ImageImage

Game 5: Packers @ Cowboys (3:25PM on FOX)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: Game 5: Packers @ Cowboys (3:25PM on FOX) 

Post#561 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:01 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:One random thing from the game.

I think there was [another] miscommunication on Rodgers snapping the ball with 10 seconds on the play clock after the attempted 12 man snap by Rodgers that they blew dead.

Another interesting thought was this: We got a delay of game at our own 20 or whatever it was just as the game was starting to feel like Dallas had a bit of a chance. The clock kept running. It was another **** up that we snapped it with ~10 seconds left. We should've kept taking delay-of-games unless there is something in the rules to stop it. I'll take 10 yards back to my own 5 and keep getting half the distance calls until Dallas is forced to call a timeout. Then I'd run a QB sneak and keep taking delay-of-games until Dallas is forced to call another. I think there were 11 minutes left but they could've forced the issue at the cost of 10-15 yards of field position.

There may be something in the rules to stop it from going that crazy, but seems like a loophole to me.
It was a **** up the clock kept running after the delay of game. It shouldnt have

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#562 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:02 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:One random thing from the game.

I think there was [another] miscommunication on Rodgers snapping the ball with 10 seconds on the play clock after the attempted 12 man snap by Rodgers that they blew dead.

Another interesting thought was this: We got a delay of game at our own 20 or whatever it was just as the game was starting to feel like Dallas had a bit of a chance. The clock kept running. It was another **** up that we snapped it with ~10 seconds left. We should've kept taking delay-of-games unless there is something in the rules to stop it. I'll take 10 yards back to my own 5 and keep getting half the distance calls until Dallas is forced to call a timeout. Then I'd run a QB sneak and keep taking delay-of-games until Dallas is forced to call another. I think there were 11 minutes left but they could've forced the issue at the cost of 10-15 yards of field position.

There may be something in the rules to stop it from going that crazy, but seems like a loophole to me.
It was a **** up the clock kept running after the delay of game. It shouldnt have

Incorrect, I added some more info with an edit, but the clock does keep running. It might stop late in the game, though. They call a penalty and stop the clock if you take more than 2 consecutive per down.

But in a situation where you are at the 8-10 minute mark and want to run some clock and you're up 2-3 scores, it might make sense to take 2 delays, kneel, take 2 delays, kneel...or force the other team to take timeouts.

The NFL actually addressed this point with a 2009 rule change - but previously, what you suggest would have been theoretically possible. Today, a team can only take two consecutive delay of game penalties on a down. Third time triggers an unsportsmanlike consult penalty, which stops the game clock.

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-the-clock-stop-in-the-NFL-after-a-false-start-or-delay-of-game-penalty
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#563 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:19 pm

Say you're at your own 5 yardline and you're up by 14 with 8 minutes left. Other team has 2 timeouts left.

Run the ball. 2 delays + take the play clock down to 1 = 1 minute and 59 seconds, 6 minutes left at your next snap.

QB sneak/run. 2 delays + take the play clock down to 1 = 1 minute, 59 seconds, 4 minutes at your next snap.

QB sneak/run. 2 delays + take the play clock down to 1 = 1 minute, 59 seconds.

The other team would probably take timeouts but you could run the clock down to the 2 minute mark if they refuse to and punt basically at zero cost other than you weren't trying for first downs and instead gave up 4 yards of field position to punt.

At worst you drain them out of timeouts and do it next time you have the ball. I do think the delays stop the game late...under 4 minutes? If so, then maybe that blocks the extension of this strategy a bit.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#564 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Say you're at your own 5 yardline and you're up by 14 with 8 minutes left. Other team has 2 timeouts left.

Run the ball. 2 delays + take the play clock down to 1 = 1 minute and 59 seconds, 6 minutes left at your next snap.

QB sneak/run. 2 delays + take the play clock down to 1 = 1 minute, 59 seconds, 4 minutes at your next snap.

The other team would probably take timeouts but you could run the clock down to the 2 minute mark if they refuse to and punt basically at zero cost other than you weren't trying for first downs and instead gave up 4 yards of field position to punt.

At worst you drain them out of timeouts and do it next time you have the ball. I do think the delays stop the game late...under 4 minutes? If so, then maybe that blocks the extension of this strategy a bit.
Didnt know that. I can almost guarantee that rule gets changed the week after a team tries that strategy

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#565 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:41 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Say you're at your own 5 yardline and you're up by 14 with 8 minutes left. Other team has 2 timeouts left.

Didnt know that. I can almost guarantee that rule gets changed the week after a team tries that strategy

After thinking it through, given the 2009 change to stop the clock (plus a 15 yarder) after you pick up your 3d, plus the fact that I think it stops within 4 minutes, there are limited ways to exploit it. It would only be deep in your own territory and up 14 with 8 minutes or up 17 with 9 minutes or something.

The Packers were a little too far up the field and 3 minutes too early to try it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#566 » by crkone » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter

This is hilarious.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#567 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Green Bay Packers