ImageImage

ATL 2020 Off Season - NFLPA Votes for No Preseason Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Treebeard
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,794
And1: 1,051
Joined: Jun 17, 2009
Location: Out in the Driftless Area
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#381 » by Treebeard » Thu May 7, 2020 10:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I know there was discussion about it a while back, but 10 years from now there's gonna be a flood of mediocre-to-decent QB's knocking on the door with "Hall of Fame credentials and/or numbers". It'll be interesting to see how the league treats the passing explosion and the subsequent inflation of the record books. I mean, maybe you can make the case for some of these guys, but how many do you think of and your first thought is "oh yeah, he's getting in":

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck (might be a stretch considering he didn't play long enough)
Carson Palmer


My off-hand bet: Yes
Rivers - decent production from a debatable roster at times
Manning SB's and New York market impact
Rothlesberger - SB appearances

The rest are shaky.
*******************************************************
RRyder823
Head Coach
Posts: 6,130
And1: 2,542
Joined: May 06, 2014
   

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#382 » by RRyder823 » Thu May 7, 2020 10:01 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I know there was discussion about it a while back, but 10 years from now there's gonna be a flood of mediocre-to-decent QB's knocking on the door with "Hall of Fame credentials and/or numbers". It'll be interesting to see how the league treats the passing explosion and the subsequent inflation of the record books. I mean, maybe you can make the case for some of these guys, but how many do you think of and your first thought is "oh yeah, he's getting in":

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck (might be a stretch considering he didn't play long enough)
Carson Palmer


Big Ben is the only "lock" from that list. His body of work topped with trophies is too strong of a case.

Romo, Ryan and Stafford would be very clear signs that the standard for making the HoF has declined. Romo and Stafford in particular simply don't have the "peak" normally considered a prerequisite. These 3 will be guys regularly listed as finalists before the final decision is whittled down but won't ever make it

I think an argument can be made for Cam on his 3rd or 4th ballot because he was so unique.

Rivers will probably make it similar to Cam but on his 2nd or 3rd try because he has a big body of work to build a case off of

Eli might make it (he shouldn't) because the NY media (along with others) seems to think 4 months worth of football is a HoF case.

Palmer and Luck shouldn't even make it onto preliminary ballots. Careers were to short and not a high enough peak

So to answer your question of who on this jumps into your head as a HoF its 1 with 2 probables

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 14,866
And1: 10,231
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#383 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 7, 2020 10:10 pm

FWIW Pro-Football-Reference has a HOF probability tracker and it has the following scores for these guys (103.46 is an average HOF score for QB's):

Rivers: 92.48
Romo: 46.25
Manning: 83.41
Newton: 65.23
Roethlisberger: 91.18
Stafford: 42.54
Ryan: 91.12
Palmer: 56.02
User avatar
MoMM
General Manager
Posts: 9,045
And1: 1,066
Joined: Jan 08, 2002
Location: Florianopolis, Brazil
Contact:
       

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#384 » by MoMM » Fri May 8, 2020 8:11 am

Ron Swanson wrote:FWIW Pro-Football-Reference has a HOF probability tracker and it has the following scores for these guys (103.46 is an average HOF score for QB's):

Rivers: 92.48
Romo: 46.25
Manning: 83.41
Newton: 65.23
Roethlisberger: 91.18
Stafford: 42.54
Ryan: 91.12
Palmer: 56.02

Well, Aikman did it and his score is 65. Rodgers is 121 (8th all time).
Matches Malone
RealGM
Posts: 15,717
And1: 7,419
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Location: Latveria
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#385 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Dear god! Did someone use the Madden Relocation jersey selection tool to come up with these? Oof

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,939
And1: 9,406
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#386 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I know there was discussion about it a while back, but 10 years from now there's gonna be a flood of mediocre-to-decent QB's knocking on the door with "Hall of Fame credentials and/or numbers". It'll be interesting to see how the league treats the passing explosion and the subsequent inflation of the record books. I mean, maybe you can make the case for some of these guys, but how many do you think of and your first thought is "oh yeah, he's getting in":

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck (might be a stretch considering he didn't play long enough)
Carson Palmer


Big Ben is a Dbag but probably a lock.
Rivers and Eli are going to be very interesting, personally I don't see either as locks. Maybe they get in if there's a weak year.
I'd say no to both Palmer and Luck
The other guys probably need to do more the rest of their careers to get in.
I don't think Romo gets in but I guess down the line if he continues as the top announcer maybe that combined with his play gets him in (can't remember if the HoF looks at all contributions to the game or they separate that out)

Oh and Leroy Butler belongs in over any of these guys :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 31,679
And1: 4,886
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#387 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 14, 2020 12:55 am

1-year deal with only $300k guaranteed for Marqis Lee and the Pats.

We must REALLY have faith in Lazard and Co.
jute2003
Veteran
Posts: 2,902
And1: 1,047
Joined: Feb 20, 2013
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#388 » by jute2003 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 am

Matches Malone wrote:Dear god! Did someone use the Madden Relocation jersey selection tool to come up with these? Oof

Read on Twitter
The helmets are cringy..rest is fine imo
only a fan, only an opinion
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,201
And1: 7,274
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#389 » by M-C-G » Thu May 14, 2020 4:29 am

Mags FTW wrote:1-year deal with only $300k guaranteed for Marqis Lee and the Pats.

We must REALLY have faith in Lazard and Co.


Could very well be he thinks it is his best chance for 100 targets to parlay into a last contract too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 76,797
And1: 16,911
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#390 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 pm

DeAndre Baker with an arrest warrant out for armed robbery. With a semi-auto he robbed someone(s) of money and watches.

Link.

Yikes.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,939
And1: 9,406
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#391 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 14, 2020 11:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:DeAndre Baker with an arrest warrant out for armed robbery. With a semi-auto he robbed someone(s) of money and watches.

Link.

Yikes.
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,939
And1: 9,406
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#392 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

They might want to make it more than 15 yards but I'm cool with a rule change like this for onsides since they basically made them impossible with the new kickoff rules.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 31,679
And1: 4,886
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#393 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Always hated the onside even before the Seattle game. So flukey and allows a team to pull a win out of their ass.

You want the ball back? Fine. The other team gets 3 points and you start at your own 1.
User avatar
dbrodz7
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,278
And1: 639
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
       

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#394 » by dbrodz7 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:26 am

Mags FTW wrote:Always hated the onside even before the Seattle game. So flukey and allows a team to pull a win out of their ass.

You want the ball back? Fine. The other team gets 3 points and you start at your own 1.


I'm in your camp I don't like the onside kick. I understand it makes it more exciting, but win the game in the first 58-59 minutes. You shouldn't be punished for a weird ball bounce on one stupid play. I loved the new rules making it much harder I think that's how it should be. Maybe I'm just bitter from the Seattle game :dontknow:
Winning.
User avatar
PintSizedBox10
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,528
And1: 526
Joined: Mar 31, 2019
   

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#395 » by PintSizedBox10 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:08 am

I’m not a big fan of onside kicks either but the last thing I want to see would be teams getting the ball back due to a defensive penalty on their 4 & 15 attempt.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRyder823
Head Coach
Posts: 6,130
And1: 2,542
Joined: May 06, 2014
   

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#396 » by RRyder823 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 am

PintSizedBox10 wrote:I’m not a big fan of onside kicks either but the last thing I want to see would be teams getting the ball back due to a defensive penalty on their 4 & 15 attempt.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How bout no automatic 1st down penalties. If one occurs the plays is run again.

Would certainly give a defensive edge which is certainly needed

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Daver
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 90
Joined: Feb 23, 2019
       

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#397 » by Daver » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Ok board i love the packers but call me football stupid now.Can someone explain to me how the packers with rodgers getting sacked 40 plus times every year be rated the 4th best oline in the NFL in pass protection.
Huh absolutely do not understand if rodgers had bradys or brees mobility he would get killed behind that line.His scrambling ability alone avoids him another 10 plus sacks every season.
Brady passes the ball 50xs against the best sack team in the NFL(kc) and hardly gets touched NEs line isnt top 6 yet Rodgers passes the ball 40xs n gets sacked a average of like 4 a game and his line is 4th.Me no understand
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,201
And1: 7,274
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#398 » by M-C-G » Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Daver that is because they tend to assign the sacks after a certain amount of time to the QB. If the line protects for 2.5 seconds or whatever it is, I am pretty sure they are not blamed for that sack.

Given Rodgers doesn’t like to get rid of the ball quickly, it leads to most of his sacks. Pretty rarely does someone blow up our line and get a quick sack.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daver
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 90
Joined: Feb 23, 2019
       

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#399 » by Daver » Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

M-C-G wrote:Daver that is because they tend to assign the sacks after a certain amount of time to the QB. If the line protects for 2.5 seconds or whatever it is, I am pretty sure they are not blamed for that sack.

Given Rodgers doesn’t like to get rid of the ball quickly, it leads to most of his sacks. Pretty rarely does someone blow up our line and get a quick sack.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Mickey davis just wrote that rodgers holds the ball a average of 2.88 seconds n mahomes 2.83 seconds that seems pretty quick if not mahomes i dont think got close to being sacked as much as rodgers did and he was .05 seconds faster.Now does mahomes getting sacked only 30 plus times because of said .05 seconds quicker or because his oline is better i just dont see how GBs oline can be ranked 4th
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,201
And1: 7,274
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Re: ATL 2020 Off Season - Bears Decline Trubisky's 5th Year Option 

Post#400 » by M-C-G » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Daver wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Daver that is because they tend to assign the sacks after a certain amount of time to the QB. If the line protects for 2.5 seconds or whatever it is, I am pretty sure they are not blamed for that sack.

Given Rodgers doesn’t like to get rid of the ball quickly, it leads to most of his sacks. Pretty rarely does someone blow up our line and get a quick sack.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Mickey davis just wrote that rodgers holds the ball a average of 2.88 seconds n mahomes 2.83 seconds that seems pretty quick if not mahomes i dont think got close to being sacked as much as rodgers did and he was .05 seconds faster.Now does mahomes getting sacked only 30 plus times because of said .05 seconds quicker or because his oline is better i just dont see how GBs oline can be ranked 4th

30 plus times is two plays per game over the course of the season, where it isn’t unusual to drop back 40 something times a game.

Not sure how you can watch Rodgers and not notice the number of times he extends plays, it has to be among the tops in the league.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Green Bay Packers