GT: Pack at Bears - Noon - Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: GT: Pack at Bears - Noon - Fox 

Post#141 » by El Duderino » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Do you guys see how Rivers, Brees, Brady, etc. are playing? Rodgers is gonna age fine.

Not if he keeps holding the ball forever.

Yea, they largely get the ball out quick and inside the pocket, with accuracy. It should alarm every Packer fan about the number of times this year which Rodgers has badly missed open receivers compared to previous seasons.

That doesn't have to mean Aaron can't bounce back and be better next year, hopefully under a good new coaching staff, but his accuracy problems this year are worrisome for a guy who just inked the biggest contract in NFL history.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#142 » by RRyder823 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 am

El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Do you guys see how Rivers, Brees, Brady, etc. are playing? Rodgers is gonna age fine.

Yea, they largely get the ball out quick and inside the pocket, with accuracy. It should alarm every Packer fan about the number of times this year which Rodgers has badly missed open receivers compared to previous seasons.

That doesn't have to mean Aaron can't bounce back and be better next year, hopefully under a good new coaching staff, but his accuracy problems this year are worrisome for a guy who just inked the biggest contract in NFL history.
It is worrisome but ive also never seen a QB lose accuracy due to age and attrition. Along with mobility they'll lose arm strength which doesnt allow them to drive the ball farther then 10 yards and/or balls float allowing defenders to close but accuracy doesnt really take a dive.

It's a mental thing right now so hopefully he bounces back under a new coach because we need him to play like MVP Rodgers to truly compete. (bad years do happen)

(And no that's not a Rila esque take on the roster as a whole but rather a simple reality that when your taking up as much of the cap as he is, and will be, you need that player to be MVP caliber for it not to become a hamstringing deal)

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#143 » by Outlander » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:Rodgers is not THE problem but he is definitely A problem this year. I brought up,the idea of selling high on him and think I would still explore the market this off season. Do not interpret this that he should be traded or that I would trade him for anything other than a great return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe they take a $46 million cap hit if they trade him. When you give a guy a $60 million signing bonus you pretty much can't trade him after year 1.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#144 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm

BallinBucks420 wrote:everyone freaking out about Rodgers is laughable..its not his best year obviously but he is going to be fine going forward...its been a tough year, but Graham has been bad, his backup TE is a non factor in Kendricks...3 rookie WRs who have looked lost at time...especially St. Brown...Cobb is below average and has been out...Coach fired...

If we cut the right guys next year we should have plenty of cap space...That combined with the draft capital and I'm super pumped about this offseason..Im happy we lost this one and we now have a legit chance to get in that top 8 to 7 range

This about sums up my reaction too. Yes, Rodgers has missed a lot of throws that he always has made in the past. I think he's right physically -- his arm strength is still really good. Look at the MVS overthrow, lol. I think a large part of his struggles is that he doesn't trust anything (or anyone) around him, with the exception of Adams. He's a guy who relies heavily on trust with his WR's/TE's, and he clearly doesn't have that with the rookie WR's and Graham. And for Graham, I can't really blame him on that since he's been a complete dud for the better part of this season.

People saying he's a game manager, or to trade him, I don't really get. Now if he's doing the same stuff with a new coach in a new system next year, then maybe I would be more reluctant to criticize him. But for now, I have kind of a 'whatever' attitude about this year. This just feels like 2008, where everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. Get a new coach, a new system, draft well, sign FA's, and let's see what happens next year.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#145 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Outlander wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Rodgers is not THE problem but he is definitely A problem this year. I brought up,the idea of selling high on him and think I would still explore the market this off season. Do not interpret this that he should be traded or that I would trade him for anything other than a great return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe they take a $46 million cap hit if they trade him. When you give a guy a $60 million signing bonus you pretty much can't trade him after year 1.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about when that money is due,that would be problematic.
Flash17
Junior
And1: 287

Post#146 » by Flash17 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:07 pm

El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

The team went away from a lot of what made their offense so successful in 2010/2011, I'm not qualified to place the finger on the "why," but I think anyone who has been around long enough to watch the roster/offense evolve (or in this case deteriorate) is seeing the same things. They used to motion so much to get favorable matchups in the all aspects of the play progression, so many quick outs, slants, effective picks, and quick double moves to create plays. All of that is mostly gone.

Now the creativity is Cobb or Adams in the backfield for a play once a game. I look forward to bringing in a coach who won't rely on Aaron saving a broken play or having to extend a play with his legs as a main component of the offense. It's been a long time since this offense has been at an advantage pre-snap, and it's part of the reason why 12 has pressed all season long, missing throws, not taking the short route in his progression, etc. Play calling has been really bad, and way too predictable. You guys remember the days when 3rd and 11 warranted a creative pass play for a first down? Now it's typically a route shorter than the line of gain, or a run.

12 covered up a lot of warts on this roster for the better part of a decade, as he ages and loses explosiveness and quickness outside of the pocket it will be even more crucial that they get playmakers on the outside - and a new offense. Philbin's comments last week after he was announced as the interim about the offense "being a good offense" really worried me in the event he sticks around as HC.

Oh hi, new poster, lol.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#147 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#148 » by MAC1987 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 pm

El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

I'm not alarmed.

Going back to the Bears game, there were 3 consecutive pass plays in the red zone where all the WRs just ran straight into the end zone. No one was open. Rodgers sort of had time but where should he throw the ball? This happens all to often and we expect Rodgers to be magical. This takes a toll on a players body and mind when it happens alot.

Rivers, Brees, Brady are able to get the ball out of there hands quickly because WRs/TEs/RBs are consistently getting schemed open AND is more than likely their FIRST option.

How do you think that feels to a player like Rodgers where the coach cannot scheme players open consistently? When was the last time we miss-matched a RB on a LB the way BB does in New England? Literally NEVER. Since it is NEVER, teams don't have to plan for it.

Rodgers is missing throws. But how frustrated would you be when you see James White, Cordarrelle Patterson, Sony Michel, Dion Lewis, Blount, (over the years) produce because the coach knows how and when to use them....
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#149 » by El Duderino » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:41 pm

MAC1987 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

I'm not alarmed.

Going back to the Bears game, there were 3 consecutive pass plays in the red zone where all the WRs just ran straight into the end zone. No one was open. Rodgers sort of had time but where should he throw the ball? This happens all to often and we expect Rodgers to be magical. This takes a toll on a players body and mind when it happens alot.

There were also at least four times where Rodgers had receivers clearly open downfield and the passes weren't just a little off target, the passes weren't even close to the receiver to catch. In the past, Rodgers never would have badly missed that many open receivers like that and yesterday wasn't the first time this happened where we watched him make multiple what the hell Aaron type of really inaccurate throws.

I'm not just going to blame the scheme when Rodgers is missing badly on throws that inferior quarterbacks would be able to complete. Much less a guy who just signed the biggest contract in NFL history.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#150 » by MAC1987 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm

El Duderino wrote:
MAC1987 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

I'm not alarmed.

There were also at least four times where Rodgers had receivers clearly open downfield and the passes weren't just a little off target, the passes weren't even close to the receiver to catch. In the past, Rodgers never would have badly missed that many open receivers like that and yesterday wasn't the first time this happened where we watched him make multiple what the hell Aaron type of really inaccurate throws.

I'm not just going to blame the scheme when Rodgers is missing badly on throws that inferior quarterbacks would be able to complete. Much less a guy who just signed the biggest contract in NFL history.

You didn't quote my entire post...re-read it. Completely missed the point.

Some are so hung up on this season. I am glad AROD sucked this year so I don't have to see MM on the sidelines ever again. I guarantee you every year since 2011 this board was calling out MM because of his crap play calling.

My point is after years and years of the same crap, AROD is bound to have a tough year. You don't think this affects his mind? He was caught on tape, during a game, saying "Thats a stupid fxxxxxx play call".

Here is the rest of my quote, again, i'm looking at this over the course of the last 6-7 years, not 1 game or 1 season with a coach that none of us want...

Rivers, Brees, Brady are able to get the ball out of there hands quickly because WRs/TEs/RBs are consistently getting schemed open AND is more than likely their FIRST option.

How do you think that feels to a player like Rodgers where the coach cannot scheme players open consistently? When was the last time we miss-matched a RB on a LB the way BB does in New England? Literally NEVER. Since it is NEVER, teams don't have to plan for it.

Rodgers is missing throws. But how frustrated would you be when you see James White, Cordarrelle Patterson, Sony Michel, Dion Lewis, Blount, (over the years) produce because the coach knows how and when to use them....

Return to Green Bay Packers