ImageImage

Divisional Round Leadup - 49ers - Saturday 7:15

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

th87
General Manager
And1: 9,512

Re: Divisional Round Leadup - 49ers - Saturday 7:15 

Post#21 » by th87 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 am

RRyder823 wrote:Ehhhh. Some can act like we didn't beat them earlier in the year and that this is a just as bad a matchup as it gets but you don't get no gimmies at this point in the playoffs.

Each team still playing is a legit threat and poses its own matchup issues.

Rams would be Donald destroying our line.

Cards would be look how running QBs always burn us.

TB is look at last year

SF is simply our D struggles stopping the run.

All that is true but the point remains is the Packers are simply the more talented team. (3-0 against the remains NFC teams this year.) That doesn't necessarily mean victory is a given in the NFL POs so let's just hope GB comes to play strong.... Cause if they do no team in the NFC is stopping them

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Beat the Giants in the 2011 (and 2007) regular season too.

Rams, Cards, and Cowboys (who could've knocked out the Bucs) are soft. Would've loved a Rams-Cowbows path.

Now instead will get the worst matchup against a team who owns us in the playoffs whose style is uniquely equipped to beat us, and if we win, we get to battle the refs and Brady together.

I guess if we do prevail, it'll be an amazing story, but my blood pressure went way up following this weekend.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#22 » by DrWood » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 am

th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Ehhhh. Some can act like we didn't beat them earlier in the year and that this is a just as bad a matchup as it gets but you don't get no gimmies at this point in the playoffs.

TB is look at last year

All that is true but the point remains is the Packers are simply the more talented team. (3-0 against the remains NFC teams this year.) That doesn't necessarily mean victory is a given in the NFL POs so let's just hope GB comes to play strong.... Cause if they do no team in the NFC is stopping them

Rams, Cards, and Cowboys (who could've knocked out the Bucs) are soft. Would've loved a Rams-Cowbows path.

Now instead will get the worst matchup against a team who owns us in the playoffs whose style is uniquely equipped to beat us, and if we win, we get to battle the refs and Brady together.

I guess if we do prevail, it'll be an amazing story, but my blood pressure went way up following this weekend.

if you believe all that, seems like you can make a lot of money betting on it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#23 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:11 am

th87 wrote:

TB is look at last year

Once again.... Ehhhhhh

Ain't no gimmies this far in and everyone is a tough out.

And no. No team left is "soft".

LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#24 » by LikeABosh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm

th87 wrote:Stop me if you've heard this one before -

Packers at home with Rodgers as the likely MVP, coming in well-rested by clinching a 1 seed very early, facing a gritty power team with a strong defensive line, weak secondary, and shaky QB, who lost to the Packers on a Crosby walk-off FG earlier in the year, and who just snuck into the playoffs because a division rival wasn't able to finish them off.

So I hate this matchup.

Ok but do you hate this match up for any real football reasons?
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#25 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:07 pm

I can't wait until online betting is legal everywhere. At that point, everyone who makes gloom and doom predictions that go against Vegas odds should be required to post screen shots if they're so confident.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#26 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:56 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I can't wait until online betting is legal everywhere. At that point, everyone who makes gloom and doom predictions that go against Vegas odds should be required to post screen shots if they're so confident.

The thing is, this is happening on both sides.

Put me in the camp of people that's worried about SF pounding us to death now that they've got Mitchell back and have unlocked Deebo. Kittle was playing hurt early on, Aiyuk was MIA at that point.

So while some people on here are yelling down th87 for saying he's afraid of the 49ers and therefore bet them to crush Vegas...

...I've got some friends right now texting around a reddit discussion, "lol, we should be scared of the 49ers? Remember when we crushed them in September but the score was closer than it looked?"

"The Packers are only favored by 3.5 right now as a 13-4 team against a team that went 10-7." Sagarin has these teams essentially even, though.

This is also terrible analysis and I would tell those guys to bet their house on Packers -3.5 or simply just take ML if they're so confident about that.

Both sides are doing this. I agree that the spread is spot on because I'm a Vegas/analytics/Sagarin/DVOA/etc. truster. The fact that we are playing the 6 seed that we don't match up with that well in certain ways still scares me, even if I may agree that we've got a 55% or so chance of winning at home.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#27 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm

LikeABosh wrote:

Packers at home with Rodgers as the likely MVP, coming in well-rested by clinching a 1 seed very early, facing a gritty power team with a strong defensive line, weak secondary, and shaky QB, who lost to the Packers on a Crosby walk-off FG earlier in the year, and who just snuck into the playoffs because a division rival wasn't able to finish them off.

So I hate this matchup.

Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell...is going to be tough as hell to stop in the cold.

No, I am not suggesting we are automatically going to lose but they can move the ball, scares me a bit. I agree with some others I would've preferred to see Stafford not able to keep pace with Rodgers, but whatever...let's get this W.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#28 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Bosa will be out of concussion protocol absolutely
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#29 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:31 pm

th87 wrote:

TB is look at last year

I have a feeling GB is going to be very physical with the 49ers as we saw in the first matchup.

Refs gifted SF a 3rd and 14 conversion on a phantom call on Stokes..

GB just needs to not commit turnovers and penalties. Come out sharp and score early. Putting pressure on Jimmy to throw has to be the objective.

And Aaron Jones may not have a great game but Dillon is built to go at a front like that... plus we've got reinforcements on our OL. Bakhtiari is huge... and shockingly Yosh played great in the first game. Bosa didn't kill us. Armstead had a sack.

At home on the frozen tundra gives our OL an advantage.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#30 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:31 pm

Maybe it’s my age and the Bucks postseason run but I’ve changed my perspective on post season play. I’m going to enjoy this. It’s the playoffs, nothing is going to come easy. What I believe isn’t going to affect the outcome. Packers are coming off rest, got some key guys back, and are playing at home. I’ll take my chances against any NFC team. Oh, and they have Aaron Rodgers.

Besides I’m already looking ahead to Buffalo in the Super Bowl. :wink:
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#31 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:31 pm

I wouldn't say I'm 'scared' of the 49ers solely due to the fact Jimmy G is their QB.

As long as the D doesn't get ran over I think the Packers will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,766

Post#32 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 pm

Jimmy G was throwing ducks yesterday in perfect conditions not sure hes gonna be able to do much when the weather is in the teens saturday night.
kaulkhara15
Starter
And1: 676

Post#33 » by kaulkhara15 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:30 pm

I think we absolutely have to get off to a fast start in this game. Make them play from behind.
th87
General Manager

Post#34 » by th87 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 pm

LikeABosh wrote:

So I hate this matchup.

See second post
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#35 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 am

kaulkhara15 wrote:I think we absolutely have to get off to a fast start in this game. Make them play from behind.

The more Jimmy has to throw on his bad thumb and sore shoulder, the better
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,988

Post#36 » by Daver » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:35 am

Think if theres one team besides the packers that can beat the bucs its the rams
th87
General Manager

Post#37 » by th87 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:50 am

Mags FTW wrote:I can't wait until online betting is legal everywhere. At that point, everyone who makes gloom and doom predictions that go against Vegas odds should be required to post screen shots if they're so confident.

Well, I bet 49ers on the ML when they were down 17 to the Rams, and bet them again against Dallas. Screenshots if requested.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#38 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 am

th87 wrote:

Well, I bet 49ers on the ML when they were down 17 to the Rams, and bet them again against Dallas. Screenshots if requested.
Yeah well I had them on the money line against Dallas parlayed with the under...... Still placed more money on GB to win the SB at +375

th87
General Manager

Post#39 » by th87 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:02 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:

The thing is, this is happening on both sides.

Put me in the camp of people that's worried about SF pounding us to death now that they've got Mitchell back and have unlocked Deebo. Kittle was playing hurt early on, Aiyuk was MIA at that point.

So while some people on here are yelling down th87 for saying he's afraid of the 49ers and therefore bet them to crush Vegas...

...I've got some friends right now texting around a reddit discussion, "lol, we should be scared of the 49ers? Remember when we crushed them in September but the score was closer than it looked?"

"The Packers are only favored by 3.5 right now as a 13-4 team against a team that went 10-7." Sagarin has these teams essentially even, though.

This is also terrible analysis and I would tell those guys to bet their house on Packers -3.5 or simply just take ML if they're so confident about that.

Both sides are doing this. I agree that the spread is spot on because I'm a Vegas/analytics/Sagarin/DVOA/etc. truster. The fact that we are playing the 6 seed that we don't match up with that well in certain ways still scares me, even if I may agree that we've got a 55% or so chance of winning at home.

Exactly. I'm not saying we can't win (far from it), but our margin for error to win is probably a lot lower than if we played the Rams, and so I would've preferred to play them.

Innovative power rushing attacks with capable RBs give our defense trouble more than anything else. A powerful defensive line able to generate pressure rushing only 4 gives the offense trouble. The 49ers happen to have both.

Now if we manage to contain the run (a lot better than in 2019), and can protect Rodgers so he can find the holes in their secondary, I feel good about our chances.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#40 » by WRau1 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Our patchwork line has held up against some of the best defensive lines all season, I feel pretty confident in them.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz

Return to Green Bay Packers