F
2%

Total votes: 62

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Re: Hot Take Grade the Packers Draft 

Post#41 » by raysbookclub » Tue May 3, 2022 7:25 pm

Wyatt ideally turns out to be awesome, but I do feel some Jerel Worthy vibes. Hopefully that's just superficial looks at his size and random internet scouting reports. There must be a reason that GB thought he'd be gone before 28, even with the off-field concerns.

The most interesting parts of the draft to me are picking 3 WRs and 3 OLs. I figure Doubs will likely make the team, and he'll get a chance to be PR and KR. Toure has a strong chance, too, and I think his main contribution to the team will be ST too, but as a gunner. GB keeps 5 WRs, 6 at most, on the roster. At very least, Amari Rodgers sees that he needs to kick butt this off-season or he's gone. He really did nothing last year.

With 3 OLs, wow, a lot of competition across the line. Even pencilling in #69 at LT and #71 at C, there are three starting spots to be won until Jenkins comes back. Newman started most of the games at RG, but he was at times a weak link in that line. Runyan has played well, but he needs to keep improving. Nijman, man, I'd love to see him at T and killing it. But is he ready?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#42 » by crkone » Wed May 4, 2022 1:21 am

raysbookclub wrote:Wyatt ideally turns out to be awesome, but I do feel some Jerel Worthy vibes. Hopefully that's just superficial looks at his size and random internet scouting reports. There must be a reason that GB thought he'd be gone before 28, even with the off-field concerns.

The most interesting parts of the draft to me are picking 3 WRs and 3 OLs. I figure Doubs will likely make the team, and he'll get a chance to be PR and KR. Toure has a strong chance, too, and I think his main contribution to the team will be ST too, but as a gunner. GB keeps 5 WRs, 6 at most, on the roster. At very least, Amari Rodgers sees that he needs to kick butt this off-season or he's gone. He really did nothing last year.

With 3 OLs, wow, a lot of competition across the line. Even pencilling in #69 at LT and #71 at C, there are three starting spots to be won until Jenkins comes back. Newman started most of the games at RG, but he was at times a weak link in that line. Runyan has played well, but he needs to keep improving. Nijman, man, I'd love to see him at T and killing it. But is he ready?

To your first point. I think we are good. :D

Let's also throw this in there.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#43 » by vegaspacker » Wed May 4, 2022 2:47 am

I think the o-line depth will foster great competition. We'll have traded potential, and comp picks. Reducing cost is a major factor in maintaining a high quality sqaud.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,676

Post#44 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 6, 2022 2:01 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Watson's gonna be good, it's just gonna take a couple years of development. Could take an MVS type role in the short term until he reaches his potential. I like the receiving options we got. I'll be honest, I'm never that big a fan of taking an inline LB with a 1st round pick, unless he's some Patrick Willis/Luke Keuchly type difference maker. But Walker could be a special athlete, so I'm ok with taking the swing. And to me that was the theme of the draft. High upside on both sides of the ball. As a philosophy, I love it.

I started watching some pre draft interviews with him and he is really likable dude as well. I have zero doubt he'll put in the effort to squeeze every ounce of his ability out.

I was trying to come up with a comparison for him and it is really tough. I thought about a young Chris Henry from the Bengals but with great attitude / work ethic. It sadly made me think about what could have been with Henry.

I also went and watched a bit of young Damaryius Thomas, and while he was a lot thicker build, I could see us using Watson in a very similar way. Shame both those guys died so young.

Good call on the Chris Henry comp. Dude never quite lived up to his potential before his life was tragically cut short. He was an absolute physical/athletic specimen but the attitude issues caused him to fall to the 2nd-3rd round. Matt Jones (again, hopefully with a better attitude/work ethic) was another guy I thought of when seeing his crazy size/speed combo.

Return to Green Bay Packers