ImageImage

2023 NFL Draft Thread - Round 1 Thursday 7:00 PM

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,993

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Discussion - Bears Trade #1 to Panthers for DJ Moore + 4 Picks 

Post#1041 » by Daver » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:50 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I’d love this. Part of me wonders if he lasts that long though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you trade up you have 2 2nds use the gigher one n your 13th should get you near 10
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Discussion - Bears Trade #1 to Panthers for DJ Moore + 4 Picks 

Post#1042 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:51 pm

A really good article that basically summarizes the dos and don'ts of the draft

https://sumersports.com/the-zone/nfl-draft-proverbs/
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#1043 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:58 pm

Daver wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Packers really should be begging to trade down.

Why oh why wpuld you want to trade down is ypu can get that slsnt receiver from Ohio state at 13 if anything use your higher 2nd n your 1st to move up.

I don't think he's a special enough player to take at #13.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1044 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Daver wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Packers really should be begging to trade down.

Why oh why wpuld you want to trade down is ypu can get that slsnt receiver from Ohio state at 13 if anything use your higher 2nd n your 1st to move up.

If we are talking JSN, I think he unlocks the entire offense for this team. Who wouldn't give up a first round pick for a 21 year old cooper kupp? Because I think that is what you are getting.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1045 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Daver wrote:

If we are talking JSN, I think he unlocks the entire offense for this team. Who wouldn't give up a first round pick for a 21 year old cooper kupp? Because I think that is what you are getting.

I'd rather have a young Travis Kelce, tbh.
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#1046 » by nagawicka » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:11 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I have been completely and entirely checked-out. Is JSN who we're targeting? If he's healthy I am **** excited for that. He was my favorite player in all of college football two seasons ago.

Lots of smoke there, I think he's the guy we will take if he's there. I could see Texans taking him one pick ahead of us. If that happens, I think we go edge or OT. I just can't see us taking a TE at 13 given the other needs and how deep that position is.

This draft is said to be very weak in WRs, like generationally weak, so it's not clear why we'd go WR early, not Packers MO to draft at a weak position in a weak draft. Why not grab a dominant player at a stronger position when JSN is said to be not as good as Watson
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#1047 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:12 pm

My biggest issue right now is that I don't want to take a TE at 13, but at the same time, I think we are going to miss out on all the WR/TE I want if we don't trade back up from the mid-second. I think JSN is worth 13, he is primarily slot but he's crazy productive (and I think he will be in the NFL) and he fits perfectly with our current offensive personnel.

I wouldn't trade up for him though. If he's not there at 13, I trade down into late 1st and hopefully get another top 50 pick. Ideally we then land Hyatt and one of Kincaid/Washington/Mayer along with edge/OT. I think safety can wait in this draft, there just isn't value high at that position.

It sounds like Washington may drop due to medicals. Walter Football:

"Late in the draft process, teams get their medical reports, and if players get flunked medically, they can be dropped off draft boards. One high-profile prospect who some teams have flunked medically is Georgia tight end Darnell Washington. Along with the medical, some team sources said there are some minor character concerns. If Washington slides on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft, the medical and the character will be the reasons why."
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#1048 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I'd rather have a young Travis Kelce, tbh.

Careful now, you need to 100% guarantee that he's gonna be the next Travis Kelce/Tony Gonzales for it to be a defensible pick taking a TE in the 1st round based on the WAHPROBONER draft value analytics.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#1049 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:15 pm

Read on Twitter
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#1050 » by nagawicka » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:16 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I'm still going to be surprised if we go TE over WR/Edge/OT at 13. I could see us trading up to land a guy we want late first/early 2nd. The Packers have a ton of needs and TE is really deep this year. It just makes more sense to wait.

It's a really really strong TE class, and a really really weak WR class. Why would we draft a WR and not a TE in the first round? I think we pick one TE at Rd2, one later; it's even more likely we pick two DL/DTs Rd2.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1051 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:28 pm

nagawicka wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I'm still going to be surprised if we go TE over WR/Edge/OT at 13. I could see us trading up to land a guy we want late first/early 2nd. The Packers have a ton of needs and TE is really deep this year. It just makes more sense to wait.

It's a really really strong TE class, and a really really weak WR class. Why would we draft a WR and not a TE in the first round? I think we pick one TE at Rd2, one later; it's even more likely we pick two DL/DTs Rd2.

In theory, couldn't this mean that you want to get the one arguably elite WR and maybe another strong TE falls?

I have no idea, just asking based on depth/strength of the positions.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#1052 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:31 pm

nagawicka wrote:

I feel like your thinking is backwards here. If a class is weak, take the strong player while you can; if the class is strong, you're comfortable getting a quality player with a lesser pick.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1053 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
nagawicka wrote:

I feel like your thinking is backwards here. If a class is weak, take the strong player while you can; if the class is strong, you're comfortable getting a quality player with a lesser pick.

My thinking here is why take JSN early when you could get Jonathan Mingo in the 2nd? There isn't really a guy you can do that with in Kincaid. Musgrave is the closest, but I wonder if he's off the Packers board because of medicals.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#1054 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:41 pm

I think JSN is gonna be special but I also think it's perfectly defensible to not view him as a Top-15 value. Played around with the PFF draft simulator and had Christian Gonzales fall to #13. Would be hard-pressed to pass on him even if I still have high hopes for Stokes. If JSN, Paris Johnson, and both top corners are gone by our pick, I'm becoming more inclined to view trading back as the preferred option.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#1055 » by Swan Vox » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 pm

My PFF 3 Round mock let me take:

13: Tyree Wilson
42: Sam LaPorta
45: Jalen Hyatt
78: Quan Martin

Wilson was there at 13 in all three mocks I did. I thought the guy was a top ten lock??? Am I missing something? JSN was gone in all three as well.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1056 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 pm

Swan Vox wrote:My PFF 3 Round mock let me take:

13: Tyree Wilson
42: Sam LaPorta
45: Jalen Hyatt
78: Quan Martin

Wilson was there at 13 in all three mocks I did. I thought the guy was a top ten lock??? Am I missing something? JSN was gone in all three as well.

It depends on how you set your mock up. Public vs PFF is a factor. So is how much you care about positional value, or drafting for needs.

FWIW Tyree Wilson is only their #28th ranked player.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1057 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
nagawicka wrote:It's a really really strong TE class, and a really really weak WR class. Why would we draft a WR and not a TE in the first round? I think we pick one TE at Rd2, one later; it's even more likely we pick two DL/DTs Rd2.

My thinking here is why take JSN early when you could get Jonathan Mingo in the 2nd? There isn't really a guy you can do that with in Kincaid. Musgrave is the closest, but I wonder if he's off the Packers board because of medicals.

Why take Justin Jefferson when you can get Van Jefferson in the second?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Post#1058 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 pm

If the 4 QBs, Bijan, Tyree Wilson, Will Anderson, and Jalen Carter all go before pick 13 that means we'd be in a position to get one of JSN, Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, Lukas Van Ness, or Myles Murphy. Any of those 5 would be a home run imo
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1059 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Why take Justin Jefferson when you can get Van Jefferson in the second?

Pretty sure there isn't anyone here who would rather have Burks or Dotson instead of Watson.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#1060 » by Finn » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:20 pm

nagawicka wrote:

If GB's top WR & top TE are both on the board, & they rate the WR higher, they'll take the WR (they're choosing one or the other in this exercise).

Return to Green Bay Packers