ImageImage

2021 Draft and Offseason - Rodgers Wants Out of GB?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Re: 2021 Draft and Offseason 

Post#21 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#22 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

TS with yet another example of someone just blindly claiming a solution without providing any ideas of how to get there. The Bakhtiari stuff is getting annoying now.

Packers have historically been cap conscientious and not willing to put off cap issues til down the road. It’s one of the reasons they’re always a contending team. Would suck to lose an elite player at an important position but I think people need to start coming to terms with it.
Do it for Chuck
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,620

Post#23 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 pm

When's the last time the Packers handed out a big 3rd contract to any player that wasn't Rodgers? It's definitely been a rare occurrence. Bahk's only 29 and has always been durable though, so I guess I don't really get the concern with age/decline over the life of his next deal. Concerns for me are purely financial/cap related. You're either paying the guy what he's worth, or you're letting a damn good player walk in order to shore up other areas of the roster.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#24 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:When's the last time the Packers handed out a big 3rd contract to any player that wasn't Rodgers? It's definitely been a rare occurrence. Bahk's only 29 and has always been durable though, so I guess I don't really get the concern with age/decline over the life of his next deal. Concerns for me are purely financial/cap related. You're either paying the guy what he's worth, or you're letting a damn good player walk in order to shore up other areas of the roster.

I keep coming back to the numbers game. Do they value Bakhtiari more than the combo of Jones and King? Decent chance you can get both guys for the price of DB. Jenkins still looks like the plan at LT to me especially if Runyan keeps playing well in his opportunities. Wagner and Patrick looking good have probably helped too.
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#25 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:00 pm

The Pack have never really used the franchise tag and it sucks for the player but that might be the move with Bak this spring. Run things back one more time with him and Rodgers and then go from there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#26 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Pack have never really used the franchise tag and it sucks for the player but that might be the move with Bak this spring. Run things back one more time with him and Rodgers and then go from there.

Having now been corrected on this, I don’t think the tag is possible without major cuts and/or restructures as all other transactions would precede it. In other words they won’t have the temporary cap space to tag him even just to trade him. That’s a bummer.

Barring a mid season trade, I’m starting to believe that he’s going to leave and only leave us with compensatory pick the following off season.
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#27 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Pack have never really used the franchise tag and it sucks for the player but that might be the move with Bak this spring. Run things back one more time with him and Rodgers and then go from there.

Having now been corrected on this, I don’t think the tag is possible without major cuts and/or restructures as all other transactions would precede it. In other words they won’t have the temporary cap space to tag him even just to trade him. That’s a bummer.

Barring a mid season trade, I’m starting to believe that he’s going to leave and only leave us with compensatory pick the following off season.
Yeah I wouldn't tag him to trade him, I'd tag him and keep him for a year. But yeah they would have to cut/restructure some guys to get the space.

It's so early to really judge this though with lots of factors that could change by spring.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,561

Post#28 » by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:44 am

I think they'll find a way to get him signed. He's only 28 and arguably the best at one of the most important positions. I saw people trying to compare this to the Lang, Sitton, Wahle, Rivera situations etc... but this seems different. Give him a 5-year deal with an opt out after 3 years and move on then.

If I had to guess as to who doesn't get paid out of all our FA's, I could see them move on from King and/or Linsley this offseason.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#29 » by sdn40 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:38 pm

restructure whoever
pull money from whatever
push the cap

Bakhtiari should know better. Those are dumb comments
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#30 » by TheProdigy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:19 am

With the 32nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#31 » by vegaspacker » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:08 am

TheProdigy wrote:With the 32nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

The Schwartz is strong with this one!!!
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#32 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:13 pm

Looking more and more likely that the 2020 draft class will produce next to nothing this year. At least Barnes looks decent.

Hopefully the 2021 class will have more initial impact.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,006

Post#33 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:51 pm

Matt Miller did a draft on Twitter today and had the Packers take

Read on Twitter

McShay with a new mock today and has the Packers going with

31. Green Bay Packers
Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU*

Another mock, another wide receiver to the Packers. Maybe this is the year Green Bay finally does it for Aaron Rodgers. This will be the 11th first-round selection for the Packers since 2012, and the only offensive one was another quarterback (Jordan Love, 2020). Rodgers, the likely MVP, slung it this season, leading the NFL in touchdown passes with 48 and showing no signs of decline -- but 18 of them went to Davante Adams. Quite simply, the Packers have to replenish the WR room with game-breakers, and Marshall (who opted out halfway through the 2020 season) can come down with balls in traffic and tack on big yards after the catch.

As an aside, running back will be something to watch on Day 2. Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams might not return to Lambeau Field, and the likes of Michael Carter (North Carolina), Javonte Williams (North Carolina), Chuba Hubbard (Oklahoma State), Trey Sermon (Ohio State) and Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis) could be names to keep an eye on.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,519

Post#34 » by Profound23 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:41 am

Curious how far Micah Parsons falls since he sat out this season. He could be a difference maker.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#35 » by MoMM » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:21 pm

What about Tonyan? He is a RFA, but how much do you think he will get?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:03 pm

I know everyone wants a WR (and I'd be cool with that) but I actually think CB and T are higher on the priority list.

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,519

Post#37 » by Profound23 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:10 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I know everyone wants a WR (and I'd be cool with that) but I actually think CB and T are higher on the priority list.

T should be #1 but as usual BPA.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#38 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:13 pm

Profound23 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I know everyone wants a WR (and I'd be cool with that) but I actually think CB and T are higher on the priority list.

For sure on BPA. Honestly you can make a case for having at least some need now or in the near future at any position other than QB.

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#39 » by Treebeard » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:39 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

For sure on BPA. Honestly you can make a case for having at least some need now or in the near future at any position other than QB.

Not a crazy thought that both Jones and Williams play elsewhere, so another RB - via some route - may be useful. (Not with the first round pick though)
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#40 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:45 pm

Treebeard wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Not a crazy thought that both Jones and Williams play elsewhere, so another RB - via some route - may be useful. (Not with the first round pick though)
Yeah spending a 1st on a RB after using a 2 on one last year would be interesting asset management.

But the again a guy like Etienne would be a fun 1-2 punch with Dillion.

Return to Green Bay Packers