ImageImage

Game 14: Rams at Packers - 12/19/22 - 7:15 - ESPN/Channel 12 in Milwaukee area

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,514

Re: Game 14: Rams at Packers - 12/19/22 - 7:15 - ESPN/Channel 12 in Milwaukee area 

Post#141 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:21 pm

tski1972 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Would tankers be mad if the team made the playoffs?

Herb Kohl approves of this post.

Big difference. Every seed has a shot in the NFL. Hell the Packers were the last seed and got in on the last day of the season (a fluke) when they won their last title. An 8 seed isn't sniffing an NBA title. Or any bottom seed. I'm not saying the Packers are SB contenders this year but you can't compare NFL the NBA in this case.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Re: Game 14: Rams at Packers - 12/19/22 - 7:15 - ESPN/Channel 12 in Milwaukee area 

Post#142 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Does anyone else get the sense that the tone for the season was set when Watson dropped that TD bomb from Rodgers on the first offensive play of the season? Since then they have been digging out of that hole as a team and *slowly* building cohesion despite some pretty inept in-season roster management, coaching, and game planning. One major problem I see is that playmakers on both sides of the team are rookies and I expected them to make a major impact when they've never experienced the rigors of an NFL season.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,690

Post#143 » by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:35 pm

I am once again asking for more snaps for our 1st round defensive lineman. C'mon Joe!

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#144 » by drew881 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:46 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/matt-lafleur-kneeldown-1-yard-103433749.html

“I didn’t think about that. I just think there’s a way you handle winning in this league. I’ve got a lot of respect for those guys we’re competing against,” LaFleur said.

It was pointed out to LaFleur that point differential is one of the playoff tiebreakers, but LaFleur responded that playoff tiebreakers aren’t something he thinks about during a game. He also said he wasn’t bothered by the Rams using their timeouts late in the game even as there was virtually no chance of them winning.

“If I knew that was going to be the difference, certainly, you do what you’ve got to do, but I think there’s karma involved in that, and I don’t want to be about that, and I’ve got too much respect for them,” LaFleur said. “I’m not worried about that.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#145 » by CWoodfan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I am once again asking for more snaps for our 1st round defensive lineman. C'mon Joe!

Read on Twitter

Wyatt looked good last night, really good. He had 1/2 a sack and penetrated the backfield on running plays.

Wyatt got 9 snaps.

Lowry has 1/2 a sack ... on the season.

Please let Dean join Tyler Lancaster as an ex-Packer after this season.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,151

Post#146 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:24 pm

CWoodfan wrote:Amari Rodgers returning kicks and punts for the Packers instead of Keisean Nixon for over half of the 2022 season is one of the biggest personnel head scratchers I can remember.

The coaching staff has had such an embarrassing season. Sticking with Amari on returns for as long as they did is easily the biggest gaffe. We can talk defensive scheme and not feeding Aaron Jones when the offense was sputtering all we want, but blindly and defensively refusing to move on from Rogers earlier was f***ing malpractice.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,287

Post#147 » by Finn » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:50 pm

DrWood wrote:They played well for the most part.
However, I consider this win and the bears win to be malfeasance on the part of management and coaches.
They could have been tied for the second worst record in the league right now.
I'll say I was wrong if they make the playoffs, but otherwise the team is behaving in such a way to lose value.

The draft is a crapshoot (Tony Mandarich & Rich Campbell, among many others, say 'Hi'). It's obvious to me that the team hasn't given up on winning so why should I? And the development of a few young guys is icing on the cake.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,514

Post#148 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:50 pm

Bisaccia was given full control over ST personnel so it's on him for putting Amari back there. He should have been cut a long time ago but just because he was on the roster was no reason to have him return kicks. Nixon has been on the roster all season (good FA pickup by gute)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#149 » by DrWood » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:15 am

Finn wrote:
However, I consider this win and the bears win to be malfeasance on the part of management and coaches.
I'll say I was wrong if they make the playoffs, but otherwise the team is behaving in such a way to lose value.

The draft is a crapshoot (Tony Mandarich & Rich Campbell, among many others, say 'Hi'). It's obvious to me that the team hasn't given up on winning so why should I? And the development of a few young guys is icing on the cake.

Yes, if the Packers picked the wrong guy 35-40 years ago, it means they never will pick wisely.
If they don't have confidence in the top prospects, they can trade down multiple times and get a bunch of 2-4th round guys.
This argument is just senseless. You can go for wins, or you can try to improve the value of your future players by tanking. Going for wins only makes sense while you have a real chance for the playoffs. Management has been held hostage by Aaron.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#150 » by DrWood » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:17 am

Iheartfootball wrote:Does anyone else get the sense that the tone for the season was set when Watson dropped that TD bomb from Rodgers on the first offensive play of the season? Since then they have been digging out of that hole as a team and *slowly* building cohesion despite some pretty inept in-season roster management, coaching, and game planning. One major problem I see is that playmakers on both sides of the team are rookies and I expected them to make a major impact when they've never experienced the rigors of an NFL season.

The tone was set when they traded Davante.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#151 » by Treebeard » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:53 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Does anyone else get the sense that the tone for the season was set when Watson dropped that TD bomb from Rodgers on the first offensive play of the season? Since then they have been digging out of that hole as a team and *slowly* building cohesion despite some pretty inept in-season roster management, coaching, and game planning. One major problem I see is that playmakers on both sides of the team are rookies and I expected them to make a major impact when they've never experienced the rigors of an NFL season.

I have to disagree with that idea. I've seen it listed often as the tipping point, but if your teams psyche is so fragile it can't handle a rookie dropping his first catch - no matter how easy it should have been, your team is screwed. It's not the drop that is the problem, its the weak mentality of the group. I'm not buying that either...

The problem is that this team was not as good - on the whole - as most of us believed at the beginning of the season. It's still a middle of the road construction, not in the same caliber as the top teams. Losing Davante was big, but there are still plenty of weak spots on all parts of the squad, including some of the coaches.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,707

Post#152 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:03 pm

I mean, you're pretty much seeing the last 3-4 weeks why this team should be a playoff squad and 9-5 right now instead of 6-8 if they just had a non brain-dead DC and 2019 game-manager Rodgers. No, we're not on the level of Philly or Buffalo, but the blueprint was there from the very beginning of the season, and it's really frustrating that it took them 10-weeks to find any sort of identity.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,287

Post#153 » by Finn » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:13 pm

DrWood wrote:
Finn wrote:

Yes, if the Packers picked the wrong guy 35-40 years ago, it means they never will pick wisely.
If they don't have confidence in the top prospects, they can trade down multiple times and get a bunch of 2-4th round guys.
This argument is just senseless. You can go for wins, or you can try to improve the value of your future players by tanking. Going for wins only makes sense while you have a real chance for the playoffs. Management has been held hostage by Aaron.

You do you, continue the pissing & moaning while hoping to foster that losing mentality. Me, I'll continue to enjoy the season. :lol:
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#154 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Treebeard wrote:

I have to disagree with that idea. I've seen it listed often as the tipping point, but if your teams psyche is so fragile it can't handle a rookie dropping his first catch - no matter how easy it should have been, your team is screwed. It's not the drop that is the problem, its the weak mentality of the group. I'm not buying that either...

The problem is that this team was not as good - on the whole - as most of us believed at the beginning of the season. It's still a middle of the road construction, not in the same caliber as the top teams. Losing Davante was big, but there are still plenty of weak spots on all parts of the squad, including some of the coaches.

I mean, I don't believe it's the *only* reason, but I found it a symbolic tone setter. Maybe that's a better way to put it. I also wouldn't describe it as 'weak mentality'. I would say, they lost a leader and veteran in Devante and replaced important positions with rookies and it showed early this season. What I'm hopeful for is the progress they are making. Again, in spite of poor roster management in-game coaching, and game planning.

Listen, this is new to me. I'm practicing being optimistic. That's not a natural state for a guy like me. :)
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#155 » by Giannisland34 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Treebeard wrote:

I thought more of the tipping point was the second half of the Giants game. Being up at half and running the ball at 5 yards per carry. ( Dillon was over 6 ypc) Then abandoning the run and trying to chuck it all around the yard was inexcusable. Defense also started to realize they weren’t going to reach their potential with Barry and some players spoke out a little.
Which was all followed by the worst month or so of Packer football in many years. Win a couple more of those games and the playoff picture and this years team is viewed quite differently.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Post#156 » by th87 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:03 pm

100%. He catches that and we have 10 wins. Minnesota loses and starts doubting themselves.

Total Mr. Destiny moment.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#157 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Mr. Destiny and Taking Care of Business had James Belushi on a heater for a moment.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Post#158 » by th87 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pm

Treebeard wrote:

Team psyches are fragile. Very much so. Draymond punched Poole and now they're imploding. Anthony Mason (with Karl) kind of turned Big Dog and Allen against each other.

Watson dropping that turned Rodgers against him (at least subconsciously, if not consciously), and it probably caused others to press, causing them to drop some too. Rodgers lost trust, started playing dumb, and broke his thumb for the final misfortune.

Return to Green Bay Packers