ImageImage

Game 6: Lions at Packers - 7:15 - ESPN/12

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Re: Game 6: Lions at Packers - 7:15 - ESPN/12 

Post#861 » by Profound23 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Shepherd looked like crap.....if any one player almost lost the game single handedly it was him. But he is young, I give him some rope. Geronimo I’m done with. He drops too many wide open balls and has enough experience that he shouldn’t be making the same mistakes.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#862 » by crkone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Rarely, if ever do I come in with a "play this practice squad guy" take because those guys are always overvalued as hell in the preseason...but I saw Lazard play some college games and he is a good football player. Shephard is like a 5'9" 180 lb guy that can run straight forward and does nothing else. Questionable decision making.

I think you are discounting Shepherd a little bit. He had almost 3000 receiving yards in college.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#863 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm

OK, I shouldn't have said "does nothing else," that was a bit much. He's also really good at breaking one tackle against FCS special teams players and getting tackled by the punter or getting past FCS corners and getting run down after a 35 yard catch.
crkone
RealGM

Post#864 » by crkone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:OK, I shouldn't have said "does nothing else," that was a bit much. He's also really good at breaking one tackle against FCS special teams players and getting tackled by the punter or getting past FCS corners and getting run down after a 35 yard catch.

You know what you're right. We should fire Gute for even thinking of having him on the roster while putting Lazard on the practice squad to start the year. Not to mention trading our dynamic, ultra talented returner for a lousy pick just to have this no talent fraud as the sole guy back there. Players from FCS, and especially North Dakota State, are garbage. You'll never find an NFL quality player from there.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#865 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Profound23 wrote:Went to the game with family. It was great. Sat right in front of a loud mouth Lions fan. After the Kerryon Johnson td, which wasn’t a td he replied to everyone’s gripe with, “well, either way we got our touchdown.”

Then there was a play where a Lion (can’t remember who) made a catch for a first but he didn’t get both feet in bounds. He just laughed at how the refs helped their team out. Although, that was just as much on LaFleur for not challenging.

After the hands to the face call, he spent the rest of the time whining about it. I couldn’t help but celebrate and just smile in his direction.

Both teams got away with a lot of pass interference. A lot of people were mad at running out the clock and kicking the Fg in both halves. I definitely agreed on 3rd and goal at the 21 preserve the three points. I understand wanting a td at the end there, because if Crosby somehow misses the Fg you have egg on your face. However, if you score the td and they return the kickoff for a td or something everyone is mad at that.

FWIW he had both feet down and it was an amazing catch.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#866 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Profound23 wrote:Shepherd looked like crap.....if any one player almost lost the game single handedly it was him. But he is young, I give him some rope. Geronimo I’m done with. He drops too many wide open balls and has enough experience that he shouldn’t be making the same mistakes.

Shepherd must've looked good at some point but I haven't seen it. He's had a number of shaky kick and punt returns and when he does actually field it cleanly he hasn't shown any kind of burst or wiggle to make anyone miss. At the time, the Trevor Davis trade seemed great. In hindsight, after watching Shepherd, you have to wonder what they were thinking.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#867 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm fine with trading Davis but I can't believe we can't find a better option.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#868 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm

crkone wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:OK, I shouldn't have said "does nothing else," that was a bit much. He's also really good at breaking one tackle against FCS special teams players and getting tackled by the punter or getting past FCS corners and getting run down after a 35 yard catch.

You know what you're right. We should fire Gute for even thinking of having him on the roster while putting Lazard on the practice squad to start the year. Not to mention trading our dynamic, ultra talented returner for a lousy pick just to have this no talent fraud as the sole guy back there. Players from FCS, and especially North Dakota State, are garbage. You'll never find an NFL quality player from there.

That's not what I mean. I understand that FCS competition and players can be good. I understand that we're talking about a #4 WR on an injury-riddled WR group. I understand that he has some raw talent to be good. I even understand that a player of this caliber can improve over time. I understand that even Adam Thielen's highlight tape against D2 opponents might look uninspiring.

That said, there are red flags that the guy can stick as a back-end NFL WR and that highlight tape didn't help me. If I saw Shepherd make a leaping catch in the NFL or run a terrific hook route and make a catch in traffic, I'd disregard the highlight reel.

Instead, we go to the "highlight reel" where we're down to a guy that needs to be good at getting open or breaking kick/punt returns. Instead, what I saw is a guy that barely looks athletically superior to FCS players and all of his yardage appears to have come on plays where he just sprinted to an opening against slower players and still was caught. I'd have more hope if I saw a play that looked like Ted Ginn's college footage given that he should be playing inferior competition.

What we're left with is a guy that's supposed to be outrunning guys that he can't outrun (NFL defenders) and I haven't seen a single clip of him running a great route to get open and get 10 yards. And now he's dropped some key passes/returns.

I am almost always a, "trust the evaluators if they've been pretty good at it" type since I sure as hell generally can't, but I'm just saying once you sent me that highlight clip, I was hoping for some "holy ****, he did what?" clips or some sound, fundamental WR work underneath. Instead, I saw a guy basically run for 30 wide open yards every time and never finish a big play.

I didn't really mean to take it out on you or anything, but after what I've seen on the field for 2-3 weeks + that highlight tape + the games I saw from Lazar, give me the guy that can beat NFL corners for 10 yards over the guy that buttered his bread by being slightly faster than FCS players and that's it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#869 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 pm

I know we can't address everything in one offseason, but holy crap is the WR/TE talent outside of Adams poor. Graham cannot separate whatsoever anymore and his hands have gotten worse, Allison can't catch over half the time, MVS can only run deep stuff. The rest of the guys, including Lewis/Tonyan, probably shouldn't be on NFL rosters. It's bad.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#870 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:33 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I know we can't address everything in one offseason, but holy crap is the WR/TE talent outside of Adams poor. Graham cannot separate whatsoever anymore and his hands have gotten worse, Allison can't catch over half the time, MVS can only run deep stuff. The rest of the guys, including Lewis/Tonyan, probably shouldn't be on NFL rosters. It's bad.

You addressed it so this is not directed at you, but this was still one of my favorite offseasons ever.

I literally wanted to not watch this team for the past 3-4 years because it was a worthless endeavor with how **** the defense was.

Ted Thompson tried this a few times like the 2012 draft and failed, but give me all of the defensive players in draft and free agency.

Obviously it would've been cool to strike gold on an extra WR or TE in cheap free agency, trade, or late in the draft...but adding 6 or 7 NFL caliber defensive players, 1-2 of them being legitimate impact players when 2 years ago we had like 3 NFL caliber defenders on the entire roster is awesome.

We'll have to do something about this at the deadline and next offseason but it should be pretty easy. I'd still probably take yet another 1-2 defensive players in the opening rounds, though.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#871 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I know we can't address everything in one offseason, but holy crap is the WR/TE talent outside of Adams poor. Graham cannot separate whatsoever anymore and his hands have gotten worse, Allison can't catch over half the time, MVS can only run deep stuff. The rest of the guys, including Lewis/Tonyan, probably shouldn't be on NFL rosters. It's bad.

I remember when i thought old jordy/cobb/adams was a bad corps. But this one? Yeesh.

The entire receiving group (wrs & tes) has been deteriorating slowly since jennings left really. We had at one point, jennings/nelson/jones/cobb/driver, and finley.

Since that high point in 2011, we’ve added ONE good receiver in 8 years- davante adams. Everything else has just been deterioration.

We had a great offseason and you really cant plug every gap in one summer, but our receiving talent has been going downhill for years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#872 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:34 pm

And even if it's not hands to the face, he's grabbing inside his jersey in order to gain leverage. Is that not the textbook definition of defensive holding?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
crkone
RealGM

Post#873 » by crkone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm

trwi7 wrote:Image

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#874 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:47 pm

trwi7 wrote:Image

And even if it's not hands to the face, he's grabbing inside his jersey in order to gain leverage. Is that not the textbook definition of defensive holding?

What I saw was flowers grabbing the neck of the jersey and pressing his closed fist into baks neck/under his chin.
Whats the difference between that and the typical open palm hands-to-the-face?
Does the fact hes using a closed hand (and also holding his jersey) make it somehow different? Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#875 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm not gonna say that it's vindication for those calls, but I just can't believe the reaction and moral indignation acting like this is an all-time screw job. Cuz yeah, in real time, he shoves his hand up into Bahk's head/neck area and it's a reasonable assumption by the official that he could have been pressing up on his facemask. And once again, it was only 3rd down. WE WOULD HAVE STILL KICKED THE FG AND BEEN UP 1 WITH 40 SECONDS LEFT.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#876 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not gonna say that it's vindication for those calls, but I just can't believe the reaction and moral indignation acting like this is an all-time screw job. And once again, it was only 3rd down. WE WOULD HAVE STILL KICKED THE FG AND BEEN UP 1 WITH 40 SECONDS LEFT.
Not that it necessarily wouldve mattered but I've seen this before. Rodgers throw an incompletion on the play. It wouldve been a 1 point game with around a minute and a half left. Not 40 seconds

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#877 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not gonna say that it's vindication for those calls, but I just can't believe the reaction and moral indignation acting like this is an all-time screw job. And once again, it was only 3rd down. WE WOULD HAVE STILL KICKED THE FG AND BEEN UP 1 WITH 40 SECONDS LEFT.
Not that it necessarily wouldve mattered but I've seen this before. Rodgers throw an incompletion on the play. It wouldve been a 1 point game with around a minute and a half left. Not 40 seconds

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Yep, the play we called on that 3rd down was incredibly unsafe to proper clock management in that particular situation.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#878 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Eh, you can really argue the approach to the entire drive and that third down. I am "fine" with it but even though odds increase by draining the Lions out of all 3 timeouts, the game is over if you get a first down (on your own merits)

So there are some people saying they should have snuck a pass in on 1st or 2nd down to get the first down and get into the same drain clock + kick easy FG situation even if you're risking giving another timeout back to the Lions.

Others are saying run all 3 plays to drain Lions of all timeouts.

All kinda depends on your outlook there, I bet the odds were similar on most approaches but I do lean towards trying to get the first down yourself.
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#879 » by jazzfanWA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
jazzfanWA wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
It's obviously a nickname. :lol:

It's not..................

you are the reason we need to keep donating to Wikipedia

It went straight over your head, didn't it?
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#880 » by jazzfanWA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
jazzfanWA wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
It's obviously a nickname. :lol:

It's not..................

lol of course it is. His real name is Anthony.

Booger....it' SNOT......GET IT?....

Return to Green Bay Packers