:04 pm

I don’t see Jordy as the kind of guy to just quit in the middle of the season. He’s making $200k+ per game the rest of the year, and potentially another $7+ mil next year if they keep him. To fight back from an ACL tear, earn that kind of contract, and then just throw it away doesn’t make sense.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#23 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Yeah I'm not seeing anything more on it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#24 » by trwi7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm

The guy who posted that Jordy is retiring is currently concocting a trade that sends Adam Dunn to the Brewers.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 am

Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#26 » by Dandridgefav » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 am

Thought this was an excellent article showing Gute's behind the scenes ability

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/12/packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-forcing-his-hand-in-personnel-and-its-paying-off/

The beauty of a chain of command is that sometimes it actually works.

After the Packers traded away Ty Montgomery and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, a few narratives took off.

The first asked whether or not the Packers would miss Clinton-Dix. The former Pro Bowl safety was one of the few experienced safeties on the team, and for all his faults, the coaches could at least count on him to be in the right spot.

The second narrative was one of exodus: finally unburdened of the running back triumvirate, Mike McCarthy would be forced to divide the running back reps between two players, not three.

In each scenario, it looks like Brian Gutekunst trusted his personnel – and its corresponding depth – more so than the coaching staff.
The Aaron Jones effect
The momentum had already been heading that direction, but even against the Rams McCarthy had been reticent to ride his second-year superstar, instead insisting on a drive-by-drive rotation which inadvertently strips away the concept of momentum.

With Ty Montgomery out of the picture, it was Aaron Jones’ time to take the bulk of the reps at running back. And did he ever: Jones carried the ball 15 times for 145 yards and two touchdowns, including a 67-scamper. He also corralled three of five targets for 27 yards.

Right guard Byron Bell summarized it plainly: “I played with DeAngelo Williams, I played with (Jonathan) Stewart, I played with Zeke (Ezekiel Elliot), I played with DeMarco Murray. Out of all those running backs, him and Zeke—no disrespect to none of the other guys because those are some great backs I played with, too—but him and Zeke Elliot are probably the two best backs I’ve ever seen with patience to just hit it, you know? Thirty-three is going to be a great back in this league for a long, long time.”

Jones is the real deal, and having a blue-chip workhorse in the final seven games will be key in righting the Packers’ ship.

Aaron Rodgers clearly isn’t right, and it’s difficult to figure out why. He’s missing passes he usually makes, and he’s not seeing the field as well he can. Despite a clean game again Sunday, Rodgers left a few too many plays on the field.

Life is easier with the offense operating with Aaron Jones, however. The margin for error for this unit when Rodgers isn’t clicking is too tiny, evidenced by weekly sloppy, inconsistent play.

A dangerous running threat solves a few problems. The first is that it forces defensive coordinators to make decisions. They can load the box and stop the run, but that implies they’re no longer afraid of Rodgers. Or, they keep the boxes light, make passing difficult, and let the Packers advance the football via the running game.

If and when Rodgers gets hot, coupled with a No. 1 receiver in Davante Adams, a vertical threat (but not one-dimensional) in Marquez Valdes-Scantling, a big-bodied security blanket in Jimmy Graham, and a homerun hitter in Aaron Jones, the Packers can make a lot of noise. They’re close.
Josh Jones quietly reaffirms Gutekunst’s decision

Safety Josh Jones didn’t do anything that said “look at me” on Sunday. But that’s good: after a tumultuous rookie season where he frequently struggled to stick on his assignments or to communicate traveling receivers, Jones has, in the past two weeks, done his job.

It’s no secret No. 27 is an athletic outlier: he’s built like a small linebacker but moves like a fast safety and has the straight-line speed of a corner.

In moving on from Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, the theory was that it could result in an “addition by subtraction” situation. Let’s do the math.

The Packers get a fourth-round, controlled pick from the Washington Redskins for a player whom the Packers had no interest in bringing back.

In return, the Packers get a faster free safety (Tramon Williams) and a more physical strong safety (Josh Jones) who also fills in the hybrid linebacker role Jermaine Whitehead once filled before Gutekunst cut him.

Yes, the level of competition and sample size should be taken into consideration, but the early results are encouraging: this Packers defense is making plays, they’re playing physical, they’re gang tackling, and the coverage is lightyears ahead of what it was last year.

On Sunday, Jones appeared physical and assignment sound. He was engaged and did not appear to have any misreads, or if he did none that were fatal. If Jones truly has been struggling to conquer the playbook and the cognitive nuances built into said playbook, then kudos to Mike Pettine for establishing a game plan to maximize Jones’ talents. As a former teacher himself, Pettine surely knows how to both motivate and to scaffold his assignments.

It took Morgan Burnett several years before he mastered Capers’ playbook, but it’s incumbent upon the coaching staff to get some juice out of a contract before it reaches it’s latter stages where tough decisions with long-term ramifications need to be made.

It is worth wondering if having Tramon Williams direct traffic on the back end has helped Jones and, in general, the defense. Clinton-Dix wore the communication helmet one game before he was forced to relinquish the duty to Blake Martinez. The degree to which Clinton-Dix could direct traffic on the back end apart from his own responsibilities is unknown – and something we never on which we’ll receive a direct answer – but Clinton-Dix’s absence and its affect on the defense will be worth tracking through the final seven games.

Though the release of Whitehead was and is somewhat quizzical, Gutekunst needed to move on from Clinton-Dix and Montgomery because, for whatever reason, the coaching staff would not. In his first full season, the new Packers’ GM seems to have an excellent grip on what this roster is and what it is not. He’s not afraid to force the coaching staff’s hand, and so far his conviction is working.

Thompson, McCarthy and his coaching staff are poor at evaluating talent, understanding a players best position as painfully evidenced by Hyde and Hayward
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,976

Post#27 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Watching the game on Sunday reminded me of the scene in Moneyball, where Art Howe kept playing Giambi until Beane finally just trades his ass so the option to play him isn't there anymore.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#28 » by sdn40 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Watching the game on Sunday reminded me of the scene in Moneyball, where Art Howe kept playing Giambi until Beane finally just trades his ass so the option to play him isn't there anymore.

Actually, it was Pena that was traded so Howe was forced to play Hatteberg at first base. Giambi was traded for having fun after a loss.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#29 » by Outlander » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Howe was probably ultimately correct though as Pena had two seasons where he was top 10 in MVP voting with the Rays a few years later. Hatteberg is pretty much the definition of an average player.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Re: Seattle Lead Up 

Post#30 » by msiris » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Must treat this like a playoff game. Must win.
Ride the tank
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#32 » by Mags FTW » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:17 pm

A potent running game helps in the red zone? Who knew?!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,938

Post#34 » by stillgotgame » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:24 am

Dandridgefav wrote:Thought this was an excellent article showing Gute's behind the scenes ability

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/12/packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-forcing-his-hand-in-personnel-and-its-paying-off/

Though the release of Whitehead was and is somewhat quizzical, Gutekunst needed to move on from Clinton-Dix and Montgomery because, for whatever reason, the coaching staff would not. In his first full season, the new Packers’ GM seems to have an excellent grip on what this roster is and what it is not. He’s not afraid to force the coaching staff’s hand, and so far his conviction is working.

Thompson, McCarthy and his coaching staff are poor at evaluating talent, understanding a players best position as painfully evidenced by Hyde and Hayward

Did this reporter read my post from the Dolphins lead up? Or do we just happen to have exactly the same opinion?

Ignorant :rofl:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#35 » by RRyder823 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 am

Suprising stats of the day.... The Packers are tied for the league lead in total Sacks by the defense this season and outright leading the league in Sack percentage this season at 9.5%....

Just how the **** does that happen with our OLBS? Pettine deserves a medal

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#36 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 pm

RRyder823 wrote:Suprising stats of the day.... The Packers are tied for the league lead in total Sacks by the defense this season and outright leading the league in Sack percentage this season at 9.5%....

Part of that is skewed due to playing Allen and the Bills, and Osweiler and the Dolphins. We were able to get comfortable leads and the rushers did actually do a really good job by generating some 4th quarter sacks. But yes, Pettine has done a great job scheming blitzes (especially against the Rams & Patriots) and I think the CB's coverage ability this year has helped immensely too.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#37 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Suprising stats of the day.... The Packers are tied for the league lead in total Sacks by the defense this season and outright leading the league in Sack percentage this season at 9.5%....

Part of that is skewed due to playing Allen and the Bills, and Osweiler and the Dolphins. We were able to get comfortable leads and the rushers did actually do a really good job by generating some 4th quarter sacks. But yes, Pettine has done a great job scheming blitzes (especially against the Rams & Patriots) and I think the CB's coverage ability this year has helped immensely too.
Yeah but isn't that kind of the case for every team where they pad their sack stats when rushing with the lead?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#38 » by RRyder823 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:

Part of that is skewed due to playing Allen and the Bills, and Osweiler and the Dolphins.
We were able to get comfortable leads and the rushers did actually do a really good job by generating some 4th quarter sacks. But yes, Pettine has done a great job scheming blitzes (especially against the Rams & Patriots) and I think the CB's coverage ability this year has helped immensely too.

Literally every team is going to play a few games against some horrible QBs. Not sure how you can say that skews anything at this point in the year

Also your neglecting leading the league Sack Percentage which works directly against the idea that they were able to skew that in their favor by teeing off late in two games

Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#39 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

Yeah but isn't that kind of the case for every team where they pad their sack stats when rushing with the lead?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Yes, that's a good point. I think the point I was trying to make is that I think we could see those numbers even possibly go up if we actually can get out to bigger leads in the second half.

Pettine absolutely deserves a ton of credit this year -- which makes it even more frustrating that Capers wasn't canned several years ago, instead of just last season.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,224

Post#40 » by HKPackFan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:03 am

Pettine is awesome, and I love the way he mixes up his rushes and disguise blitzes too.

I love the corner blitzes while the lbs drop back, or a delayed blitz, or something that frees up Clark.

The plays are mixed up enough that guys occasionally get a free run at the qb and even if they don't get the sack, they force a bad throw.

Absolutely agree Pettine deserves a medal. Alexander does deserve creditnas well, they are leaving him on an island at times in those blitzes.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers