ImageImage

Vikings Lead Up

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Re: Vikings Lead Up 

Post#21 » by Wisky4life » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Everson Griffen to the Lions for 2021 6th.

Should have been us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
James1980
Veteran
And1: 380

Post#22 » by James1980 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Wisky4life wrote:Everson Griffen to the Lions for 2021 6th.

Should have been us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

We just like to pick up practice squad players.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#23 » by WRau1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am

Just saw a report that the Packers tried trading for Zac Ertz 2 weeks ago.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#24 » by Treebeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Silverstein explores the idea of the Packers being sellers at the deadline:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/10/28/green-bay-packers-could-make-sense-sellers-before-deadline/3752224001/
(A lot of spitball thoughts, as each has some logic, but each has significant downsides)

Silverstein: Why it could make sense for Packers to be sellers before trade deadline
Tom Silverstein
Packers News
GREEN BAY - As the Nov. 3 NFL trading deadline nears, the assumption has been that the Green Bay Packers will be buyers, looking for a final piece for the second half of what looks to be a promising season.

General manager Brian Gutekunst wouldn’t be doing his job if he weren’t trying to improve the 53-man roster of a 5-1 team with Super Bowl aspirations, especially on offense where the receiver position lacks a suitable complement to Davante Adams.

It’s possible he’ll find someone who can help, but he isn’t the only general manager looking for receiver help and there could be competition if the Houston Texans, for instance, decide to part with Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb and/or Kenny Stills or the Philadelphia Eagles choose to deal Alshon Jeffery. There would be salary-cap ramifications as well.

The hardest decision Gutekunst might have is whether to be a seller.

Let’s start with the first scenario.

The boldest move he could make would be to offer up Bakhtiari and see if he could get a first-round pick or more. It’s inevitable he’s going to have to pay through the teeth to keep one of the best left tackles in the game, so you could reason that if Gutekunst has no intention of paying Bakhtiari’s price, he should trade him now.

It’s a lot more feasible after watching right tackle Billy Turner flip sides and play an exceptional game in place of the injured Bakhtiari (chest) Sunday at Houston. Veteran Rick Wagner would stay at right tackle and if anything happened to either tackle during the season, left guard Elgton Jenkins would replace him.

Not having to pay Bakhtiari would make it easier to sign Jones and some of the others.

However, several scouts thought that would never happen because Bakhtiari is just too good to lose.

One suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if Gutekunst tried to trade Turner, whose value will probably never be higher after playing five of the best games of his career this season. There are scores of teams who need offensive-line help and Gutekunst could get as high as a third-round pick out of it.

Not only that, he would remove a total of $5.02 million ($1.47 million this year and $3.55 million next year) in salary-cap charges. Add to that the $8 million in cap space they hope to carry over into ’21 and they would be about $10 million under at the start of next year.

The risk is that if they suffer multiple injuries on the offensive line, it could derail their season.

Of the other pending free agents, it’s unlikely Gutekunst would trade Linsley unless he thinks rookie Jon Runyan is ready to start and could replace Jenkins or Lucas Patrick, one of whom would have to move from guard to center. Trading Linsley this week would gain him $4.79 million in cap space.

Another possibility would be trading running back Jamaal Williams or cornerback Kevin King.

For Williams, Gutekunst could possibly get a fifth-round pick, one scout estimated, which might be better than what he would get in a compensatory pick next year. He would save $1.25 million in cap space by trading Williams before Sunday.

The Packers want rookie AJ Dillon to play more, but Williams’ versatility and infectious excitement between the lines would be missed.

As for trading a player Gutekunst might have to cut next spring, two candidates are defensive lineman Dean Lowry and safety Adrian Amos. Neither has produced up to the contracts they signed last year, but both could start for a team with needs at their positions.

In Lowry’s case, the Packers could gain $4.123 million if they traded him this week ($3.3 million of it in ’21). Lowry plays only on early downs and the way Montravius Adams and Kingsley Keke have been playing, he is expendable.

Trading Amos would be risky because he’s smart, rarely in the wrong place and usually a good tackler. But this year, he hasn’t been tackling well and has failed to come up with some make-able plays. For another contender needing some stability in the secondary, he would be a good fit.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#25 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Trading Bakh is a gutsy gutsy move that you wouldn't be able to sell to your fan base.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#26 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:40 pm

If you got a first round pick back I think that's a fairly easy sell. It's what it would mean to Rodgers that I'd be worried about.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Treebeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:44 pm

M-C-G wrote:Trading Bakh is a gutsy gutsy move that you wouldn't be able to sell to your fan base.

Oh, yeah, to be sure that move would bring out the torches and pitchforks, unless he brings back a big name performer in return. It would be seen as yet another failure to put a decent team around Rogers.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Treebeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Is Andrew Thomas a guy that could be picked up on the cheap from the Giants? He's be a huge disappointment for a #4 pick; but how much is being thrown into the soup on a truly crappy team with iffy coaching? Is he just a complete bust, or could a change of scenery help?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#29 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm

I’ve been low key about my willingness to move Bakhtiari. It seems like they’re far apart on contract numbers and I can see them preferring to keep two (possibly 3) of the other big free agents over just the one. I’m also optimistic on Jenkins being a great LT

As stated, it would take a first to pull the trigger. That ends up being 3-4 potential impact players for the price of one.
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#30 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Keep your oline depth, it's important.

King is the guy if someone offered like a 3rd you'd have to consider it. He's a slightly above average CB so that would have value for a CB needy team. With Alexander eventually getting a massive extension it won't make sense to invest more in CB this off-season so he's likely gone with a 4/5th type comp pick coming back.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#31 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Given Gute's drafting record I'm not all that thrilled with obtaining draft picks but I guess the more you have you might get lucky with some of them.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#32 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm all for being smart and keeping one eye on the future but at some point Gutekunst has to understand that he has a 36 year old future HOF QB still playing at a pretty high level and make some moves accordingly. It's starting to get extremely frustrating to me.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,166

Post#33 » by raysbookclub » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Packers weren't able to get Snacks, but maybe they get Dontari Poe off waivers? Big guy, 3-4 nose.

Would love Quennin Williams but who knows if the Jets are really willing to trade him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#34 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Well that's encouraging.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#35 » by Marley2Hendrix » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 pm

Just saw a reference green bay made a recent call on Will Fuller.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#36 » by WRau1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Marley2Hendrix wrote:Just saw a reference green bay made a recent call on Will Fuller.

Was just coming here to see if anyone posted that yet. I heard it as well.

Would also love to bring in Poe.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#37 » by Mags FTW » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I'm all for being smart and keeping one eye on the future but at some point Gutekunst has to understand that he has a 36 year old future HOF QB still playing at a pretty high level and make some moves accordingly. It's starting to get extremely frustrating to me.

Yup. The whole point of this thing is to win titles. If you have to risk assets that might just end up being the next J'Mon Moore or Oren Burks anyway, you need to take those chances.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#38 » by MoMM » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:10 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Given Gute's drafting record I'm not all that thrilled with obtaining draft picks but I guess the more you have you might get lucky with some of them.

Maybe we can ask for some draft picks and let the other GM choose for us :laugh:
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#39 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I'm all for being smart and keeping one eye on the future but at some point Gutekunst has to understand that he has a 36 year old future HOF QB still playing at a pretty high level and make some moves accordingly. It's starting to get extremely frustrating to me.

Yeah not sure I agree.

Our offense seems to have more than enough talent to operate it. I mean Seattle is the only team that has played 6 games that has more points than us. Adding a tackle in the off season is looking like it was a good move.

Lots of guys stepped up, plus we have played games without Lazard, Davante and Jones. Not to mention Ervin and Degaura two role players.

So on defense, I'm not real happy with the D line moves, or lack there of, but it would appear they doubled down on being a team that plans to get ahead of their opponent and hope that takes our opponent out of the run game.

Our ILB position which was weakest on the team, looks like it is in competent hands between Barnes, Martin and Kirksey.

I guess it is hard for me to get frustrated when we have had so many guys step up into starter roles and look competent. Would love a big run stuffer for the playoffs though.

Thinking through it some more, I guess you might be getting at we have gotten zero production from our 1-4th round draft picks.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#40 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Packer fans will always pine for more moves but the reality of their cap/pending FA situation makes dealing for anyone not on a rookie or minimum deal a problem plus with the likely exodus of players this spring they will need picks.

Now I'm not opposed to a move but this is a good team as is.

Return to Green Bay Packers