ImageImage

GT: Bucky at Huskers - 11:00 - ESPN

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: GT: Bucky at Huskers - 11:00 - ESPN 

Post#61 » by DrWood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:22 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:I know it's been a terrible year, but this win still means something. Win next week and I think you can still sell this as just an uncharacteristic down year to recruits.

That ship might have sailed. We've already had two significant decommits.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#62 » by DrWood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:24 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Yippee, we win.
Don't know who I want to win between ILL and MICH; generally I'd like the underdog to win, except: Bielema.

Still a puncher's chance at a 5-way tie for first place in the BTW if Michigan wins. I think that would be hilarious, but more importantly it would still go down in the record books as a tie for first in the West for UW.

I sure as hell don't want to play OSU again.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#63 » by Mags FTW » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:24 pm

DrWood wrote:they're bowl eligible regardless of what happens next week, but I kinda wish they don't play unless they win next week.

Nah, you always want the kids to be able to experience a bowl game no matter how crappy it is. Let them get the practices in, bonding experience, swag bags, etc.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#64 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:37 pm

DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Yippee, we win.
Don't know who I want to win between ILL and MICH; generally I'd like the underdog to win, except: Bielema.

Still a puncher's chance at a 5-way tie for first place in the BTW if Michigan wins. I think that would be hilarious, but more importantly it would still go down in the record books as a tie for first in the West for UW.

I doubt Wisconsin would win the tiebreaker. I think it would be Purdue or Illinois, but I'm not sure. And Purdue would have to lose their rivalry game at Indiana, which is plausible but not likely.

Regarding recruiting, I know they've had some decommits, but you're always recruiting, and at least one of them might still choose UW. Plus there's a ton of transfer recruiting these days too.

ETA: I think Illinois would win most tiebreaker scenarios involving more than 2 teams because their only loss in the West would be against Purdue, assuming they beat NW next week. They would lose a 2-way tie with Purdue of course.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#65 » by DrWood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:40 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

I doubt Wisconsin would win the tiebreaker. I think it would be Purdue or Illinois, but I'm not sure. And Purdue would have to lose their rivalry game at Indiana, which is plausible but not likely.

Regarding recruiting, I know they've had some decommits, but you're always recruiting, and at least one of them might still choose UW. Plus there's a ton of transfer recruiting these days too.

other teams are circling our recruits and our players like vultures over the corpse of a cow. It seems a lot more cut-throat.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#66 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:43 pm

DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

other teams are circling our recruits and our players like vultures over the corpse of a cow. It seems a lot more cut-throat.

As they should, and as the Badgers would be doing to them. But I still think stopping the bleeding would matter. This season could still ultimately go down as a blip on the radar. I haven't lost the faith completely.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#67 » by DrWood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

As they should, and as the Badgers would be doing to them. But I still think stopping the bleeding would matter. This season could still ultimately go down as a blip on the radar. I haven't lost the faith completely.

Are we worse than other teams at getting players out of the portal, or do they just not try for many? Seems like a significant problem after the portal became so important.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#68 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:57 pm

DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

Are we worse than other teams at getting players out of the portal, or do they just not try for many? Seems like a significant problem after the portal became so important.

Not sure but I suspect that Chryst was kind of a "set in his ways" type who felt he wanted to recruit and develop his own guys or something. He got a few decent ones like Shaw and Lewis and Mellusi though.

I think they have a better chance of retaining Allen and avoiding any more decommits than they did a few hours ago, but who knows. And I think they would stand a decent chance of replacing Mertz in the portal. Just a Jack Coan type would make the type a LOT better. :lol:
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#69 » by DrWood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:00 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

Not sure but I suspect that Chryst was kind of a "set in his ways" type who felt he wanted to recruit and develop his own guys or something. He got a few decent ones like Shaw and Lewis and Mellusi though.

I think they have a better chance of retaining Allen and avoiding any more decommits than they did a few hours ago, but who knows. And I think they would stand a decent chance of replacing Mertz in the portal. Just a Jack Coan type would make the type a LOT better. :lol:

If you were a QB recruit and were showed Mertz's game film, would you think: I can beat out this guy, or these guys can't develop a QB for **** way I'm going there?
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#70 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:07 pm

DrWood wrote:If you were a QB recruit and were showed Mertz's game film, would you think: I can beat out this guy, or these guys can't develop a QB for **** way I'm going there?

I think most guys would think that Mertz is just kind of a dumb QB with some great physical gifts and there's not much a coach can do about that, but certainly the QB reputation at UW isn't a huge recruiting plus. Their receiving corps actually looks like a surprisingly decent selling point though. Anyway, I can see why they originally gave Mertz a chance over Coan, but at this point he is a known dud and there's no reason a Coan-caliber QB at another school should doubt that he could take his starting spot.

Washington was 4-8 last year and look what Penix has done after picking them. Cameron Ward at Washington State has been light years better than Mertz too. I think the transfer portal is legit option for a QB upgrade, especially if they finish 8-5.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mags FTW » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:09 pm

I miss Joel Stave.

never thought i would say that
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

Post#72 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:24 am

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#73 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:05 am

Officially eliminated from division contention after a Minny choke job.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:15 am

Beat the Goophs next week, finish 7-5, Chryst is gone, I'd consider it a good season overall.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,082

Post#75 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:22 am

Unless something wildly unexpected happens, Leonard is gonna be the next HC and I'm good with it. First Badger HC in my lifetime I can say I saw watched hit moonshots in high school.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#76 » by sdn40 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 am

Leonhard is the correct and safe choice for a number of reasons (some reasons better than others).
The big question I have, is will he embrace an offense that is forward thinking ? Many head coaches with a background on defense will be very conservative on the offensive side of the ball.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#78 » by BUCKnation » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:06 pm

I'm fine with Leonhard, the team seems to really love him and play hard for him, but wholesale changes need to occur within the coaching staff and roster.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#79 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:34 pm

Good. I don't know if it's just caught in bureaucratics or what, but if it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to get it, just give it to him now. It's best for the short- and mid-term health of the program.

If it's not all but done, then by all means don't. I just truly mean if they're set on giving it to him they should not wait.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#80 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:44 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Good. I don't know if it's just caught in bureaucratics or what, but if it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to get it, just give it to him now. It's best for the short- and mid-term health of the program.

If it's not all but done, then by all means don't. I just truly mean if they're set on giving it to him they should not wait.

Public school has to post the job first. Leonard is getting the gig but they have to follow that procedure. It's been that way for other handpicked coaches like Gard and Bielema. It's a formality.

It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, he makes.

Return to Green Bay Packers