Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

2020 Badgers Football 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2020 Badgers Football 

Post#2 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:12 pm

Unless he gets a waiver, it wouldn't make any sense for him to transfer. Hopefully he wins the job but most likely we'll see him in 2021.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:19 pm

Coan is just incredibly limited. If Mertz doesn't win the job I'll be really disappointed.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#4 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:05 pm

The best QB every year in Wisconsin post-Alvarez football history, as decided upon by the fanbase:

1990: The backup
1991: The backup
1992: The backup
1993: The backup
1994: The backup
1995: The backup
1996: The backup
1997: The backup
1998: The backup
1999: The backup
2000: The backup
2001: The backup
2002: The backup
2003: The backup
2004: The backup
2005: The backup
2006: The backup
2007: The backup
2008: The backup
2009: The backup
2010: The backup
2011: Russell Wilson
2012: The backup
2013: The backup
2014: The backup
2015: The backup
2016: The backup
2017: The backup
2018: The backup
2019: The backup
2020: The ba
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#5 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:50 pm

Hey, man. Stocco was legit.
ReasonablySober wrote:Coan is just incredibly limited. If Mertz doesn't win the job I'll be really disappointed.

Yup. Coan won't lose you many games, but he won't win you many either.

I'm actually almost equally as concerned about RB next year as well. Watson was not impressive.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#6 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:11 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Hey, man. Stocco was legit.
ReasonablySober wrote:Coan is just incredibly limited. If Mertz doesn't win the job I'll be really disappointed.

I'm actually almost equally as concerned about RB next year as well. Watson was not impressive.

Watson was at least competent by the end of the year but yeah not very encouraging. There's also Julius Davis if he can get back to health...he was offered by LSU, USC, Notre Dame but was hurt all year and redshirted.

For the QB stuff - I'd just stop watching if I were you guys. Mertz could be a legitimate stud and they'll **** up one game and miss the playoffs or get their **** kicked in by Alabama and the narrative will be, "well we had a really good QB but I won't be satisfied until Wisconsin has a 3-time Heisman winning QB."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:49 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

Watson was at least competent by the end of the year but yeah not very encouraging. There's also Julius Davis if he can get back to health...he was offered by LSU, USC, Notre Dame but was hurt all year and redshirted.

For the QB stuff - I'd just stop watching if I were you guys. Mertz could be a legitimate stud and they'll **** up one game and miss the playoffs or get their **** kicked in by Alabama and the narrative will be, "well we had a really good QB but I won't be satisfied until Wisconsin has a 3-time Heisman winning QB."

I would have been thrilled with a Rose Bowl win.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#8 » by Bernman » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:42 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Bucky didn't lose the Rose Bowl because of QB play. It was a multitude of other reasons. The same was the case for the Illinois game if you look at it overall. Or either OSU game.

The OL is the signature of the program, but in recent years they've gotten out-dueled by many ranked teams. When that happens with the Packers, a Rodgers-led offense is seldom overly successful either.

When the defense gets spread out they allow big chunk yards through the air or the ground due to db thinness.

Receiver has been a strength for the last couple of years, but in the Oregon game they were w/out AJ Taylor and struggled.

And just couldn't afford those self-inflicted errors. They often just choke in close games. Whatever the opponent ultimately needs they allow it. Huge collapses. Flat track bullies.

Need better talent in a bunch of areas and a stronger mindset to start winning these games + contend for the playoffs. Don't have a sense from not following recruiting closely anymore if they're taking it to the next level, and mindset it's a game or two they win, executing late, to get them over the hump. That goes in stages.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#9 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:44 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:For the QB stuff - I'd just stop watching if I were you guys. Mertz could be a legitimate stud and they'll **** up one game and miss the playoffs or get their **** kicked in by Alabama and the narrative will be, "well we had a really good QB but I won't be satisfied until Wisconsin has a 3-time Heisman winning QB."

Yeah, you're right. All anyone has ever been clamouring for is a 3-time Heisman winning QB. Anything less than that is a failure, IMO.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:00 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:For the QB stuff - I'd just stop watching if I were you guys. Mertz could be a legitimate stud and they'll **** up one game and miss the playoffs or get their **** kicked in by Alabama and the narrative will be, "well we had a really good QB but I won't be satisfied until Wisconsin has a 3-time Heisman winning QB."

Yeah, you're right. All anyone has ever been clamouring for is a 3-time Heisman winning QB. Anything less than that is a failure, IMO.

Of course I was being factious. I'm joking because it's a progression. Everyone was kicking and screaming for Coan. Now he's not enough.

Wisconsin may get an elite guy someday. Mertz probably has the best chance...but it's exhausting hearing this every **** year. It's just not a good area of the country for getting a QB. Every year the next guy is supposedly better. The joke was that Mertz might actually be really good but it still won't be enough.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#11 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:08 pm

Bernman wrote:Need better talent in a bunch of areas and a stronger mindset to start winning these games + contend for the playoffs. Don't have a sense from not following recruiting closely anymore if they're taking it to the next level, and mindset it's a game or two they win, executing late, to get them over the hump. That goes in stages.

Wisconsin has improved its recruiting profile a bit. They are now able to convince like 2 or 3 out of state 4-star players to come to Wisconsin.

Beyond that, it's the same story since like 1995. They get the 10 Wisconsin kids that are good enough to play high division 1. Beyond that, the 5-star players in Ohio go to Ohio State and picks their favorite 10 guys out of the 50 high D1 players in their state, the 5-star players in Florida stay in the southeast, etc.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#12 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:21 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Of course I was being factious. I'm joking because it's a progression. Everyone was kicking and screaming for Coan. Now he's not enough.

No ****. People were clamouring for Coan because Hornibrook was an abomination in his last year here. But Coan obviously isn't great or even good. He isn't what you're hoping for. He's what you'd settle for if 2018 Hornibrook, or the years of Joel Stave, are the alternatives. He's a fine game manager.

I think what people are clamouring for is a good QB. No one here is expecting us to recruit the next Heisman winner, but they want someone who adds a dimension to our offense to allow our consistently good running game to not get boxed in during every big game by defenses keying on it. I hope Mertz is that guy.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Post#13 » by Lippo » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:33 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:The best QB every year in Wisconsin post-Alvarez football history, as decided upon by the fanbase:

I thought Tolzien and even Bollinger did ok...
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Post#14 » by Lippo » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:35 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

or if only he had a chance to play with Taylor and Cephus, just maybe then.....
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:48 pm

Bernman wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Bucky didn't lose the Rose Bowl because of QB play.

I never said it was. I was responding to the idea that it's National Championship or bust. Give me NY six bowls, specifically the Rose, and I can live with that. Maybe a damn B1G championship every five or ten years.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#16 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:50 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

No ****. People were clamouring for Coan because Hornibrook was an abomination in his last year here. But Coan obviously isn't great or even good. He isn't what you're hoping for. He's what you'd settle for if 2018 Hornibrook, or the years of Joel Stave, are the alternatives. He's a fine game manager.

I think what people are clamouring for is a good QB. No one here is expecting us to recruit the next Heisman winner, but they want someone who adds a dimension to our offense to allow our consistently good running game to not get boxed in during every big game by defenses keying on it. I hope Mertz is that guy.

Wisconsin has done “OK” at recruiting QBs since Alvarez came in. I don’t think that is earth-shattering of a take. They’ve had solid college QBs and some guys stick as NFL backups.

Where I think we differ is that I don’t think you guys understand how **** awful QB recruiting is in the Midwest. It’s a barren wasteland. Purdue lucked out with Brees and maybe MN lucked out with Morgan (we’ll see) but beyond that there it is littered with 3-star Coan-types (he’s from NY but that caliber of player) to sift through.

The difference of opinion is some think, “hey, tell this kid we’re a top 15 team and he’ll come to Wisconsin!” Problem is 10 equal or better teams closer to home (Florida, let’s say) also offered. And those teams throw more because there are Julio Joneses growing on trees down there. The best WR from the state of Wisconsin in the past 30 years is...Toon? Abbredaris?

So I think they can and should do better than Hornibrook who was a bit of a fallback from GA recruiting dual threat busts...and Mertz was a miracle recruit that they got as an unheralded recruit and then he blew up. But while I hope they can get a more dynamic guy than Coan regularly...it isn’t going to be a common thing.

I think with the stability of Chryst we at least won’t be falling back to Hornibrook caliber athletes. He’ll at least have guys like Coan in the wings.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#17 » by Bernman » Fri Jan 3, 2020 10:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I never said it was. I was responding to the idea that it's National Championship or bust. Give me NY six bowls, specifically the Rose, and I can live with that. Maybe a damn B1G championship every five or ten years.

Fair enough. I think that's a reasonable expectation. It's been frustrating to continue to come up short against good teams and when the games were seemingly in their grasp.

The QB expectation critique specifically can apply to some others that are always looking to that next hyped guy that they aren't satisfied with the solid performance of the lesser-recruited incumbent.

Oregon's QB wasn't any better. He was a worse passer. Just exploited misdirection and our db's in space like many have this season. Coan's mobility isn't an asset but he isn't a gimp either. If he works on his delivery in the offseason to make his releases quicker he can take that next step from solid to difference maker actually. Otherwise if Mertz is the real deal could win the job. Which wouldn't mean he was ready as a true frosh.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 4, 2020 12:43 am

Taylor declared.
sidney moncrief
Junior
And1: 186

Post#19 » by sidney moncrief » Sat Jan 4, 2020 7:52 pm

Jalen Berger commits! 2020 4-star RB from New Jersey
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#20 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:37 pm

Lippo wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:The best QB every year in Wisconsin post-Alvarez football history, as decided upon by the fanbase:

I thought Tolzien and even Bollinger did ok...

Stocco too. Also, it should say post-Morton, not post-Alvarez. More importantly, there were several times it was correct (Coan and Bollinger, for example, were actually much better players than the starter at the time).

Not that I disagree with the point being made, but not everyone who clamors for the back-up is just excessively dissatisfied with UW qb's in general; sometimes, they're right. I thought Coan was decent though, especially when the play-calling got less predictable at the end of the year.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Green Bay Packers