DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: Game 17: Lions at Packers - 1/8/22 - 7:20 - NBC 

Post#721 » by DrWood » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:32 am

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:
Zach Tom is a left tackle who chit the bed tonight and was below average outside of a few games. There's a reason Jenkins started at RT once he came back from injury and it's because our other options there were no good either. We had no plan at the position, Gute just decided to wing it.

Are you actually a Packer's fan?

What does this even mean? I would really like an answer.

You think I'm torturing myself watching this garbage as a part of some elaborate scheme?

You seem to be trolling. Granted, a conscientious troll.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#722 » by DrWood » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:38 am

It was a stupid thing to do, but Quay deserves some slack for that last foul. Swift was a teammate at GA, and Quay thought he was seriously injured. After Monday Night, I think it's understandable. . .though still stupid.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#723 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2023 1:47 pm

th87 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
Tonyan is the best of the lot and he's just a journeyman free agent now. Who was the last better-than-average TE the Packers have had on the roster - Finley?
Cook and then they let him leave for no apparent reason and replaced him with Graham corpse.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Nah Bennett
Ha yeah the Bennett 'era' was so bad I blocked it from my memory :)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#724 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:26 pm

Profound23 wrote:Rodgers after the game questioned the play calls on our last drive.

In the 1st half:
I have no clue why we went for it on our 30, especially with a lazard end around on 4th and 1?

I had no issues with going for it, but it was just a bad play call. And I think it was Rodgers' call. I remember him yelling "chill Alaska" or something like that, which if I had to guess, was him audibling to that end around. That should've been a simple sneak, but I don't think Rodgers had the cajones to take that hit.

If someone wants to cut Rodgers slack on the quality of his throws due to a broken thumb, that's fine. But the mental part of his game was seriously bad all season. Between not reading the defense to find open receivers, his clock management, and bad play calls at the line, he often looked like a rookie QB instead of a long-term vet.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,306

Post#725 » by Wooderson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:41 pm

DrWood wrote:It was a stupid thing to do, but Quay deserves some slack for that last foul. Swift was a teammate at GA, and Quay thought he was seriously injured. After Monday Night, I think it's understandable. . .though still stupid.

What happened last Monday makes it worse. Players should be even more acutely aware of medical personnel and getting out of the way so they can act quickly. And Quay himself already had an ejection this season for contact with with a non-player.
Wooderson
RealGM

Post#726 » by Wooderson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:45 pm

Profound23 wrote:There was also a drive in the 1st (maybe the first drive?) where Rodgers had a wide open lane to the end zone and forced a pass. Reminded me of Favre late in his career. He can't take the cold...and he can't do simple reads when pressure is on.

It was 3rd and goal from the 4 yd line on the 1st drive and there was an LB standing on the goal-line right in front of him. Zero chance he scores. He probably still should have ran it but he likely only gets to the 2 yard line with a big hit. They might have been able to go for it at least. He thought Dillon would stop his route and settle which would have been an easy TD but not easy to get on the same page.

The bigger issue was having 1st and goal from the 5 and running it twice for only 1 yard.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#727 » by buckboy » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:46 pm

Not a Packer fan, but watch all of the games because my wife is.

There is no chance they're firing Lafleur. You guys are either being emotional or not thinking it through.

No one is getting fired except Barry, and I don't think that's even certain.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Wooderson
RealGM

Post#728 » by Wooderson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:49 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Rodgers after the game questioned the play calls on our last drive.

In the 1st half:
I have no clue why we went for it on our 30, especially with a lazard end around on 4th and 1?

I had no issues with going for it, but it was just a bad play call. And I think it was Rodgers' call. I remember him yelling "chill Alaska" or something like that, which if I had to guess, was him audibling to that end around. That should've been a simple sneak, but I don't think Rodgers had the cajones to take that hit.

If someone wants to cut Rodgers slack on the quality of his throws due to a broken thumb, that's fine. But the mental part of his game was seriously bad all season. Between not reading the defense to find open receivers, his clock management, and bad play calls at the line, he often looked like a rookie QB instead of a long-term vet.

MLF clearly had sweeps/end-arounds as a point of emphasis, they did it 4 times. The ones with Watson are fine, but they ran 2 with Lazard for 0 yards. That shouldn't even be an option in the playbook, much less on 4th and 1.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,070

Post#729 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 9, 2023 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Wooderson
RealGM

Post#730 » by Wooderson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:09 pm

Spoiler:
humanrefutation wrote:
Read on Twitter

About all you can ask from him after the fact. People clowning him for his reaction in the tunnel was weird, it was clearly due to his own pain/regret.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#731 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:11 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's got some control issues to work through, but at least he's recognized that it's a problem. That's a good start
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#732 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:14 pm

Quay's a hell of a talent with a bright future ahead of him, but he's a rookie and needs to learn how to keep his emotions in check. It happens.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,980

Post#733 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:29 pm

Profound23 wrote:
There was also a drive in the 1st (maybe the first drive?) where Rodgers had a wide open lane to the end zone and forced a pass. Reminded me of Favre late in his career. He can't take the cold...and he can't do simple reads when pressure is on.

It was almost exactly like the giants nfc title game which was Favre's last game.....would be ironic if this was Rodgers last game too. Their careers were basically mirrors of each other.

I was thinking that, too. It's like we had some quarterback magic spell for both of them that lasted decades but wore off with the same Cinderella-at-midnight thud.

We've been blessed with many magical quarterback moments, and thanks for those, but watching the coach turn into a pumpkin is painful.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#734 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:36 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Top 3 OLs don't suck inside the 5 yard line.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's totally all the line's fault and not the WOAT-level redzone play-calling and Rodger's decision-making in general falling off a cliff.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#735 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2023 3:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Yeah, that's totally the line's fault and not the WOAT-level redzone play-calling and Rodger's decision-making in general falling off a cliff.
I didn't think the oline played well yesterday. Especially RT, both Tom and Njiman struggled.

But the redzone thing was an all year problem. They just never found any pet plays they could count on. This killed them in short yardage too.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,597

Post#736 » by Profound23 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:03 pm

Wooderson wrote:
Profound23 wrote:There was also a drive in the 1st (maybe the first drive?) where Rodgers had a wide open lane to the end zone and forced a pass. Reminded me of Favre late in his career. He can't take the cold...and he can't do simple reads when pressure is on.

It was 3rd and goal from the 4 yd line on the 1st drive and there was an LB standing on the goal-line right in front of him. Zero chance he scores. He probably still should have ran it but he likely only gets to the 2 yard line with a big hit. They might have been able to go for it at least. He thought Dillon would stop his route and settle which would have been an easy TD but not easy to get on the same page.

The bigger issue was having 1st and goal from the 5 and running it twice for only 1 yard.

There was at least 4 or 5 times Rodgers had a bunch of running room. One drive in the 2nd quarter they had the entire Lions defense shifted to the left and Rodgers had 30 yards in front of him then tried to throw it to Dillon again.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#737 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:14 pm

Wooderson wrote:
DrWood wrote:It was a stupid thing to do, but Quay deserves some slack for that last foul. Swift was a teammate at GA, and Quay thought he was seriously injured. After Monday Night, I think it's understandable. . .though still stupid.

What happened last Monday makes it worse. Players should be even more acutely aware of medical personnel and getting out of the way so they can act quickly. And Quay himself already had an ejection this season for contact with with a non-player.

Yeah, but if it was a heat of the moment (stupid) thing to do, is your mind really going to "omg Damar Hamlin, medical personnel is key" when your friend is down with an apparent leg injury?

I'm not disagreeing overall and Quay mentioned it in the apology/reflected on medical personnel being important, but in a frustration move that happened in a 3 second window where he lost his cool he probably isn't thinking of the zeitgeist of the NFL.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#738 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:18 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Yeah, that's totally the line's fault and not the WOAT-level redzone play-calling and Rodger's decision-making in general falling off a cliff.

The Badgers and Packers had a similar feel watching them this year.

I don't really think it's huge on the playcalling. I think it's the fact that the defense knows you don't have the personnel to win a matchup inside the 10. So they dare you to throw. Of course Rodgers of most years can make up for that.

What happens is frustrating runs from the 5 with nowhere to go or passing plays where a fade or slant fails or the QB is scrambling with 3rd tier wideouts trying to get open (and they can't).
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#739 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:53 pm

Classic end to a bizarre season all the way around.

Rodgers was a god the last two years - did things no one else could do. This year he was out-played by Jared Goff, and the result was a playoff miss and losing record. I am hopeful this is enough for both parties to move on, whether it's a trade or retirement for Rodgers it doesn't matter.

On the Quay thing - I don't at all agree with what he did, he was wrong with the push. But I do want to say that the trainer put his hands on Quay first, and it didn't appear necessary. There was plenty of room around Swift - putting his hands on an opponent wasn't necessary. Quay needs help with his emotions I"m just saying I don't like when people put their hands on me. Please don't attack me LOL
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#740 » by sdn40 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 5:07 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:

In the 1st half:

You know what else "chill Alaska" might mean ? Absolutely nothing. And with the motion and seeing that they tried that play more than once, it was obviously part of the game plan and not an audible. The real question you should be asking is why try to flank the defense with your slowest receiver and why that's your best short yardage idea. Furthermore, why try the dumb idea more than once

Return to Green Bay Packers