Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,076

Re: Lions Lead up 

Post#41 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 12:22 pm

DrWood wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
DrWood wrote:I think you're exaggerating things.
Being one game out of the playoffs is probably the worst case scenario. Getting into the playoffs and beating MN or SF in the first round would be pretty sweet, even if they lose in the second round.

You don't mortgage the future to lose in the second round. That would be a failure

Mortgaging the future seems to be an exaggeration, as does failure. If the only thing that counts as a win is a super bowl win, you might as well quit. You set things up to get a chance at a super bowl; that's all you can control.

Normally I'm not someone who is Superbowl or bust, but the Packers pushed as much cap into the future as possible for the last two seasons. They begin next season on negative cap space before any signings or draft picks so the team is likely to lose a few key players this offseason. They basically did a New Orleans Saints type of all in move. It failed for the Saints and now New Orleans is going through multiple seasons of mediocrity to get out of cap hell.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#42 » by Giannisland34 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 2:38 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
You don't mortgage the future to lose in the second round. That would be a failure

Mortgaging the future seems to be an exaggeration, as does failure. If the only thing that counts as a win is a super bowl win, you might as well quit. You set things up to get a chance at a super bowl; that's all you can control.

Normally I'm not someone who is Superbowl or bust, but the Packers pushed as much cap into the future as possible for the last two seasons. They begin next season on negative cap space before any signings or draft picks so the team is likely to lose a few key players this offseason. They basically did a New Orleans Saints type of all in move. It failed for the Saints and now New Orleans is going through multiple seasons of mediocrity to get out of cap hell.

Yeah but isn’t the cap going to go up significantly with the new tv deal? The Sunday ticket was sold already and no longer direct TV. Who’s had it from the beginning. I believe the front office has known this and made it part of their plan.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:25 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Mortgaging the future seems to be an exaggeration, as does failure. If the only thing that counts as a win is a super bowl win, you might as well quit. You set things up to get a chance at a super bowl; that's all you can control.

Yeah but isn’t the cap going to go up significantly with the new tv deal? The Sunday ticket was sold already and no longer direct TV. Who’s had it from the beginning. I believe the front office has known this and made it part of their plan.

It is and even with the expected cap jump the Packers are still in negative cap space entering next season. They also are 30th out of 32 teams in available 2024 cap space.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Re: Lions Lead up - SNF 

Post#44 » by neiLz » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:42 pm

schedule L, Must Win. 20-4. Go pack go. Extend the season so I don't have to solely focus on the bucks playing 3rd stringers and resting everyone else.
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#45 » by Giannisland34 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:55 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Giannisland34 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

It is and even with the expected cap jump the Packers are still in negative cap space entering next season. They also are 30th out of 32 teams in available 2024 cap space.

The Packers are also tied for 2nd most players signed going into next year at 48. Cap space in the NFL can always be made with extensions and moving signed players salary to a signing bonus. Weather it’s Jones, Jaire, Bakhtiari, Campbell, Clark, etc. or all of the above. Cap space can be made to sign who they need without any significant major losses. Plus I don’t think these cap sites are adding the TV deal jump in cap yet because it’s to unknown and are sticking to how it’s been in recent years instead because it’s safer information.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,539

Post#46 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:56 pm

Doesn't matter if Detroit is eliminated they will come to play. Finish with a winning record and knock the Packers out of the playoffs? They'll go all out for that. I know, if we lose and fall a game short there will be "should have tanked at 4-8" talk. **** that. Let's win this damn game and go take out (most likely) SF.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#47 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Jan 3, 2023 4:28 pm

Cant believe people are still mad they didnt tank. This QB literally won the superbowl with a similar team getting in the last day of the season. The teams are so close in the NFL that any playoff team can win the superbowl. Tanking doesnt work in the NFL. Show me the last team that tanked in the NFL and came out in a good situation.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#48 » by neiLz » Tue Jan 3, 2023 5:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Doesn't matter if Detroit is eliminated they will come to play. Finish with a winning record and knock the Packers out of the playoffs? They'll go all out for that. I know, if we lose and fall a game short there will be "should have tanked at 4-8" talk. **** that. Let's win this damn game and go take out (most likely) SF.

This is my fear. Packers D has been awesome but they still give up some dumb plays. My fear is Detroit goes for it on damn near every 4th down and gets them at a great clip (50%) and extends drives to put up points. packers need to get up early, take out their run game and harass Goof all game. He's been solid and has spread the ball around nicely this season.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#49 » by Treebeard » Tue Jan 3, 2023 6:03 pm

Both Williams and Swift are comparatively healthy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#50 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 3, 2023 6:03 pm

The thing to still not trust about the defense is that they've been living off of turnovers during this win-streak. It's covered up Rodgers' mediocre game-manager level QB play, but historically that's just not a sustainable way to win. They can and I think they will win Sunday to complete the epic comeback, but if one of those two things don't change, I'm not holding my breath for this team to make a SB run. But hey, weirder things have happened. Just win baby.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 6:19 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Giannisland34 wrote:

The Packers are also tied for 2nd most players signed going into next year at 48. Cap space in the NFL can always be made with extensions and moving signed players salary to a signing bonus. Weather it’s Jones, Jaire, Bakhtiari, Campbell, Clark, etc. or all of the above. Cap space can be made to sign who they need without any significant major losses. Plus I don’t think these cap sites are adding the TV deal jump in cap yet because it’s to unknown and are sticking to how it’s been in recent years instead because it’s safer information.

Sites like spoctrac are estimating a cap of $225 million which does take the cap jump into account. The Packers are in a spot where they will likely lose a few key guys. Probably a few(but not all) of Preston, Amos, Nijman, Lazard, Aaron Jones, etc. They could also push a little more cap out into 2024 & 2025 but they already are 30th in 2024 cap space. I'm not saying they'll fall apart and win 2 games next year or anything but the Packers have pushed out as much cap as possible last year and this year in order to try and win now, if they do that and fail to win a Superbowl I'm not sure how that could be considered anything but a failure.

That said forget all of that and let's just go win a Superbowl
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#52 » by BUCKnation » Tue Jan 3, 2023 7:30 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:Lots of people upset this is on SNF. Its a no brainer to put this on Sunday night.

Yeah, easy call. Only other argument is for saturday night. Detroit will always go hard to potentially knock out their division rival.

I dont think your average casual is trying to tune into Jags/titans or seattle/LA.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#53 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:23 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:Lots of people upset this is on SNF. Its a no brainer to put this on Sunday night.

It is, but it kind of sucks for those of us that are considering going to the game that travel to GB. I'm debating whether or not to crash at a buddy's after the game on Sunday and wake up at 5 in the morning, or just drive straight back home after the game and get home at 2 in the morning. As long as we win, I don't care how I feel on Monday though.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,892

Post#54 » by ampd » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:32 pm

Obviously I want a win, but a win likely means at least another year of Joe Barry, which is very bad.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#55 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:39 pm

ampd wrote:Obviously I want a win, but a win likely means at least another year of Joe Barry, which is very bad.

I don't think so, I think he'll still be the fall guy unless we go on a ridiculous run in the playoffs. Remember Pettine got canned after two consecutive NFCCG appearances. And yes, I know he wasn't MLF's guy but he still made the decision to keep him as his DC when he took the job and gave him another year when he could've conceivably been canned after the 2019 game against SF.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#56 » by MoMM » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:41 pm

ampd wrote:Obviously I want a win, but a win likely means at least another year of Joe Barry, which is very bad.

Agreed, this is worse than the whole tank for a better draft pick discussion.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 3, 2023 9:31 pm

Squeaking into the playoffs at 9-8 isn't going to determine Joe Barry's job security. Unless some of you are actively rooting for the defense to fail in the playoffs then, well....
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#58 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 9:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:The thing to still not trust about the defense is that they've been living off of turnovers during this win-streak. It's covered up Rodgers' mediocre game-manager level QB play, but historically that's just not a sustainable way to win. They can and I think they will win Sunday to complete the epic comeback, but if one of those two things don't change, I'm not holding my breath for this team to make a SB run. But hey, weirder things have happened. Just win baby.
100% this post.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 9:36 pm

The Packers defense has the #3 overall defense since their bye and is a huge reason for this run they are on. Unless the defense gets embarrassed by Detroit or in the playoffs I think it is certainly possible Barry already saved his job unfortunately
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#60 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 4, 2023 2:54 pm

Do we want Seattle to win or lose?

If Detroit has something to play for, they might be a little more tight/nervous.

If they don't have something to play for, they might just throw caution to the wind and go for it on 4th all the time and run multiple fakes.

Return to Green Bay Packers