Packers Hire Matt LaFleur as Head Coach: Hackett OC

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,203

Re: Schefter: Packers Offer HC Job to LaFleur 

Post#121 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:21 am

JayMKE wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't believe it for a second, but if I'm MCDaniels and I didn't get the job I wanted it would be the kind of thing I'd put out there to save face.

Why? Seems like a very Packers thing to do.
I'm assuming you mean "Packers thing to do" as an insult?

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,700

Post#122 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:27 am

RRyder823 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't believe it for a second, but if I'm MCDaniels and I didn't get the job I wanted it would be the kind of thing I'd put out there to save face.

Why? Seems like a very Packers thing to do.
I'm assuming you mean "Packers thing to do" as an insult?

keeping a coach beyond their expiration date out of some misplaced loyalty, something the packers would never do
FREE GIANNIS
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#123 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:37 am

I hate cowards that wont fess up despite the evidence being right in front of everybody's eyes

talking about OJ btw
FREE GIANNIS
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#124 » by sdn40 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:51 am

JayMKE wrote:I hate cowards that wont fess up despite the evidence being right in front of everybody's eyes

talking about OJ btw

I know how many points you get for a touchdown. I know what LeFleurs interview was. I know the plan he laid out. I know the power structure and what that entails. I know what the power structure was. I know the coach hires his staff.I know there is no proof of Zook being retained. I know the head coach does have something to do with wining a Super Bowl. You know -- all the basics. I haven't made up anything. Try it sometime
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#125 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:12 am

Can we just do this without the snark please? Am I allowed to be skeptical about the hire? Are we allowed to have different opinions? You seem to have something against Josh McDaniels, I really don't care about the folks he's burned in the past and thought he was the most qualified guy for the job as most people did. I'm not really sure why people take the Patriot and Colts stuff so personally, apparently that makes him a snake in the grass. Are we going to pretend like he wasn't the guy everybody expected and most wanted?

Lot of pressure for a first time head coach that's coming off calling plays in Tennessee for the first time ever, he ain't surviving a losing season with Rodgers. I think playoffs or bust is the standard we're holding ourselves to am I right? This is about winning championships, that's why I'm not so gung ho with the premium put on youth and inexperience in coaching. Rodgers is 35, now is not the time patience. Apparently a 'retread' is the worst thing you can be to some people tho, sorry Bill Belichick.

Apparently along with Pettine, LeFleur is also "expected" to keep Philbin on staff too according to the ESPN article... :noway:

All represented by the same agent, yay!
FREE GIANNIS
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#126 » by sdn40 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:23 am

JayMKE wrote:Can we just do this without the snark please? Am I allowed to be skeptical about the hire? Are we allowed to have different opinions? You seem to have something against Josh McDaniels, I really don't care about the folks he's burned in the past and thought he was the most qualified guy for the job as most people did. I'm not really sure why people take the Patriot and Colts stuff so personally, apparently that makes him a snake in the grass. Are we going to pretend like he wasn't the guy everybody expected and most wanted?

Lot of pressure for a first time head coach that's coming off calling plays in Tennessee for the first time ever, he ain't surviving a losing season with Rodgers. I think playoffs or bust is the standard we're holding ourselves to am I right? This is about winning championships, that's why I'm not so gung ho with the premium put on youth and inexperience in coaching. Rodgers is 35, now is not the time patience. Apparently a 'retread' is the worst thing you can be to some people tho, sorry Bill Belichick.

I do have a problem with McDaniels. All great head coaches in history have some very common traits. High character. Leaders of men. Morale standards. The list goes on. I can't think of one trait McDaniels has that would lead me to believe he will be a successful leader of men. That aside, I don't care if you love McDaniels. Just don't make up stuff that isn't true in a feeble effort to back it up.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#127 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:31 am

sdn40 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Can we just do this without the snark please? Am I allowed to be skeptical about the hire? Are we allowed to have different opinions? You seem to have something against Josh McDaniels, I really don't care about the folks he's burned in the past and thought he was the most qualified guy for the job as most people did. I'm not really sure why people take the Patriot and Colts stuff so personally, apparently that makes him a snake in the grass. Are we going to pretend like he wasn't the guy everybody expected and most wanted?

I do have a problem with McDaniels. All great head coaches in history have some very common traits. High character. Leaders of men. Morale standards. The list goes on. I can't think of one trait McDaniels has that would lead me to believe he will be a successful leader of men. That aside, I don't care if you love McDaniels. Just don't make up stuff that isn't true in a feeble effort to back it up.

Feeble effort? Dude, obviously YOU got a problem with McDaniels, it's not about being in love with anyone. I don't care! Most people don't either. His resume speaks for itself which is why he was the most coveted candidate. Those are just the facts.

What do you think about Belichick's character and where he ranks in great head coaches by the way?
FREE GIANNIS
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#128 » by sdn40 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:59 am

JayMKE wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Feeble effort? Dude, obviously YOU got a problem with McDaniels, it's not about being in love with anyone. I don't care! Most people don't either. His resume speaks for itself which is why he was the most coveted candidate. Those are just the facts.

What do you think about Belichick's character and where he ranks in great head coaches by the way?

There you go again. His resume includes a complete disaster in Denver where everyone from the coaches to the players to the janitor hated him. The latest entry to his resume was backing out of the Indy job where he left his collegues hanging out to dry. Most coveted ? By who ? Who is knocking down his door to hire him ? He wasn't even the second choice for the Green Bay job. Does that count as coveted ?
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#129 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:13 am

JayMKE wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Not for nothing but he obviously wasnt all that "coveted".

Not to mention his resume says "NE assistant coach". A mark that has only lead to failure for people with that on their resume (McDaniels included)

RRyder823
General Manager

Post#130 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:27 am

Also I will add this tidbit when it comes to just how coveted McDaniels is since apparently I started a **** storm by sharing what another poster with "possibly" insider info shared on another forum (I will give him credit he did start a thread on that forum Friday stating that if McDaniels was hired that we were going to be needing a new DC so it does line up a little bit)

While McDaniels obviously had interest in the Packers he also had a ton of interest in Cleveland. (The "tidbit" however) Is that Cleveland had/has little to zero interest in him.

Once again. I have no idea if hes legit. Some of this stuff could very easily just be educated guesses made by any intelligent poster. (One that was firmly on the McDaniels love train so it is fun reading some of his Rila esque posts right now). But if it is then McDaniels apparently wasnt all that coveted considering Cleveland and GB are the two most coveted openings right now and he got passed over for one and isnt even really being considered for the other

JayMKE
RealGM

Post#131 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:27 am

sdn40 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

There you go again. His resume includes a complete disaster in Denver where everyone from the coaches to the players to the janitor hated him. The latest entry to his resume was backing out of the Indy job where he left his collegues hanging out to dry. Most coveted ? By who ? Who is knocking down his door to hire him ? He wasn't even the second choice for the Green Bay job.

Go look at poll in the closed thread, who leads the poll? AFAIK he's turned down offers to interview with at least the Bengals, he's got a pretty sweet gig for the time being. The resume to me reads a lot like Belichick's fwiw, right down to backing out of a deal with the Jets. There is too much of a knee jerk recoil some of you folks have at 'retreads', it's not like the youngest guy to be a HC at the time couldn't have learned or matured in the last decade. You didn't answer what you thought about Belichick, I'm going to guess you're not a fan. 5 rings, speaks for itself.

Time to move on from that tho, we'll see what happens and expectations are high for LeFleur. I think it's a risky hire altho it doesn't seem like there is going to be much turnover at all if Philbin and Pettine both expected to stay so it's kind of the status quo at the same time.
FREE GIANNIS
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by sdn40 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:42 am

JayMKE wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Feeble effort? Dude, obviously YOU got a problem with McDaniels, it's not about being in love with anyone. I don't care! Most people don't either. His resume speaks for itself which is why he was the most coveted candidate. Those are just the facts.

There you go again. His resume includes a complete disaster in Denver where everyone from the coaches to the players to the janitor hated him. The latest entry to his resume was backing out of the Indy job where he left his collegues hanging out to dry. Most coveted ? By who ? Who is knocking down his door to hire him ? He wasn't even the second choice for the Green Bay job.

Go look at poll in the closed thread, who leads the poll? AFAIK he's turned down offers to interview with at least the Bengals, he's got a pretty sweet gig for the time being. The resume to me reads a lot like Belichick's fwiw, right down to backing out of a deal with the Jets. There is too much of a knee jerk recoil some of you folks have at 'retreads', it's not like the youngest guy to be a HC at the time couldn't have learned or matured in the last decade. You didn't answer what you thought about Belichick, I'm going to guess you're not a fan. 5 rings, speaks for itself.

Time to move on from that tho, we'll see what happens and expectations are high for LeFleur. I think it's a risky hire altho it doesn't seem like there is going to be much turnover at all if Philbin and Pettine both expected to stay so it's kind of the status quo at the same time.

Most coveted by fans ? LOL - Got me there. Most here didn't even know what a trade value chart was. You'll have to excuse me if I don't regard that as a valuable resource with regard to Head Coach qualifications expertise.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#133 » by JHSFIVE » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:29 pm

So, this LaFleur guy... what do people think? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OVERREACT
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,273

Post#134 » by dbrodz7 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:41 pm

I have to say after reading the dick swinging contest the last few pages, the one thing I'm confused about is that JayMKE completely dismisses LaFleur because he has one year of OC experience that wasn't very good in Tennessee, but gives McDaniels a complete pass that he was already a HC in Denver and wasn't very good.

McDaniels and LaFleur were 1A and 1B for me, so I'm optimistic about the hire. I don't think LaFleur's OC stint disqualifies him at all Mariota couldn't throw the football when he was healthy almost the entire season and Blaine f*cking Gabbert was the backup. I like the fact that Matt Ryan won MVP with LaFleur as his QB coach and that's basically the only time he's had an elite season.
Misery loves company
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,602

Post#135 » by tski1972 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:00 pm

JHSFIVE wrote:So, this LaFleur guy... what do people think? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think JayMKE likes the hire.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#136 » by crkone » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:06 pm

Why the hell would anyone believe what a candidate for a position says when the employer is trying to keep them as a candidate? "Crkone, you are our number one candidate. We have 11 other interviews to get to but for real you are number one! Please wait a few more days until we finish these other interviews and please don't interview for another position, kthxbai?"

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#137 » by Dandridgefav » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:11 pm

I am ecstatic! Aggressive hire! Good job Murphy! No safe retread. No over-the-top abrasive, arrogant personality. I like the words used to describe him - innovative, creative, humble, approachable, player's coach, no ego or pride that would stop him from admitting he doesn't know or from going up and asking a Defensive Coach about something he doesn't understand.

I also love that Pettine stays – he clearly showed impressive ability to adapt and extract the maximum performance from his players. However I am less sold on Philbin staying on. But Philbin & Pettine offer LaFleur 2 completely different personalities to work with and learn from. As for the players, Pettine’s fiery personality creates energy and can light them up as they admitted they needed after loosing a little accountability and their edge under Caper’s last years. And many players expressed their support for Philbin’s return. Both Coordinators also provide – what is rarely available to players of teams going through such change – is familiarity and continuity. Both also have the experience to handle the additional duties of a HC that LaFleur can pick up over the next 2 years while he focuses on building.

And it is the Change, the New, the Future that LaFleur is now charged with crafting and leading. There are many pieces to the success of the renewal but certainly his 2 most important and highest priorities are #1) birthing an innovative, exciting, scheme and play book that scores points and - #2) stimulates and inspires their HOF QB. If LaFleur brings the magic to get Rodger's mojo juiced smiling and having fun again - then the entire Franchise will be prepared to make the most of and enjoy the final phase of Rodger’s career which HAS TO include at least one more SuperBowl victory.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Post#138 » by stillgotgame » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:13 pm

Great hire!

I like the zone blocking scheme, and west coast play action off of it. Let's hope Rodgers has an Elway type of finish to his career. Broncos cut the Packers old defensive line to shreds in Super Bowl 32. Unfortunately I remember it like yesterday. We were huge favorites, unstoppable, and they cut us to no end. Hate the Terrell Davis salute. Loved the scheme though, it works.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,696

Post#139 » by th87 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:19 pm

sdn40 wrote:You guys need to get a clue. LeFleur laid out his plan which included being open to hiring Pettine. That's all we know. Saying otherwise just proves you ignore the facts and also have a visor agenda. Don't worry, it wont affect your xbox

Damn you got hostile in 2.6 seconds
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,371

Post#140 » by rilamann » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:21 pm

It's an intriguing hire. Not my first choice but I'd def put Lafleur in the category of giving him a chance before I say anything negative.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Green Bay Packers