ImageImage

2021 Draft and Offseason - Rodgers Wants Out of GB?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Re: 2021 Draft and Offseason - Rodgers MVP; Woodson HOF; Barry DC 

Post#741 » by CWoodfan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:51 pm

M-C-G wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:If you're someone that views Love as an unnecessary/wasted 1st round pick, then I'd probably go and search my post history and make sure I also wasn't one of those people that lambasted the organization for not having a suitable back-up QB to keep us in the hunt when we were trotting out Tolzien, Hundley, and Kizer those years that Rodgers got hurt.

Just saying.

Not sure how a developmental QB is a suitable back up, I’ve always just wanted an old vet. It was a baffling dumb pick

So keep in mind, Rodgers looked physically and performance wise in decline and was set to be 37 with a contract that we could get out of in 1-2 years with minimal hardship cap wise.

I mean, a developmental QB seems to have worked out great for GB in Brett Favre, it worked great for Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselback, worked great for Seattle in Russel Wilson (remember they just signed Flynn), worked great for Chiefs in some dude named Mahomes, seems to have worked great for the Chargers and appears to be a great move for Eagles as well.

There are a handful of examples pulled out of my ass that show why a developmental QB is a good idea.

Mark Brunell was taken in the 3rd round in 1993 before Favre had established himself as the guy.

Aaron Brooks was a 4th round pick. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round.

As for Russel Wilson, he was a 3rd round pick, not a 1st rounder and Seattle had no established QB when he was selected.

And Mahomes was not chosen as a development QB, he was drafted to take over for mediocre Alex Smith, which he did in year 2.

As for the Chargers & Eagles, I suspect you are somehow equating the Chargers taking Justin Herbert 6th overall to replace the departing Rivers to the Pack's decision to select Love with Rodgers still under contract for multiple seasons. The two situations are not even close to being similar.

I really can't fathom what you are trying to get at with Philly. Are you already declaring the Eagles taking Hurts in round 2 because Wentz was floundering some type of success? If so, based upon what?

I know some Packer fans have a deep need to rationalize the Love pick in a manner that supports his selection, but there simply is NO COMPARISON between GB using a 1st and 4th round pick on Love in the 2020 draft and what transpired when the Pack expended far less draft capital to choose Brunell, Brooks, or Hasselbeck.

And the circumstances pertaining to the selections of Wilson, Mahomes, Herbert, and Hurts are so different from those of the Love picks (1st & 4th) that referencing those players just serves to highlight how unique the Love pick really was - and how desperate some Packer fans are to justify it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Re: 2021 Draft and Offseason - Wagner and Kirksey Released 

Post#742 » by Profound23 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:59 pm

I want a GM who takes the player he believes is the best player.

You don't draft a wr because you need one when you feel like there is a franchise QB staring you in the face. Obviously, Love might not ever meet his potential, but if he does I will gladly take him over the wrs that went after our pick. I am disappointed we didn't trade up for Jefferson, but who knows if that was available. My wish list was Jefferson, Love, Queen, Claypool. When we traded up I swore it was for Queen....but I am fine with Love and still feel it could end up being the right move.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,167

Post#743 » by RRyder823 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Only Packers fans would continue to be upset that their team was proactive in trying to secure the teams long term future at the most important position on the field because we need to get our HoF QB more help even though the reason we've had back to back HoF QBs is because the Packers were proactive about securing the long term future of the position before.

And oh yeah the offense consisted of 7 of 11 guys that played at a Pro Bowl level, while being one of the most efficient offenses in history, so unless you were like 1 or 2 people arguing for a CB in round 1 last year just calm down. And before people bring him up I wanted Queen, and thought he was who they were trading up for, but Barnes was better then he was last year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#744 » by DanoMac » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Man, the hate of the Love pick is honestly surreal. You're lying to yourself if you didn't think Rodgers was on a steep decline after 2018 and 2019.

Our GM is doing his due diligence on arguably the most important position in sports. I'll never hate that.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#745 » by jimmybones » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Hating the Love pick after one year is some serious short term or Madden thinking. The pick still has the potential to be a homerun if the guy is AR's eventual replacement, having "needs" at the spots will never change that. What Love becomes in the long term is the only way to evaluate that pick.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,367

2021 Draft and Offseason - Wagner and Kirksey Released 

Post#746 » by M-C-G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:04 pm

CWoodfan wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Not sure how a developmental QB is a suitable back up, I’ve always just wanted an old vet. It was a baffling dumb pick

So keep in mind, Rodgers looked physically and performance wise in decline and was set to be 37 with a contract that we could get out of in 1-2 years with minimal hardship cap wise.

I mean, a developmental QB seems to have worked out great for GB in Brett Favre, it worked great for Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselback, worked great for Seattle in Russel Wilson (remember they just signed Flynn), worked great for Chiefs in some dude named Mahomes, seems to have worked great for the Chargers and appears to be a great move for Eagles as well.

There are a handful of examples pulled out of my ass that show why a developmental QB is a good idea.

Mark Brunell was taken in the 3rd round in 1993 before Favre had established himself as the guy.

Aaron Brooks was a 4th round pick. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round.

As for Russel Wilson, he was a 3rd round pick, not a 1st rounder and Seattle had no established QB when he was selected.

And Mahomes was not chosen as a development QB, he was drafted to take over for mediocre Alex Smith, which he did in year 2.

As for the Chargers & Eagles, I suspect you are somehow equating the Chargers taking Justin Herbert 6th overall to replace the departing Rivers to the Pack's decision to select Love with Rodgers still under contract for multiple seasons. The two situations are not even close to being similar.

I really can't fathom what you are trying to get at with Philly. Are you already declaring the Eagles taking Hurts in round 2 because Wentz was floundering some type of success? If so, based upon what?

I know some Packer fans have a deep need to rationalize the Love pick in a manner that supports his selection, but there simply is NO COMPARISON between GB using a 1st and 4th round pick on Love in the 2020 draft and what transpired when the Pack expended far less draft capital to choose Brunell, Brooks, or Hasselbeck.

And the circumstances pertaining to the selections of Wilson, Mahomes, Herbert, and Hurts are so different from those of the Love picks (1st & 4th) that referencing those players just serves to highlight how unique the Love pick really was - and how desperate some Packer fans are to justify it.

I’ll keep this simple because I don’t really care enough to argue, I picked teams that drafted a developmental QB when someone else was pegged as the starter that year. And I did it off the top of my head, which is why a bunch of Packers are on the list.

Talk yourself in, out or sideways any way you’d like from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#747 » by M-C-G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm

jimmybones wrote:Hating the Love pick after one year is some serious short term or Madden thinking. The pick still has the potential to be a homerun if the guy is AR's eventual replacement, having "needs" at the spots will never change that. What Love becomes in the long term is the only way to evaluate that pick.

I was listening to some national sports radio while driving today and the topic was what should the bears do. They’ve spent the better half of a decade (decades maybe?)churning through high picks, trading picks, failing in FA, etc trying to find at least a Kirk Cousins level play at QB.

If you date back to Cutler or maybe even before it has to be staggering how much they spent trying to get like, league average QB play.

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#748 » by Treebeard » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:42 pm

M-C-G wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Hating the Love pick after one year is some serious short term or Madden thinking. The pick still has the potential to be a homerun if the guy is AR's eventual replacement, having "needs" at the spots will never change that. What Love becomes in the long term is the only way to evaluate that pick.

I was listening to some national sports radio while driving today and the topic was what should the bears do. They’ve spent the better half of a decade (decades maybe?)churning through high picks, trading picks, failing in FA, etc trying to find at least a Kirk Cousins level play at QB.

If you date back to Cutler or maybe even before it has to be staggering how much they spent trying to get like, league average QB play.

To be fair, this was mostly clickbait ratings, but I've seen at least one site naming Cutler as the best Bear QB of all time..... Mostly on the basis of his modern statistical eval. Even with that statistical qualification, that's pretty sad when you think on it.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,518

Post#749 » by th87 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:41 am

RRyder823 wrote:Only Packers fans would continue to be upset that their team was proactive in trying to secure the teams long term future at the most important position on the field because we need to get our HoF QB more help even though the reason we've had back to back HoF QBs is because the Packers were proactive about securing the long term future of the position before.

And oh yeah the offense consisted of 7 of 11 guys that played at a Pro Bowl level, while being one of the most efficient offenses in history, so unless you were like 1 or 2 people arguing for a CB in round 1 last year just calm down. And before people bring him up I wanted Queen, and thought he was who they were trading up for, but Barnes was better then he was last year.

The 2004 Packers went 10-6, beating up on a crappy division, and subsequently mooned out of the Wild Card round by the 8-8 Vikings, where Favre threw 4 interceptions, and hinted at retirement right after. So drafting a QB then was not that risky, because the Packers weren't even close, and Favre was wishy-washy.

In 2019, the Packers went to the NFCCG, and just needed a boost to get over the hump. To use an extremely important player acquisition avenue (a FRP) on someone not providing said boost is far riskier then than in 2005. Apples and oranges comparison.

At some point, it's time to look at the here and now. The Packers tried the long term future route, and we got a 10 year Super Bowl drought out of it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,167

Post#750 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 pm

th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Only Packers fans would continue to be upset that their team was proactive in trying to secure the teams long term future at the most important position on the field because we need to get our HoF QB more help even though the reason we've had back to back HoF QBs is because the Packers were proactive about securing the long term future of the position before.

The 2004 Packers went 10-6, beating up on a crappy division, and subsequently mooned out of the Wild Card round by the 8-8 Vikings, where Favre threw 4 interceptions, and hinted at retirement right after. So drafting a QB then was not that risky, because the Packers weren't even close, and Favre was wishy-washy.

In 2019, the Packers went to the NFCCG, and just needed a boost to get over the hump. To use an extremely important player acquisition avenue (a FRP) on someone not providing said boost is far riskier then than in 2005. Apples and oranges comparison.

At some point, it's time to look at the here and now. The Packers tried the long term future route, and we got a 10 year Super Bowl drought out of it.
Thank you for proving my point

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,556

Post#751 » by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 pm

Kiper and McShay had another mock draft segment and had us taking CB Aaron Robinson out of UCF.

Interesting pick. Some scouts are saying he'll be best as a slot corner at the next level, but he's had some good film on him from the outside.

This is a good year to need a corner because there are a lot that I like this year. I still really like Asante Samuel Jr., Tyson Campbell and Ifeatu Melifonwu in that next crop of CB's after the top guys.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#752 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Kiper and McShay had another mock draft segment and had us taking CB Aaron Robinson out of UCF.

Interesting pick. Some scouts are saying he'll be best as a slot corner at the next level, but he's had some good film on him from the outside.

This is a good year to need a corner because there are a lot that I like this year. I still really like Asante Samuel Jr., Tyson Campbell and Ifeatu Melifonwu in that next crop of CB's after the top guys.

I really like a lot of CB in this draft throughout the draft. The first round guys have less holes, but there are a number of guys that are kind of wild cards available later that could be starters, Paulson Abedo, Shakur Brown, Keith Taylor, Tre Brown, Tay Gowan but Ben St. Juste has my eye as a midround guy that we can replace Kevin King with.

By the way, PFF seems pretty high on Wildgoose out of UW, thinks he has a lot of NFL skills that will translate but weren't really used the the Badgers zone scheme. Have him estimated as a third rounder.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#753 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm

It's weird that I feel great about our LB for the first time in a long time, but I find myself wanting Zaven Collins. I think he could play inside/outside whatever, he just seems like he has star potential.

This guy is the like the perfect player for Pettine's Preston Smith role, seems like perfect flexibility between dropping in coverage, playing the run, rushing the passer, major X factor and other than Jaelon Darden maybe my favorite player in this draft, so far.

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#754 » by Ayt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:55 pm

Even short term, he could be the difference between missing and making the playoffs and having a shot at the Superb Owl if Rodgers tweaks an ankle, knee, shoulder, whatever and is out for several weeks.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,225

Post#755 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:44 pm

Packer boards are going to be hilarious if/when Love eventually takes over at QB.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#756 » by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:00 pm

M-C-G wrote:It's weird that I feel great about our LB for the first time in a long time, but I find myself wanting Zaven Collins. I think he could play inside/outside whatever, he just seems like he has star potential.

This guy is the like the perfect player for Pettine's Preston Smith role, seems like perfect flexibility between dropping in coverage, playing the run, rushing the passer, major X factor and other than Jaelon Darden maybe my favorite player in this draft, so far.

You and me are on the same page it looks like lol. I love Zaven Collins. He's going to be a huge menace on defense and if we are going with that Vic Fangio style defense, this guy could play that Khalil Mack role of lining up everywhere and just terrorizing people. Can drop in coverage, can line up outside and can even put his hand in the dirt. I'd be so down for this.

Edit: And I also love Darden in the middle rounds. When people talk about twitchy athletes, this dude should be the poster boy. My goodness.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#757 » by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#758 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
M-C-G wrote:It's weird that I feel great about our LB for the first time in a long time, but I find myself wanting Zaven Collins. I think he could play inside/outside whatever, he just seems like he has star potential.

You and me are on the same page it looks like lol. I love Zaven Collins. He's going to be a huge menace on defense and if we are going with that Vic Fangio style defense, this guy could play that Khalil Mack role of lining up everywhere and just terrorizing people. Can drop in coverage, can line up outside and can even put his hand in the dirt. I'd be so down for this.

Edit: And I also love Darden in the middle rounds. When people talk about twitchy athletes, this dude should be the poster boy. My goodness.

I would say half my mock drafts end up looking something like;
1. Zaven (hon mention Toney)
2. OT (Usually Walker Little, Radunz, Eichenberg, Carman)
3. DI - target Alim McNeil, Daviyon Nixon, Tyler Shelvin, Levi O...I also sometimes flop OT and DI in rounds and hope one of the many OT make it to third round
4. CB/WR/RB and sometimes S, especially if I can get one of the bigger guys that can be that LB/S hybrid, Hamsah from FLST and Deablo from VT being my main interest.
5. WR/RB (usually looking for speed at WR here so Eskridge, Stevenson and playmaking change of pace runner Javian Hawkins)
6. WR/CB or DI (typically like the big bodied WR flyers available in this draft Tamorian Terry, Grimes, Warren Jackson, Simi, Vasher)
7. Whatever fell or punter.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,518

Post#759 » by th87 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:17 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
th87 wrote:

Thank you for proving my point

That...doesn't make any sense.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#760 » by M-C-G » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

I guess I would counter to the go all in crowd, had we done that with Favre, we wouldn't have gotten Rodgers. Would anyone trade Rodgers tenure here for Roddy White?

Good player, drafted just a few picks after Rodgers, had a nice long career. Would he have been the difference maker that would have brought home a few more rings?

Return to Green Bay Packers