ImageImage

Game 13: Packers at Bears - 12/4/22 - Noon - Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Re: Game 13: Packers at Bears - 12/4/22 - Noon - Fox 

Post#201 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Dec 4, 2022 10:56 pm

DrWood wrote:Moving up 4 picks means your draft capital has increased about as much as a mid 2nd-round pick. Also, it improves your chances to get a beast at your pick--or you can trade down, because there's always some team coveting a specific player, and get more rolls of the dice.

Nobody is saying it's not helpful, but to your point about draft capital, that's exactly what I'm saying - no team in their right mind would give up as much for Rodgers now as they would have last summer, but if he plays well the rest of the way, we might be talking about at least an extra mid-2nd or something along those lines, which would mean Rodgers playing well could nearly pay for itself. Or if you prefer, apply that same logic to Love if he takes over and plays well. There's much more of a silver lining in this situation than there is among NBA tanking teams. It's not the same as when useless journeymen have a few random good weeks in the NBA and drop you a few spots in the draft.

Right now it looks like more than half the team has regressed badly since last year. If we actually think they suck this much and they prove us wrong, as far as next year's chances go, that's basically as good as adding talent.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,597

Post#202 » by Profound23 » Sun Dec 4, 2022 11:00 pm

DrWood wrote:
Profound23 wrote:We should have drafted George Pickens over Watson.

Pickens has done fine this year, so I don't know why you think this is funny. Either player could have the better career, and we won't know for a few years who that will be.

That can be said for everyone.

All I know is one player scored 8 tds in the past month and the other has 2 tds all year while having one reception for 2 yards.

If Pickens scored 8 tds in the past 4 games and Watson had 1 catch for 2 yards today, everyone in here would be ready to riot.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#203 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Dec 4, 2022 11:08 pm

Pickens specificly I would never regret not taking even if he had 10 TDs. That dude dropped because of character issues and I'm perfectly fine not taking those dudes even if once in a while they actually work out.

I call that my Ruben Foster rule.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#204 » by DrWood » Sun Dec 4, 2022 11:49 pm

Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

Pickens has done fine this year, so I don't know why you think this is funny. Either player could have the better career, and we won't know for a few years who that will be.

All I know is one player scored 8 tds in the past month and the other has 2 tds all year while having one reception for 2 yards.

If Pickens scored 8 tds in the past 4 games and Watson had 1 catch for 2 yards today, everyone in here would be ready to riot.

I'd hope that people would be more sensible, regardless of which side they were on.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#205 » by DrWood » Sun Dec 4, 2022 11:50 pm

LV and LAR are now winning their games. Such a missed opportunity.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#206 » by Profound23 » Sun Dec 4, 2022 11:52 pm

DrWood wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Pickens has done fine this year, so I don't know why you think this is funny. Either player could have the better career, and we won't know for a few years who that will be.

I'd hope that people would be more sensible, regardless of which side they were on.

If you look through the game threads from the beginning of the season they were not, which is the reason for my post. There were multiple people who posted "We should (or could) have drafted Pickens over Watson" every time he made one play.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#207 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Dec 5, 2022 12:35 am

I don’t care about the Pickens debate. I’ll say Watson started injured, then lost focus and was erratic, and then injuries hit. But he’s a rookie and I forgive the mental mistakes quickly. The injuries were frustrating for me and I hope that’s not his weakness. But his talent, particularly speed, play making, and instincts are undeniable. His ceiling is incredibly high IMHO.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,528

Post#208 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 5, 2022 12:54 am

Iheartfootball wrote:I don’t care about the Pickens debate. I’ll say Watson’s started injured, then lost focus and was erratic, and then injuries hit. But he’s a rookie and I forgive the mental mistakes quickly. The injuries were frustrating for me and I hope that’s not his weakness. But his talent, particularly speed, play making, and instincts are undeniable. His ceiling is incredibly high IMHO.

Yup, it was injuries, not talent, that was the concern. For me at least. There are some guys, in every sport, who can't seem to stay on the field/court. Missing most of training camp and then getting hurt again early in the season was definitely concerning. If he can stay healthy these final 5 games that will bode well.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,287

Post#209 » by Finn » Mon Dec 5, 2022 1:57 am

Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

I don't know about "everyone", but certainly the usual suspects. :lol:
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#210 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:32 am

I know there are people clamoring for Love to play the rest of the year. I say if Rodgers is healthy enough to play, then he deserves to be out there. After the long Hall of Fame career he's had here, and coming off back to back MVP seasons, he's more than earned that.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#211 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:40 am

If they didn’t win I couldn’t post this:

Read on Twitter
Profound23
RealGM

Post#212 » by Profound23 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:56 am

I don't believe this was a meaningless win.

I hope we either win out or lose out at this point.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,855

Post#213 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Dec 5, 2022 5:49 am

DrWood wrote:LV and LAR are now winning their games. Such a missed opportunity.
Draft order means nothing. This isn't the NBA. All the teams with top picks seem to have top picks every single year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#214 » by DrWood » Mon Dec 5, 2022 8:01 am

Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

If you look through the game threads from the beginning of the season they were not, which is the reason for my post. There were multiple people who posted "We should (or could) have drafted Pickens over Watson" every time he made one play.

people are stoopid in game threads
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#215 » by DrWood » Mon Dec 5, 2022 8:09 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
DrWood wrote:LV and LAR are now winning their games. Such a missed opportunity.
Draft order means nothing. This isn't the NBA. All the teams with top picks seem to have top picks every single year.

That just means that draft order doesn't trump idiocy.
If we had the 9th pick, we could have gotten Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave, who could have been #1 WR on day one, and we'd be 7-6 or better right now.
If draft order meant nothing, there wouldn't be any trades to move up.
the_urre14
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#216 » by the_urre14 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 5:06 pm

If we were going to draft a QB in the first round, i would get the willingness of some people to begin tanking. But I would rather finish 9-8, even if we don´t make the playoffs, and continue building. I still think that Rodgers should be our qb next year, don´t think Love is better that him, and it doesn´t make sense to get ride of Rodgers with the cap hit that would suppose. If Love was the next Mahomes, they wouldn´t have given Rodgers that contract. If I have to bet I would say that 2023 will be Rodgers´ last season, so if you think Love could be your qb you can still pick the 5th year option if you think that he can be a Cousins caliber starter in the league.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#217 » by BUCKnation » Mon Dec 5, 2022 5:13 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The reason tanking isn’t a thing in the NFLis because it’s not really a game you can play soft or expect players to not give their all. Only way you can manipulate it is fake injuries to guys.

or you could throw a pick or two in the 4th quarter of a close game like Fields has done multiple times now
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#218 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 5:17 pm

DrWood wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:I'd hope that people would be more sensible, regardless of which side they were on.

people are stoopid in game threads

can confirm. lot's of emotional lashing out and hyperbole. I can say this while being part of the problem
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#219 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 5:21 pm

the_urre14 wrote: If Love was the next Mahomes, they wouldn´t have given Rodgers that contract.

1. Alex Smith was the KC starter and probably the most average QB in the league
2. Love doesn't need to be the next Mahomes, frankly if he is the next Kirk Cousins level QB that is a massive win
3. Rodgers made his power play the year before with the retirement talk and calling out the organization for not engaging him enough on personnel...when the team caved on that, Rodgers took control of the rest of his career as a Packer, it was essentially a concession of him coming back, so he gets to set the terms and that has nothing to do with Love.

The situations aren't that comparable when you peel back the onion even slightly.
the_urre14
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#220 » by the_urre14 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 7:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
the_urre14 wrote: If Love was the next Mahomes, they wouldn´t have given Rodgers that contract.

1. Alex Smith was the KC starter and probably the most average QB in the league
2. Love doesn't need to be the next Mahomes, frankly if he is the next Kirk Cousins level QB that is a massive win
3. Rodgers made his power play the year before with the retirement talk and calling out the organization for not engaging him enough on personnel...when the team caved on that, Rodgers took control of the rest of his career as a Packer, it was essentially a concession of him coming back, so he gets to set the terms and that has nothing to do with Love.

The situations aren't that comparable when you peel back the onion even slightly.

I was not comparing the situations. I meant that if after 2 years working with him and watching him everyday, the Packers thought that Jordan Love was a superstar of the caliber of Mahomes, Josh Allen... they wouldn´t have given Aaron that contract, they would have gotten rid of him like the Colts did with Manning when a player like Andrew Luck was available. And I think that once you have made that move, you have to stick with Rodgers next year and either trade Love like Patriots did with Garoppolo or excersice the 5th year option if you think he can be a starter and Rodgers has just one year remaining. But I can´t concive with the salary cap situation and after extending him this summer that the front office would eat that much dead money, and also because I think Rodgers is the qb that gives us the best chance to win next year.

And yeah, post Rodgers I would a 100% take a Kirk Cousins level player as the next qb, a 3rd consecutive HoF qb has never happened in nfl history.

Return to Green Bay Packers