Divisional Round Leadup - 49ers - Saturday 7:15

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Divisional Round Leadup - 49ers - Saturday 7:15 

Post#81 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 pm

crkone wrote:
I don't know if I'd put Jaire in the slot where he'd be in the box quite a bit with that AC Joint issue.

Given how long he has been out in terms of conditioning, and the fact I don't think Stokes or Douglas can play in the slot, that is where I put him. You are asking him to be an upgrade over Sullivan, which I think is a lock.

I do agree there is concern for him being targeted in the run game, but I could see him mostly playing on obvious passing downs and not on early downs. There is no way he's going to play full snaps.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,526

Post#82 » by th87 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 am

LikeABosh wrote:
Daver wrote:Packers built their D ass backwards while most teams like to have a dominant fron 4 (rams bucs niners) the packers chose to try n make a shutdown secondary first which makes no sence.
A great front 4 can make the LBs n DBs look so much better

Huh? We have an elite pass rush (when healthy) and elite starting corners. That's absolutely the way you start building a defense

We've always been pretty solid in that regard, with Clay, Peppers, Daniels, Tramon, Shields, etc.

But the defense has always been less than the sum of its parts because of the complete neglect of ILB. It's inexplicable. It's telling that the defense improved greatly in 2014 when a capable player (Matthews) filled in. Also telling that the defense is far better now than in years past because of Campbell.

The 49ers are always solid defensively because of how strong their linebackers are. Warner, Greenlaw, Borland, Bowman, Willis, etc. We have any one of those guys, and I bet Kaepernick and Mostert don't set records that will never be broken.

I will never understand how TT thought it was okay to roll with Hawk, Martinez, Ryan, etc.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,993

Post#83 » by Daver » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 am

th87 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
Daver wrote:Packers built their D ass backwards while most teams like to have a dominant fron 4 (rams bucs niners) the packers chose to try n make a shutdown secondary first which makes no sence.

Huh? We have an elite pass rush (when healthy) and elite starting corners. That's absolutely the way you start building a defense

We've always been pretty solid in that regard, with Clay, Peppers, Daniels, Tramon, Shields, etc.

But the defense has always been less than the sum of its parts because of the complete neglect of ILB. It's inexplicable. It's telling that the defense improved greatly in 2014 when a capable player (Matthews) filled in. Also telling that the defense is far better now than in years past because of Campbell.

The 49ers are always solid defensively because of how strong their linebackers are. Warner, Greenlaw, Borland, Bowman, Willis, etc. We have any one of those guys, and I bet Kaepernick and Mostert don't set records that will never be broken.

I will never understand how TT thought it was okay to roll with Hawk, Martinez, Ryan, etc.

Great post but i also think our dline has been igmored to gow good would our D be if we had someone with a pulse next to clark.A quality front 4 makes the LBd n DBs look alot better
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#84 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:21 am

Daver wrote:
th87 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

Great post but i also think our dline has been igmored to gow good would our D be if we had someone with a pulse next to clark.A quality front 4 makes the LBd n DBs look alot better

I'm guessing you mean our 3-4 defensive ends because our front 4 in our sub packages is very good (usually some combination of Clark/Gary/Smiths). Our base package doe suck tho (when we need to use 2 of Lowry/Lancaster/Slaton). I think we correctly spent most of our capital on the more important positions (edge and corner), but an improvement on the inside is sorely needed. A total negative at any position is too exploitable.
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#85 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:43 am

th87 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

There were some years where Capers seemed to favor a lot 4-2-5 packages which means we had two ILB's out there. So not only did we have to put up with Hawk and Martinez, we had to pair them with an even **** linebacker like Brad Jones. Krys Barnes isn't great, but fortunately he only plays half the snaps (Brad Jones played 72% in 2013 for example).

But I wouldn't blame that position for every year our defense underperformed. Our **** secondary was obviously the bigger issue in 2016 for instance. 2018 we basically we had no talent anywhere except for a rookie Jaire and Clark. 2014 tho? Yeah, we probably win a title if we actually had a competent ILB. Maybe someone who could at least read a fake FG
Daver
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by Daver » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:01 am

LikeABosh wrote:
th87 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

There were some years where Capers seemed to favor a lot 4-2-5 packages which means we had two ILB's out there. So not only did we have to put up with Hawk and Martinez, we had to pair them with an even **** linebacker like Brad Jones. Krys Barnes isn't great, but fortunately he only plays half the snaps (Brad Jones played 72% in 2013 for example).

But I wouldn't blame that position for every year our defense underperformed. Our **** secondary was obviously the bigger issue in 2016 for instance. 2018 we basically we had no talent anywhere except for a rookie Jaire and Clark. 2014 tho? Yeah, we probably win a title if we actually had a competent ILB. Maybe someone who could at least read a fake FG

I just dont understand why after 18 weeks our edge guys n our LBs contiue to be undisciplined in the run game.
Game after game i hear announcers critsizing the packer D for constantly losing containment n watching another RB hit the edges for big gains.
Week after week its the same never have seemed to improve in that area.I dont get it ravens browns 2 examples.
Guys on the NFL network mentioned low football IQ as it continues to happen every game
th87
General Manager

Post#87 » by th87 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:26 am

LikeABosh wrote:
th87 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

Yeah reliance on Brad Jones is absolutely insane. He was a steal as a 7th(?) rounder, but couldn't be relied upon for serious work.

Agree there were lots of issues in the 2010s, with ILB weaknesses being even more compounded by playing MD Jennings and Ladarius Gunter as starters. Looking back, those defenses had no chance as the talent erosion was severe, and TT was content giving long tryouts to late round picks.
th87
General Manager

Post#88 » by th87 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 am

Daver wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
th87 wrote:

I just dont understand why after 18 weeks our edge guys n our LBs contiue to be undisciplined in the run game.
Game after game i hear announcers critsizing the packer D for constantly losing containment n watching another RB hit the edges for big gains.
Week after week its the same never have seemed to improve in that area.I dont get it ravens browns 2 examples.
Guys on the NFL network mentioned low football IQ as it continues to happen every game

Yeah, I'm not sure how they just forget. And then keep falling for the same thing over and over. One positive is that they were really good against Dalvin Cook in Week 17. Maybe that can translate.
Daver
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Daver » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm

th87 wrote:
Daver wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure how they just forget. And then keep falling for the same thing over and over. One positive is that they were really good against Dalvin Cook in Week 17. Maybe that can translate.

Well of course they were no cousins no theilan a back up QB im not even counting that game.Cook was their only weapon
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#90 » by raysbookclub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Agreeing on the ILB nastiness over the last 10 years, aside from Clay in the second half of 2014. Tellingly, Seattle came back in the NFCC after Clay went out; I think he missed the last 3 series, including OT, all scoring drives. Granted, Julius should not have told Morgan Burnett to slide down, Bostick should have listened to the ST coach and blocked for Jordy, and ST should not allowed that fake FG TD. But I think with Clay in there, the D would have held.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#91 » by raysbookclub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm

Watched 1995 and 1996 Packers vs 49ers playoff highlights last night to get pumped. So awesome. Wayne Simmons with the opening forced fumble for Craig Newsome to scoop and score. Desmond Howard scampering for a punt return TD and a 5-yards-away-from-TD return on the next punt.

And one of the most aesthetically beautiful Packer images for me has always been Edgar Bennett with his high knees chopping away running through the mud. 1996's game was full of that...

Other beautiful Packer images: Ahman Green with his head-forward, full-speed little shimmies and changes of direction, gliding over the grass, then breaking into a long, smooth sprint. Jordy letting his body fall over the sideline, with two feet down, hands securing the catch. Micah Hyde that one time, diving with a backhand baseball scoop and intercepting a ball before it hits the ground. Sterling Sharpe doing basically anything on the field lol. Rodgers' high and deep Hail Mary balls.

Let's go Packers!!!!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#92 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm

raysbookclub wrote:Watched 1995 and 1996 Packers vs 49ers playoff highlights last night to get pumped. So awesome. Wayne Simmons with the opening forced fumble for Craig Newsome to scoop and score. Desmond Howard scampering for a punt return TD and a 5-yards-away-from-TD return on the next punt.

And one of the most aesthetically beautiful Packer images for me has always been Edgar Bennett with his high knees chopping away running through the mud. 1996's game was full of that...

Other beautiful Packer images: Ahman Green with his head-forward, full-speed little shimmies and changes of direction, gliding over the grass, then breaking into a long, smooth sprint. Jordy letting his body fall over the sideline, with two feet down, hands securing the catch. Micah Hyde that one time, diving with a backhand baseball scoop and intercepting a ball before it hits the ground. Sterling Sharpe doing basically anything on the field lol. Rodgers' high and deep Hail Mary balls.

Let's go Packers!!!!
I was a teenager for these and that Newsom TD still ranks as one of my favorite packer memories.

For the younger crowd Wayne Simmons was a nasty MFer.

Oh and Jerry rice absolutely fumbled and the pack got absolutely screwed in the 1999 game.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#93 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
crkone wrote:
I don't know if I'd put Jaire in the slot where he'd be in the box quite a bit with that AC Joint issue.

Given how long he has been out in terms of conditioning, and the fact I don't think Stokes or Douglas can play in the slot, that is where I put him. You are asking him to be an upgrade over Sullivan, which I think is a lock.

I do agree there is concern for him being targeted in the run game, but I could see him mostly playing on obvious passing downs and not on early downs. There is no way he's going to play full snaps.

I mean, he has been out a full four months, if they don't feel like he can play why in the world didn't they put him on the IR. At some point he has to play or shut him down.

I've always been fascinated at the idea of him in the slot, especially because I think Douglas and Stokes on the outside are really solid on the outside already. And Alexander in the slot would just be a massive upgrade to our defense. Kind of exciting picturing a;

Douglas Amos Savage Alexander Stokes
Gary Z'darius Campbell Preston
Lowry Clark Heflin

That defense could cause a lot of problems, probably but Barnes in for running downs and Mercilus rotate at the outside as well.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#94 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:58 pm

th87 wrote:
Daver wrote:

Is it a OLB thing or is it a Preston Smith thing? I'd say Gary seems to contain very well.

Preston just doesn't seem like a high IQ / assignment sure guy. Maybe we find the right balance between him and Mercilus over these playoffs.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#95 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:06 pm

M-C-G wrote:
th87 wrote:
Daver wrote:

Is it a OLB thing or is it a Preston Smith thing? I'd say Gary seems to contain very well.

Preston just doesn't seem like a high IQ / assignment sure guy. Maybe we find the right balance between him and Mercilus over these playoffs.
From my untrained eye I thought it more the backups that had issues containing the edge.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#96 » by crkone » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 pm

M-C-G wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:
crkone wrote:

I mean, he has been out a full four months, if they don't feel like he can play why in the world didn't they put him on the IR. At some point he has to play or shut him down.

I've always been fascinated at the idea of him in the slot, especially because I think Douglas and Stokes on the outside are really solid on the outside already. And Alexander in the slot would just be a massive upgrade to our defense. Kind of exciting picturing a;

Douglas Amos Savage Alexander Stokes
Gary Z'darius Campbell Preston
Lowry Clark Heflin

That defense could cause a lot of problems, probably but Barnes in for running downs and Mercilus rotate at the outside as well.

As far as AC injuries go it was a pretty serious one. Recovery after surgery for it is usually a 4-6 month thing and he didn't even have surgery. He also STILL is listed as questionable. I'm thinking it was a coin flip if he wanted surgery or not.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#97 » by TroyD92 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Also untrained eye, but there's a noticeable drop when Gary is out. In all aspects.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#98 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:03 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Also untrained eye, but there's a noticeable drop when Gary is out. In all aspects.

And PFF agrees with you fwiw. By far our highest graded defensive player and 2nd only to Adams on the team
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#99 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:16 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:Also untrained eye, but there's a noticeable drop when Gary is out. In all aspects.

And PFF agrees with you fwiw. By far our highest graded defensive player and 2nd only to Adams on the team

What's crazy is that he didn't even make the 'leap' this year. He definitely still has another level as a pass rusher to get to, he is a guy I would be locking into a long term deal before he makes that jump.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#100 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:20 pm

M-C-G wrote:
What's crazy is that he didn't even make the 'leap' this year. He definitely still has another level as a pass rusher to get to, he is a guy I would be locking into a long term deal before he makes that jump.

Yep, I think he ends up a 15+ sack guy with a high-pressure rate that isn't a liability against the run.

Return to Green Bay Packers