ImageImage

2021 Draft and Offseason - Rodgers Wants Out of GB?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

2021 Draft and Offseason - Rodgers Wants Out of GB? 

Post#1 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Very tough decisions coming up for Green Bay in free agency as Bakhtiari, Aaron Jones, Kevin King and Corey Linsley will all be unrestricted free agents.

With it looking like Green Bay is closing in on a deal with Aaron Jones and not being able to get traction on a new deal with Bakhtiari, I can’t help but think he may be moving on after this season. This would be a shame as he’s as good as you’re gonna get at Left tackle and is Aaron Rodgers security blanket. Barring Rodgers restructuring (which I highly highly doubt) I think it will come down to a numbers game.

Supposedly David wants Tunsil money (averaging around 22mil per). For that number Green Bay could probably bring back both King and Jones. If Green Bay were to franchise and trade Bakhtiari they’d almost certainly get a first round pick back. That’s three major contributors for the price of one. Unfortunately the business side of things means sacrifices have to be made.

Elgton Jenkins may be the long term solution at Left tackle or Jon Runyan.

As far as the draft goes, similar to last year this class is loaded with receiver talent. After completely passing on a receiver last year it would be shocking to not see a round 1 or 2 pick on one in this upcoming draft.

My heart is set on Rondale Moore. Think Tyreek hill without the douche baggery. He’s small but built strong and would be a dimension we haven’t had in the slot since Randall Cobb. He could also be a special teams demon in the return game. I’m hoping Purdue has garbo QB play to keep his numbers down. If not I’ll it’s unlikely he’d make it to where Green Bay picks unless they get a high pick in a Bakhtiari tag and trade scenario. Rashad Bateman would be another wet dream and fits the profile more of what Green Bay looks for in a receiver but I expect him to be a top 10-15 pick.

The nice thing is Green Bay should be able to get a premium perimeter guy if they choose to, given the depth of the position and other positions. I think 4 QBs go in the first round and I can see as many as 7-8 offensive tackles in the first as well. Tons of talent at defensive back as well. Overall looks like a deep deep class.
Do it for Chuck
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: 2021 Draft and Offseason 

Post#2 » by FAH1223 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 pm

You can't let Bakhtiari walk and you really can't let Jones walk either.

I don't know how they're going to do it, but those players aren't growing on trees in the draft.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,279

Post#3 » by Finn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Moore has opted-out to get ready for the draft so unless he changes his mind you don't have to worry about the Purdue QB!
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#4 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 pm

My importance ranking for the big free agents remains

Bakhtiari
King
Jones
Linsley

In the end though I can’t see a scenario where Bakhtiari isn’t priced out of Green Bay
Do it for Chuck
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,167

Post#5 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:My importance ranking for the big free agents remains

Bakhtiari
King
Jones
Linsley

In the end though I can’t see a scenario where Bakhtiari isn’t priced out of Green Bay
I'm a little the opposite. I see Bahk staying and King possibly pricing himself out. Jones i could see on a franchise tag situation for a year before trading him. Lynsley is gone

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#6 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Priority keepers
Bahk
Jones (if the price is right)

They gone
King
Linsley

Can't pay everyone and especially not gonna open the Brinks truck for an interior lineman and a non-shutdown corner. But these are the kind of sacrifices you have to make when you invest heavily in free agency. Honestly, I could see a scenario where every one of these guys prices themselves out of GB. Franchise tag and trade on Bhak wouldn't be the worst idea if he really wants "best LT in the league" type money, and I can't say that he doesn't deserve it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:15 pm

If they really want to keep all/most of the FAs they could get creative.

Restructure/extended ZaDarius is a path for a little more space. Preston has a 16mil cap number and 8mil in dead money so something could be done there. Cutting Lowry saves 3.3. Wagner or Turner could be axed to save some coin if they don't play up to their contracts the rest of this year.

The pack can get creative and kick the can down the road a bit because at some point in the next few years Rodgers will be gone clearing a bunch of money and they will probably have a reset type year his first one gone.

Should also be noted with the cap staying flat LOTS of teams are going to have cap issues. This should mean a little weaker market for FAs and probably some good bargains on middle class type vets who end up cap casualties on other squads.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 269

Post#8 » by Reddeye » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:22 pm

There are going to be some good teams that are well under the cap (thinking Colts and Pats are) who might be getting some good players at bargain prices.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#9 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Reddeye wrote:There are going to be some good teams that are well under the cap (thinking Colts and Pats are) who might be getting some good players at bargain prices.
For sure. I just looked and it's kind of crazy of the top 10 projected cap for 21 on sportrac 9 of the 10 are AFC teams with only washington with around 53m from the NFC.

Some NFC teams who will get hit hard are the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, Rams and Vikings who all have negative space.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 380

Post#10 » by James1980 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Stafford restructured twice in last 9 months, last one converting his 7.8 mil base salary into a signing bonus creating 5.85 mil in cap space, can't Rodgers do something similar?
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:25 pm

James1980 wrote:Stafford restructured twice in last 9 months, last one converting his 7.8 mil base salary into a signing bonus creating 5.85 mil in cap space, can't Rodgers do something similar?
Sure they can play around with that and push some base into a bonus that for cap purposes extends out over the final years of his deal. Kind of depends on when and how big of a dead cap hit the Packers are willing to take when they move on from Aaron.

I imagine Aaron would be game for this since he wouldn't lose any money and it helps keep guys on the team while he's there and only hurts them in dead cap when he's gone.

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#12 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:25 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Reddeye wrote:There are going to be some good teams that are well under the cap (thinking Colts and Pats are) who might be getting some good players at bargain prices.
For sure. I just looked and it's kind of crazy of the top 10 projected cap for 21 on sportrac 9 of the 10 are AFC teams with only washington with around 53m from the NFC.

Some NFC teams who will get hit hard are the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, Rams and Vikings who all have negative space.

All teams that have invested heavily in free agency and sold off draft picks over the past several years. Worked out for the Eagles with their SB win, but now they're staring over the edge of the cap cliff and a possible rebuild. Cautionary tale for the instant gratification crowd.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#13 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

All teams that have invested heavily in free agency and sold off draft picks over the past several years. Worked out for the Eagles with their SB win, but now they're staring over the edge of the cap cliff and a possible rebuild. Cautionary tale for the instant gratification crowd.
The Saints have been managing thier cap like a ponzi scheme for like 5-6 years now but mostly got away with it since the cap kept jumping. Now that it will go flat for at least a year they will finally feel the pain.

I actually think one of TTs biggest mistakes was not recognizing the cap increases and being more aggressive. He seemed to manage the cap like a smart team in 00s needed to but failed to see it was a changed game in the 10s.

neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#14 » by neiLz » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm

packers should get a 4th, 5th, 6th compensatory picks this year. good year since 2 of the 4 big names will probably not be here. can use those as ammo to trade up, get their replacements and fill in the holes.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#15 » by zmanishere11 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm

GB is batting 1000% regarding letting linemen walk (Lang / Sitton / ect.).

Bak is tough - he's been awesome, but on the back end of his career for sure. We may be able to do the franchise / trade thing, maybe not.

This offense would be screwed without Aaron Jones. I would argue he's as good as CM3 - the literal total package. I hate paying RB's but hate to think of this offense without Jones.

These decisions make our 2020 draft all the more puzzling. Literally zero help from this class through 2 weeks - such a shame.

I have no idea what the right decision is, but we will go into the off-season desperately needing WRs, DL, and MLB - exact same as this off-season. FML.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 pm

I think this team and Rodgers look good so I'd personally keep it rolling for another year BUT should be noted one option this off-season is a nuclear reset if they don't get to the SB and don't feel they can get better in 21. Trade Rodgers for picks and take his dead cap hit next year. Let most/all FAs leave (maybe keep a young guy like King) and get 22 draft comps. Start Love next year in a rebuilding year, likely be bad then go into 22 with a load of picks and a good amount of cap space to try a quick rebuild for the last few years of Loves rookie deal.

Again not the path I currently would take but it is an option.

jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#17 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:01 pm

I have no idea how of any of it works but I vaguely recall a cap guy on twitter saying there’s a week or two window in the offseason where Rodger’s cap burden would be significantly lessened if they were to trade him in that period.

Still think it would be crazy especially if Rodgers continues this level of play. Even if he is mvp caliber you’re not going to get near equal compensation for a guy like him just due to age and contract. The longer Love can get comfortable the better in my eyes and this offseason (maybe) will be his first real offseason.
Do it for Chuck
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Post#18 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:13 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:GB is batting 1000% regarding letting linemen walk (Lang / Sitton / ect.).

Bulaga hurt his hamstring in camp and was questionable for week 1 and did play. But Sunday he only lasted 8 snaps before hurting his knee. No word if he'll play this week but I think this was another good decision to let him walk.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#19 » by Treebeard » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:GB is batting 1000% regarding letting linemen walk (Lang / Sitton / ect.).

Bulaga hurt his hamstring in camp and was questionable for week 1 and did play. But Sunday he only lasted 8 snaps before hurting his knee. No word if he'll play this week but I think this was another good decision to let him walk.

Sometimes the old saw rings true: better to cut bait too soon, than too late.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#20 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Sometimes the old saw rings true: better to cut bait too soon, than too late.
Yeah Bulaga has been a warrior and had a good career but dudes had just a crazy amount of leg injuries. It was totally understandable not giving him a big contract.

Return to Green Bay Packers