ImageImage

Denver Lead Up - Lane Taylor to IR

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: Denver Lead Up - Davis to Oakland for a 6th 

Post#61 » by DrWood » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:02 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Pretty remarkable how good we've been in recent years at flipping these fringe roster guys that never pan out for decent draft picks.

He was a 5th round pick and we traded him for a future 6th round pick. that's not exactly increasing value, but it's better than just cutting him.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#62 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 am

DrWood wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Pretty remarkable how good we've been in recent years at flipping these fringe roster guys that never pan out for decent draft picks.

He was a 5th round pick and we traded him for a future 6th round pick. that's not exactly increasing value, but it's better than just cutting him.

Isn't it kind of rare to get a better draft pick for a guy than the one you used on him? Obvious exception being Mack of course.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#63 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am

It is rare that you sit on a roster spot after making a move. I wonder if we have a follow up move.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#64 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

DrWood wrote:

He was a 5th round pick that failed as a WR, got some decent years from him as a returner and special teams player, then flipped him 3 years later for a future pick only one round further back in the draft. I'd say that's the definition of quality asset management. Most of these guys in the 5th-7th rounds never pan out past their rookie deals and you're just taking fliers anyways.
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#65 » by Dandridgefav » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:40 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Where is the guy that said they could get a 5th (or a 6th?) in the preseason thread. While I hadn’t posted on the matter and warmed up on Davis after the fact...you were right, bud.

lol dude was getting s*** on for it.

Thank you Gentlemen for remembering and the criticism doled out.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#66 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 pm

For whatever it's worth, I essentially have seen 0 minutes of preseason football in the last 3-4 years. When I saw Davis make a few catches on highlights, he looked like an actual WR, though he still is too much of a straight-line runner for his size. That said, you called it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#67 » by trwi7 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Never underestimate the incompetence of Gruden.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#68 » by LikeABosh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#69 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Where is the guy that said they could get a 5th (or a 6th?) in the preseason thread. While I hadn’t posted on the matter and warmed up on Davis after the fact...you were right, bud.

lol dude was getting s*** on for it.

Thank you Gentlemen for remembering and the criticism doled out.

Saying something nice about Trevor Davis on this forum is like asking to have tomatoes thrown at you.

As far as the pressure numbers, I am surprised that Kenny Clark isn't higher. He has been a complete menace.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#70 » by RRyder823 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:18 pm

www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard%3fplatform=amp

I'm calling bs on the Guard rankings (I would assume it's because simply continously getting pushed backwards on a play might still count as a win because the block probably is still considered sustained)

None the less these are interesting rankings based off win percentage

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#71 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:22 pm

RRyder823 wrote:www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard%3fplatform=amp

I'm calling bs on the Guard rankings but these are interesting rankings based off win percentage

I don't know how we could have something like 2 of the top pressure players in the league and have neither of them on this list. Also there is no way that the pass block numbers are right for Turner or Taylor. We have played 2 elite defenses with great pass rush, and neither of these guys looked good.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#72 » by RRyder823 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard%3fplatform=amp

I'm calling bs on the Guard rankings but these are interesting rankings based off win percentage

I don't know how we could have something like 2 of the top pressure players in the league and have neither of them on this list. Also there is no way that the pass block numbers are right for Turner or Taylor. We have played 2 elite defenses with great pass rush, and neither of these guys looked good.

It's based on win percentage on pass rushes so just the sheer number of plays could he dragging down the Smiths. (IE: They each could have 6 pressures a game but would still come in behind a guy with 2 pressures but only played 4 passing downs)

I added on my post for the Guards that since the O linemen get credit for sustaining the block on pass plays our Guards getting pushed backwards probably still counts as a win for them as the block is still sustained

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#73 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:01 pm

We're two games into the season so pretty much every single stat is gonna be in the small sample size theater. Think you can comfortably say the defense is very good, but we're not gonna know exactly how good until we start facing some better than bad-to-mediocre offenses.
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#74 » by LikeABosh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:We're two games into the season so pretty much every single stat is gonna be in the small sample size theater. Think you can comfortably say the defense is very good, but we're not gonna know exactly how good until we start facing some better than bad-to-mediocre offenses.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how we do against a good OL. Our OLB's are generating 3 times as many pressures as last year's group. Seems believable since Perry and Clay were terrible, but also sounds inflated. Cowboys and Eagles should be a good test
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#75 » by Balls2TheWalls » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:24 am

LikeABosh wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:We're two games into the season so pretty much every single stat is gonna be in the small sample size theater. Think you can comfortably say the defense is very good, but we're not gonna know exactly how good until we start facing some better than bad-to-mediocre offenses.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how we do against a good OL. Our OLB's are generating 3 times as many pressures as last year's group. Seems believable since Perry and Clay were terrible, but also sounds inflated. Cowboys and Eagles should be a good test

Our old OLBs played those same teams twice a year.
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#76 » by LikeABosh » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

Our old OLBs played those same teams twice a year.

Right, but they're not the only teams they played. That's my point. Going from 80 pressures to 240 pressures in a season is a lot. I don't know how much that pace will drop once we face better teams
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#77 » by DrWood » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:43 am

Ron Swanson wrote:
DrWood wrote:

He was a 5th round pick that failed as a WR, got some decent years from him as a returner and special teams player, then flipped him 3 years later for a future pick only one round further back in the draft. I'd say that's the definition of quality asset management. Most of these guys in the 5th-7th rounds never pan out past their rookie deals and you're just taking fliers anyways.

more like the definition of cutting bait. I said it's better than cutting him, but to think this represents the epitome of asset management is odd. it's churning the bottom of your asset pool.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#78 » by jimmybones » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 am

DrWood wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
DrWood wrote:He was a 5th round pick and we traded him for a future 6th round pick. that's not exactly increasing value, but it's better than just cutting him.

more like the definition of cutting bait. I said it's better than cutting him, but to think this represents the epitome of asset management is odd. it's churning the bottom of your asset pool.

My definition of “cutting bait” would be... cutting him for nothing.

A 6th rd pick is less than a 5th. But it’s not that simple and you’re ignoring a lot of context. At this point it doesn’t matter where he was drafted 3 years ago. If we just drafted him in April and already had to cut bait and turn a 5 into 6, your point would make sense. But we got a few years worth of giving a player a shot, essentially lotto tickets. And get to try again only one round later after him showing next to nothing.

I’d say getting any draft pick back for a guy none of us would have been shocked to see just cut is good value. Also, shout out dandridge for being the only one to think that was possible. You were right, I was wrong. I will take my crow with a cold beer, good sir. :)
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#79 » by Balls2TheWalls » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 am

There is a lot of film of Jimmy Graham looking like a 200 year old trying to block. I wonder if there is a real move that will make us better at tight end. He has blown an absurd amount of running plays. He has also created almost nothing in the passing game.

I like Trevor Davis and the impact he can have for the Raiders, but Tremon Smith is a better return man. I don't know if I love us having 200 cornerbacks, but we keep adding incredibly fast, explosive, players.
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#80 » by Dandridgefav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 am

jimmybones wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

My definition of “cutting bait” would be... cutting him for nothing.

A 6th rd pick is less than a 5th. But it’s not that simple and you’re ignoring a lot of context. At this point it doesn’t matter where he was drafted 3 years ago. If we just drafted him in April and already had to cut bait and turn a 5 into 6, your point would make sense. But we got a few years worth of giving a player a shot, essentially lotto tickets. And get to try again only one round later after him showing next to nothing.

I’d say getting any draft pick back for a guy none of us would have been shocked to see just cut is good value. Also, shout out dandridge for being the only one to think that was possible. You were right, I was wrong. I will take my crow with a cold beer, good sir. :)

Thank you

Return to Green Bay Packers