ImageImage

ATL 2020 Off Season - Fournette to Tampa

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#361 » by jakecronus8 » Sun May 3, 2020 9:25 pm

I think Herbert is easily the most bankable bust guy in the draft. If he got to sit behind Rivers for a couple years I like his chances. Fact is, he’s probably starting before half the season is over which I think will be disastrous
Do it for Chuck
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#362 » by tski1972 » Mon May 4, 2020 4:25 pm

RIP Don Shula.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#363 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 5, 2020 3:27 pm

May I just say that I'm over Marshawn Lynch.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#364 » by DrWood » Tue May 5, 2020 6:22 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I think Herbert is easily the most bankable bust guy in the draft. If he got to sit behind Rivers for a couple years I like his chances. Fact is, he’s probably starting before half the season is over which I think will be disastrous

I think he has a chance to make it, but I consider him the biggest reach among the QB's. I'd probably prefer Hurts, though I think he's going to get mis-used by Philly.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#365 » by DrWood » Tue May 5, 2020 6:30 pm

humanrefutation wrote:The Bears are declining Trubisky's 5th Year option. Not too surprising, but absolutely hilarious after they traded up for him over Mahomes and Watson.

I thought he was a bad choice at draft time, but he has had his moments. He'll probably bounce around for another decade.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#366 » by DrWood » Tue May 5, 2020 6:39 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o

I wonder who are the boom/bust candidates from the top ten for 2020?

In 2024 my bet for most success:
Chase Young
Derrick Brown
Isaiah Simmons
probably Jeff Burrow (Still, he's got a lot of heavy lifting to fix a broken Cinci team)

Most likely candidates to have their fifth year not-renewed:
Jeff Okudah
Tua Tagovailoa (heresy, I know)
Andrew Thomas

(not necessarily flops, but seriously under-performing to expectations).

Herbert either becomes god-on-earth, or a journeyman with a 10 year career bouncing from team to team.

_Joe_ Burrow. He's going to have a long career, probably, but I'm not sure he'll be a perennial top 8 QB, which is what you want with a first overall pick.

I probably would have picked Young and never regretted it.

Barring injuries, Tua is a stud. Okudah should be a marginal pro-bowl kind of player. Thomas should be a long-time starter at a high level.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#367 » by Treebeard » Tue May 5, 2020 6:50 pm

DrWood wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o

I wonder who are the boom/bust candidates from the top ten for 2020?

In 2024 my bet for most success:
Chase Young
Derrick Brown
Isaiah Simmons
probably Jeff Burrow (Still, he's got a lot of heavy lifting to fix a broken Cinci team)

Most likely candidates to have their fifth year not-renewed:
Jeff Okudah
Tua Tagovailoa (heresy, I know)
Andrew Thomas

(not necessarily flops, but seriously under-performing to expectations).

Herbert either becomes god-on-earth, or a journeyman with a 10 year career bouncing from team to team.

_Joe_ Burrow. He's going to have a long career, probably, but I'm not sure he'll be a perennial top 8 QB, which is what you want with a first overall pick.

I probably would have picked Young and never regretted it.

Barring injuries, Tua is a stud. Okudah should be a marginal pro-bowl kind of player. Thomas should be a long-time starter at a high level.

Oh, my guesses were based on gut, not logic. There are guys every year that should be mortal locks for pro success who bomb out and some who are bust-risk who pan out. Herbert is the most likely guy to bust, therefore, he's the one to have the long career. :D

Of course it makes little sense
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#368 » by jakecronus8 » Tue May 5, 2020 8:41 pm

I must be the only person not high on Tua. Great numbers but played in a loaded system (nfl caliber o-line, and receiving corps), short, questionable arm strength, already had a major injury and was not crazy mobile before it. I think he could be successful in the right system but I just don’t see a game changing player even if health is on his side.
Do it for Chuck
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#369 » by Profound23 » Wed May 6, 2020 5:00 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I must be the only person not high on Tua. Great numbers but played in a loaded system (nfl caliber o-line, and receiving corps), short, questionable arm strength, already had a major injury and was not crazy mobile before it. I think he could be successful in the right system but I just don’t see a game changing player even if health is on his side.

I was high on Tua until his injuries. Those are scary injuries. Watched his pre-draft work-out and every throw he just kept going to the left. I am not sure if he will ever be the same, but if he can get back to where he was headed....then I have no questions he will succeed.
sidney moncrief
Junior
And1: 186

Post#370 » by sidney moncrief » Wed May 6, 2020 9:55 pm

Packers first 4 games would be Jaguars, Titans, @Colts, @Texans in some order

Read on Twitter
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#371 » by Treebeard » Wed May 6, 2020 10:20 pm

sidney moncrief wrote:Packers first 4 games would be Jaguars, Titans, @Colts, @Texans in some order

Read on Twitter

What's the theory behind that idea?
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#372 » by Mags FTW » Wed May 6, 2020 10:37 pm

Treebeard wrote:
sidney moncrief wrote:Packers first 4 games would be Jaguars, Titans, @Colts, @Texans in some order

Read on Twitter

What's the theory behind that idea?

I'm guessing under a "Worst Case Scenario" where they end up having to shorten the season, they would just scrap the non-conference games and still guarantee that you play everyone in your division twice.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#373 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 7, 2020 4:50 am

Ooof Earl Thomas.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#374 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 7, 2020 2:52 pm

Schedule thread up. Looks like first 4 weeks of NFC/AFC games isn't happening if Bears/Lions is week 1. Discuss schedule on the new thread.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#375 » by M-C-G » Thu May 7, 2020 7:43 pm

Cam Newton looking for a back up QB role now? Not even an open competition or a starter role, damn. I know he hasn't been healthy, but I'm shocked he can't get a competition with a guy like Minshew
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#376 » by humanrefutation » Thu May 7, 2020 7:54 pm

Problem for Cam is that there are very few QB jobs available out there. So many teams have those positions set, at least for the coming year. The Bears could have gone with Cam over trading for Foles. The Jags could go with Cam over Minshew. The Patriots could bring him in over Stidham. But that's pretty much it in the near term. Everyone else has either a comfortable veteran starter or has recently drafted their perceived franchise QB.

This is going to be a progressive problem as QBs continue to play into their late 30s or even early 40s. It won't stop young guys from getting drafted. But there are going to be guys who are at the crossroads of their careers who will struggle to find gigs because they've all been filled by aging vets and young promising talents.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#377 » by M-C-G » Thu May 7, 2020 8:25 pm

humanrefutation wrote:.

This is going to be a progressive problem as QBs continue to play into their late 30s or even early 40s. It won't stop young guys from getting drafted. But there are going to be guys who are at the crossroads of their careers who will struggle to find gigs because they've all been filled by aging vets and young promising talents.

Very good observation, hadn't considered that before. I've always thought of guys like Josh McCown that kind of hang in there forever, but Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Phillip Rivers are all starts that are 37 or older. I remember when if you had a QB that was 31 or 32 that seemed really old.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#378 » by Treebeard » Thu May 7, 2020 8:51 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Very good observation, hadn't considered that before. I've always thought of guys like Josh McCown that kind of hang in there forever, but Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Phillip Rivers are all starts that are 37 or older. I remember when if you had a QB that was 31 or 32 that seemed really old.

The by-product desired end-product of some of the protective rules?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#379 » by M-C-G » Thu May 7, 2020 9:13 pm

Treebeard wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

The by-product desired end-product of some of the protective rules?

CERTAINLY so. When "hey! your pinky grazed the back of the QBs head, FIRST DOWN!", you have a lot more longevity.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#380 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 7, 2020 9:47 pm

I know there was discussion about it a while back, but 10 years from now there's gonna be a flood of mediocre-to-decent QB's knocking on the door with "Hall of Fame credentials and/or numbers". It'll be interesting to see how the league treats the passing explosion and the subsequent inflation of the record books. I mean, maybe you can make the case for some of these guys, but how many do you think of and your first thought is "oh yeah, he's getting in":

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck (might be a stretch considering he didn't play long enough)
Carson Palmer

Return to Green Bay Packers