Packers 2020 Offseason Thread - Packers Talking Extension with Aaron Jones

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Re: Packers 2020 Offseason Thread - Packers Talking Extension with Aaron Jones 

Post#1041 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:00 am

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don’t see any reason Lazard can’t make another leap and be a legit #2. I’m predicting it.

Maybe he could, in kind of a poor mans Mike Evans...just don't think he gets any separation. Doesn't offer you anything after the catch.

Just seems like a very slightly better version of Geronimo Allison to me. Almost but not quite Just A Guy.
Allison is a pretty damn good comp and one that I've been useing for a while.

That said Allison has had some really good moments for this team he just ended up taking steps back when we needed him to step up. It happens. Hopefully it doesn't with Lazard

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#1042 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:11 am

I don’t think Lazard is really comparable to the scrubs we’ve had lately that had to be thrust into a prominent role. Maybe it’s just because I was high on him in 2018, but I’ve always been confused why he didn’t go in the 3rd round that season.

He had solid yards per attempt and catch percentage last season. He’s obviously very physically gifted. He’s the rare inexperienced guy who gained Rodgers trust, even though he wasn’t seeing the field until week six.

I really do think he’s going to be a great one this season and the primary reason the Packers didn’t take a WR in the draft.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1043 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I don’t think Lazard is really comparable to the scrubs we’ve had lately that had to be thrust into a prominent role. Maybe it’s just because I was high on him in 2018, but I’ve always been confused why he didn’t go in the 3rd round that season.

He had solid yards per attempt and catch percentage last season. He’s obviously very physically gifted. He’s the rare inexperienced guy who gained Rodgers trust, even though he wasn’t seeing the field until week six.

I really do think he’s going to be a great one this season and the primary reason the Packers didn’t take a WR in the draft.

This post prompted me to do a little research and holy cow you aint kidding.

Catches/yards/tds, freshman thru senior years:
45/593/3
56/808/6
69/1018/7
71/941/10

Was a top 100 recruit out of high school and checked all the boxes at the combine. I don’t know what the hell happened as far as him not being drafted but this has got me excited for his future.
Do it for Chuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#1044 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don’t think Lazard is really comparable to the scrubs we’ve had lately that had to be thrust into a prominent role. Maybe it’s just because I was high on him in 2018, but I’ve always been confused why he didn’t go in the 3rd round that season.

I felt the same way about EQ too, FWIW, before he got hurt last year. I've got hopes that a Adams/Lazard/EQ trio can be pretty impactful next year - as long as they stay healthy.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#1045 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:42 am

Jamal Adams wants a trade :droop:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,425

Post#1046 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Adams is great but also wants a new deal. We have little cap space now or next summer and Bakhtiari & Clark are up for extensions and Jones, Linsley and King will possibly be resigned after this year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#1047 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:53 pm

We're not on his approved list of teams anyway.
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#1048 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:We're not on his approved list of teams anyway.

I don't think his list means much. He's just listing competitive teams that need safeties. If we weren't set at SS and were willing to pay him then I'm sure he'd play for us

But yeah, just a pipe dream. My annual, off-season fantasy about obtaining a disgruntled star on a rookie contract
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#1049 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Adams is great but also wants a new deal. We have little cap space now or next summer and Bakhtiari & Clark are up for extensions and Jones, Linsley and King will possibly be resigned after this year.

Wonder how much Bakh is gonna pull since Tunsil got that ridiculous contract from Houston.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,425

Post#1050 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:55 pm

We haven't been giving OL third contracts (Sitton , Lang, Bulaga) but I think Bakh gets one.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#1051 » by M-C-G » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:40 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We haven't been giving OL third contracts (Sitton , Lang, Bulaga) but I think Bakh gets one.

People will hate me, but I'd be quietly exploring the trade market on him. LT are bringing back at least a first rounder.

He seems more dinged up then ever and will be 29 when the next season starts. If I could get a first that has a chance to be in the top 15, I'd do it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1052 » by Treebeard » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:55 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:We haven't been giving OL third contracts (Sitton , Lang, Bulaga) but I think Bakh gets one.

People will hate me, but I'd be quietly exploring the trade market on him. LT are bringing back at least a first rounder.

He seems more dinged up then ever and will be 29 when the next season starts. If I could get a first that has a chance to be in the top 15, I'd do it.

There is arguably some logic there, but to do that before this season( whenever that may be...), is likely to be seen as stepping back from contending. Gute and Lafleur would take even more heat
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1053 » by M-C-G » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Treebeard wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

There is arguably some logic there, but to do that before this season( whenever that may be...), is likely to be seen as stepping back from contending. Gute and Lafleur would take even more heat

The way I look at it, drafting Love and not getting a WR, they are basically taking their lumps right now, one way or another. It's kind of like, if you are going to do it, may as well just do it now and get extra pieces to help Love in one to two years.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1054 » by Treebeard » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

The way I look at it, drafting Love and not getting a WR, they are basically taking their lumps right now, one way or another. It's kind of like, if you are going to do it, may as well just do it now and get extra pieces to help Love in one to two years.

It does look that way from our perspective as fans. How much of talk by the Packer Brass of expected internal growth from existing players is real and how much is blowing smoke to cover a rebuild on the fly? Or, is there some Kohl-esque just-happy-to-make-the-playoffs mindset?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1055 » by M-C-G » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Treebeard wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

It does look that way from our perspective as fans. How much of talk by the Packer Brass of expected internal growth from existing players is real and how much is blowing smoke to cover a rebuild on the fly? Or, is there some Kohl-esque just-happy-to-make-the-playoffs mindset?

I personally, feel like Gute and MLF set a 1-2 year window on Rodgers with this off season. Whether we trade him, release him or whatever, I feel like they starting building the roster this season for life after Rodgers.

I might be wrong, and I am in the 'trade Rodgers' camp when it becomes reasonable to move on from him, but that is just the sense I am getting.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#1056 » by Reddeye » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:51 am

M-C-G wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

What if they thought after 6 wrs went in the 1st round there wasn't an option available that was a clear upgrade over what they had. On top of that they might have thought drafting a potential franchise QB was better than the wr potential on the board at their pick. Also the RB and TE they drafted might not be good players, but it looks like they were drafted to improve the offense next season.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1057 » by MoMM » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am

With so many WR drafted high, it's possible we are just waiting for some veteran WR to get released, so we can get him for free... or maybe Antonio Brown or Josh Gordon?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1058 » by M-C-G » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Reddeye wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

What if they thought after 6 wrs went in the 1st round there wasn't an option available that was a clear upgrade over what they had. On top of that they might have thought drafting a potential franchise QB was better than the wr potential on the board at their pick. Also the RB and TE they drafted might not be good players, but they look they they were drafted to improve the offense next season.

I think you are mistaking me here...I am on board with not taking a WR given how the board played out...the guys I wanted weren't there and I have no problem with getting guys for your system in rounds two and three. I'm fine with the entire draft actually.

My point, was that your typical fan feels like they are building for the future and giving Gute and MLF enough criticism, that if you don't like the number Bahk is asking for, you could trade him now and it wouldn't cause the typical blow back from the fans because those that are like Love are on board with future planning, those that hate the pick are already mad at the GM and coach. So trading a franchise LT right now could almost 'slip under the radar' so to speak.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,945

Post#1059 » by stillgotgame » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:34 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Reddeye wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

What if they thought after 6 wrs went in the 1st round there wasn't an option available that was a clear upgrade over what they had. On top of that they might have thought drafting a potential franchise QB was better than the wr potential on the board at their pick. Also the RB and TE they drafted might not be good players, but they look they they were drafted to improve the offense next season.

I think you are mistaking me here...I am on board with not taking a WR given how the board played out...the guys I wanted weren't there and I have no problem with getting guys for your system in rounds two and three. I'm fine with the entire draft actually.

My point, was that your typical fan feels like they are building for the future and giving Gute and MLF enough criticism, that if you don't like the number Bahk is asking for, you could trade him now and it wouldn't cause the typical blow back from the fans because those that are like Love are on board with future planning, those that hate the pick are already mad at the GM and coach. So trading a franchise LT right now could almost 'slip under the radar' so to speak.

Trading Bahk now would be a pure tank move. Wouldn’t exactly align with paying the Smith’s $30M this year, why not trade them too?
Read on Twitter
?s=20
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#1060 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Problem with even considering trading Bak is they don't have anyone on the roster I'd be even remotely comfortable playing LT for 16 games.

I'd resign Bak and Clark.

The one potential FA maybe you quietly shop is King. CB is a premium position so maybe you get a good return. I know pack fans always seem to be down on king but I'd bet opinions are higher than we think across the league because he's big athletic and makes some plays. At CB you could at least hope guys like Sullivan, Jackson, holdman could step up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers