ImageImage

Badgers Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2021 Badgers Football 

Post#81 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 am

He must’ve been pretty bad with the practice/discipline stuff as being hinted being the cause. Enjoy Rutgers, I guess. Hopefully Allen and Chez can get us to the finish line and hit the portal again.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#82 » by midranger » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:00 pm

What do we think the odds are of seeing allen back on defense next year?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#83 » by DrWood » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:55 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

The hell? Not surprising in that he was playing so little/sometimes not at all and you figured maybe something was going on, but surprising compared to where we were 6 months ago. I believe we're down 3 RBs now from the start of the season.

I wondered why he wasn't playing. It's not good when one of our more-highly rated recruits leaves the team. Of course, I don't know the reason.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#84 » by DrWood » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:14 am

The Badgers' Defense is 2nd in the NCAA in yards allowed. 1st in rushing yards allowed.
Their offense is 79th in yards/game.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm

DrWood wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

The hell? Not surprising in that he was playing so little/sometimes not at all and you figured maybe something was going on, but surprising compared to where we were 6 months ago. I believe we're down 3 RBs now from the start of the season.

I wondered why he wasn't playing. It's not good when one of our more-highly rated recruits leaves the team. Of course, I don't know the reason.

The reason which is being rumored and is pretty easy to believe is true is that he was not committed/missing practices/etc. and was given multiple chances to make it right.

It sucks but I guess it happens with huge rosters in college football. We'll see if Allen can turn into a stud, Chez is decent, Guerrendo is a serviceable player. They can hopefully get to the finish line and hit the transfer portal again if Allen goes to defense or isn't that guy.

The one thing I'll say is usually when we have our, "oh no, not him leaving!" about someone on the staff, because Wisconsin hires well on their staff and we lose a lot of guys we thought were important, was Saeed Khalif who was the recruiting director behind a bunch of highly rated recruiting classes...maybe it's not so bad he's gone now.

Obviously losing those other 2 RBs made headlines, but I think those are, "eh, whatever" guys that were not going to really make an impact, or didn't seem to be likely to, of course they could blossom elsewhere.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#86 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:58 pm

The biggest question at this point is does Wisconsin hit the transfer portal for QB this offseason?

Coan looked as bad as Mertz has...but it was for about 5 games. Then he turned into the best QB since Wilson or Tolzein.

Since Illinois, for Mertz, we're on like 10 games of this. I don't see it getting much better. The accuracy just isn't there. The decision making could improve a bit but still isn't going to be great. He could do without one or the other...without both, he's quite bad.

I guess while most have somewhat checked out for this season, we'll basically have a tryout. If he can show "Joel Stave production" (kill me) then I'm assuming we'll ride it out. But realistically we should be looking for a change, even knowing that other than the Russell Wilson miracle, it's no surprise that the only QB transfers that consider Wisconsin generally are even worse than junior year Mertz will be (DOB, Evridge).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#87 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:41 pm

I think it's tough to evaluate Mertz when the talent around him is the worst I've ever seen in a Badgers offense.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#88 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I think it's tough to evaluate Mertz when the talent around him is the worst I've ever seen in a Badgers offense.

We got to evaluate Hornibrook and Coan with…

Danny Davis, Pryor, and Ferguson.

Yes, Jonathan Taylor makes a big difference. This line seems pretty bad at pass block, “OK” (not a good thing for Wisconsin) to run the ball.

But all-in-all, we watched Coan and Horni hit the necessary 3rd down passes and only throw 1 or 2 picks (Horni) with the same cast of pass-catchers.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I think it's tough to evaluate Mertz when the talent around him is the worst I've ever seen in a Badgers offense.

Yes, Jonathan Taylor makes a big difference. This line seems pretty bad at pass block, “OK” (not a good thing for Wisconsin) to run the ball.

But all-in-all, we watched Coan and Horni hit the necessary 3rd down passes and only throw 1 or 2 picks (Horni) with the same cast of pass-catchers.

Having someone who's currently one of the NFL's best running backs is a pretty big factor. The offensive lines were also much better. Mertz has been bad, but he's getting literally no help.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#90 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Having someone who's currently one of the NFL's best running backs is a pretty big factor. The offensive lines were also much better. Mertz has been bad, but he's getting literally no help.

Well thankfully we've just unleashed a guy that looks like he has the juice to also be one of the NFL's best running backs (but is raw and is also 17 years old, if you hadn't heard).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:18 pm

Excited about Allen.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#92 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm

They absolutely have to hit the transfer portal for WR next year. It's gonna be Dike and...?

They keep recruiting these run-of-the-mill 6'0" guys with OK speed. Basically your standard WR3 on a better passing team...

It seems like other than Dike who would be fine as Wisconsin's WR2 or whatever...everyone else has busted.

There was some excitement about Markus Allen and Skyler Bell as recruits so maybe those guys just buried behind RS seniors and are the heirs to the throne of, "eh, fine" Wisconsin WRs.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#93 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 pm

Speaking of the WRs, Devin Chandler is transferring.

I see both sides of it...

He's saying even though he'd be in line for a starting WR role next year, he doesn't think he'll be utilized. I do think there is minimal creativity right now in the offense.

On the other hand, he cites that there are a bunch of guys that can "straight up make plays" in the WR room. Alright then, guys...I realize you aren't getting a ton of opportunities...Davis has made a few nice catches, Pryor is an OK player...how about all of these guys make some plays?
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#94 » by sdn40 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Zero identity on offense.
At the pinnacle it was: our OL is better than your DL, our RB's are elite, say hello to some jet sweeps, our QB won't make mistakes, and if he does drop back to pass the defense is like I give up.
Now they have : zero
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#95 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:41 am

How are the Badgers 3 point favorites at Purdue
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#96 » by midranger » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Well thankfully we've just unleashed a guy that looks like he has the juice to also be one of the NFL's best running backs (but is raw and is also 17 years old, if you hadn't heard).

He’s looked good, but does he stay on offense if we get another good back or two?

At 6’2 (as a 17 year old, could grow more), 240 lb, there aren’t many NFL back comps outside of Henry.

Looks like he could be Khalil Mack if they moved him back to D.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#97 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:24 pm

midranger wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

He’s looked good, but does he stay on offense if we get another good back or two?

At 6’2 (as a 17 year old, could grow more), 240 lb, there aren’t many NFL back comps outside of Henry.

Looks like he could be Khalil Mack if they moved him back to D.

Yeah it's hard to say. All along I assumed he was going back to RB but if he does light the world on fire here I wonder if they just won't send him back.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#98 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Watching some Wake vs Army.

Positive: it is not embarrassing at all to have a close game with Army.

Negative: we were told the way to beat Army was through the air. Mertz sucks, Davis and Pryor are just average players. Wake is potentially going to win this game 70-63.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#99 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Green Bay Packers