Walker barely was the field his first couple
seasons before he became a rotational
player in 2020 and a starter in 2021. He was
utilized in a blitz heavy role. He was even
capable enough in that regard that Walker
was trusted as a true edge player in certain
packages. He has the kind of length that
can drop down and set the edge in a
pinch. While he doesn't have a ton of highend plays on tape, Walker didn't take a lot
of downgrades either. His 42 downgraded
plays in 2021 were the third-fewest of any
FBS linebacker that played 800+ snaps.

PROS
One of the best tacklers in the class. Traits to
continue in the NFL.
Ø Smooth explosiveness. Moves like a slot corner,
but at 240+ pounds.
Ø Length to give tight ends fits. Had a passbreakup on Treylon Burks

CONS
v Reactive, not proactive player. Has to see it to
attack it.
v Feet can get heavy mirroring laterally. Not
always on balance.
v Not a downhill player in the run game. Only
solo one tackle for loss in 2021 and was only -1
yard.

Walker has that unique ability to show off high end athleticism consistently without ever looking
reckless. He knows when he needs to turn it on and when to be patient with it.
CONTROLLED PHYSICALITY

Ideally you want Walker blitzing or playing man coverage. Just let his physical tools take over
and he's a problem for opposing offenses.
MAN-HEAVY LB

It's not a processing speed problem with Walker on tape, but rather knowing consistently what's
coming next. With only one-year as a starter, though, there's reason to believe that will come in
time.

Bottom Line
There's a lot of reasons to think Walker could be a more impactful NFL
player than college player. He's a 3-down player.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Re: #22 - Quay Walker - LB - Georgia 

Post#83 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#84 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:46 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

There is a lot to like about this guy, seems like he might be a hidden gem on that Georgia defense.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#85 » by Treebeard » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

There is a lot to like about this guy, seems like he might be a hidden gem on that Georgia defense.

:o :o :o I know that's only one play, but Neal's very good and 335+ lbs. That's a lot of mass to toss about
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,457

Post#86 » by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:53 pm

Ian Rappaport was on Mcafee and said Quay Walker was also in that Travon Walker car accident.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,766

Post#87 » by ReginaldDwight » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:39 pm

Walker looks absurdly promising to me, he stood out in the title game. We dont need him to be a star just a solid ILB.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#88 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:40 pm

I don't know enough about any prospects to have an educated opinion but I like big and fast so that's cool. Hope they get creative with his usage, if you take a ILB this early you better be.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,954

Post#89 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:10 pm

This should make you happy:

It’s easy (and fun) to clown on the Packers for not selecting a wide receiver to offset Sir Moans A lot. But at this spot on the board, there was little value in the receiver class. There are lots of targets the Packers can look at one day two that would have constituted a reach had they grabbed one in this spot.

Adding Walker to a linebacker corps featuring De’Vondre Campbell is flat-out unfair. Walker has the potential to be the steal of the draft. In the course of the nation’s love affair with teammate Nakobe Dean, Quay Walker was too often lost in the shuffle. He was the second rank corner on my board, ahead of Dean, who slipped out of the first round altogether.

The pre-draft question with Walker was whether or not a team would correctly identify his role. Among this year’s linebackers, he is as gifted in an off-ball, coverage, keep-me-clean prospect as there is. In that role, he has the potential to be a star.

And it’s just that role that the Packers have selected Walker to play. It’s the style they embraced with De’Vondre Campbell, who went from free agent afterthought to destroyer of worlds in a Green Bay system that asked him to play see-ball-get-ball football from depth, rather than attacking the line of scrimmage as a pulling-guard-detonator.

Georgia used Walker as their space eradicator, sliding Walker out into the spot known as the ‘Apex Cover Down’, the spot between the offensive tackle and slot receiver. It’s known in coaching parlance as the RPO-eraser, the corridor that teams like to target on quick-breaking RPOs with slant and post patterns.

Back to the earlier points on linebackers writ large, Walker profiles as an off-ball, see-it-find-it linebacker in Bear fronts. He isn’t someone who can slide down to the edge in the pros; he just lacks the in-line play strength to stand up tackles, who can comfortably gallop over his smaller frame.

That’s fine! Find out what players do and put them in positions to succeed. Walker is a ferocious blitzer, someone who can comfortably mug along any of the interior gaps in pressure packages or slip over to the edge in zone-pressure situations.

His real value, however, will come in coverage. Walker is one of the few who can really move in space and match up to tight ends — he has the agility, length, and smarts to read and redirect, and then match bigger-bodied tight ends at the catch-point.

He has long arms and is comfortable muddying up passing lanes. And his ability to shift from blitzer to dropper without blinking (as comfortable attacking the pocket as he is sliding into space) will make him a real weapon in zone-pressure packages where he is mugged down on the line – the key to those looks being that the offense really thinks the pressure is coming. If your backer is a poor blitzer, offenses aren’t as worried.

Walker’s strengths marry up perfectly with where the NFL is currently at – and the Packers are looking to be at the forefront of that evolution. He is essentially an oversized safety who will allow teams to run what they traditionally would from a three-safety set but with a linebacker body on the field. In the Packers system he will be a star – and quickly.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#90 » by LittleRooster » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:03 pm

Where is that breakdown from? It’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 pm

LittleRooster wrote:Where is that breakdown from? It’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A substack.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:10 pm

While that paints a rosy picture of Walker's potential, it should be known that he was among the worst ILBs likely to be drafted in coverage last season, giving up a 99.7 passer rating. QBs were 30/35 against him.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#93 » by RRyder823 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:While that paints a rosy picture of Walker's potential, it should be known that he was among the worst ILBs likely to be drafted in coverage last season, giving up a 99.7 passer rating. QBs were 30/35 against him.
Yeah I'm not getting all these reports about how he's gonna be great in coverage. We wasn't great in coverage and stuggled in space. He has the tools to be but thats different then the scouting reports would suggest

Hopefully they can coach him up in that department

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#94 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:27 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:While that paints a rosy picture of Walker's potential, it should be known that he was among the worst ILBs likely to be drafted in coverage last season, giving up a 99.7 passer rating. QBs were 30/35 against him.
Yeah I'm not getting all these reports about how he's gonna be great in coverage. We wasn't great in coverage and stuggled in space. He has the tools to be but thats different then the scouting reports would suggest

Hopefully they can coach him up in that department

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

I am not going to pretend to understand all that goes into that number, but in the clip we saw yesterday, they having him playing on the left side of the line at the line of scrimmage and at the snap sprint back across the field 20 yards deep and turn to try and cover the slot WR.

The fact they will even ask him to try crap like that says something. What it says I do not know, but can you imagine if we tried to do that with Barnes?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#95 » by Ayt » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#96 » by Swan Vox » Thu May 5, 2022 4:36 pm

Andy Herman’s deep dive on Quay:

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#97 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 6, 2022 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#98 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#99 » by Profound23 » Sun Nov 6, 2022 7:34 pm

Remember when everyone was pissed that we took Jordan Love over Patrick Queen.

Now we have a Patrick Queen clone, making the same exact mistakes Queen made as a rookie and people are complaining about him. When you start an ILB (or safety) at rookie there are usually growing pains. I am not worried about Quay and know we won't see much out of him until 2023 or 2024.

Return to Green Bay Packers