ImageImage

2020 Packers News, Trades, Transactions - RIP Ted Thompson

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: 2020 Packers News, Trades, Transactions - Bakh Tore ACL? 

Post#341 » by skones » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Hell of a tough schedule next season:

Home Games
Rams
Steelers
Seahawks
Browns
Giants/Washington
Bears
Vikings
Lions

Road
Cardinals
49ers
Ravens
Titans
Bengals
Bears
Vikings
Lions

It's the NFL. Things change fast. The same thing was said about our schedule this season and here we are at 13-3.

We had:
Vikings x 2 10-6
Saints 13-3
Tampa with newly added Brady
Texans 10-6
Niners 13-3
Bears 8-8 x 2
Eagles 9-7
Titans 9-7
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,390

Re: 2020 Packers News, Trades, Transactions - 2021 Opponents Page 17 

Post#342 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:41 pm

I have the Gold (2 games) season tickets. It's always the second and fifth home games. With my luck it will be Washington and Detroit. This year it would have been Falcons and Bears.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#343 » by Treebeard » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:08 pm

IF the Packers go to the Superbowl, is Pettine still retained? On the one hand, it would seem highly likely. On the other hand, some of the turnaround has followed player discussions with Pettine and now LaFleur is taking a more active hand with the defense.

I'd assume Mennenga and probably the other ST coaches are gone after the last game.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#344 » by crkone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:19 pm

Treebeard wrote:IF the Packers go to the Superbowl, is Pettine still retained? On the one hand, it would seem highly likely. On the other hand, some of the turnaround has followed player discussions with Pettine and now LaFleur is taking a more active hand with the defense.

I'd assume Mennenga and probably the other ST coaches are gone after the last game.

I'm fine with Pettine staying if the defense shows improvement against the teams we'll face in the playoffs.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
skones
RealGM

Post#345 » by skones » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:37 pm

crkone wrote:
Treebeard wrote:IF the Packers go to the Superbowl, is Pettine still retained? On the one hand, it would seem highly likely. On the other hand, some of the turnaround has followed player discussions with Pettine and now LaFleur is taking a more active hand with the defense.

I'm fine with Pettine staying if the defense shows improvement against the teams we'll face in the playoffs.

I'm not. We had to wait this long for Pettine to adjust "kind of?" Get out of Green Bay plz n thnx.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,677

Post#346 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:04 pm

Yeah, anything short of a Super Bowl and Pettine still needs to get tossed. He's had two years to work with this talented group and the results have ranged from average to disastrous. Hell, even Capers fielded two consecutive Top-5 defenses when he had the talent.
crkone
RealGM

Post#347 » by crkone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:47 pm

skones wrote:
crkone wrote:

I'm not. We had to wait this long for Pettine to adjust "kind of?" Get out of Green Bay plz n thnx.
It would be pretty bold to remove him after they got to the super bowl especially if it was premised that he improved against the teams he'd face. In that scenario it would most likely be the offense that was the issue.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
skones
RealGM

Post#348 » by skones » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:58 pm

crkone wrote:
skones wrote:
crkone wrote:

It would be pretty bold to remove him after they got to the super bowl especially if it was premised that he improved against the teams he'd face. In that scenario it would most likely be the offense that was the issue.

And if we get to the Superbowl and get slaughtered by Patrick Mahomes? We made it to the NFC Championship with Pettine's defense last year and were thoroughly embarrassed. Idc if it's bold, he's not the guy. IF your players have to come to you and say "Hey man, let us play," before you stop trotting out the same **** that's not working over and over again, you're not seeing the things the way you should. You're not good at your job.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#349 » by M-C-G » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:13 am

Does anyone think we could work some kind of trade, where Aaron Jones goes to Texans and JJ Watt finishes his career out here? Don't get me wrong, I love AJ, I hate paying RBs, and I think JJ deserves to be rescued. Otherwise would a 3rd and something land him?
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#350 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:18 am

M-C-G wrote:Does anyone think we could work some kind of trade, where Aaron Jones goes to Texans and JJ Watt finishes his career out here? Don't get me wrong, I love AJ, I hate paying RBs, and I think JJ deserves to be rescued. Otherwise would a 3rd and something land him?
Bigger issue then draft compensation would be the 17.5 million dollar cap hit.

There's allready going to be belt tightening going on this offseason. Adding that on top of it probably doesn't make sense

Although unlikely I could see them cutting him though if he requests it. Houston has cap issues and could use the room

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#351 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:47 am

Jones is going to the Dolphins, Jets, or Bengals. Callin' it.
crkone
RealGM

Post#352 » by crkone » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:56 am

skones wrote:
crkone wrote:
skones wrote:

And if we get to the Superbowl and get slaughtered by Patrick Mahomes? We made it to the NFC Championship with Pettine's defense last year and were thoroughly embarrassed. Idc if it's bold, he's not the guy. IF your players have to come to you and say "Hey man, let us play," before you stop trotting out the same **** that's not working over and over again, you're not seeing the things the way you should. You're not good at your job.

Yep that's why I said show improvement. What you just said isn't improvement. What if they make it to the super bowl and the defense allows 17 to the Chiefs and the offense scores 10? There's no way he's getting fired but there would be hell to pay somewhere else.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#353 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:23 am

LeRoy Butler is a HOF finalist.

How someone can be on an All-Decade Team and not in the HOF is beyond me.
skones
RealGM

Post#354 » by skones » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:48 am

crkone wrote:
skones wrote:
crkone wrote:It would be pretty bold to remove him after they got to the super bowl especially if it was premised that he improved against the teams he'd face. In that scenario it would most likely be the offense that was the issue.

Yep that's why I said show improvement. What you just said isn't improvement. What if they make it to the super bowl and the defense allows 17 to the Chiefs and the offense scores 10? There's no way he's getting fired but there would be hell to pay somewhere else.

I mean, technically it is because we'd be going a step further. The fact of the matter remains, this team has players on it, and Pettine isn't getting the most out of them. This defense hasn't improved enough over his tenure to save his job. It's too little too late for him if I were calling the shots IMO. It's not a good sign when LaFleur is calling for more aggression on 3rd and 4th down from his DC in week 17.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#355 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:05 am

skones wrote:
crkone wrote:
skones wrote:

I mean, technically it is because we'd be going a step further. The fact of the matter remains, this team has players on it, and Pettine isn't getting the most out of them. This defense hasn't improved enough over his tenure to save his job. It's too little too late for him if I were calling the shots IMO. It's not a good sign when LaFleur is calling for more aggression on 3rd and 4th down from his DC in week 17.

Did I miss something?

skones
RealGM

Post#356 » by skones » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:52 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Did I miss something?

He made comments then were more or less politically correct backhanded sleights at Pettine for King giving that cushion to Robinson on the 3rd and 3 play as well as a couple of soft coverages on fourth down plays. He's been snidely critical of Pettine all season long.

I think LaFleur gave Pettine another year to get things right, but there's a clear difference in philosophy. Not to entirely discredit LaFleur, but he's the boss, there's no way this stuff should be happening at this point if it goes against what he wants. It's week 17, it's your team, take the reigns.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#357 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:05 pm

skones wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Did I miss something?

He made comments then were more or less politically correct backhanded sleights at Pettine for King giving that cushion to Robinson on the 3rd and 3 play as well as a couple of soft coverages on fourth down plays. He's been snidely critical of Pettine all season long.

I think LaFleur gave Pettine another year to get things right, but there's a clear difference in philosophy. Not to entirely discredit LaFleur, but he's the boss, there's no way this stuff should be happening at this point if it goes against what he wants. It's week 17, it's your team, take the reigns.

Where are these comments? I simply haven't seen them or read them. Not saying he didn't say what you are getting at but in my past expierence I've known many that have let their own bias fill in the blanks when they're reading between the lines.

If you have a link that'd be appreciated

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#358 » by Treebeard » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:20 pm

skones wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Did I miss something?

I have to wonder what boardroom politicking is going on. Murphy is the one that set up the chain of command and I'm assuming Murphy had the deciding vote on originally retaining Pettine from the McCarthy era. As a result, Pettine's got kind of a dotted-line connection in the chain-of-command back to Murphy. My bet, based on gut feel, is that Pettine goes, regardless of how the post-season ends.
skones
RealGM

Post#359 » by skones » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:43 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
skones wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Did I miss something?

Where are these comments? I simply haven't seen them or read them. Not saying he didn't say what you are getting at but in my past expierence I've known many that have let their own bias fill in the blanks when they're reading between the lines.

If you have a link that'd be appreciated

This dives into it a bit. It's not the first time comments have been made, they've been spotted on the sideline having words (against Jacksonville I believe), etc. It's just been a bit lost in the shuffle because we're winning.

Here's LaFleur bringing it up unprompted:
Read on Twitter

It's something he's harped on quite a bit in pressers, and nothing changes. That's absolutely on Pettine.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,677

Post#360 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:41 pm

Yeah, there's clearly been some friction and visible frustration between MLF and Pettine. No reading between the lines necessary. All goes away if the defense keeps up what it's been the doing the last 4-5 weeks.

Return to Green Bay Packers