2019 Packers Regular Season Thread - Dillon Elected to the HOF

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Re: 2019 Packers Regular Season Thread 

Post#41 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 7, 2019 6:41 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:And Clay is out for a month+. I'll take Smith and Smith at 27 and 26 over 33 year old Clay. Missing a few games is probably beneficial to Clay, he tends to wear down as the season progresses.

This and playing with Aaron Donald creates opportunities. We didn't have a transcendent player like him to create opportunities for the players. We were looking to bring in a player that emerged and became that player who could create free pressures for other players. Z is starting to look like one of the biggest steals of the entire offseason.

Yeah, Clay's looked better this year, but most of his sacks have come because he's had a free shot at the QB due to teams doubling/tripling Donald. I love Clay and I did want them to bring him back at a cheap price, but no question Gutekunst made the right move getting the Smiths'.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#42 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:01 pm

The only way I wanted Clay back would be if they finally just moved him to ILB, or basically, where he should have been playing the last 3-4 seasons. He lost that burst that made him an elite edge rusher years ago. We all know from watching Fackrell last year that just looking at raw sack numbers can be incredibly deceiving. Not really convinced that he's all that better just by a change of scenery.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#43 » by Wisky4life » Mon Oct 7, 2019 8:15 pm

Would you guys give a 1st and 4th for AJ Green from Cincy?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#44 » by crkone » Mon Oct 7, 2019 8:18 pm

Wisky4life wrote:Would you guys give a 1st and 4th for AJ Green from Cincy?

No way. Still injured and a FA next year.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#45 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:01 pm

Dear god no. A 4th alone is about as high as I'd go and even then it would hinge on whether or not he'd be healthy enough to play in the next 3 weeks.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#46 » by RRyder823 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:04 pm

No. And I love AJ Green

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,455

Post#47 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 7, 2019 10:50 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Re: 2019 Packers Regular Season Thread - 4 WR, QB, RB, LB in for tryouts 

Post#48 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:40 pm

Yeah, we already have enough undrafted receivers on our active roster. We don't need another one.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#49 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:35 pm

Tyree Jackson is the interesting name on that list.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#50 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:48 pm

We just put up 30+ points and 400+ yards of offense against a very good defense on the road. I think this notion that we need to go out and get a veteran WR is becoming vastly overstated.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,607

Post#51 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:We just put up 30+ points and 400+ yards of offense against a very good defense on the road. I think this notion that we need to go out and get a veteran WR is becoming vastly overstated.

Yet of the 400 yards, only 4 receptions came from WRs. I don't believe the sentiment to be overstated at all. Aaron Rodgers IS evolving to throw to running backs and tight ends. That does not mean that we shouldn't give him wide receiver weapons. Look at what the Patriots do for Brady.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#52 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:15 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:We just put up 30+ points and 400+ yards of offense against a very good defense on the road. I think this notion that we need to go out and get a veteran WR is becoming vastly overstated.

Yet of the 400 yards, only 4 receptions came from WRs. I don't believe the sentiment to be overstated at all. Aaron Rodgers IS evolving to throw to running backs and tight ends. That does not mean that we shouldn't give him wide receiver weapons. Look at what the Patriots do for Brady.

To be fair, it depends on the year with the Patriots. There are some years it's Edelman and some lacrosse players to go with Gronk and Sweet Feet.

But agree...we need something at WR, especially because we don't exactly have prime Gronk at TE.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#53 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:30 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:

I keep hearing this stat like it's supposed to mean something. The gameplan calling for running the ball and specifically targeting the underneath routes =/= the WR's weren't getting open. MVS was running free on at least two should-have-been 40+ yard TD's if not for an underthrow and a pressure up the middle that forced another one to get thrown away. The offense had absolutely no trouble moving the ball (and even should have had more big plays than they did) without its best skill position player, and all some people can think about is how they absolutely NEED to bring in a veteran wideout. I mean, nah. It's a luxury, not a need.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,192

Post#54 » by skones » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:42 pm

trwi7 wrote:Yeah, we already have enough undrafted receivers on our active roster. We don't need another one.

Jones and Grant have had stints in the league before. Grant in particular has been an ok slot guy in the past.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#55 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Balls2TheWalls wrote:

I keep hearing this stat like it's supposed to mean something. The gameplan calling for running the ball and specifically targeting the underneath routes =/= the WR's weren't getting open. MVS was running free on at least two should-have-been 40+ yard TD's if not for an underthrow and a pressure up the middle that forced another one to get thrown away. The offense had absolutely no trouble moving the ball (and even should have had more big plays than they did) without its best skill position player, and all some people can think about is how they absolutely NEED to bring in a veteran wideout. I mean, nah. It's a luxury, not a need.

At some point they could get exposed, especially since we have a single point of failure at RB in Jones...if he gets hurt now it's Adams and a bunch of mediocre options.

I agree that they can keep winning without another WR but that Vikings game was nearly a reason for it. Geronimo Allison, who I don't hate as a 4th WR, as your #2/#3 guy cost them 10 points with his lack of athleticism. There will be games where they need the WRs.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,455

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,607

Re: 2019 Packers Regular Season Thread - Pennel, others in for workouts 

Post#57 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:50 pm

Pennel would be a good mid-season get.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#58 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:47 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Just go out and get a "Howard Green" type acquisition. Just need a big body you can plug in on run downs and eat up blockers. Lancaster ain't cutting it, and we don't really have anybody else that fills that kind of role if Adams just can't stay healthy.

Mike Pennel, there ya go. He's a perfect guy to bring back. Has experience in Pettine's defense when he was with the Jets too.
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#59 » by Dandridgefav » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Anyone else think Rashan Gary should take at least a few snaps at ILB and see how he does? He's got plenty of size, more speed than most ILBs, has solid play vs run from interior DL that should translate to the 2nd level. His change of direction is good. And he has said while dropping in coverage is new he WANTS to do it and feels he can.

Gary would team with Burk who would do more of the pass defense anyway. Next season Pack can let Martinez walk for the large salary he'll want for being top tackler.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#60 » by RRyder823 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:Anyone else think Rashan Gary should take at least a few snaps at ILB and see how he does? He's got plenty of size, more speed than most ILBs, has solid play vs run from interior DL that should translate to the 2nd level. His change of direction is good. And he has said while dropping in coverage is new he WANTS to do it and feels he can.

Gary would team with Burk who would do more of the pass defense anyway. Next season Pack can let Martinez walk for the large salary he'll want for being top tackler.
No

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Green Bay Packers