Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,793

Re: 2023 Badgers Football - Spring Practices 

Post#1061 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 17, 2023 1:05 am

Read on Twitter

D-II first team all american as a sophomore. Badgers have been looking for a CB in the transfer portal. This one is funny because literally one week ago he posted this:

Read on Twitter

LMAO
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#1062 » by midranger » Wed May 17, 2023 1:18 am

Great get
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1063 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 22, 2023 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

6'4", fast, strong as ****, and still learning. Have to be excited about this kid.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1064 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 23, 2023 6:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

6'4", fast, strong as ****, and still learning. Have to be excited about this kid.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,960

Post#1065 » by MickeyDavis » Tue May 23, 2023 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,258

Post#1066 » by Matches Malone » Sat May 27, 2023 12:09 am

Got us an Aussie punter

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,960

Post#1067 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#1068 » by MVP2110 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:58 am

Badgers missed out on Roy. Meaning Wisconsin has now missed on the top 4 in state guys this cycle. There might be individual reasons for each but as a whole it is a very disappointing showing for Fickell's 1st attempt at Wisconsin recruiting.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Badgers missed out on Roy. Meaning Wisconsin has now missed on the top 4 in state guys this cycle. There might be individual reasons for each but as a whole it is a very disappointing showing for Fickell's 1st attempt at Wisconsin recruiting.

Yeah, we're gonna have to see. One thing, given that 2 of the 4 guys that got away were OL is that I'm not sure building a wall around the state has been as big of a deal in that regard lately?

One interesting thing that has been brewing in my mind watching over the years so I looked: We have actually not had the greatest OL prospects the past 2-3 years and only OK (interior-heavy) basically since Chryst came on.

Tippmann 2023, Van Lanen 2021 (WI), Biadasz 2020 (WI), Deiter 2019, Edwards 2019, Benzschawel 2019 (WI), Marz 2019, Ramczyk 2017 (WI), Havenstein 2015, Wagner 2013 (WI), Frederick 2013 (WI), Konz 2012 (WI), Zeitler 2012 (WI), Carimi 2011, Moffit 2011, Nagy 2011, Urbik 2010, Thomas 2007 (WI)

So despite being absolutely loaded with 4/5-star OL since the 2019 recruiting class, they've had 2 guys drafted since 2019. Much of the recent stud OL 4/5 star recruits have been from WI and the others were Rucci/Brown who didn't do much (so far for Rucci). The wall around the state hasn't been that helpful of late. The guys that ended up being good were either from out of state or unheralded 3-star guys on the line.

Now, several of the guys in the 2019-2022 classes might get drafted? But the line was kinda **** and they had to go out and get transfer depth so I'm not sure how good it really has been.

;tldr - Specifically to OL but honestly for everything...Chryst had a wall up on the top recruits from 2015 to 2022 (2016 excluded) and...did it do that much?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1070 » by MVP2110 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:04 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Badgers missed out on Roy. Meaning Wisconsin has now missed on the top 4 in state guys this cycle. There might be individual reasons for each but as a whole it is a very disappointing showing for Fickell's 1st attempt at Wisconsin recruiting.

Yeah, we're gonna have to see. One thing, given that 2 of the 4 guys that got away were OL is that I'm not sure building a wall around the state has been as big of a deal in that regard lately?

One interesting thing that has been brewing in my mind watching over the years so I looked: We have actually not had the greatest OL prospects the past 2-3 years and only OK (interior-heavy) basically since Chryst came on.

Tippmann 2023, Van Lanen 2021 (WI), Biadasz 2020 (WI), Deiter 2019, Edwards 2019, Benzschawel 2019 (WI), Marz 2019, Ramczyk 2017 (WI), Havenstein 2015, Wagner 2013 (WI), Frederick 2013 (WI), Konz 2012 (WI), Zeitler 2012 (WI), Carimi 2011, Moffit 2011, Nagy 2011, Urbik 2010, Thomas 2007 (WI)

So despite being absolutely loaded with 4/5-star OL since the 2019 recruiting class, they've had 2 guys drafted since 2019. Much of the recent stud OL 4/5 star recruits have been from WI and the others were Rucci/Brown who didn't do much (so far for Rucci). The wall around the state hasn't been that helpful of late. The guys that ended up being good were either from out of state or unheralded 3-star guys on the line.

Now, several of the guys in the 2019-2022 classes might get drafted? But the line was kinda **** and they had to go out and get transfer depth so I'm not sure how good it really has been.

;tldr - Specifically to OL but honestly for everything...Chryst had a wall up on the top recruits from 2015 to 2022 (2016 excluded) and...did it do that much?

I mean Chryst won roughly 70% of his games, won 2 NY6 Bowls and got to a 3rd. Obviously we want an even higher ceiling and Chryst had taken a step back in recent seasons but Fickell came in and stated that getting the top guys from the state was important. You are right that 3 of the top 4 are OL guys so it's possible that maybe Olineman are skeptical of our new scheme that is supposed to be great for QBs and WRs but maybe not for OL
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1071 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:13 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I mean Chryst won roughly 70% of his games, won 2 NY6 Bowls and got to a 3rd. Obviously we want an even higher ceiling and Chryst had taken a step back in recent seasons but Fickell came in and stated that getting the top guys from the state was important. You are right that 3 of the top 4 are OL guys so it's possible that maybe Olineman are skeptical of our new scheme that is supposed to be great for QBs and WRs but maybe not for OL

Read the last dozen pages. I'm with you on an island of the, "careful what you wish for/expectations of run-and-gun may be too high" on Fickell. I'm the original "Wisconsin Way" stan and have been basically stanning for Chryst/Gard and the previous regimes since I've been on here. I'm excited for Fickell but I'm expecting more 9-3, not routine 11-1 like others are with the new hype machine.

But the in-state top recruits that we've netted have not been a great bunch over the past decade other than basically the 2021 group. The only times that we've had truly great players that were top 5 in-state rated were guys like Baun, Benton, Chenal and they were top 5 in-state because the classes sucked. Most of those guys were all not in the top 1000 nationally and were not being courted by Penn State, Notre Dame, or Ohio State like most that we've recently lost.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1072 » by MVP2110 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:43 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Read the last dozen pages. I'm with you on an island of the, "careful what you wish for/expectations of run-and-gun may be too high" on Fickell. I'm the original "Wisconsin Way" stan and have been basically stanning for Chryst/Gard and the previous regimes since I've been on here. I'm excited for Fickell but I'm expecting more 9-3, not routine 11-1 like others are with the new hype machine.

But the in-state top recruits that we've netted have not been a great bunch over the past decade other than basically the 2021 group. The only times that we've had truly great players that were top 5 in-state rated were guys like Baun, Benton, Chenal and they were top 5 in-state because the classes sucked. Most of those guys were all not in the top 1000 nationally and were not being courted by Penn State, Notre Dame, or Ohio State like most that we've recently lost.

I think we're mainly on the same page for expectations under Fickell. That said I think in state recruiting has been a big reason for our success. Guys like Braelon Allen, Hunter Wohler, Jack Nelson, Chimere Dike, Jake Ferguson, Leo Chenal, Logan Bruss, Cole Van Lanen, Keannu Benton. It's also worth noting we missed on a few key guys that would have helped like Will McDonald & Ben Bredeson. Recruiting can't be completely Wisconsin guys but we should be able to keep most of the top prospects here I would hope
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1073 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:00 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I think we're mainly on the same page for expectations under Fickell. That said I think in state recruiting has been a big reason for our success. Guys like Braelon Allen, Hunter Wohler, Jack Nelson, Chimere Dike, Jake Ferguson, Leo Chenal, Logan Bruss, Cole Van Lanen, Keannu Benton. It's also worth noting we missed on a few key guys that would have helped like Will McDonald & Ben Bredeson. Recruiting can't be completely Wisconsin guys but we should be able to keep most of the top prospects here I would hope

Yeah, exactly. So if the Badgers want to grab another Dike, Chenal, Ferguson, or Benton it appears there's still another guy out there ranked around #800 nationally that we'd have to fight with Iowa/Nebraska types for among the other guys in those categories that we've gotten.

They probably lost out on McDonald because they had higher ranked Dietzen and Sampson.

I'm a bit facetious here because obviously I'm a numbers guy that believes the more 4 and 5-star players you throw on a roster, the more high end talent that will stick - but over the past decade, the helmet school talent we've kept in state + the other priority top 300ish guys have amounted to jack **** overall...or there simply haven't been many and if there were more, we'd have been more likely to see them bolt. We'll see how future classes go but maybe they really liked Jensen over Sexton and Harbour.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1074 » by MVP2110 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:02 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Yeah, exactly. So if the Badgers want to grab another Dike, Chenal, Ferguson, or Benton it appears there's still another guy out there ranked around #800 nationally that we'd have to fight with Iowa/Nebraska types for among the other guys in those categories that we've gotten.

They probably lost out on McDonald because they had higher ranked Dietzen and Sampson.

I'm a bit facetious here because obviously I'm a numbers guy that believes the more 4 and 5-star players you throw on a roster, the more high end talent that will stick - but over the past decade, the helmet school talent we've kept in state + the other priority top 300ish guys have amounted to jack **** overall. We'll see how future classes go but maybe they really liked Jensen over Sexton and Harbour.

Except they are reportedly looking for atleast 3 OL this class so no reason they could have gotten all 3. I mean the studies aren't that hard to find that show that the higher rated talent you have in recruiting = more wins. The correlation is pretty clear. I am hopeful this is a one off for Fickell and that he'll grab some good out of state talent but it is disappointing
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1075 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:12 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I'm a bit facetious here because obviously I'm a numbers guy that believes the more 4 and 5-star players you throw on a roster, the more high end talent that will stick - but over the past decade, the helmet school talent we've kept in state + the other priority top 300ish guys have amounted to jack **** overall. We'll see how future classes go but maybe they really liked Jensen over Sexton and Harbour.

Except they are reportedly looking for atleast 3 OL this class so no reason they could have gotten all 3. I mean the studies aren't that hard to find that show that the higher rated talent you have in recruiting = more wins. The correlation is pretty clear. I am hopeful this is a one off for Fickell and that he'll grab some good out of state talent but it is disappointing

I literally said that, yes, more star talent is better. I'm sure they'll replace it with some out-of-state talent whether they were spurned by the recruits or just had other ideas.

I'm just saying that we've had a bunch of busts on the OL as the high-end guys we've kept in state over the past decade. I'm sure that is somewhat fluky...but maybe not in this case. By "bust" they may even be contributors but we did better with OL success with middling 3-star guys that ND/OSU/PSU weren't really interested in.

The OL has been lowkey bad for 3-4 years and that happens to be the only period they actually did keep most of the higher-end OL in state and added 2 5-star out of state guys.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,570

Post#1076 » by TroyD92 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:13 pm

I'd prefer the Badgers focus on the Chicago area. It should be considered instate recruiting with ND and Illinois similar distances.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1077 » by MVP2110 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:11 am

Sounds like the Badgers are closing in on another commit. Sounds like it'll be 3 star OL Kevin Heywood from Pennsylvania. Most places had predicted him to go to Penn St but they now have 4 OL in this class. Also had offers from USC & Auburn
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1078 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:42 am

MVP2110 wrote:Sounds like the Badgers are closing in on another commit. Sounds like it'll be 3 star OL Kevin Heywood from Pennsylvania. Most places had predicted him to go to Penn St but they now have 4 OL in this class. Also had offers from USC & Auburn

Probably not all commitable, but he has an offer from essentially every helmet school.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1079 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 4, 2023 10:31 pm

We have a bat signal.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod